ADVERTISEMENT

my thoughts on the game...v WSU

the Florian Trout

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 27, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
damn those refs! i have never seen refs so blatantly swayed by a crowd. a few of them were obviously getting visions of being Bono at a concert. "last touched by YOU Rebel, itz SHOCKA BALL!!!"

throughout the whole game, WSU were called for one pelvic thrust. just one, on a Zimm drive. driving your crotch in a thrusting motion to any opposing player is fine if your hands are in the air, pump away! it was non stop all game.

bottom line is we got man handled and i have a bad feeling every team will follow that same recipe. especially where you just swing across the dribblers forearms and you'll have a steal, guaranteed.

Questions: is it okay to shove people constantly with your non-dribbling arm? if you are dribbling near an opponent and snap your neck back is it a flagrant or just a foul?

McCaw - got very very understandably frustrated by lots of pushing and rakes across the arm which were only called when he did it to WSU. forced too much. probably the worst i have seen him play, but i give him a lot of credit by not getting a tech.

Ike - feast or famine and he starved us last night. atrocious. he's the only one that couldn't get bullied and instead he launched from deep, with crooked feet most of the time.

Jerome - too many bad plays. forced 3 when Green was WIDE open. probably have to blame the coaching on having him continuously go to the pick and roll that never worked. they defended it the way we should have.

Zimm - good as possible when all you're asked to do is set picks 30 feet from the basket.

Cornish - is it too late for a redshirt? he's reminding me of a freshman Morgan. had a nice dish to Zimm, but Zimm bailed him out by cutting, he was in no man's land. they tell shooters to keep shooting, but this is crazy.

Poyser
- seemed to be the only one who wasn't effected by the atmosphere. played well. not just that he hit his shots.

Carter - good effort as usual. solid as could be, but even he forced some stuff.

Jones - i thought he played decent. didn't like seeing the 3s with people in his face.

Morgan
- he needed to play angrier especially on the hack Wessel. still going too fast. every time he touches the ball i get antsy.

Green - no comment because he was in for like 3 seconds before Jerome forced one off the backboard when he was wide open. shame.

Coaching - adjusted to the Vleet show in the 2nd half, but i don't know why it didn't get fixed in the first half. we never did anything decent on offense, probably due to the allowed physical play. i don't know why the press wasn't utilized more.

okay some of that was a little harsh, but i'm sure we can all agree that had to be one of the most frustrating games to watch. felt a little like a LK vs SDSU game.

still love the team, loved how they never gave up, which would've been easy. kind of wish one of the players would've got a tech since Rice refuses to challenge the refs. i would love to see that team in March. might not be a good idea, but in my mind, we are a much better team.

p.s. - i wish we had Dantley still so he and the scrub from the other team could go one on one.

Reactions: fr33py
If by scrub you mean Frankamp, Dantley couldn't hold a candle to him... theres a reason he started and was on scholarship at KU...

Reactions: ijspencer
I stopped reading at damn those refs. Everybody always has to resort to blaming the refs. Not the slow start not the multiple air balls or missed shots or free throws or the 20 some turnovers or all the offensive rebounds givin up its those REFS REFS REFS..gets old

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If by scrub you mean Frankamp, Dantley couldn't hold a candle to him... theres a reason he started and was on scholarship at KU...

You are usually on the ball with the stuff, but I thought the announcers said he only got into a game 10 times ever at Kansas.

Nope, played in 27 games his freshman season, averaged 11 ppg in NCAA tourney that season, was poised to become starter right before he transferred which kind of shocked KU...

19 turnovers to 9 by them , gave up 14 offensive boards. Sure there was bad calls but the boards and turnovers cost us the game not the refs. Had a chance to win at the end but we deserved to loose with how bad we played in my opinion.

Despite all that, only 2 down with a couple minutes left. That was when the refs really took over.

The only way anyway will win there, if that's how games are going to be called, is with a 15 point lead at the 2 minute mark.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
The thing that stood out the most was complete ineptness at getting the ball in the lanes. It was just swinging the ball out on the perimeter, and then UNLV would head down to the other end and Van Vleet would seemingly easily get to the basket whenever the wanted at 6ft tall.

When our guys drove, they either got the ball stripped (Zimm) by dribbling too much or keeping the ball low, or getting called for charges.

The thing that stood out the most was complete ineptness at getting the ball in the lanes. It was just swinging the ball out on the perimeter, and then UNLV would head down to the other end and Van Vleet would seemingly easily get to the basket whenever the wanted at 6ft tall.

When our guys drove, they either got the ball stripped (Zimm) by dribbling too much or keeping the ball low, or getting called for charges.

Van Fleet is a special player.He does that to everybody not just us.

Coaching - adjusted to the Vleet show in the 2nd half, but i don't know why it didn't get fixed in the first half. we never did anything decent on offense, probably due to the allowed physical play. i don't know why the press wasn't utilized more.

You have to make shots (From the field and the free throw line) to set up the press.

The Rebels were woeful shooting the ball in the first half. That is why you didn't see the press.

You have to make shots (From the field and the free throw line) to set up the press.

The Rebels were woeful shooting the ball in the first half. That is why you didn't see the press.
you're right, you need the ball to go in, but even after those glorious 7 or 8 baskets, no press was thought about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT