ADVERTISEMENT

Time to fire Whitfield

It’s an uncomfortable topic for many. I wouldn’t say this “isn’t the place”. Header is pretty clear, you know what you’re getting into when you open it.

I’m not going to be in lockstep with US gov and censor what I don’t like and allow things I agree with to flow through. I know some people don’t agree with free speech and think people should be censored for differing opinions, I’m damn sure I’ll die wholeheartedly believing in freedom of speech. We’ve seen the carnage in this country when censorship becomes a central tenet.

I know, I’m an ahole for allowing people to speak their minds but I really don’t gaf.

And, quite frankly, it absolutely has the potential to impact the finances of athletics.

It’s an uncomfortable topic for many. I wouldn’t say this “isn’t the place”. Header is pretty clear, you know what you’re getting into when you open it.

I’m not going to be in lockstep with US gov and censor what I don’t like and allow things I agree with to flow through. I know some people don’t agree with free speech and think people should be censored for differing opinions, I’m damn sure I’ll die wholeheartedly believing in freedom of speech. We’ve seen the carnage in this country when censorship becomes a central tenet.

I know, I’m an ahole for allowing people to speak their minds but I really don’t gaf.

And, quite frankly, it absolutely has the potential to impact the finances of athletics.
If one believes that people have a right to publicly protest something at the location of a public institution, then one needs to believe that others have the right (without the threat of violence, legal action, protesters restricting their movement, or eviction by security personnel) to peacefully videotape those protests.

Not to belabor the point, we’re not talking about the right to protest. We’re talking about the duty of the administration to ensure the safety of all students. Whitfield won’t commit to that.

It sounds like safety (and fairness) is exactly what Whitfield is talking about in this letter.

The idea that Whitfield shouldn't even take a meeting with the leaders of this group(as the tweet suggests) would be wrong. This is about the right to protest essentially.

This is a charged topic and any protests need to be peaceful. If that can't happen then it needs to be shutdown.

Also the idea of not wanting to be filmed during a public protest is also absurd. If you don't want to be seen publically protesting, don't protest publically.

I am big on freedom of speech myself, and shutting down anyone's right to do so, at a public university no less, is a slippery slope.

If one believes that people have a right to publicly protest something at the location of a public institution, then one needs to believe that others have the right (without the threat of violence, legal action, protesters restricting their movement, or eviction by security personnel) to peacefully videotape those protests.
Well you are talking about people who were demanding food be brought to their protests and that any conduct violations be ignored without repercussion so demanding that they not be filmed or be put on social media is not a surprise. Whitfield should have informed them that you want to protest here are you risks.

UNLV just lost a major donor… not sure if it’s related or not..
Considering it’s the Ralph Engelstad family, who got in trouble for having Hitler birthday parties I’m going to go out on a limb and say it had no impact.

• Wow
Reactions: reagan21

It's quite telling that a large number of the 'Pro Palestine' protestors wear masks and become highly agitated when filmed.

I am all for asking for a peaceful solution in that region.

What I'm not down with is when you start vomiting phrases like 'genocide' out of one side of your mouth while chanting 'from the river to the sea' a literal call for genocide in the eyes of many out of the other side of your mouth.

It's quite telling that a large number of the 'Pro Palestine' protestors wear masks and become highly agitated when filmed.

What I'm not down with is when you start vomiting phrases like 'genocide' out of one side of your mouth while chanting 'from the river to the sea' a literal call for genocide in the eyes of many out of the other side of your mouth.
They are too stupid to even know what that saying means. Kind of like globalize the intifada another saying of which they are completely clueless as to its meaning. But I guess that is why they wear masks to hide their ignorance.

They are too stupid to even know what that saying means. Kind of like globalize the intifada another saying of which they are completely clueless as to its meaning. But I guess that is why they wear masks to hide their ignorance.
A generality, students think less than ever. They regurgitate. They don’t know how to figure things out, technology is a necessary crutch. Critical thinking, logic - it’s at an all time low.

Growing up, most of my teachers weren’t good with teaching you how to think, they only taught you what to think but I recognized that as complete bullshit early on. My best teachers - back and forth discussion … non-judgmental, you learn to whack your way through the weeds and how to actually think. And trust in yourself. But there weren’t many teachers like that and in some subjects critical thinking isn’t required, it’s more about straight learning, like the basics, english and math (when younger). When English became lit and poetry … more thinking. History (that’s one where teachers constantly screwed up by shouting shit at you to memorize and their version was law … though my HS freshman history teacher at Gorman was one of the best when it came to critical thinking, he shoved nothing down our throats, we discussed and decided much of it, he didn’t sanitize it and give us “the book says” versions of everything, etc.

A lot of these kids and groups - they have no idea what they’re standing for. Most of them are just outcasts that can finally be included in society since they missed out on real socialization when they were young.

It’s gross. My generation fd up as a whole in passing down important things.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

A generality, students think less than ever. They regurgitate. They don’t know how to figure things out, technology is a necessary crutch. Critical thinking, logic - it’s at an all time low.

Growing up, most of my teachers weren’t good with teaching you how to think, they only taught you what to think but I recognized that as complete bullshit early on. My best teachers - back and forth discussion … non-judgmental, you learn to whack your way through the weeds and how to actually think. And trust in yourself. But there weren’t many teachers like that and in some subjects critical thinking isn’t required, it’s more about straight learning, like the basics, english and math (when younger). When English became lit and poetry … more thinking. History (that’s one where teachers constantly screwed up by shouting shit at you to memorize and their version was law … though my HS freshman history teacher at Gorman was one of the best when it came to critical thinking, he shoved nothing down our throats, we discussed and decided much of it, he didn’t sanitize it and give us “the book says” versions of everything, etc.

A lot of these kids and groups - they have no idea what they’re standing for. Most of them are just outcasts that can finally be included in society since they missed out on real socialization when they were young.

This is actually a great opportunity to create a civil debate with both sides stating their cases, with hopefully an impartial moderator that is highly informed in this subject. Then maybe some of the truth of this, being some pretty ugly things have happened from both sides would be seen. Then maybe a good chunk of these kids would actually become informed and STFU.

I know, I know this is crazy. Especially at a higher learning institution. Civil discourse is forbidden these days.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
This is actually a great opportunity to create a civil debate with both sides stating their cases, with hopefully an impartial moderator that is highly informed in this subject. Then maybe some of the truth of this, being some pretty ugly things have happened from both sides would be seen. Then maybe a good chunk of these kids would actually become informed and STFU.

I know, I know this is crazy. Especially at a higher learning institution. Civil discourse is forbidden these days.
Civil discourse doesn’t happen anymore, unfortunately. It’s black and white only and nobody actually pauses and listens, just shouts as loud as they can. The harsh intolerance boggles my mind.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
Whitfield should throw a charity basketball game at the T & M to raise awareness.

10 Palestinian supporters vs 10 Jewish supporters.

To show solidarity that the world doesn’t give a 2 shits about the Middle East.

Reactions: butta1231

Yes they do, far far too many form their opinions based upon what they hear on TikTok etc. I have to correct my son much more than I would like that because he saw it on social media doesn't make it true. Someone in a friend group finds something shares it with the group and they all magically believe it. No critical thinking. It's crazy.

Yes they do, far far too many form their opinions based upon what they hear on TikTok etc. I have to correct my son much more than I would like that because he saw it on social media doesn't make it true. Someone in a friend group finds something shares it with the group and they all magically believe it. No critical thinking. It's crazy.
I think that’s the REALLY bad side of tech. There’s a lot of good with it, but weighing everything, I think it’s a net negative because of what it has done to so many kids.

Socialization, getting in trouble, just face to face peer in a group setting - I really feel like it’s an important part of developing into the person you’ll become as an adult. I think it’s pretty damn critical. So many try to show a toughness, a righteousness, etc, online but in real life, face to face, shrinking violet. Not much to say, go into a shell … just not as comfortable in real life. And that’s where I think socialization is good, it teaches you, sometimes you need to be put in your place … online burns aren’t a substitute.

And with things being as they are, typically a mom and dad both having to work or single parenthood … tougher to manage the kids and tech can just fry them.

It tickles me when I see kids doing things the “old school” way, imo, it’s just a more balanced way that gives them a better chance moving forward.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think that’s the REALLY bad side of tech. There’s a lot of good with it, but weighing everything, I think it’s a net negative because of what it has done to so many kids.

Socialization, getting in trouble, just face to face peer in a group setting - I really feel like it’s an important part of developing into the person you’ll become as an adult. I think it’s pretty damn critical. So many try to show a toughness, a righteousness, etc, online but in real life, face to face, shrinking violet. Not much to say, go into a shell … just not as comfortable in real life. And that’s where I think socialization is good, it teaches you, sometimes you need to be put in your place … online burns aren’t a substitute.

And with things being as they are, typically a mom and dad both having to work or single parenthood … tougher to manage the kids and tech can just fry them.

It tickles me when I see kids doing things the “old school” way, imo, it’s just a more balanced way that gives them a better chance moving forward.
I think so too. No one could have seen this coming when the internet was developed but it is crazy the negative implications of many aspects of technology with this chief among them (for now). So many kids are depressed now and it is directly related to technology. Depression among teens skyrocketed since 2008? Why 2008? Well of course that is when social media use started to skyrocket. Not a coincidence. Between that and all the misinformation and lack of critical thinking, the potential for AI to do God knows what (and when tech execs themselves express concern we should be worried) and what could happen to everyone's financial access if some event happened whether some kind of attack or a natural occurrence such as the Carrington event that happens every 200 years and could happen again in the next few decades which could destroy computers and prevent people from having any sort of financial access for months...technology has done a lot of great but there is some big negatives with it.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I think so too. No one could have seen this coming when the internet was developed but it is crazy the negative implications of many aspects of technology with this chief among them (for now). So many kids are depressed now and it is directly related to technology. Depression among teens skyrocketed since 2008? Why 2008? Well of course that is when social media use started to skyrocket. Not a coincidence. Between that and all the misinformation and lack of critical thinking, the potential for AI to do God knows what (and when tech execs themselves express concern we should be worried) and what could happen to everyone's financial access if some event happened whether some kind of attack or a natural occurrence such as the Carrington event that happens every 200 years and could happen again in the next few decades which could destroy computers and prevent people from having any sort of financial access for months...technology has done a lot of great but there is some big negatives with it.
If a Carrington event occurred, only the Amish and Aborigines would not skip a beat.

• Haha
Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT