ADVERTISEMENT

OSU, WSU, Cal, Stanford

Only problem for WSU and OSU is by coming in 3rd or 4th in mwc fb and 6th or 7th in mwc basketball, they may cement mediocrity...
yeah, but if we're going to get ourselves in a position to get an invite to the big boy table, you have to compete with them. If Coach Odom is legit, and the new offense turns some heads, there's no reason why we can't have a quick turn-around.

Reactions: 220reb
The AAC annual payments from media is closer to $7 million. With UCF, Cincy, and Houston leaving they will be make a lot less.
My bad, google search was a bit misleading. ACC is 17 mil (I did say AAC in the search, lol). That does change things. I think a new PAC could at least potentially get enough to beat that to sway SMU, Tulane, or Maybe Memphis.

I don't see Cal and Stanford ever joining forces with the MWC.

Oregon State and Washington State only bring new states to the MWC. That's it. Without Pac funding and being labeled 'P5' they aren't diamonds in the rough. In fact, they have been punching above their weight and now will, likely, return to reality. I don't see a reason for the Big12 to invite them.
Both OSU and WSU upgraded their stadiums, they are in a position to be the best football programs in the MW immediately IMO. Does that make it appealing for them? No, esp finincially. If the 4 get added I would assume a better TV deal gets added, probably not by much though. Would be really amazing to add GonZaga and St. Mary’s for basketball, but I think they are content where they are unless it was a move to a P5 conference.

Both OSU and WSU upgraded their stadiums, they are in a position to be the best football programs in the MW immediately IMO. Does that make it appealing for them? No, esp finincially. If the 4 get added I would assume a better TV deal gets added, probably not by much though. Would be really amazing to add GonZaga and St. Mary’s for basketball, but I think they are content where they are unless it was a move to a P5 conference.
Gonzaga would add a lot, St. Mary's maybe not so much.
With Big 12 likely saying no to Gonzaga, a possible switch to a new PAC/MW would likely improve their TV payout, their overall schedule strength, and they would still be the top dog in the conference.
I can see them entertaining the idea, especially with the NW schools in the PAC to help them out.
St. Mary's, meh. Adding more than one non football school is a tougher sell. They would not move the needle enough financially IMO.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
No one is adding basketball schools just for basketball. Its not a driving factor in realignment. Those schools may choose to ask for a move if they feel they can get invited, but not for a share of the $$ that would make it worthwhile. Football is the driving force. Basketball specific schools will have to be satisfied with negotiating larger payouts for tournament wins, etc.

OSU beat Boise and Fresno last year then beat Florida in the Vegas Bowl. They are expected to challenge for the Pac title this year. Hopefully, they can keep a lot of the players going into the 24/25 season. Time will tell us how these two Pac# schools do in keeping P5 talent. WSU already lost a combo guard commit for next year because of the Pac# collapse. I don't know what they will be losing with football.

yeah, but if we're going to get ourselves in a position to get an invite to the big boy table, you have to compete with them. If Coach Odom is legit, and the new offense turns some heads, there's no reason why we can't have a quick turn-around.
My point was its dangerous for WSU and OSU to go mwc and be bad. It sort if leaves them in a no win position if they don't dominate

OSU beat Boise and Fresno last year then beat Florida in the Vegas Bowl. They are expected to challenge for the Pac title this year. Hopefully, they can keep a lot of the players going into the 24/25 season. Time will tell us how these two Pac# schools do in keeping P5 talent. WSU already lost a combo guard commit for next year because of the Pac# collapse. I don't know what they will be losing with football.
This encapsulates my point that these schools are only “top notch schools” because they are in a P5. Once they come back to reality, they’ll struggle to compete at our level.

Watch how quickly the staffs from OSU’s and WSU’s football and basketball programs leave as soon as their seasons are done!

This encapsulates my point that these schools are only “top notch schools” because they are in a P5. Once they come back to reality, they’ll struggle to compete at our level.

Watch how quickly the staffs from OSU’s and WSU’s football and basketball programs leave as soon as their seasons are done!
I agree with what you said. There is a big difference between a school like Utah and schools like OSU and WSU. That is why I believe that UNLV will surpass OSU and WSU during the next year or two. On a level conference and conference revenue plating field, UNLV has more to offer long term, including facilities and location.

OSU and WSU were on the bottom of the PAC 12 in recent years in football attendance, which is no doubt part of the reason they are on the outside looking in. Though both had decent years. Oregon State had one of it's best seasons in years and smoked Florida in the LV bowl. WAZZU made a bowl as well.

I agree that there is a strong possibility that fan interest dips if they were to downgrade conferences. But OSU would be far and away the favorite in the MW next season if they were to join.

WAZZU averaged about the same attendance as UNLV last year ( ~1k more). Though it was one of UNLV's best seasons in recent years, while it was a ho hum year for WAZZU.

I always thought it would be just fine for UNLV to be a bottom feeder in a power … because being in a power increases resources … and that gives you more room to make moves and improve. May not happen, but the opportunity is at least there. It’s an opportunity not afforded as is. Small fish in a big pond is better than a big fish in small pond …. IMO.

Instead, we are getting bottom feeders from a power to join a small pond. It’s meh.

I think we are approaching the inevitable haves/have nots with a more distinct delineation this time around and I think however it shakes out, it’ll stand pat for quite some time. Closed window.

I always thought it would be just fine for UNLV to be a bottom feeder in a power … because being in a power increases resources … and that gives you more room to make moves and improve. May not happen, but the opportunity is at least there. It’s an opportunity not afforded as is. Small fish in a big pond is better than a big fish in small pond …. IMO.

Instead, we are getting bottom feeders from a power to join a small pond. It’s meh.

I think we are approaching the inevitable haves/have nots with a more distinct delineation this time around and I think however it shakes out, it’ll stand pat for quite some time. Closed window.
Yup… they failed to position themselves 15-20 years ago. Think about it, TCU, UTAH, BYU all once apart of the MW and able to move on. Granted they had a much better athletic department, fiscally sound, and better fan support. Market was also bigger for them. Point being it was attainable had they just did what they are doing right now 15 years ago. I really don’t see how this ends in a good way for UNLV. Too little too late IMO with no sense of winning culture or steady revenue generating program, add in the fact that UNLV’s perception is still bad as a university. Unless Odom catches lightening in a bottle and strings together 5 magical seasons (which he would be poached before that) I really don’t see how we land in the have nots side of things.

This today's ESPN interview with Gloria Nevarez is interesting. I think this is the first time I've heard that the MWC would be willing to take Stanford and Cal's non-football programs as an option. I would love to have their football but I still would love to get their Olympic sports teams also.

This today's ESPN interview with Gloria Nevarez is interesting. I think this is the first time I've heard that the MWC would be willing to take Stanford and Cal's non-football programs as an option. I would love to have their football but I still would love to get their Olympic sports teams also.

Only if it adds money to our pockets otherwise no thanks.

Reactions: 220reb
Stanford right now is in a real shyt show. Their President is on his way out for some reported manipulation of research data. Their interim President set to take over Sept. 1st said he won't be involved with athletics until he steps in. Condolezza Rice has been appointed to help out on the athletics situation. What can go wrong? lol

Can't see how we work on a merger or even anything with the Pac# overall with their situation.

Wall Street Journal article on Stanford situation.

• Wow
Stanford right now is in a real shyt show. Their President is on his way out for some reported manipulation of research data. Their interim President set to take over Sept. 1st said he won't be involved with athletics until he steps in. Condolezza Rice has been appointed to help out on the athletics situation. What can go wrong? lol

Can't see how we work on a merger or even anything with the Pac# overall with their situation.

Wall Street Journal article on Stanford situation.
Meanwhile, it would still only take .1% of their endowment to bankroll their athletics department for a year without any media rights consideration.

They obviously have their own problems to solve. I would guess to them, *not being* associated with mwc helps their issues more than *being* associated with mwc would.

If the university and its board or whoever makes decisions there decides it will fund its athletics fully, they will be fine. Remains to be seen though

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT