ADVERTISEMENT

Ann Arbor Recs

Going to making the trip to watch the Rebels play UM. Wondering if anyone has been to Ann Arbor before and if so, any recs?
Field is built below ground so the stadium from the outside seems small. Not what you would expect from a 106,000 seat stadium. I know no good hangouts there. But it is a large big ten school so I am sure there are many good off campus places.

Going to making the trip to watch the Rebels play UM. Wondering if anyone has been to Ann Arbor before and if so, any recs?
Pizza House, best Chicago deep dish pizza I ever had outside of Chicago. Warning if you go around noon it is by the campus and lines are 90 minutes long the day we went. We went 11am and avoided any line but when we left 12:30 it was around the block.

Pizza House, best Chicago deep dish pizza I ever had outside of Chicago. Warning if you go around noon it is by the campus and lines are 90 minutes long the day we went. We went 11am and avoided any line but when we left 12:30 it was around the block.
“It’s not pizza, it’s a casserole,”
-John Stewart

I agree, I’m no fan.

“It’s not pizza, it’s a casserole,”
-John Stewart

I agree, I’m no fan.
It is closer to a casserole than a pizza. You eat it with a knife and fork, or many do, that kinda disqualifies it from a pizza.

When I want pizza, I like a lot of different styles from Sicilian to NY to Detroit, etc.

But I do love Chicago Deep Dish. I have to be in the mood for it. A big part of that is that the sausage is (or should be) top notch and it’s usually much, much better than the sausage on the more traditional pizzas.

We once got a slice of pepperoni pizza in Vancouver, @DaMrYo and I, I don’t know if he remembers, it was when Lon did a summer tournament there. Most unappetizing pizza ever. It was a single piece of pepperoni, it was very thick, about the circumference of typical piece of salami. Even drunk, it was awful, and we were two fat pigs back then, didn’t even think of getting another slice.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
It is closer to a casserole than a pizza. You eat it with a knife and fork, or many do, that kinda disqualifies it from a pizza.

When I want pizza, I like a lot of different styles from Sicilian to NY to Detroit, etc.

But I do love Chicago Deep Dish. I have to be in the mood for it. A big part of that is that the sausage is (or should be) top notch and it’s usually much, much better than the sausage on the more traditional pizzas.

We once got a slice of pepperoni pizza in Vancouver, @DaMrYo and I, I don’t know if he remembers, it was when Lon did a summer tournament there. Most unappetizing pizza ever. It was a single piece of pepperoni, it was very thick, about the circumference of typical piece of salami. Even drunk, it was awful, and we were two fat pigs back then, didn’t even think of getting another slice.
It is more like casserole but call it what they want...delicious. Like you I have to be in the mood as it is very heavy and filling. But I rarely get it since it is never as good anywhere else outside of Chicago (and now Ann Arbor). Tried the one in Henderson it was ok.

I don’t even like it when it’s good. I go to Chicago a lot because my wife goes there basically every month ( her home office is there) and have had it there but just not my thing. I don’t like red sauce so that’s mainly why, sane with pasta I don’t eat much pasta, maybe once a year but not with red sauce ever.

NY style and New Haven style just plain cheese or maybe one slice of cheese and one slice of pepperoni at lunch and I’m happy.

Reactions: j. spilotro
It is more like casserole but call it what they want...delicious. Like you I have to be in the mood as it is very heavy and filling. But I rarely get it since it is never as good anywhere else outside of Chicago (and now Ann Arbor). Tried the one in Henderson it was ok.
I’m guessing Amore Taste of Chicago, Sunset and GV parkway. I was hopeful but it’s extremely mediocre at best. Same with the rest of their food.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
I’m guessing Amore Taste of Chicago, Sunset and GV parkway. I was hopeful but it’s extremely mediocre at best. Same with the rest of their food.
Yes that was it! I agree it was mediocre. It wasn’t UNO’s bad but not close to Giordano’s or Malnati’s that’s for sure. And you have to wait 40 minutes for it.

We do have a Giordano’s, it’s in Summerlin. It’s pretty good. I like Malnati’s better. I actually like Uno but not as much as Malnatis.
Uno in Chicago is a lot different than the chain version we get. I didn’t know they had Giordano’s and it’s pretty good? I may have to take a drive next time I am out there.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Uno in Chicago is a lot different than the chain version we get. I didn’t know they had Giordano’s and it’s pretty good? I may have to take a drive next time I am out there.
Yeah, same chain, not quite as good as … but when I eat in Chicago it’s in restaurant … maybe the doughing process/humidity makes a difference …. I think it’s on Charleston and Rampart, Boca Park area.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Yeah, same chain, not quite as good as … but when I eat in Chicago it’s in restaurant … maybe the doughing process/humidity makes a difference …. I think it’s on Charleston and Rampart, Boca Park area.
Ok thanks not quite as good as is still better than anything else outside of Chicago 9 out of 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT