ADVERTISEMENT

Allegiant

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
We've had time to see a number of Rebel games at our new stadium. What are everyone's thoughts? Is it like you expected? What about game times? Concessions. Access? Ticket prices? For me, access is an issue. My wife has mobility issues and Allegiant is more difficult than Sam Boyd was.

Reactions: RebelScrub
We've had time to see a number of Rebel games at our new stadium. What are everyone's thoughts? Is it like you expected? What about game times? Concessions. Access? Ticket prices? For me, access is an issue. My wife has mobility issues and Allegiant is more difficult than Sam Boyd was.
The tight corridor where the military photos are etc. it can get really claustrophobic.

They sure as hell didn’t design the stadium for all the old boosters.

Ticket prices..that’s all supply/demand. Your best bet is to get a ticket on game day like I did when Def Leppard was in town.

I still can’t wrap my head around 13 dollar beers.

Reactions: 220reb

Just for the record, I met “Ronald” at UNLV bus station. He says he used to play for the Rebels back in the 80’s. He was from Ohio and was a running back for the rebels. I told him it was his lucky day and I had a ticket for him. I lost my mother and he said he lost his mother this year so I connected with him. We’re all under hard times as we get older. He says he misses Sam Boyd Stadium and that all the cheerleaders used to be all over him. He never touched alcohol in college. I hung out with him and the only time I left him was at halftime. I had to walk around and move from our seats because I’m superstitious like that. Luckily a fan bought him a beer and some chicken when I was gone.Whoever that nameless fan is..thank you.

I had to ditch him to catch the bus or my bus pass would expire a I gave him the 3 dollars in quarters that I had left. He’s got a bus pass around his neck so I’m hoping he can find his way back to wherever he was headed..

Big props to @Reb21 and Lori who accommodated us and fed us. There were also a couple of fans at lot J who gave us food beforehand. It was my first time begging for food as well.

Love Allegiant. I’ve got club seats, great view and direct access to all excellent F&B options. Have a parking pass thankfully; not sure I would enjoy it as much if I had to contend with parking issues every game. SBS was just horrible.

Great seat and sight lines. Good concessions. 70* all day long. Parking onsite is excellent. Perfect venue!

Reactions: reagan21
Great seat and sight lines. Good concessions. 70* all day long. Parking onsite is excellent. Perfect venue!
Not perfect for UNLV. 20k fans in a 65K seat stadium is not ideal. SDSU just moved into the perfect stadium for a school like UNLV. Ive been to one game and the place is fantastic they couldnt have built a more ideal stadium, from the size, to the 800 local craft beers available at the 200 beer stands, great local food options and so many areas to stand and and watch from inside the stadium. I know UNLV will never get something similar but its what they need unless they can start filling 50K plus seats in their current stadium.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Not perfect for UNLV. 20k fans in a 65K seat stadium is not ideal. SDSU just moved into the perfect stadium for a school like UNLV. Ive been to one game and the place is fantastic they couldnt have built a more ideal stadium, from the size, to the 800 local craft beers available at the 200 beer stands, great local food options and so many areas to stand and and watch from inside the stadium. I know UNLV will never get something similar but its what they need unless they can start filling 50K plus seats in their current stadium.
A fancy, state of the art stadium was incredibly attractive.

In hindsight, I think an on campus UNLV owned stadium with lesser capacity would have been way more ideal.

What does SDSU seat?

Right around 35k, I believe. I drove past it a couple times in the summer.
That would be pretty perfect, imo. Even if you get good regularly and it were to sell out at times … becomes a hot ticket, creates a great environment and home field … I still think playing at some of those tiny pain in the ass BWC/PCAA gyms were very tough because of that environment.

SDSU moved into the perfect venue? I would ask them how they felt on opening day when 90% of the crowd left the game due to the heat! I will take 70 degrees every day!

The design they had for UNLV for the land on the north side of Tropicana next to the airport would have put them under the airport flight path and the stadium would still have been open without AC. Beyond that issue, they also didn't have the money to build the stadium that I believe was in the $400 million or so range. While the stadium could be covered, it was with a material that would just provide partial shade, and not keep out the heat. Can you imagine an airplane coming into the airport only a few hundred fee above the stadium? The noise from the plane would drown out the noise from the fans! https://www.mwcconnection.com/2013/1/15/3881606/unlv-new-football-stadium

Last edited:
In hindsight, I think an on campus UNLV owned stadium with lesser capacity would have been way more ideal.
That was the plan and support was building for it until the Raiders came along and co-opted the effort. Not complaining bc Allegiant is pretty cool but I agree that the ideal situation is an intimate, on-campus stadium. Also great for bringing alums back onto campus and getting them to open their wallets for academic programs. And imagine the views of the Strip!!
BTW, I think it’s only a matter of time before the Raiders want UNLV out so I don’t think the on-campus dream is dead, it’s just hibernating for another decade or so. The dynamics may change if UNLV gets into a P5.

That was the plan and support was building for it until the Raiders came along and co-opted the effort. Not complaining bc Allegiant is pretty cool but I agree that the ideal situation is an intimate, on-campus stadium. Also great for bringing alums back onto campus and getting them to open their wallets for academic programs. And imagine the views of the Strip!!
BTW, I think it’s only a matter of time before the Raiders want UNLV out so I don’t think the on-campus dream is dead, it’s just hibernating for another decade or so. The dynamics may change if UNLV gets into a P5.
Hey, if they want to “buy” the Rebels out, fine by me. Without the Rebels, Raiders aren’t here, they needed SOMETHING tangible to sell the deal. Of course, the Rebs benefit by getting a cozy new home. But we are second class tenants. We get the short end.

Reactions: 220reb and unlove
800 local craft beers and 200 beer stands. This is an over-exaggeration, right?

800 local craft beers and 200 beer stands. This is an over-exaggeration, right?
For cities like SD and Portland, OR...I dont think it is an exaggeration. From my dorm room in Portland, I could smell the barley being cook at Henry Weinhardt brewery two blocks away. I am not joking. Free beer if you go visit the brewery. If you dont $3.25 per six pack. Delicious beer too.

I dont know what going to college like in SD? But in Portland it is cold and wet all the time. When we done with class, the bar is there in the middle of the campus and some nice one outside the campus. We take shelter there and throw down a few pints before we go back to our dorm. Study for a few hours then hit the gym. One hour of weights then 3 hours of basketball. Bloodied and brutal games.

Last edited:
For cities like SD and Portland, OR...I dont think it is an exaggeration. From my dorm room in Portland, I could smell the barley being cook at Henry Weinhardt brewery two blocks away. I am not joking. Free beer if you go visit the brewery. If you dont $3.25 per six pack. Delicious beer too.

I dont know what going to college like in SD? But in Portland it is cold and wet all the time. When we done with class, the bar is there in the middle of the campus and some nice one outside the campus. We take shelter there and throw down a few pints before we go back to our dorm. Study for a few hours then hit the gym. One hour of weights then 3 hours of basketball. Bloodied and brutal games.
Our games got so brutal that the ladies and some men's basketball team came to watch our games. Never an actual fight but I got my eye socket broken and ribs broken a few times. No foul. I dished out 10x as much, though. lol...one dude ran into me and we thought he was paralyse for life. It just a seizure...

Allegiant is pretty nice, just make sure you don't look at the ceiling when inside. They need to rework the speaker system as there is so much echoing going on in there. Will be nice if they buy out some of the buildings around the stadium and build more parking and restaurants.

SDSU moved into the perfect venue? I would ask them how they felt on opening day when 90% of the crowd left the game due to the heat! I will take 70 degrees every day!
Yeah the one day a year it’s wasn’t fantastic weather in SD…

Why the F would SDSU need an indoor stadium. Or 65k seats? Yes I get it places with crap weather need a roof, so that works for UNLV but 35k seats is also what they need not 45k empty seats for every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoRebel
A fancy, state of the art stadium was incredibly attractive.

What does SDSU seat?
Atmosphere was incredible for BYU games this year & last. Get UNLV to a power 5 & we can do the same. We also need the OOC schedule to bring in big names. The question is who stands to profit the most from a successful UNLV FB team. Easy answer is Mark Davis. He seems to enjoy backing and supporting Vegas team. Would love to see him get behind UNLV FB with his cash and get us to the big time.

I remember SDSU Viejas not selling beer, I thought it was a state law in that miserable but beautiful state. I believe I was there for 7 or 8 games REBEL games but it’s been close to 5 years

Notre Dame game at Allegiant was amazing, still think they need to work on the audio system tho

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT