ADVERTISEMENT

2 newest commits are Laolagi & CB Darius Mouton

unlv7163

Retired Number
Feb 26, 2004
Bailey Laolagi was speculated earlier, but first I've heard of Mouton. Very nice pick up when you look at his offer list which includes some Power 5 conference teams.

Darius Mouton profile

Mouton is 3* on ESPN and appears to be our highest rated High School player according to them.. Certainly has a 3* offer list.

This post was edited on 2/3 8:41 PM by unlv7163

Mouton's ESPN profile

Watch Laolagi's tape if you haven't. It will make you forget that we lost Nela real quick. Kid is extremely athletic and fluid. Sheds blocks and pretty solid in coverage for a linebacker as well. Personally I think this kid is going to be really good.

Mouton seems to be the real deal as well. Good speed, turns and finds the ball in coverage. Like that he seems willing to stick his now in there and tackle. His recruiting list is impressive as well.

It will be really interesting to see which guys are going to be red shirted and which guys will be asked to contribute day one.

Are these 2 both upgrades over the kids that flipped off of UNLV commitments? It appears to be to me, but I have not seen enough video of either to tell.

Re: Package Deal?

Shows how much they liked Wily if they were willing to offer his teammate just to make sure he signs. Though I do think Afalava will be a contributer.

I am guessing you are talking about Nela and Philyaw.

Mark Anderson tweeted that Philyaw was NEVER considered a commit by UNLV. He said he was told emphatically that the staff was not going to offer him a scholarship. His stats were actually pretty mediocre at JC. He recorded only 34 tackles and 1 interception his senior year and that was while playing a lot at safety. If he only played corner the low tackles would make sense. What intrigued people about him was that he is a 200 lb kid that runs a reported 4.5. He was invited for a visit but was never offered a scholarship according to some reports. The only advantage that Philyaw has would be possibly being able to play right away because of physical maturity and experience. Based on the number of teams that were looking at Mouton I am going to say he is the better long term prospect.

I honestly believe that Laolagi has the potential to be one of the best members of this class. He is 6-1 200-210 lbs runs well and is a really fluid athlete. He and Nela play different positions, as Nela is an inside linebacker and Loalagi is an outside linebacker. But I think Nela is going to be a 2 down linebacker at the college level. Coverage is just not the best aspect of his game. This kid Laolagi looks like he can play on all 3 downs. Highlight film is just that highlight film, but if you watch Loalagi vs Nela I think there is a lot more to like with Laolagi than Nela. This is no knock on Nela either I think he is going to do good things for Fresno, I just think this kid Laolagi has the potential to do more.

I think UNLV made out in both instances to be perfectly honest.

Watched it yesterday and I really like Laolagi, as well. It's a push, at worst.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT