ADVERTISEMENT

Quad 1 - Quad 4 example

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I'm sure everyone on this board understands how important NET rankings are. They'll be used as the primary method to choose both the NCAA and NIT tourney participants. Everyone also knows games are rated Quat 4 to Quad 1 depending on a number of factors. ( these factors make up a formula that is a close held secret) These factors determine how difficult the game is and if a team should win a game or not.

BUT, I think some fans underestimate how devastating a Quad 4 loss is - much less three of them. As an example I'll compare Grand Canyon with UNLV.

Grand Canyon, WAC, is currently 43 in NET (@ 47 is usually the cutoff for NCAA at large selection). They are 1-1 in Quad 1 wins and 11-0 in quad 4. We are currently 87 in NET ( out of range for ANY post season play) We are 4-4 quad 1 but 3-3 in quad 4. (Grand Canyon - 43rd - UNLV 87th) Had we won those 3 Quad 4 losses we'd be @ 40th NET. Those 3 games cost us OVER 40 SPOTS in NET. Our season was pretty much determined in the first week of December.

To me the lesson learned here is when developing a schedule you want the worst D1 OOC teams possible. You don't want the best teams in the Southland conference - you want the worst team. Beating a GOOD quad 4 team gets you no more than beating one of the dregs. But every loss costs you 13 spots in NET you will never get back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT