ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing has changed in CW’s world it looks like

Chris is a success - according to "UNLV fans" he is NOT ?? - That is freaking crazy - they say he "has a bad work ethic" LMAO . Tons of people hating on him in this thread _ NOT one of them are sitting as pretty as he is ..................."Haters Never come from a better place than you are " Love that quote !! just sounds like a bunch of sad pathetic bitter Rebel fans to me. SAd they haven't won anything in decades - Sad they never tapped into his talent. SAd they never got a slice of the pie - Sad SAd SAd

Lots of times kids are weary of who they BUST their ASS for _ Sometimes they don't like to WORK for people they dont like _ Chris is a complicated kid - He is not a bad kid and sure as hell doesn't need a bunch of diehard has been UNLV fans diminishing his incredible achievements.
He doesn’t work Bobby. He’s lazy. He’s always been lazy. He needed to be dragged to practice. He wouldn’t put in the regular work let alone extra work.

I’m talking about his work ethic, not success or numbers, both would be higher if he worked. But he doesn’t. He slides by on his talent.

Reactions: UNLVbro
No kidding! A poor work ethic doesn’t post “21.1 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 2.3 blocks in 34.2 minutes per game” in the NBA when starting this year.
I’m guessing you didn’t see his childish antics and laziness from up close. He put up fantastic numbers at UNLV as well, but that didn’t make him a hard worker. He’s in the all time top 5 list of players that don’t work hard at all that I’ve seen since 1998.

You keep citing numbers and attribute hard work for those numbers, not talent. Bennett had great numbers here too. They did the absolute minimum to get better and they still put up huge numbers here. Numbers don’t equal hard work. Assuming that is extremely flawed logic.

So you’re actually saying Cwood is a hard worker. Is that your actual claim in all of this? You’d be the first to think that. It’s well known that he’s not.

I think faulty assumptions are commonly made. Like numbers are due to only hard work. Or players that come from stable households have strong morals and the family won’t be on the take. It’s a decent assumption to make, but they can be wrong.

10 million left. How long
I’m not going to disagree with Bennett. He’s another, same cloth. Loads of talent, decent dudes, didn’t work hard. AB flopped mightily.
dude I have asthma just like Bennett these days. Holy crap, mine is bad.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I’m guessing you didn’t see his childish antics and laziness from up close. He put up fantastic numbers at UNLV as well, but that didn’t make him a hard worker. He’s in the all time top 5 list of players that don’t work hard at all that I’ve seen since 1998.

You keep citing numbers and attribute hard work for those numbers, not talent. Bennett had great numbers here too. They did the absolute minimum to get better and they still put up huge numbers here. Numbers don’t equal hard work. Assuming that is extremely flawed logic.

So you’re actually saying Cwood is a hard worker. Is that your actual claim in all of this? You’d be the first to think that. It’s well known that he’s not.

I think faulty assumptions are commonly made. Like numbers are due to only hard work. Or players that come from stable households have strong morals and the family won’t be on the take. It’s a decent assumption to make, but they can be wrong.
I never mention UNLV numbers. Those are NBA numbers. The NBA! You can’t go 20 and 10 and 2 plus blocks per game as a starter in the NBA as a lazy player. Won’t happen. Never will happen. Also, it’s not like C Wood was a can’t miss phenom coming out of HS. He was ranked about 80th in the country and a 4 star.

Also, I don’t see the correlation with Bennett who is considered by many to be the Biggest No. 1 NBA draft bust in history. In contrast C Wood was forced to work his way up from the G leauge.

Correction. ESPN ranked Woods 71st and 4 star.

Last edited:
I never mention UNLV numbers. Those are NBA numbers. The NBA! You can’t go 20 and 10 and 2 plus blocks per game as a starter in the NBA as a lazy player. Won’t happen. Never will happen. Also, it’s not like C Wood was a can’t miss phenom coming out of HS. He was ranked about 80 th in the country and a 4 star.

Also, I don’t see the correlation with Bennett who is considered by many to be the Biggest NBA draft flop in history.
You’re right, he’s non stop effort and grit on the floor …. It’s evident to everyone. He drips pride and drive.

Don’t know what you want me to say, you keep going back to numbers and you equate it solely to effort.

You’re right, NBA people, coaches and trainers, scouts are all wrong. Next year he’s going to get the Mr Floorburn award, I’m sure.

You’re right, he’s non stop effort and grit on the floor …. It’s evident to everyone. He drips pride and drive.

Don’t know what you want me to say, you keep going back to numbers and you equate it solely to effort.

You’re right, NBA people, coaches and trainers, scouts are all wrong. Next year he’s going to get the Mr Floorburn award, I’m sure.
His effort is good enough to go 20+ ppg, 10+ rpg and 2+ bpg as a NBA starter. Or maybe he is so so so talented that CW can just coast by, not play hard in the NBA and still put up those numbers. Because the NBA is so easy.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
His effort is good enough to go 20+ ppg, 10+ rpg and 2+ bpg as a NBA starter. Or maybe he is so so so talented that CW can just coast by, not play hard in the NBA and still put up those numbers. Because the NBA is so easy.
I conceded. He’s the hardest working Rebel I’ve ever seen. An incredibly talented, strong willed, hard working guy, his head is on completely straight and there’s just no stopping him. Even MJ is floored by his work ethic.

• Haha
I conceded. He’s the hardest working Rebel I’ve ever seen. An incredibly talented, strong willed, hard working guy, his head is on completely straight and there’s just no stopping him. Even MJ is floored by his work ethic.
I never mentioned UNLV at all. We are not talking about practice at UNLV. Production in the leauge.

Keep it in context. He doesn’t play hard and is only going through the motions. Also, it’s only the NBA.

Yes, good numbers in the nba mean you are a hard worker. I agree.

I conceded Tim. He’s a very hard worker.

He definitely changed. He went from needing to be awaken and literally dragged to workouts on a daily basis while he whined to being a high energy work out monster. The transformation in his motivation has been inspiring.

I hope my kids use him as a role model when it comes to work ethic.

Yes, good numbers in the nba mean you are a hard worker. I agree.

I conceded Tim. He’s a very hard worker.

He definitely changed. He went from needing to be awaken and literally dragged to workouts on a daily basis while he whined to being a high energy work out monster. The transformation in his motivation has been inspiring.

I hope my kids use him as a role model when it comes to work ethic.
No Joe. You got it right. CW is the same person and has not matured and hasn’t made any improvement in his work ethic since he was a 17 yo freshmen at UNLV. Because when you are a 17 years old your path in life is already determined. You are what you are and just accept it. If you fall, no need to dust yourself off, get up and work harder. And maybe learn from your mistakes. CW should have just accepted not getting drafted, gone to Doolittle and played in the Desert Reign. Because all the smart guys said you didn’t have what it takes to make a NBA roster, let alone become a starter, average 20 and 10 and sign a $41 mill contract. Becoming a starter in the NBA is reserved for the top 150 players in the world. CW could never become that because he was a lazy 17 yo. Consequently, there are no life lessons any kid could take from CW’s road to the NBA.

Last edited:
No Joe. You got it right. CW is the same person and has not matured and hasn’t made any improvement in his work ethic since he was a 17 yo freshmen at UNLV. Because when you are a 17 years old your path in life is already determined. You are what you are and just accept it. If you fall, no need to dust yourself off, get up and work harder. And maybe learn from your mistakes. CW should have just accepted not getting drafted, gone to Doolittle and played in the Desert Reign. Because all the smart guys said you didn’t have what it takes to make a NBA roster, let alone become a starter, average 20 and 10 and sign a $41 mill contract. Becoming a starter in the NBA is reserved for the top 150 players in the world. CW could never become that because he was a lazy 17 yo. Consequently, there are no life lessons any kid could take from CW’s road to the NBA.
Another great example of a unique personality concerning psycho-development is BDJ. Bryce Jones was a talented athlete but sitting behind Rice's bench you could tell Rice couldn't control him. I remember Rice literally turning around to one of the assistant coaches and just asking what is BDJ doing. BDJ wasn't running the plays prescribed... And BDJ struggled in some ways here. But when he got to the NBA his mentality helped him flourish....on the court. BDJ believing he was "him" helped him flourish. But off the court...? Well, we saw firsthand the true consequences of what can happen when no one tells you "no". RIP BDJ 😔
We’ve had a lot of tough situations and BDJ was one of them. Extremely hard headed. Again, very likable, a good dude. But they had an incredible stubbornness - and stubbornness isn’t always bad, it can be a great strength, MJ was probably the most stubborn player ever. But his stubbornness was in a refusal to lose. So I guess where it’s focused.

BDJ flew off the handle a lot of times. It usually was when things didn’t go his way, it would spiral and get worse.

Marcus Banks was more stubborn. I think it’s what got him to the league as a lotto. He had a huge chip on his shoulder and it drove him. He felt very slighted and he was going to prove people wrong. And he did. He made his living, secured his family and retirement. But I also feel it was a double edged sword. I think it kept him from reaching where he could have.

But in both cases, those guys went very hard. They worked. A stubbornness of your own laziness because you are entitled is a really different thing. CW had/has that. It’s hurt his entire progression. In a different way than the two above. The two above can look in the mirror and know they gave their all, left it on the table. CW can’t say that unless he lies to himself. But deep down, he’s gotta know he didn’t come close to giving it his all because it was such an extreme case of entitlement and laziness.

We’ve had a lot of tough situations and BDJ was one of them. Extremely hard-headed. Again, very likable, and a good dude. But they had an incredible stubbornness - and stubbornness isn’t always bad, it can be a great strength, MJ was probably the most stubborn player ever. But his stubbornness was in a refusal to lose. So I guess where it’s focused.

BDJ flew off the handle a lot of times. Usually was when things didn’t go his way, it would spiral and get worse.

Marcus Banks was more stubborn. I think it’s what got him to the league as a lotto. He had a huge chip on his shoulder and it drove him. He felt very slighted and he was going to prove people wrong. And he did. He made his living, and secured his family and retirement. But I also feel it was a double-edged sword. I think it kept him from reaching where he could have.

But in both cases, those guys went very hard. They worked. A stubbornness of your own laziness because you are entitled is a really different thing. CW had/has that. It’s hurt his entire progression. In a different way than the two above. The two above can look in the mirror and know they gave their all, left it on the table. CW can’t say that unless he lies to himself. But deep down, he’s gotta know he didn’t come close to giving it his all because it was such an extreme case of entitlement and laziness.
Agree on the highlights of differences in players' stubbornness. For CW you could see his entitlement come to a head when he wasn't drafted. He was tweeting about just waiting to get his name called etc. As you said the NBA and its insiders didn't see it that way. And a lot of people ragged on him for his entitlement even in that moment when it culminated in CW not hearing his name called.

If everybody recalls he sent out a tweet after the draft that "everybody was on notice and that he was coming to claim his place in the NBA".

Feel like when CW started his NBA career he more had a 'haters are my motivation' kind of mindset. And that proved effective for him... and helped him secure a lucrative financial contract. But every once in a while, you would still see his entitlement rear its head. The biggest example was when he tweeted to Dallas thanking the fans and wiping his account of any affiliation with the Dallas Mavericks in a move that seemed presumptive and almost spiteful.

Simply put, CW is a good man, whose career I follow closely (and have his basketball card along with Derrick Jones from that era). Plus, he's been able to keep his nose clean, and for a lot of young men that's not an easy thing to do.

Still, every once in a while you see his entitlement, summarized as a 'me, not we' perspective, show itself. And that mindset is difficult to incorporate consistently into team sports. I'm sure CW would take offense to us or anybody saying he's lazy. But what else can it be summarized as...? Yes, he got his bag of money. But what is his motivations beyond that? Just to show that he belongs in the NBA AND CAN BE A PRIMARY OPTION...? Because it doesn't feel like it's to win a championship.

As Anthony Marshall once stated, "Talent can always be denied by work ethic."

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
We’ve had a lot of tough situations and BDJ was one of them. Extremely hard headed. Again, very likable, a good dude. But they had an incredible stubbornness - and stubbornness isn’t always bad, it can be a great strength, MJ was probably the most stubborn player ever. But his stubbornness was in a refusal to lose. So I guess where it’s focused.

BDJ flew off the handle a lot of times. It usually was when things didn’t go his way, it would spiral and get worse.

Marcus Banks was more stubborn. I think it’s what got him to the league as a lotto. He had a huge chip on his shoulder and it drove him. He felt very slighted and he was going to prove people wrong. And he did. He made his living, secured his family and retirement. But I also feel it was a double edged sword. I think it kept him from reaching where he could have.

You came to this assumption because of his time at UNLV as a 17/18 yo freshmen/sophomore? You realize CW has career earnings approaching $50 million and is considered one of the top free agents in the market right now and the rumors are he will end up with the Heat. When CW hangs up his Nikes in all probability his carreer earnings will probably end up in the $75-80 mill range or more. I don’t think he will have much introspection and regrets.

Last edited:
One other point. It will be a good move for CW getting out of Dallas. IMO Kidd underachieved as a coach and under utilized his roster when the year before the Mavs are playing in the Western Conference finals and then they miss the playoffs. The Heat with Jimmy Butler and Spoelstra who IMO is one of the top coaches in the NBA would be a great fit for CW.

You came to this assumption because of his time at UNLV as a 17/18 yo freshmen/sophomore? You realize CW has career earnings approaching $50 million and is considered one of the top free agents in the market right now and the rumors are he will end up with the Heat. When CW hangs up his Nikes in all probability his carreer earnings will probably end up in the $75-80 mill range or more. I don’t think he will have much introspection and regrets.
My point. He doesn’t work hard. At all. That’s been his history.

Your point. He has numbers and money so he works hard.

We just don’t agree on it, let it go. It’s ok that we don’t agree on this, it’s not the end of the world man. We won’t convince each other of the other’s viewpoint, either. It’s ok …. Really.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Agree on the highlights of differences in players' stubbornness. For CW you could see his entitlement come to a head when he wasn't drafted. He was tweeting about just waiting to get his name called etc. As you said the NBA and its insiders didn't see it that way. And a lot of people ragged on him for his entitlement even in that moment when it culminated in CW not hearing his name called.

If everybody recalls he sent out a tweet after the draft that "everybody was on notice and that he was coming to claim his place in the NBA".

Feel like when CW started his NBA career he more had a 'haters are my motivation' kind of mindset. And that proved effective for him... and helped him secure a lucrative financial contract. But every once in a while, you would still see his entitlement rear its head. The biggest example was when he tweeted to Dallas thanking the fans and wiping his account of any affiliation with the Dallas Mavericks in a move that seemed presumptive and almost spiteful.

Simply put, CW is a good man, whose career I follow closely (and have his basketball card along with Derrick Jones from that era). Plus, he's been able to keep his nose clean, and for a lot of young men that's not an easy thing to do.

Still, every once in a while you see his entitlement, summarized as a 'me, not we' perspective, show itself. And that mindset is difficult to incorporate consistently into team sports. I'm sure CW would take offense to us or anybody saying he's lazy. But what else can it be summarized as...? Yes, he got his bag of money. But what is his motivations beyond that? Just to show that he belongs in the NBA AND CAN BE A PRIMARY OPTION...? Because it doesn't feel like it's to win a championship.

As Anthony Marshall once stated, "Talent can always be denied by work ethic."
No offense but who the hell is this guy? And why has he been so quiet on the boards!!!

• Haha
One other point. It will be a good move for CW getting out of Dallas. IMO Kidd underachieved as a coach and under utilized his roster when the year before the Mavs are playing in the Western Conference finals and then they miss the playoffs. The Heat with Jimmy Butler and Spoelstra who IMO is one of the top coaches in the NBA would be a great fit for CW.
Meh..blame the coach again. Whatever!!!

Chris Wood will be a laker.

Add taxes..then u gotta pay off security,handlers, crew..mansion in LA.

The gravy train ends one day.

In 36 years, I taught thousands of teens. I coached hundreds.
In school, past school, and teaching school, and working with a whole lot of people, in my 78 years on this earth, let me say this simply.

The idea that people do not change after early teen is absolute, well, you can fertilize your lawn with it.

Are some people unwilling or unable to change? Of course. Read Rebel-net. Inherent factors exist. The generaized idea that humans in general are locked in is ridiculous.

These arguments smack of something beyond explanation of human development.
Sorry buddy but how many kids did you teach go on to kill people or become gangbangers..

Wanna give a rough “eyeball” estimate? thank you Dr. Russell Hurlbert!!

Sorry buddy but how many kids did you teach go on to kill people or become gangbangers..

Wanna give a rough “eyeball” estimate? thank you Dr. Russell Hurlbert!!
Small world, eh?

When I was young, little league, I spent the night at his house a few times. Was friends with his son Brian through little league.

And Dr Hurlburt’s grandson, Brian’s son, Trey, walked on to the Rebels the past few years. I don’t know if he graduated or is a senior.

• Wow
Reactions: RebelScrub
My point. He doesn’t work hard. At all. That’s been his history.

Your point. He has numbers and money so he works hard.

We just don’t agree on it, let it go. It’s ok that we don’t agree on this, it’s not the end of the world man. We won’t convince each other of the other’s viewpoint, either. It’s ok …. Really.
Who says CW doesn't work hard as a Pro? Forget his time at UNLV as a immature 17/18 year old college student. Apparently, you feel at that time his work ethic was basked in. He couldn't improve. Once a slacker, always a slacker. What about his work ethic in the NBA? There is no way any player sticks in the NBA for 8 years with out putting in the work in the gym or playing hard. Also, It just so happens that CW's eight year career average of points and rebounds at 14.8 ppg and 7.3 rpg are the highest of any UNLV NBA players since Marion. Who else has posted better numbers over their career since? When is the last time a UNLV player averaged 20 ppg and 10 rpg as a starter in the NBA? I don't buy it at all. CW wasn't a can't miss phenom coming out of high school or at UNLV. Yes the numbers are important because CW's numbers as a pro directly reflect the hard work he put in to improve his game and to stick in the NBA for 8 seasons. He had to put in the work and a lot of it. Numbers are OBJECTIVE. You can't fake 20 and 10 as a NBA starter. No way. CW ain't Oliver Miller. Opinions are well.... just opinions.

Last edited:
Well, his numbers should be interesting when he signs with the lakers.

He’ll be teammates with King Lebia…

having said that and having not watched an NBA game since forever..

I’ll gladly tune into this trainwreck.

I still stand by my Heat prediction.

There are different levels of working hard. Carmelo worked hard on offense and was lazy as hell on defense. It wasn't skill based with him it was effort. Same with Harden. They only care about their numbers not about defense. The same is true of Wood from what I have seen cares more about his numbers and is a defensive train wreck. Not because he doesn't have the skill but because he doesn't put in the effort. He is one of those guys. Not coincidentally title-less.

There are different levels of working hard. Carmelo worked hard on offense and was lazy as hell on defense. It wasn't skill based with him it was effort. Same with Harden. They only care about their numbers not about defense. The same is true of Wood from what I have seen cares more about his numbers and is a defensive train wreck. Not because he doesn't have the skill but because he doesn't put in the effort. He is one of those guys. Not coincidentally title-less.
Nail. Head! Great observation, Boston! Feel like this article from SI also highlights what you just described and what others are indicating:

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/07/10/best-young-free-agents-oubre-wood-washington-watford-dosunmu

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Nail. Head! Great observation, Boston! And I feel like this article truly highlights what you just described and what others are indicating:

Yup 7 year window to make all your money, then after that, you’re garbage.

Wow Kelly Oubre? Remember him at Findlay Prep? Went to Kansas.

The whole point is this..you are who you are, the NBA will sort you out.

The NBA is a revolving door.

From the time you’re a pre teen to a full grown ass man to an Old elderly man.your soul, your work ethic..Who you are is who you ARE!

You ARE who you ****ing ARE. Nothing changes!!

Scrub, I hope you're a betting man. Cuz you most definitely got a nose especially not having watched the NBA in a while... See link:

Yup 7 year window to make all your money, then after that, you’re garbage.

Wow Kelly Oubre? Remember him at Findlay Prep? Went to Kansas.

The whole point is this..you are who you are, the NBA will sort you out.

The NBA is a revolving door.

From the time you’re a pre teen to a full grown ass man to an Old elderly man.your soul, your work ethic..Who you are is who you ARE!

You ARE who you ****ing ARE. Nothing changes!!
His defense is borderline hilarious. He really gives zero effort on that end. Bennett may have given more on that end. Not really, but just saying.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Scrub, I hope you're a betting man. Cuz you most definitely got a nose especially not having watched the NBA in a while... See link:

Yeah I absolutely suck at betting.

I bet Notre Dame -27 at William Hill last fall.

The Rebels covered!!

Lost 200 f’n dollars.

• Sad
His defense is borderline hilarious. He really gives zero effort on that end. Bennett may have given more on that end. Not really, but just saying.
CW's defense is borderline hilarious? Zero effort on defense? We are not talking about UNLV as 17-18 yo kid. But in the NBA? I have watched CW play 20+ times in the NBA and he still plays with a chip on his shoulder or that he has something to prove. In fact, defense is one of CW's noted areas of improvement. Also, I don't think Bennett had 5 blocks in middle school, let alone against LeBron James and the Lakers in overtime:

"In the final seconds of overtime during a matchup against the Los Angeles Lakers last week, Christian Wood came up with a game-saving block on LeBron James to extend the contest to a second overtime, where the Mavericks pulled out a win. Wood finished that game with five blocks to go along with 24 points, 14 rebounds and six assists.

The scoring is nothing new. It's the primary reason why the Mavericks traded for him. But the improved defense, well, that's turning some heads.

"I definitely wanted to prove [people wrong], and had something to prove," Wood told CBS Sports. "I think I had a couple games where I was just over two or three blocks a game and I was definitely feeling good about that, just proving people wrong. That was big for me."

Last edited:
CW's defense is borderline hilarious? Zero effort on defense? We are not talking about UNLV as 17-18 yo kid. But in the NBA? I have watched CW play 20+ times in the NBA and he still plays with a chip on his shoulder or that he has something to prove. In fact, defense is one of CW's noted areas of improvement. Also, I don't think Bennett had 5 blocks in middle school, let alone against LeBron James and the Lakers in overtime:

"In the final seconds of overtime during a matchup against the Los Angeles Lakers last week, Christian Wood came up with a game-saving block on LeBron James to extend the contest to a second overtime, where the Mavericks pulled out a win. Wood finished that game with five blocks to go along with 24 points, 14 rebounds and six assists.

The scoring is nothing new. It's the primary reason why the Mavericks traded for him. But the improved defense, well, that's turning some heads.

"I definitely wanted to prove [people wrong], and had something to prove," Wood told CBS Sports. "I think I had a couple games where I was just over two or three blocks a game and I was definitely feeling good about that, just proving people wrong. That was big for me."

There is a reason no one will pay him more than the minimum it is because he is a defensive liability. He ranks as one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

Speaking of Wood ... the one-and-done Maverick has only received veteran minimum contract offers so far, according to NBA insider Marc Stein. Given that the Mavs reportedly considered offering Wood an extension last season, he's had quite the fall from grace if teams are truly unwilling to pay for than the minimum for 16.6 points and 7.3 rebounds on 51.5 percent shooting overall and 37.6 percent from deep.

Of course, there are reasons why league-wide interest in Wood has been so tepid. Defense has always been a problem, and it prevented Mavericks coach (and former Lakers assistant) Jason Kidd from ever truly trusting Wood with a major role last season. Wood is relatively undersized to serve as a traditional rim-protector at 6-9. He theoretically makes up for that with a 7-3 wingspan, but his skinny frame, ball-watching and inconsistent motor have made him an ineffective defensive center. He has the athletic tools to be an effective power forward on defense, but that position demands a greater attention to detail in areas like screen-navigation and rotation. Wood can cover ground, but he's never successfully fit within a team defensive structure.

I’ve been in the front lines at the mental
Loving the conversations happening here! And just to spice things up and encourage some positive debate, let me drop some knowledge from educational psychology:

So, there are a bunch of different theories, but "most experts seem to agree that a person's personality gets pretty set in stone by the time they're done with early childhood."

The professors and experts I've worked with in developmental psychology and applied behavior analysis are of consensus that by age 5, a kid's personality is pretty much formed. That's when entitlement can start to rear its head, and I think it gets passed down in all sorts of ways, even through genetics.

If you're looking for a quick summary, check out these cliff notes on developmental psychology:
i think 5 is a little too early..

It’s the never ending nature vs nurture debate.

Remember we all know the brain isn’t fully developed until like 24 according to the latest “research”

Some people grow up rather quickly, others have a huge stunted growth.

@UNLVbro

So, when Chris was a rookie, he was on a 2 way contract for part of the year with the Sixers (the team I follow) and the Delaware 87ers (G-league). That was prime Process Tanking Sixers and I had a rooted interest. He was sort of buried on the frontcourt bench behind young guys Nerlens Noel, Jerami Grant, Jahil Okafor, Richaun Holmes and old at the end of their career in Elton Brand and Carl Landry.

According to everyone in the organization and the beat writers at the time, Chris was one of the hardest working guys on the team in practice. So much so that he became kind of a loved guy by the Philly faithful. And that year we won 10 games, so we were dying for anything resembling entertaining. Always staying late getting in extra work and training. His problem at the time came from a few more pressing things.

1. He was effectively a tweener. His frame was too small to bang in the post, and while he had a good offensive game, he lacked lateral quickness to get separation to get open, especially off the bounce.

2. His basketball IQ was relatively low. He had a hard time with defensive rotations and understanding the spacing and motion in Brett Brown's offense. He was a pretty good help defender but again as a tweener he couldn't guard traditional 4s in the post, and he didn't have enough ball and movement skills to get open working as a stretch/euro 4. And Nerlens Noel was a much better help defender and did the other parts of the back up big better, and Robert Covington and Jerami Grant were both hellions on defense who had just as much offensive game (if not more) on the wings.

3. He took small losses and early hooks very personally, and there were times where his attitude got him a few DNPs.

So I haven't followed him too closely except in the abstract after he left Philly, but I think that the poor attitude, low basketball IQ labels are hurting him right now in his free agent career far more than any he's lazy narrative. He has improved his body a decent amount--I don't ever think he won't be a slim, lanky player.

I think the false dichotomy narrative that we have going on here sort of lacks nuance. NBA teams will play guys that don't bust their ass with tons of talent and those guys will put up numbers. Very few guys go from an undrafted 5 years stuck on benches to putting up consistent to starters who put up consistent top 80 numbers in BPM, VORP, and PER. You can cover up raw stats on bad teams, but the advanced metrics typically find the frauds.

Last edited:
So, when Chris was a rookie, he was on a 2 way contract for part of the year with the Sixers (the team I follow) and the Delaware 87ers (G-league). That was prime Process Tanking Sixers and I had a rooted interest. He was sort of buried on the frontcourt bench behind young guys Nerlens Noel, Jerami Grant, Jahil Okafor, Richaun Holmes and old at the end of their career in Elton Brand and Carl Landry.

According to everyone in the organization and the beat writers at the time, Chris was one of the hardest working guys on the team in practice. So much so that he became kind of a loved guy by the Philly faithful. And that year we won 10 games, so we were dying for anything resembling entertaining. Always staying late getting in extra work and training. His problem at the time came from a few more pressing things.

1. He was effectively a tweener. His frame was too small to bang in the post, and while he had a good offensive game, he lacked lateral quickness to get separation to get open, especially off the bounce.

2. His basketball IQ was relatively low. He had a hard time with defensive rotations and understanding the spacing and motion in Brett Brown's offense. He was a pretty good help defender but again as a tweener he couldn't guard traditional 4s in the post, and he didn't have enough ball and movement skills to get open working as a stretch/euro 4. And Nerlens Noel was a much better help defender and did the other parts of the back up big better, and Robert Covington and Jerami Grant were both hellions on defense who had just as much offensive game (if not more) on the wings.

3. He took small losses and early hooks very personally, and there were times where his attitude got him a few DNPs.

So I haven't followed him too closely except in the abstract after he left Philly, but I think that the poor attitude, low basketball IQ labels are hurting him right now in his free agent career far more than any he's lazy narrative. He has improved his body a decent amount--I don't ever think he won't be a slim, lanky player.

I think the false dichotomy narrative that we have going on here sort of lacks nuance. NBA teams will play guys that don't bust their ass with tons of talent and those guys will put up numbers. Very few guys go from an undrafted 5 years stuck on benches to putting up consistent to starters who put up consistent top 80 numbers in BPM, VORP, and PER. You can cover up raw stats on bad teams, but the advanced metrics typically find the frauds.
I was making one point and that is that a player doesn't stick in the NBA with out putting in the time in the gym and at practice which is needed to improve his game unless he is an exceptional talent such as Allen Iverson who is one in millions. Practice? CW is not that guy. Also, he has a lot of warts as most players. But just because he was a slacker as 17-18 yo at UNLV doesn't mean that he had the same work ethic as a pro and an as an adult. I didn't know about his work ethic and reputation in the 76'er organization where:

"According to everyone in the organization and the beat writers at the time, Chris was one of the hardest working guys on the team in practice. So much so that he became kind of a loved guy by the Philly faithful. And that year we won 10 games, so we were dying for anything resembling entertaining. Always staying late getting in extra work and training. His problem at the time came from a few more pressing things."

IMO it say a lot about a person in how they respond to adversity when they are knocked down. Do they quit? Do they play victim? Or do they brush themselves off, get up and go to work to improve themselves? IMO the massive draft night let down for CW was the best thing that could have happened to him and his career. He went to work. That's all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT