ADVERTISEMENT

New staff

Rebel77fl2

Conference POY
Apr 15, 2016
TJ retained two assistants from Iowa State, UNLV has updated the roster showing just one open assistant position. I wonder if we only have one to fill and KK keeps Buckley and Slocumb.

Interesting to see how this leads to improvement next year...

Keep one okay keep both and imo a huge mistake. He needs a couple coaches that can kill it on the recruiting trail and I don't see that in either of these guys.
I don't know. Gilbert, Kaluma and Zaon was an impressive class. Trouble is we don't know who was responsible for them. If you can bring in two 4*, a 3* and a couple of nice transfers every year you have enough athleticism to compete at the top of the MW.

I don't know. Gilbert, Kaluma and Zaon was an impressive class. Trouble is we don't know who was responsible for them. If you can bring in two 4*, a 3* and a couple of nice transfers every year you have enough athleticism to compete at the top of the MW.
True but Zaon not coming, Kaluma more than likely not coming, I haven't heard anything about Gilbert. No center recruited and unless Diong uses a covid year we have basically no post play. Right now looking like we will be very lucky to even get 10 wins. Unless we go the MM way and schedule all DIII teams

Our staff is going to be very impressive!
Cal from kentucky, williams from unc, and coach K from Duke are all leaving their respective programs to come be assistants for Kevin. That there is an impressive staff.

I wanted Tim Grgurich, Billy Bayno, and John Welch!
Would love all those guys! It's going to be so important who he has on his bench, I think he needs 2 new assistants. You keep one to help with trying to keep your recruiting class and most of your roster together.

I won’t believe in king Kruger unless he recruits 5 stars to UNLV.

Everyone says this prior to the last 3 UNLV coaching hires. Then UNLV does what UNLV does and screws it up. Why would the assistants be any different?
I didn’t say this at all about Marv or Otz!

“Everyone” does not mean me. Stay pessimistic if you want.I completely understand given where we’ve been. I’m staying very optimistic about CKK!

I absolute HATE the idea of telling anyone what their role is going to be. It removes a lot of that incentive for improvement and hard work in the off-season. I think it's a mistake to guarantee anyone a starter spot or starter's minutes. Tell them that minutes are earned by performance and ability in practice and in games. Nothing is given or taken away, everything is earned. Everything is a blank slate, lets roll the ball out and see he wants those minutes. You tell a guy like Wood that he's not going to get guaranteed minutes, what are his incentives to get into the gym and put on 10 lbs of muscle or to work on developing better handles or a few post moves? Why would Grill work on building a little more explosion and work on his finishing if he doesn't have a chance in hell to start?

We have to face it that we're really in version 3.0 of the rebuild since firing Rice. Maybe it's time we start building a culture of having to work for it, especially since I think KK is going to be allowed to take some lumps early in the first year or two. I feel making preseason promises is putting a poison pill in the make up of this squad. Makes guys feel like they're being recruited over instead of making guys think they're making the team as good as possible so that I too can get better.
He needs at least one experienced coach to help him.
I am sure his dad will help get him a veteran coach.

The experience you need is the AAU pipeline. Then you need HS coaches and AAU coaches who will let you in the gym to scout, so to speak. Then you need some athletes who can jump more than once and shoot with a strong follow through like their head coach. Lastly, you need ball hawks who jump the lanes and make the boring pass it around offenses of today losers like the Zags do to their opponents. Glad I can watch great ball here on the West Coast and expect to see it next year in the T & M.

Reactions: RebelScrub
I wasn’t taking a shot. It was more of a nod to the good ol days of Rebel-net when info flowed from threads before anywhere else.
I’m getting a lot of info now which is really screwing up my working... haha. But UNLV is my passion, so it’s worth it.

I know the quality of your character and your sense of humor. No worries from me. I just don’t contribute much so I’ll just read.

I’m getting a lot of info now which is really screwing up my working... haha. But UNLV is my passion, so it’s worth it.

I know the quality of your character and your sense of humor. No worries from me. I just don’t contribute much so I’ll just read.
Anyone on these boards still has to have deep UNLV passion. We are a dying breed.

As an assistant coach, you just have to know how to carry a luggage full of cash.

I want Nesby on the King Kruger Express. I dont Know if I’m smoking weed but didn’t he drive a Honda with McClean rims back in the day?

Even MORE reason to be optimistic!

“But rebuilds take 5 years...”[roll]

We are going to have a strong staff around our HC, and I’m not just talking about Lon.

Good to hear things are coming along! I was hoping Kevin would bring a guy from Lon’s OU staff too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT