ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread UNLV vs UNM Game Thread

UNM has been on a roll lately. It seems like our team plays to the level of the competition though, so I'm hoping they show up ready to play. I think we will, but we also have some depth issues, so hopefully the guys can stay out of foul trouble. UNM is a tough place to play, but we've gone in there and won before, so it's possible. I'd put our chances at a win at about 25% though.

The thing that worries me is when you go into a road environment like that, you need someone that can get you a bucket anytime. We don't have that this season.
It's varied by game. Some games, Keylon, other games it's Kalib, other games it's LRod, or Dedan, or JJ, or even Whaley one game. We have to have at least one or two of those guys knock down some big shots if we're gonna pull out a win.

But yeah, I agree, we don't have Harkless or BHam on the team this year who everyone knew was going to get the ball in those situations.

The thing that worries me is when you go into a road environment like that, you need someone that can get you a bucket anytime. We don't have that this season.
I like Kruger, but will admit that it worries me that he will get just enough wins that he stays, but not enough to show any improvement. Either he needs to completely control the rest of the season, or we will most likely finish with a similar season to the last one.

I hope they’re very emotional this game. I think it will backfire on them if they are too pumped.
I have no doubt that Kruger knows the next few games are must win if he has any chance to save his job. I expect his players know that he is on a warm/hot seat, so if they want to keep him around, they better show up in force.

We should win - We match up well with UNM - and we all know this team has to have a challenge to get up for a game. UNM will be fired up -but worse than that is we might be fired up too- they can be good when they want to be

Its put up or shut up time and with their backs against the wall - I think Kruger and the team further confuses the situation and wins a big road game

Win or Lose our national reputation under CKK is trash. On CBS Sports Network yesterday when they were talking about UNM they said it truthfully. We were a BAD loss for UNM. It gave me that sunk feeling like when Howard defeated UNLV football.

Win or Lose our national reputation under CKK is trash. On CBS Sports Network yesterday when they were talking about UNM they said it truthfully. We were a BAD loss for UNM. It gave me that sunk feeling like when Howard defeated UNLV football.
And if we were a bad loss for NM just think what a bad loss we were for Creighton. That loss will probably cost them 2 seeds.

I heard that too and felt the same way

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I know there's limited ways to word this but this is almost verbatim to my post...You'd think he learned his lesson last year.

The way this year in conference play has gone, we will win by 10+... being ranked and "on fire" has not been good to the conference leaders. SDSU just lost, USU has been up and down at times and we should've beat them... it's that crazy of a conference season where as a league we're beating up on each other

78-67 UNLV.

Maybe we’re witnessing some crazy run.

giphy.gif

Some nice mid level top 25 upsets so far today, anything could happen with UNLV and New Mexico.

So far today:

#10 Illinois lost by 8
#11 Wisconsin blown out by Rutgers by 22
# 12 Auburn blown out by Florida 15

As for Gonzaga, more proof that their bubble is slowly bursting:
Up by 10 over Kentucky at the half. So far in the second half out scored 25-12

They are going to run UNLV out of the gym and make us look incompetent. UNM by 20+
This is the first that I've seen someone say UNM blows UNLV out today and actually puts a number next to it. A lot of people said the same thing about UNM when they played Boise, but look at what happened there. Obviously, Boise is a much different team.

With that being said, I think UNLV by single digits.

Some nice mid level top 25 upsets so far today, anything could happen with UNLV and New Mexico.

So far today:

#10 Illinois lost by 8
#11 Wisconsin blown out by Rutgers by 22
# 12 Auburn blown out by Florida 15

As for Gonzaga, more proof that their bubble is slowly bursting:
Up by 10 over Kentucky at the half. So far in the second half out scored 25-12
I actually think that all of the ranked teams you mentioned are overrated. Illinois will lose in the first weekend AGAIN, Wisconsin has been figured out and AJ Storr has looked disengaged, and Auburn had a great win at home the other day but ran into a trending upward team in UF. Auburn will go the furthest out of those teams in March imo.

Gonzaga's win was impressive.

I actually think that all of the ranked teams you mentioned are overrated. Illinois will lose in the first weekend AGAIN, Wisconsin has been figured out and AJ Storr has looked disengaged, and Auburn had a great win at home the other day but ran into a trending upward team in UF. Auburn will go the furthest out of those teams in March imo.

Gonzaga's win was impressive.
I agree. In truth their are very few really good teams and a bunch of mid level programs that are fighting to be ranked between 10th and 25th in the top 25.

Yeah, bad ending to the half but to be honest, they played through the storm and know they can beat them at their place. I guess you can say on one hand, UNLV is disappointed they aren’t up more, UNM is pumped because UNLV played well for most of the first and the Lobos are up … on the other hand, UNLV has to be certain the Pit ain’t shit and they can play with/beat the Lobos, they showed it in the first half.

Half empty/half full situation.

I think Usher Raymond said this best at the end of “DJ got us fallin in love” THANK YOU DJ, HAHA!!!

How come no outrage at the over and back call going to unm with 1;22 to go? Yeah, it was not over and back but unm guy dives on it and clearly knocks it out of bounds. Unm then tied the game on the extra possession.

• Love
What's the point in being upset with refs...
They've already screwed us and tried to screw us multiple times this conference play... at this point it's like tilting at windmills

Reactions: WarthogRebel
How come no outrage at the over and back call going to unm with 1;22 to go? Yeah, it was not over and back but unm guy dives on it and clearly knocks it out of bounds. Unm then tied the game on the extra possession.
They blew the whistle too soon. I agree that it was going out of bounds , but u have to give the possession to UM. As soon as the whistle is blown the plays Is dead. Regardless how obvious It looked Like it was going out of bounds and nobody had a chance on. It's a lot easier to say that after the fact because we got the win still.😆.

Backcourt depth is going to be a big question mark for this team if they have any hope of making a deep tournament run. I like DJ/LuRod/KeBoo as your starters, and Hicks is really blooming with consistent minutes and coaching staff trust. After that, it gets ugly fast. JJ3 is wild inconsistency in human form, if he's not dominating in the first 2-3 minutes of game time then he really needs to see the pine. Justin Weber through up the -14 goose egg in 5 minutes. He's a shorter Travis Bice but without an outside shot. Seriously, I'd rather see a rotation of Chancellor Davis, Andy Hannan and Dantley Walker rotation over him at this point. Nowell is pretty rough on offense but at least he's long and athletic and plays a little defense. Don't know who the hell is going to be able to give DJ a blow for 8 minutes a game if it's not Hicks or an isntantly effective JJ3. I really think Cottrell would be best served as a 3, since he's as soft as playdoh, always banged up, and a poor post defender--I think he's probably the best wing shooter we have, maybe we could find some minutes for him there, especially when you've got KeBoo and LuRod who are flexible enough to guard 2-5.

I will say seeing a team understand they're ice cold from 3 and generally instead of settling for more 3s, attacking the post and the drive lanes is something I'd never thought I'd see under Kevin. LuRod attacking weakside glass instead of sitting outside waiting for another brick to serve up makes a HUGE difference in what this team can do. Too bad it just took 50+ games for the staff to figure it out (next week when he jacks up 8 3pfg in the first half, I reserve the right to chalk this up to some sort of astrological phenmenon).

The team is playing hard on both sides of the ball. Guys are diving on the court, going to war on the glass. I still don't think this is going to be a team that sniffs the tournament, but at least they aren't a punishment to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT