ADVERTISEMENT

Future of CKK

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky
I flip flop on this worse than I'd like to admit. One day I think that he needs to be fired at the next TV timeout while the next week I think he needs a statue erected alongside Tark (ok, not this dramatic but not that dramatic the other way, either).

I'm currently in the 'let's keep him' camp. I've seen him switch some stuff up and break away from some of his usual tendencies. I think we've seen a zone out of him and his offense is moving the ball better. We aren't doing so much 'chucking it from the cheap seats' (minus Jackie Johnson) since we are running our offense through the post.

I do anticipate that we split the next two games and, likely, only win one in the MWC Tournament. I don't see this changing the way that I feel about this.

He could still improve the roster construction but he's utilizing the length and athleticism we have in a better way. I also feel like he's getting more comfortable on the sidelines during games as he's showing more emotion and working the refs better. Overall, I've seen improvement in his 'Junior year' of coaching.

Extend now.
Extend based on winning games (ugly) that you’re supposed to win during the easiest stretch of the season? How about the games we should have won and pulled defeat from the grasps of victory? Too many to mention but the 32 point gaff at home to AF was the end of consideration for me. I believe it will be for Harper as well.

It’s obviously not personal but I do care a lot about this program. We can do much better, just like the change from Arroyo to Odom.

I flip flop on this worse than I'd like to admit. One day I think that he needs to be fired at the next TV timeout while the next week I think he needs a statue erected alongside Tark (ok, not this dramatic but not that dramatic the other way, either).

I'm currently in the 'let's keep him' camp. I've seen him switch some stuff up and break away from some of his usual tendencies. I think we've seen a zone out of him and his offense is moving the ball better. We aren't doing so much 'chucking it from the cheap seats' (minus Jackie Johnson) since we are running our offense through the post.

I do anticipate that we split the next two games and, likely, only win one in the MWC Tournament. I don't see this changing the way that I feel about this.

He could still improve the roster construction but he's utilizing the length and athleticism we have in a better way. I also feel like he's getting more comfortable on the sidelines during games as he's showing more emotion and working the refs better. Overall, I've seen improvement in his 'Junior year' of coaching.
I don’t feel you are flip-flopping at all. Every one was very disappointed after the blow out loss to Air Force at home and questioned KK’s coaching abilities. But now you have more data and since the loss UNLV has gone 9-1 in what the national media calls a very tough MWC and UNLV is now 11-5 and tied for 2nd place. But for getting hosed in the USU game UNLV would be tied for 1st.

He needs to get to a tournament to be kept and not the CBI, must at least be NIT!
So if UNLV wins the next two, finished tied for the MWC regular season title and loses in the first round of the MWC tourney and doesn’t get a NIT invite KK should be fired?

These next 2 weeks will determine his future. I have been back and forth on keeping him or not. As stated above it seems like with him it will be a restart year every year. Mediocre a standard. But replace him just to replace him? If Harper has a commitment from a top notch coach great but if not why make a change for similar results?

Do you guys realize that the last time UNLV was in the running for the MWC regular season title this late in the season was when Bill Bayno was the head coach during the 1999-2000 season or 24 years ago! That’s a quarter of a century! Also, in another thread it was mentioned that KK wasn’t DRF’s first choice. The target coach turned her down! No body wants this job! Bird left without coaching a game. TJ never fully unpacked.

Do you guys realize that the last time UNLV was in the running for the MWC regular season title this late in the season was when Bill Bayno was the head coach during the 1999-2000 season or 24 years ago! That’s a quarter of a century! Also, in another thread it was mentioned that KK wasn’t DRF’s first choice. The target coach turned her down! No body wants this job! Bird left without coaching a game. TJ never fully unpacked.
Why did a qualified coach like Odom want the football job? We have all the resources for sustained success. Look at Houston with an established coach….#1 in the country.

Plenty will want the job if the pay and buy in from administration is there. And I’m not too worried about those working out.

I’m torn… I think he should have never got the job in the 1st place and was ready for his departure at the end of the year. What makes me an even more mad is why this team wasn’t ready to go at the beginning of the year because we’d be a lock right now for the tourney if they were.

I want to see these next two games tbh and how he fares in the MW tourney. He goes 2-0 this week id say he’s safe… add 1 or 2 wins in the MW tourney I think it’ll solidify it enough. If he were to go 0-3 I think he will get the boot and rightfully so.

Unless Harper has a plan already and candidates in his sights with funding then I think I’d rather ride out his contract and be at these crossroads next year. I don’t want to be in a position where we fire KK and then flounder looking for someone and end up with another trash can hire

Um... TJO finished 2nd in his first year(yes, SDSU ran away with conference), Rice finished 3rd 3 times- 1 game back, Lon fined 2nd twice and 3rd once... all within a game or 2 of first place. I see it all over twitter now praising going 9-1 over last 10 games which "no other coach has done in MWC play at UNLV" as a precursor to not moving on should we fail to miss postseason again. It means nothing if we can't get the job done when it counts because that's what matters now. No one is going to remember finishing 3rd orT-2nd if we don't make the NCAA tournament. We don't hang banners for "beat a bunch of NCAA tournament teams in conference play" around here.
And "Nobody wants this job" is a facetious argument we use to comfort ourselves with poor hires by lazy ADs... there's nothing wrong about the UNLV position other than bad hires and a decade of allowing that to dominate the conversation. Plenty of other mid-major jobs have fans with pitchforks, we're not unique other than we have been at the top of the Country once before and frankly I'd rather want to be a blue blood again than wallow in mediocrity and apathy

Why did a qualified coach like Odom want the football job? We have all the resources for sustained success. Look at Houston with an established coach….#1 in the country.

Plenty will want the job if the pay and buy in from administration is there. And I’m not too worried about those working out.
Different expectations. Also, what resources are you referring to? UNLV will not pay its basketball coach a competitive salary to attract the caliber of coach to meets the expectations of some. Underwood took the Okie State job for a measly $1 mill. Why did Bird leave? He didn’t even let the ink dry on his contract. What about TJ? Heck, there is no doubt LK wanted to stay and was very much invested in the City and program. LK personally raised the money to build the Mendenhall. LK rejected the Sooners offers TWO times until their last offer doubled his salary. What did UNLV offer its coach of a program that was a pre-season top 25 and top 25 in attendance? Nothing. If there were resources KK wouldn’t be the current coach.

Um... TJO finished 2nd in his first year(yes, SDSU ran away with conference), Rice finished 3rd 3 times- 1 game back, Lon fined 2nd twice and 3rd once... all within a game or 2 of first place. I see it all over twitter now praising going 9-1 over last 10 games which "no other coach has done in MWC play at UNLV" as a precursor to not moving on should we fail to miss postseason again. It means nothing if we can't get the job done when it counts because that's what matters now. No one is going to remember finishing 3rd orT-2nd if we don't make the NCAA tournament. We don't hang banners for "beat a bunch of NCAA tournament teams in conference play" around here.
And "Nobody wants this job" is a facetious argument we use to comfort ourselves with poor hires by lazy ADs... there's nothing wrong about the UNLV position other than bad hires and a decade of allowing that to dominate the conversation. Plenty of other mid-major jobs have fans with pitchforks, we're not unique other than we have been at the top of the Country once before and frankly I'd rather want to be a blue blood again than wallow in mediocrity and apathy
Do you actually feel UNLV is look upon as a coveted job in the coaching community right now?

Different expectations. Also, what resources are you referring to? UNLV will not pay its basketball coach a competitive salary to attract the caliber of coach to meets the expectations of some. Underwood took the Okie State job for a measly $1 mill. Why did Bird leave? He didn’t even let the ink dry on his contract. What about TJ? Heck, there is no doubt LK wanted to stay and was very much invested in the City and program. LK personally raised the money to build the Mendenhall. LK rejected the Sooners offers TWO times until their last offer doubled his salary. What did UNLV offer its coach of a program that was a pre-season top 25 and top 25 in attendance? Nothing. If there were resources KK wouldn’t be the current coach.
There's so much more than $$ involved with each of those decisions... Beard was here, signed and ready to go and the BOR ran him through a clown show then he got his "dream job" offered to him at his "home school" that had nothing to do with us not paying for a coach...
TJO- he got a decent pay raise here, and ISU was his home again, not about money no matter how much we had to offer.
Lon- boy, remember how we wanted to run him out of town after they got blasted in the NCAA tournament vs Illinois...while in the end it looks like only a "money move" OU not only offered him more than double what we could, but also additional resources we didn't have, putting a huge emphasis on basketball they hadnt done before along with a 7 year contract, recruiting, and an easier path for at large bids into NCAA in the Big 12...

And yes, despite our message boards "no one likes us" job out look, UNLV is as good of spot as any MWC job, with a AD/school president dedicated to creating winning programs in an attractive market... look at the players we've been able to attract despite bad coaches... there are plenty of mid-major successful coaches that would be willing to discuss and entertain our job offer. Instead we get all these fans and myself included at times that throw out "Mark Few, Randy Bennett, Calipari" and when we hire the "Beards of CBB" say it's because no one would take our call... we hired KK out of convenience because our AD got embarrassed by having her hire jet off basically mid-season

Reactions: brentjg
I implore all to look at Steve fishers record his first 6 seasons at SDSU.

Looks to me we have a nice corp group returning next season barring transfers with Thomas, Whaley and Hicks. Add in the number one ranked recruiting class next season plus a possible injury season in Jalen Hill and we could have a fun exciting group compiled. Nothing to suggest a total rebuild so KK deserves the chance to lead this team.

Looks to me we have a nice corp group returning next season barring transfers with Thomas, Whaley and Hicks. Add in the number one ranked recruiting class next season plus a possible injury season in Jalen Hill and we could have a fun exciting group compiled. Nothing to suggest a total rebuild so KK deserves the chance to lead this team.
Hill has already committed to returning.

Reactions: PeccoleRanchRunner
Steve fisher also has a resume with a Final 4 attached to it when he got to SDSU. Not even remotely close
So change the story a little bit. Kruger comes in and has a final four under his belt and gives you 6 mediocre seasons. You don’t think everyone would be calling for his head?

So change the story a little bit. Kruger comes in and has a final four under his belt and gives you 6 mediocre seasons. You don’t think everyone would be calling for his head?
SDSU hadn't had a winning basketball program since 1985 at the point of hiring him and prior to that had only been to the NCAA 2 other times in their history as a program. They had 0 expectations and he won the MWCT in his 3rd year...

Here’s the probable scenario for the end of the season. UNLV finishes 1-1 with a win at home over SDSU, loss at Reno on the road and one win in the MWC tourney. That brings UNLV to 20-12 for the year, tied for 2nd in the MWC, no worse than 3rd and 7-2 against top 25 teams. In addition, KK has the top freshman PG in the nation on his roster with a solid nucleus of returning players, the top recruiting class in the conference with the No. 2 rated juco committed in 6’11” center Bear Cherry and a 4 star high school 7 foot center committed in Pape.

Without even factoring in post season invites, there is no way KK is dismissed unless the AD has the commitment of both $2.5 mill in salary and Gregg Marshall caliber coach lined up and committed to take the job. If not, UNLV basketball will be dumpster fire part 2 and another series of hiring unproven assistant coaches on the cheap, a hope and a prayer.

They will only want the job if we have a good NIL program.

Reactions: TimothyC3
I don’t feel you are flip-flopping at all. Every one was very disappointed after the blow out loss to Air Force at home and questioned KK’s coaching abilities. But now you have more data and since the loss UNLV has gone 9-1 in what the national media calls a very tough MWC and UNLV is now 11-5 and tied for 2nd place. But for getting hosed in the USU game UNLV would be tied for 1st.
Tied for third. Utah State and BSU are tied for first. UNLV is tied with unr and SDSU.
Do you actually feel UNLV is look upon as a coveted job in the coaching community right now?
I do believe it is becoming a coveted job because everyone can see what the current AD and President did in regards to the football program, as well as the fund raising for an indoor training facility and many other athletic department projects. I fully expect the President and AD to push to improve the basketball program in the same way and speed as they have done for the football program. UNLV is very quickly becoming the top of the MWC food chain. As for coach Kruger, his future is still in his hands, and the point guard he has will give him the ability to improve the program, but that all depends on what happens the next few weeks!

Here’s the probable scenario for the end of the season. UNLV finishes 1-1 with a win at home over SDSU, loss at Reno on the road and one win in the MWC tourney. That brings UNLV to 20-12 for the year, tied for 2nd in the MWC, no worse than 3rd and 7-2 against top 25 teams. In addition, KK has the top freshman PG in the nation on his roster with a solid nucleus of returning players, the top recruiting class in the conference with the No. 2 rated juco committed in 6’11” center Bear Cherry and a 4 star high school 7 foot center committed in Pape.

Without even factoring in post season invites, there is no way KK is dismissed unless the AD has the commitment of both $2.5 mill in salary and Gregg Marshall caliber coach lined up and committed to take the job. If not, UNLV basketball will be dumpster fire part 2 and another series of hiring unproven assistant coaches on the cheap, a hope and a prayer.
"....Gregg Marshall caliber coach lined up and committed to take the job."

But, Harper could have a lock solid commitment from a NAME coach and that coach could back out when it comes time to sign the contract.

Reactions: dcut03
SDSU hadn't had a winning basketball program since 1985 at the point of hiring him and prior to that had only been to the NCAA 2 other times in their history as a program. They had 0 expectations and he won the MWCT in his 3rd year...
I’m in the try a different approach boat. We’ve been doin the expectations thing for 30 years and it’s got us nowhere. I totally understand the other side of the argument, but I’m just tired of the turnover every three years.

Scott drew is another interesting example to look at.

Reactions: unlove

This is your opinion, not a fact, a few of us here don’t see it that way. It’s a good discussion, should we or shouldn’t we move on and many are on both sides. I have said that Kevin needs to make the tournament this year, preferably NCAA but NIT would be okay in order to get another year here, not an extension. Too many are looking at a win streak over mediocre teams as a “lightning rod” of success and that we are turning a corner as a program? Why did this team lose to Southern and AFA mid season? There are still plenty of questions surrounding Kevin and no win streak is going to change that. If we are in fact improving then we shall see this week and next! But finishing second in conference and having the usual showing in the MWCT should not be enough. I have said this many times but nobody here knew of Barry Odom and held him in high regard until he got here!

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
I will not take credit for this. But one of the posters summed it up perfectly. “UNLV has always had an interest in winning in Basketball, but has never been committed“ IMO commitment means resources ie. $$$$$!

This is your opinion, not a fact, a few of us here don’t see it that way. It’s a good discussion, should we or shouldn’t we move on and many are on both sides. I have said that Kevin needs to make the tournament this year, preferably NCAA but NIT would be okay in order to get another year here, not an extension. Too many are looking at a win streak over mediocre teams as a “lightning rod” of success and that we are turning a corner as a program? Why did this team lose to Southern and AFA mid season? There are still plenty of questions surrounding Kevin and no win streak is going to change that. If we are in fact improving then we shall see this week and next! But finishing second in conference and having the usual showing in the MWCT should not be enough. I have said this many times but nobody here knew of Barry Odom and held him in high regard until he got here!
How much is Odom’s salary? Was he hired on the cheap? Do you think Odom would have taken the UNLV job if they were still playing Sam Boyd and without the Ferrita Football complex? I don’‘t. Also, it didn’t hurt when he was hired:

“UNLV has made its football coach, Barry Odom, the highest-paid head man in the Mountain West.

“Odom, who agreed Tuesday to be the Rebels' head coach, was given a five-year, $9.75 million contract that will pay him $1.75 million each in 2023 and 2024; $2 million each in 2025 and 2026; and $2.25 million in 2027.”

That’s the FACTS!

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Like i said in another post. I think you have to keep Kevin. Football is the priority right now. We have to keep the coaching staff and bring in more help. That will take up a huge chunk of money. Football success brings revenue , possible new conference offers which is critical now. Then add in NIL payouts for the three top basketball players. There is no money for a new head coach.
Just make opinion. Go Rebels!

I like to see him here next year..no extension now. see where it goes.. he's learning on the job too...growing pains. If loses transfers and regresses more toss on final year of contract.

"....Gregg Marshall caliber coach lined up and committed to take the job."

But, Harper could have a lock solid commitment from a NAME coach and that coach could back out when it comes time to sign the contract.
That’s exactly what happened when LK was hired. Dr. Brad Rothermel was brought on as the special assistant to the AD to help in hiring the new head coach and LK committed in December or January during the season to replace Spoon. It was a done deal. I guess you have to know and trust the coach. But I get your point and there is always that possibility. There was some of that with Cronin from what I recall. Could be wrong.

That’s exactly what happened when LK was hired. Dr. Brad Rothermel was brought on as the special assistant to the AD to help in hiring the new head coach and LK committed in December or January during the season to replace Spoon. It was a done deal. I guess you have to know and trust the coach. But I get your point and there is always that possibility. There was some of that with Cronin from what I recall. Could be wrong.
Unless there is a signed contract or you were in the room when the verbal commitment was made you never know who to believe.

How much is Odom’s salary? Was he hired on the cheap? Do you think Odom would have taken the UNLV job if they were still playing Sam Boyd and without the Ferrita Football complex? I don’‘t. Also, it didn’t hurt when he was hired:

“UNLV has made its football coach, Barry Odom, the highest-paid head man in the Mountain West.

“Odom, who agreed Tuesday to be the Rebels' head coach, was given a five-year, $9.75 million contract that will pay him $1.75 million each in 2023 and 2024; $2 million each in 2025 and 2026; and $2.25 million in 2027.”

That’s the FACTS!
Your talking about salary I’m talking about Odom not being on anyone’s radar or wishlist here on this site. The point is as long as the next coach is picked by Harper, I’m okay with that. So in reference to you needing some big name coach already in tow in order to make a change, hiring of Odom disproves your your thought so take that fact!

If CKK gets this team to the Dance this year not only will he not be fired but he will get extended.

Reactions: dcut03
Check to see if Marshall purchased a home in Vegas. That’s how we knew LK was a “done deal” for UNLV long before it was announced and that’s when some fans rallied on behalf of GK.

Reactions: TimothyC3

April decisions become so much more clear to make in the month of A P R I L -

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT