ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Bowl Game Possible

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
Apparently we still have a chance at a bowl game. Sounds like multiple 5-7 teams may have to fill spots this year and I guess UNLV (assuming a win vs UNR) would be #2 on the list because of grades.
Is it bad that I’m excited about possibly backing into a bowl at 5-7 only to get slaughtered by Liberty? Lol only at UNLV would an 8 loss season be considered somewhat successful.

Apparently we still have a chance at a bowl game. Sounds like multiple 5-7 teams may have to fill spots this year and I guess UNLV (assuming a win vs UNR) would be #2 on the list because of grades.
Is it bad that I’m excited about possibly backing into a bowl at 5-7 only to get slaughtered by Liberty? Lol only at UNLV would an 8 loss season be considered somewhat successful.

Well that would be an extension by failure …

Yeah way to reward incompetence. 6 game losing streak and looked horrible? Here’s a participation trophy err....bowl game to celebrate your “great” season. This is ridiculous.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
UNLV will lose money getting invited to bowl, UNLV wouldn't sell 150 tickets.

That said they will lose to Reno, stop nonsense, lol

• Sad
Reactions: LVRebel2000
UNLV will lose money getting invited to bowl, UNLV wouldn't sell 150 tickets.

That said they will lose to Reno, stop nonsense, lol
I heard on the radio they were 12 point favorites over Reno. Not sure how that can be possible considering how the product on the field has been. I’m not a big bettor but it seems like Reno would be a nice play, lmao.

I’m sure we’d be the last team any bowl would want but that’s not how it works for 5-7 teams. They would have to take us because of our APR (Grades) ranking. I’m sure some of these bowls are thrilled that they’d get a 5-7 UNLV instead of the other 5-7 teams like Auburn, Miami, Michigan State, Missouri, Georgia Tech, etc.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I’m sure we’d be the last team any bowl would want but that’s not how it works for 5-7 teams. They would have to take us because of our APR (Grades) ranking. I’m sure some of these bowls are thrilled that they’d get a 5-7 UNLV instead of the other 5-7 teams like Auburn, Miami, Michigan State, Missouri, Georgia Tech, etc.

Are you suggesting UNLV vs Bowling Green or Akron wouldn't titillate you? Or any other college football fan?

Rebels vs Zips, sign me up!

Reactions: RebelScrub
Decades of 2-win seasons and folks are still complaining when the team has improved and has a shot at a bowl game. We’d be backing into one for sure but perhaps a reality check is in order.
PS: Beat Reno!!

If only it were a Spelling Bee.
Yeah, no shit. The UNLV APRin’ Rebs! Who really gives two f*. Stay eligible, that’s all. You’re here to play sports and win games. Want to get your degree? Awesome. Want to get high grades? Awesome. But it’s not necessary, not required, you were given a scholarship to produce on the field. Period.

It is cool that the ncaa is using APR to sort bowl eligibility. Easy to make fun of, but rewarding academic performance is a positive step for an organization that historically let SAs be treated as chattel.

Reactions: RunninReb1989
It is cool that the ncaa is using APR to sort bowl eligibility. Easy to make fun of, but rewarding academic performance is a positive step for an organization that historically let SAs be treated as chattel.

Why does it matter (at least for football and basketball) The idea that it's still amateur athletics has gone by the wayside. 1 and dones and guys going to school for a semester really doesn't embody the spirit of amateurism.

A 5-7 Auburn or Florida State wouldn't be at all upset at missing out on the Henry Winkler Reverse Mortgage.Com Bowl because UNLV had a better APR. Add to it, a trip to a lesser bowl is often more costly for G5 school financially, vs any benefits gained from it.

10-15 years ago, I would have agreed with you now, not so much.

Reactions: ckfitz
My opinion:

If we were to be selected for a bowl:
- I would be happy because that means we beat Reno.

- I would also be happy because I get to see the team play an extra game. It feels like yesterday that the season just started.

Don’t really care about the record at this point. Doesn’t really make a difference to me whether we go to a bowl carrying a 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 record. Not like any of those records results in some glamorous bowl invite anyway.

My opinion:

If we were to be selected for a bowl:
- I would be happy because that means we beat Reno.

- I would also be happy because I get to see the team play an extra game. It feels like yesterday that the season just started.

Don’t really care about the record at this point. Doesn’t really make a difference to me whether we go to a bowl carrying a 5-7, 6-6, or even 7-5 record. Not like any of those records results in some glamorous bowl invite anyway.
The thing is, deserved or not … whether it would cost extra money or not (it would) … that extra game … it could very well give the players a taste. Granted, it’s not the success we wanted or they wanted … but they’ve never had a whiff let alone a taste … it could serve as an off season motivator, a cause for heavy reflection of where they went wrong, how they could have played in a bigger bowl had they only done this, that, or the other.

We do not have a winning culture at all and haven’t for a long time, but you just don’t get one like that … this COULD serve as a building block.

Reactions: ckfitz
Decades of 2-win seasons and folks are still complaining when the team has improved and has a shot at a bowl game. We’d be backing into one for sure but perhaps a reality check is in order.
PS: Beat Reno!!
Have you seen them play the last 7 games? This is 2 win (caliber) football if not worse. We beat a few awful teams to start the year and that’s it. Tell me which of the 4 wins is a good win? They have well underperformed and you are apparently making excuses for the failures.

Unhealthy Low expectations and feeing good about going to a bowl when it’s not deserved is why this program “culture” will never change.

If we back into a bowl game it does give the potential of a building block for next year and something to help build a better culture.

It also could be a game where we get over matched and blown out which could be the opposite.

I think you take the chance if we get an invite and go for it. Possible benefits outweigh the risk.

But man if we do go to a bowl game and get smoked it could further support the losing culture we have had forever...

If we back into a bowl game it does give the potential of a building block for next year and something to help build a better culture.

It also could be a game where we get over matched and blown out which could be the opposite.

I think you take the chance if we get an invite and go for it. Possible benefits outweigh the risk.

But man if we do go to a bowl game and get smoked it could further support the losing culture we have had forever...

Difficult to predict the psychology of athletes/teams.

I'm not sure what happens this year would impact next year all that much, in terms of building a winning culture.

Beat Reno, maybe you head into next year on a high? I don't know. Would winning a 'bowl' game be a building block to changing the culture? Hard to say.

In the end I think three things determine your teams fortunes in most sports.

Coaching, talent and cohesion/chemistry.

I guess culture could fall into cohesion/chemistry. But it's kind of chicken or the egg territory. Does it take great culture to produce a winner or does winning produce that culture?

I agree, I think you take any invite. It's another week of practice. Its more experience for young players. It's another game of experience for your coaches and coordinators..

If players can improve, have to imagine coaches can learn as well.

Lose to Nevada and your players will be digging tunnels to get out of town.

Not enough people in this city care about the game for them to have any fear of being shamed..

Unlike your University doing everything possible to separate itself from the name Reno. Which, having had the misfortune of having to work in Reno for a two week stint, I totally understand.

old and weak

There is nothing weak about an inherent truth.

Don't be salty at me for pointing out the University you root for is ashamed of its city and its denizens.

Can you imagine any other school doing it?

University Formally known as Toledo now Western Ohio.

Akron? Nope, Northeastern Ohio.

UCLA? Nope. University of California Southern.

Fresno State? Nope. San Joaquin Valley State.

San Diego State? University of California at Tijuana.

Look your university is embarrased by you and your city. Take it up with them.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Difficult to predict the psychology of athletes/teams.

I'm not sure what happens this year would impact next year all that much, in terms of building a winning culture.

Beat Reno, maybe you head into next year on a high? I don't know. Would winning a 'bowl' game be a building block to changing the culture? Hard to say.

In the end I think three things determine your teams fortunes in most sports.

Coaching, talent and cohesion/chemistry.

I guess culture could fall into cohesion/chemistry. But it's kind of chicken or the egg territory. Does it take great culture to produce a winner or does winning produce that culture?

I agree, I think you take any invite. It's another week of practice. Its more experience for young players. It's another game of experience for your coaches and coordinators..

If players can improve, have to imagine coaches can learn as well.
Beating Reno, getting to a bowl game, no matter what it is, will show progress for the program which Arroyo can use as a positive for his recruiting.

Beating Reno, getting to a bowl game, no matter what it is, will show progress for the program which Arroyo can use as a positive for his recruiting.

I don't disagree in terms of wins or losses being helpful. Just not sure it changes 'the culture'...

Where it can help is if Reno and UNLV are recruiting the same high school/transfer/portal player.

It's such an odd year. I thought this was a 5-7 team at the start of the year. They have every chance to get there. Yet after a 4-1 start that 5-7 would feel pretty disappointing.

They finish 4-8....I think some serious discussions about Arroyo's future will be had. And if they decide to part ways, there better already be feelers out for potential replacements so they can start re-recruiting the inevitable rush of guys that will enter the portal.

I don't disagree in terms of wins or losses being helpful. Just not sure it changes 'the culture'...

Where it can help is if Reno and UNLV are recruiting the same high school/transfer/portal player.

It's such an odd year. I thought this was a 5-7 team at the start of the year. They have every chance to get there. Yet after a 4-1 start that 5-7 would feel pretty disappointing.

They finish 4-8....I think some serious discussions about Arroyo's future will be had. And if they decide to part ways, there better already be feelers out for potential replacements so they can start re-recruiting the inevitable rush of guys that will enter the portal.
IF we let Arroyo go, I'd retain the DC. He’s shown something to me so I’d like to give him extra time here. That and he has a reputation for recruiting, which won’t hurt us at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebel5280
Well first 5-6 game of the weekend is an upset and our bowl chances are already dwindling. Mizzou and DRF take a bowl game. Looks like there’s no room for error now and every single favorite would need to win tomorrow for us to make a bowl. Feel good about Bama, Georgia, Penn State, Tennessee winning but I’m sure one upset will happen. It’ll probably be FAU or something.

North Texas and Utah State were both good wins.
Of course they were but some think they don’t count for some reason.

We clearly regressed this year but recruiting is the best it has ever been here. We have cycled through coaches like prostitutes at a whorehouse yet it will work the 20th time we try it! It is worth waiting another year. Many coaches have taken several years to develop programs. Michigan has all the resources in the world and it took them several seasons to get where they are. Yet lifting up our dog crap program should be a 2-3 season affair?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT