ADVERTISEMENT

NET

If UNM wins and Boise loses, UNLV would be Co-Champs with USU. If I was a committee member trying to decide who gets bumped, You start checking boxes
1. NET- UNM
2. OOC- UNM
3. Q1s- UNLV
4. Conference Season- UNLV
5. Head to Head- UNLV
You'd be hard pressed as a committee to take a team that got beat twice by the other who also shared a conference title and made it to the conference tournament just because their Net is higher....
I would challenge the OOC argument. Though it is close.

UNM scheduled 1 quad 1 game, a loss on the road to St. Mary's
1 quad 2 game, win to Irvine. home game.
6 quad 4 games in OOC.

UNLV had 2 quad 1 games 1-1, Took St. Mary's OT and lost by a bucket, but a neutral court. 2 quad 2's 0-2.
UNLV had 4 Quad 4 OOC games (Pepperdine was downgraded) but did have 2 lower division games

Road records also show a big difference.

UNLV road record 7-3. 2 quad 1 2-2, quad 2 0-0 quad 3 2-0, quad 4 3-0
UNM road record 5-6 quad 1 1-4, quad 2 0-1, quad 3 1-0 quad 4 3-0

each team finishes with a quad 1 road game.

Yeah true. But honestly right now, a game against UNM or CSU is no different to me than a game against BSU or USU. Everyone is very close. I'd just prefer to avoid SDSU, especially after just beating them. Which means we will probably get SDSU Thursday lol.
I am thinking teams along the line of SJSU, Air Force, Fresno State, and Wyoming as the first game.

If we beat UNR we're second and the most likely scenario will be we face the winner between UNM and AFA in the first game. If we lose to UNR and SDSU Beats Boise, we will finish 4th and play Boise who will finish fifth in the first game if I'm doing the tiebreakers right.

Last edited:
2 seed is ideal as we’d likely avoid the bracket with SDSU & USU assuming SDSU would likely be in third place.
If we just miss the Trny it will be a tough lesson for CKK — in that case our fate was cast after the first game of the season.

I was checking the Quad 1 records for other schools and UNLV’s Quad 1 win/loss record at 5-3 is such an anomaly based upon the current NET ranking. The next school with a better winning percentage in Quad 1 at 6-3 is NET 44 ranking Washington State. Then after that comes NET ranked no. 4 Arizona at 8-3 in Quad 1. A win at Reno is a must. But if UNLV defeats Reno the Quad 1 record is 6-3 which will be a top 5 Quad 1 winning record. Also, a guaranteed 1st or 2nd place finish in the MWC. Currently, UNLV has moved up to 75 without playing based on losses of other teams since SDSU. A Quad 1 win at Reno could actually move UNLV into the high 60’s. Because of reasons already pointed out and the potential for a top 5 Quad 1 record I can see a path to an at-large bid without winning the conference tournament championship. But a win at Reno is a must.

Last edited:
I was checking the Quad 1 records for other schools and UNLV’s Quad 1 win/loss record at 5-3 is such an anomaly based upon the current NET ranking.. Currently, the next school with a better winning percentage in Quad 1 at 6-3 is NET 44 ranking Washington State. Then after that comes NET ranked no. 4 Arizona at 8-3 in Quad 1. A win at Reno is a must. But if UNLV defeats Reno the Quad 1 record is 6-3 which will be a top 5 Quad 1 winning record. Also, a guaranteed 1st or 2nd place finish in the MWC. Currently, UNLV has moved up to 75 without playing based on losses of other teams since SDSU. A Quad 1 win at Reno could actually move UNLV into the high 60’s. Because of reasons already pointed out and the potential for a top 5 Quad 1 record I can see a path to at at-large bid without winning the conference tournament championship. But a win at Reno is a must.
I think a 2nd place MWC finish along with a MWCT Finals appearance probably gets UNLV in.

I was checking the Quad 1 records for other schools and UNLV’s Quad 1 win/loss record at 5-3 is such an anomaly based upon the current NET ranking. The next school with a better winning percentage in Quad 1 at 6-3 is NET 44 ranking Washington State. Then after that comes NET ranked no. 4 Arizona at 8-3 in Quad 1. A win at Reno is a must. But if UNLV defeats Reno the Quad 1 record is 6-3 which will be a top 5 Quad 1 winning record. Also, a guaranteed 1st or 2nd place finish in the MWC. Currently, UNLV has moved up to 75 without playing based on losses of other teams since SDSU. A Quad 1 win at Reno could actually move UNLV into the high 60’s. Because of reasons already pointed out and the potential for a top 5 Quad 1 record I can see a path to an at-large bid without winning the conference tournament championship. But a win at Reno is a must.
With how the top 7 are in the MW NET wise, the potential to win 3 more quality games is there. Beat Reno, then beat say CSU, SDSU, and then lose to a USU or BSU? We'd be firmly on the bubble in that scenario. That's 3 more wins against at large worthy teams and a loss against an at large worthy team. With that said, just win and problem solved. Lol

I agree. That scenario will probably result in two more Quad 1 wins and put UNLV in the high 50’s in NET rankings.
The entire NCAA NET appears to be just another way for them to put in big name schools that really do not deserve being ranked so high. Examples: Auburn is rated #6 and is 1-7 verse Quad 1 schools and 23-7 overall; Alabama is rated #7 and is 4-9 verse Quad 1 schools and 20-10 overall. It appear to me that this system isn't really fairly set up, and makes sure that programs that are in the top tier schools get an automatic bump in the rating since they will always start out higher up than group of 5 schools in most cases. With the MWC overall being ranked fairly high this year, this is a huge exception to what I have seen in the past. And I have noticed that a lot of people expect the NCAA to pick only 4 or less schools instead of 6 which would just be more evidence show the NCAA will make sure they always get the big name schools into the tournament no matter what.

The entire NCAA NET appears to be just another way for them to put in big name schools that really do not deserve being ranked so high. Examples: Auburn is rated #6 and is 1-7 verse Quad 1 schools and 23-7 overall; Alabama is rated #7 and is 4-9 verse Quad 1 schools and 20-10 overall. It appear to me that this system isn't really fairly set up, and makes sure that programs that are in the top tier schools get an automatic bump in the rating since they will always start out higher up than group of 5 schools in most cases. With the MWC overall being ranked fairly high this year, this is a huge exception to what I have seen in the past. And I have noticed that a lot of people expect the NCAA to pick only 4 or less schools instead of 6 which would just be more evidence show the NCAA will make sure they always get the big name schools into the tournament no matter what.
Then, when one of those undeserving teams wins games (Syracuse did this one year), the selection committee will justify why they do it this way.

Then, when one of those undeserving teams wins games (Syracuse did this one year), the selection committee will justify why they do it this way.
They have always done things in that way like when they had UNLV go to SAP Center in 2013 to play against the University of California in their own back yard even while we had beat them during the regular season. How is it in any realm reasonable that a higher seeded team plays at an arena in San Jose that is only about 40 miles away instead of at a neutral arena?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
"Auburn is rated #6 and is 1-7 verse Quad 1"

True - but they are 22-0 Quad 2,3,4. It's not just Quad 1. We're 12-7.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
For me, the ideal scenario.. Is the Rebs win tonight & lock in that 2 seed.. Play 7 seed Colorado st & then 3 seed Boise st in the semis.. Think we match up with them the best, most favorable outcomes IMO..

We avoid SDSU & NM.. I know we swept NM, but very hard to beat a team 3 times in the same season.. Something with the psyche, feel like the Rebs would have a let down if they meet the Lobos..

"Auburn is rated #6 and is 1-7 verse Quad 1"

True - but they are 22-0 Quad 2,3,4. It's not just Quad 1. We're 12-7.
I wasn't comparing them to UNLV, I was looking at their ranking on a national level. You really believe they are even close to one of the top 6 teams in the nation? Fifth in their own conference and sixth overall?

I wasn't comparing them to UNLV, I was looking at their ranking on a national level. You really believe they are even close to one of the top 6 teams in the nation? Fifth in their own conference and sixth overall?
I don't know what to believe about their ability because I haven't seen them. But I don't believe the NET is fixed in favor of the power conferences - beyond the fact that they play more Q 1 games just by the nature of their conference.

For me, the ideal scenario.. Is the Rebs win tonight & lock in that 2 seed.. Play 7 seed Colorado st & then 3 seed Boise st in the semis.. Think we match up with them the best, most favorable outcomes IMO..

We avoid SDSU & NM.. I know we swept NM, but very hard to beat a team 3 times in the same season.. Something with the psyche, feel like the Rebs would have a let down if they meet the Lobos..
That and the Lobos may be as desperate for a win as we are...

Game time matters little. Whoever we play will definitely have more fans than us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT