ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Bowl Game Possible

Of course they were but some think they don’t count for some reason.

We clearly regressed this year but recruiting is the best it has ever been here. We have cycled through coaches like prostitutes at a whorehouse yet it will work the 20th time we try it! It is worth waiting another year. Many coaches have taken several years to develop programs. Michigan has all the resources in the world and it took them several seasons to get where they are. Yet lifting up our dog crap program should be a 2-3 season affair?

Last year was 2-10 with 6 (I think) one score losses. They basically flipped three of those this year.

5-7 is about where most thought this team would be..

I think what makes it unpalatable for a lot of folks are two things.

4-1 start falsely raised expectations.

And

The Hawaii loss was awful.

There is nothing weak about an inherent truth.

Don't be salty at me for pointing out the University you root for is ashamed of its city and its denizens.

Can you imagine any other school doing it?

University Formally known as Toledo now Western Ohio.

Akron? Nope, Northeastern Ohio.

UCLA? Nope. University of California Southern.

Fresno State? Nope. San Joaquin Valley State.

San Diego State? University of California at Tijuana.

Look your university is embarrased by you and your city. Take it up with them.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I didn’t think I would witness a verbal murder today. Yikes

Last year was 2-10 with 6 (I think) one score losses. They basically flipped three of those this year.

And

I agree with both of those especially the 4-1. And the collapse really is horrible and people have a right to be upset. Though I don’t get the willingness to keep cycling through coaches and hoping that after 35 years this is the one who gives us the overnight turnaround. Unlike the others at least this guy can recruit let’s see if he can improve on the field. We improved this year if we go back again next year then yeah I get it time to go.

Reactions: ckfitz
I am squarely not on the fire Arroyo train.

But....

A noticeable regression throughout the season and a underperfoming offense as the season went on.

This team was built with more "stars" on offense. And our defense is good enough to have an above average offense, which we were seemingly built to be.

But we struggled to have good starts, even when we were playing our best. Passing game was a constant struggle outside of our first game. It is disappointing because we have a offensive minded head coach with an NFL level

Losing to Hawaii was bad, and nearly losing to UNR at home nearly just as bad.

Our coverage and return teams are awful on our deepest team maybe ever. That does not add up. Special teams coach may need to be fired.

Defense gave up many easy pitch and catches and struggled more than any team in conference against air force. They overall did better than the offense, but were not always "good".

I do like our overall talent and depth, and it seems like we will return a good amount. But they need to do more with these guys next year. That is for sure. There needs to be a bigger jump next year. This year had the MW quite a bit down than usual. I doubt it will be the same next year.

I agree with both of those especially the 4-1. And the collapse really is horrible and people have a right to be upset. Though I don’t get the willingness to keep cycling through coaches and hoping that after 35 years this is the one who gives us the overnight turnaround. Unlike the others at least this guy can recruit let’s see if he can improve on the field. We improved this year if we go back again next year then yeah I get it time to go.

I tend to be a bit more on the conservative side when it comes to coaches and firings. I think 4 years is fair since it can take that long to flip a roster (portal has changed that a bit).

That said, if Rebs had lost today and UNLV decided to part ways, I wouldn't have had a huge issue with it.

I mentioned the Hawaii loss as a bad one, and it was awful. The other loss that didn't sit well with me at all was SJSU. It's not the loss, it's how they lost. SJSU is a team that UNLV should match up well with physically and athletically. They got absolutely embarrassed in that game. Shouldn't happen.

As fans we have to hope if Arroyo is retained he brings in another good class and he improves as a coach with another year under his belt.

I tend to be a bit more on the conservative side when it comes to coaches and firings. I think 4 years is fair since it can take that long to flip a roster (portal has changed that a bit).

That said, if Rebs had lost today and UNLV decided to part ways, I wouldn't have had a huge issue with it.

I mentioned the Hawaii loss as a bad one, and it was awful. The other loss that didn't sit well with me at all was SJSU. It's not the loss, it's how they lost. SJSU is a team that UNLV should match up well with physically and athletically. They got absolutely embarrassed in that game. Shouldn't happen.

As fans we have to hope if Arroyo is retained he brings in another good class and he improves as a coach with another year under his belt.
I agree while if we lost I still would have preferred to keep him another year I would have understood it more. But I agree as you and Dcut said if no improvement then a change makes sense. We should be bowl eligible next year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
With the next week of possible waivers for 2 teams with 2 FCS wins, a rescheduled Buffalo/Akron game, and a pending NMSU game, there is still uncertainty swirling.

I feel like we miss out on the back-in-bowl. Buffalo will beat Akron if they play. The combo of NMSU getting their 6th win and getting their 2 fcs wins waiver OR Army getting their 2 fcs wins waiver will knock us out.

Going to a bowl game, no matter the bowl game, is a good thing. But if they go and get crushed, it would have been better to not go from a recruiting and fan opinion of Arroyo in my opinion.

Go at 5-7 and win, finish 6-7... shows some positivity. Go and lose, fall to 5-8 would be disastrous.

And

The unpalatable part was the product on the field. Completely atrocious football on all three phases except for placekicker.

Of course they were but some think they don’t count for some reason.

We clearly regressed this year but recruiting is the best it has ever been here. We have cycled through coaches like prostitutes at a whorehouse yet it will work the 20th time we try it! It is worth waiting another year. Many coaches have taken several years to develop programs. Michigan has all the resources in the world and it took them several seasons to get where they are. Yet lifting up our dog crap program should be a 2-3 season affair?
???

I think firing the coach gives you the option of turning down the Dr. Scholes Insoles Hammer Toe Classic Peoria Bowl if the cost is too high. And make no mistake, you're not going to spend 3-400k to go to a bowl you know your fanbase isn't going to attend when you have a buyout and a new coach you need to sign.

But I think you let the team vote if it's not a crazy expense. These kids played hard this year and it's not like we go to a lot of bowl games even in the best of times. You get some extra practices and maybe some of your talent is a little less likely to transfer portal if the know the athletic department will reward them for improvement.

Akron intercepted Buffalo with around 3 minutes to go on the Buffalo 35 yard line. Basically just had to run the ball a few times and either punt or kick a field goal. First play, they run it and fumble the ball, recovered by Buffalo.

Buffalo now driving and has 2nd and 10 on the Akron 16 yard line.

Akron intercepted Buffalo with around 3 minutes to go on the Buffalo 35 yard line. Basically just had to run the ball a few times and either punt or kick a field goal. First play, they run it and fumble the ball, recovered by Buffalo.

Buffalo now driving and has 2nd and 10 on the Akron 16 yard line.
Keep posting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT