ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava

I think he has short arms. Those shoulder pads seem to be in his way a lot.

JM has been getting more and more hesitant with his throws. Seems like he’s thinking too much. I don’t know but I found myself hoping BM would be put into the game today just to provide a different look, especially on the final drive when needed yards where BM has the stronger arm and runs better. I’m probably just reacting to the loss but JM definitely seems to be playing tight and it seems to be getting worse with each game. Just may be too much for a freshman?

Huh? Come on, that's a ridiculous take. You don't bring on the backup on the final drive where Maiava has already won 2 games in final minute this year... his biggest struggle has been locking into White when White isn't there and not coming off to others at times. The play calling at times was incredibly vanilla and the shots he took weren't there on the last drive. I still think we should use the TE more when they're trying to put 2 on White because I don't think there's a LB in conference that can stay with our TE 1 on 1

My only issue with him is game management. He seems to slow down and doesn't get the team lined up and ready to run the next play. Sometimes I wonder if he understand the play clock. A good QB must always know the basics ( what down & distance, How much time left on the play clock).

The play calling the final drive had something to be desired. Screen pass with plenty of space until the sideline was an absolute killer. They were bracketing Ricky and had dudes back. The middle of the field should have been exploited. Clock stops to move the chains. Throwing underneath 10 yards has no place.

Last edited:
I’ll start by saying that he’s our best QB this year (and for the past several years).

Now that we’ve established that…

He needs to strengthen his arm quite a bit. His passes have too much air under them.

This is constructive criticism and he can improve in this area. He’s a freshman and far from a finished product.
Yeah, you could tell that Dr. Chevan Cordeiro, MD., Esq. was the better QB out there. All Maiva needs is 7 years of college, a 401k plan and a pension to help get him where he needs to be.

The play calling the final drive had something to be desired. Screen pass with plney of space until the sideline was anabsolute killer. They were bracketing Ricky and had dudes back. The middle of the field should have been exploited. Clock stops to move the chains. Throwing underneath 10 yards has no place.
Last drive was disappointing, no doubt about it. Would’ve liked to see us at least have a chance by getting some chunk yardage.

Reactions: goraphareb
The play calling the final drive had something to be desired. Screen pass with plenty of space until the sideline was an absolute killer. They were bracketing Ricky and had dudes back. The middle of the field should have been exploited. Clock stops to move the chains. Throwing underneath 10 yards has no place.
This was also the case at fresno state. Both games felt similar from the offense.

Wanting Doug to come in for the final drive is laughable. He managed to make Ricky White a non factor in the offense.
Does it frustrate anyone else when they send Maiava out wide as a WR and bring in Brumfield to run QB? I noticed at least twice today.

Does it frustrate anyone else when they send Maiava out wide as a WR and bring in Brumfield to run QB? I noticed at least twice today.
Yes. It made that terrible 4th and 2 play even worse. If you want to have Doug come in and run the keeper (I think it’s a bad call) that’s fine. But at least take Maiava completely out and split White out wide. Give the defense at least a tiny something to think about. Having Maiava out wide does nothing but give the defense 100% confirmation it’s a run.

We sucked today.....BUT I'd like to thank this team for the most enjoyable fall I've had in the last 30+ years of watching UNLV Football ....Stay the course keep getting better and most of all THANK YOU for the effort...and no I'm not a participation throphy guy....But seriously thank you guys.....

I’ll start by saying that he’s our best QB this year (and for the past several years).

Now that we’ve established that…

He needs to strengthen his arm quite a bit. His passes have too much air under them.

This is constructive criticism and he can improve in this area. He’s a freshman and far from a finished product.
spell his name correctly, BC. He is the best I have seen. He is going to get better every game every year.

We sucked today.....BUT I'd like to thank this team for the most enjoyable fall I've had in the last 30+ years of watching UNLV Football ....Stay the course keep getting better and most of all THANK YOU for the effort...and no I'm not a participation throphy guy....But seriously thank you guys.....
WE really did not suck. ? SJSU was the better team no doubt, but to bring a C plus game and only lose 6 i will take it. Odom says we still have not played our best. If we can do that in the next 2 games i will be elated. We seriously need a pass rush. Just goes to show u how good this coaching staff is . We are always in a position to win almost every game even when we are playing bad or down 21 points.

Yeah, you could tell that Dr. Chevan Cordeiro, MD., Esq. was the better QB out there. All Maiva needs is 7 years of college, a 401k plan and a pension to help get him where he needs to be.
My critique wasn’t based on one game. It was based on the entire season and how to make progress moving forward.

Obviously the San Jose QB is the best in the conference. I wasn’t comparing our QB to him.

I was looking at it from a throwing the football perspective.

My bad that I didn’t take into account his dental plan, plans for his future, etc.

The clock should stop, at least I thought, but I noticed that they didn't stop the clock even once when moving the chains during the last couple of drives by UNLV.

My critique wasn’t based on one game. It was based on the entire season and how to make progress moving forward.

Obviously the San Jose QB is the best in the conference. I wasn’t comparing our QB to him.

I was looking at it from a throwing the football perspective.

My bad that I didn’t take into account his dental plan, plans for his future, etc.
Easy to be the best QB n the conference when your first helmet was leather.

But I agree on Maiava. I think 2nd or third year Maiava drives down the field for a game winner. On the flip side, if we were up 37-31 and SJSU had the ball with 50 seconds left, I think that QB wins the game. That f**cker was putting all 10,000 hours of being a college QB to work yesterday.

Also, WUZ HAPPNIN’ B MONEY!!!!

Reactions: Rebel1986
Yes. It made that terrible 4th and 2 play even worse. If you want to have Doug come in and run the keeper (I think it’s a bad call) that’s fine. But at least take Maiava completely out and split White out wide. Give the defense at least a tiny something to think about. Having Maiava out wide does nothing but give the defense 100% confirmation it’s a run.
I don't mind having him come in and run the keeper but you have to make them believe a pass is possible and I agree lining Maiava out wide does the opposite. Unless they are setting up film to make teams believe this and end up passing it to him against Boise or in a bowl game.

Reactions: HerdFan86
I don't mind having him come in and run the keeper but you have to make them believe a pass is possible and I agree lining Maiava out wide does the opposite. Unless they are setting up film to make teams believe this and end up passing it to him against Boise or in a bowl game.

If you use Doug I would think you'd want to utilize his legs more and threaten the edge vs going up the middle with him. Even make it an RPO situation. If it's up the gut, I'd think you'd go with bigger guy in Maiava..

If you use Doug I would think you'd want to utilize his legs more and threaten the edge vs going up the middle with him. Even make it an RPO situation. If it's up the gut, I'd think you'd go with bigger guy in Maiava..
I agree especially since it seems his injuries come from runs up the middle (albeit usually scramble plays).

I agree especially since it seems his injuries come from runs up the middle (albeit usually scramble plays).

There was one other decision made I didn't understand.

It was 3rd and 6. Marion calls a run play. I think Rebs gained 3 or 4 yards. I don't have an issue with the run call in itself. But Odom elected to kick the FG (missed) vs go for it on 4th. I think if you call run there, it's now two down territory and you go on fourth down unless it was completely stuffed for no gain.

Last edited:
The clock should stop, at least I thought, but I noticed that they didn't stop the clock even once when moving the chains during the last couple of drives by UNLV.
It stops the last 2 minutes of each half to move the chains. They stopped it on our first downs that last drive.

There was one other decision made I didn't understand.

It was 3rd and 6. Marion calls a run play. I think Rebs gained 3 or 4 yards. I don't have an issue with the run call in itself. But Odom elected to kick the FG (missed) vs go for it on 4th. I think if you call run there, it's now two down territory and you go on fourth down unless it was completely stuffed for no gain.
I think teams will run that play periodically to try and get the defense off guard. It's not my favorite but it does work once in a while. In the NFL the Patriots have done that more often than they should.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Ladies! Just because Tark introduced us to the pinnacle of sports in basketball, we do not have the right to complain about this football season in any form. We should be celebrating. I think a lot of us diehards just got a taste of what it's like to be a football school. And after decades of decadence, we're slowly losing our love for basketball. That or we now know it'll take football money to resurrect our basketball program. Either way... Pay Odom! Pay his entire staff. Replace CKK with someone just as successful. We have the damn facilities, city and fan base.

My only issue with him is game management. He seems to slow down and doesn't get the team lined up and ready to run the next play. Sometimes I wonder if he understand the play clock. A good QB must always know the basics ( what down & distance, How much time left on the play clock).
It's coaching. At any time, the coaches could have said to speed it up. The last 10 minutes of the game, down 20 points, there was no sense of urgency. None. It felt like they had already accepted the loss. Not until the final minute drive did the Rebels play faster. Those last 3 drives should have been run under 2 minute offense conditions

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You can't keep spotting your opponents 17+ points at the start.

No you can't..

But you also can't fumble on a kick off. Or in the case of the FSU game muff a punt.

There's a balance between play calling and execution, and which is to blame.

Two examples of the play call was right but execution not so much.

Run blitz called two defenders meet at the running back 3 or 4 yards deep. Perfectly timed call. Both defenders fail to wrap up and instead of 3rd and forever, the run turns into a first down.

Deep pass down the middle. Safety comes over to help. SJSU WR high points the ball and beats two defenders.

Call was right, coverage was there, SJSU player made a great play.

That play in particular is one of those that always kinda makes me laugh how some fans react.

If it's Ricky White making that grab Ricky is a beast! If it's SJSU guy making the grab coaching sucks or our guys suck..

Point being I think results of games are determined by an equal mix of calls/execution and bit of individual.

Thought early on the calls were right on offense execution was poor.

Later in the game, I didn't love a couple of the play calls and how it was managed.

Probably first game this season I disagreed with some of how Odom handled the clock and Marion called the game.

Last edited:
No you can't..

But you also can't fumble on a kick off. Or in the case of the FSU game muff a punt.

Run blitz called two defenders meet at the running back 3 or 4 yards deep. Perfectly timed call. Both defenders fail to wrap up and instead of 3rd and forever, the run turns into a first down.

Deep pass down the middle. Safety comes over to help. SJSU WR high points the ball and beats two defenders.

That play in particular is one of those that always kinda makes me laugh how some fans react.

If it's Ricky White making that grab Ricky is a beast! If it's SJSU guy making the grab coaching sucks or our guys suck..

Point being I think results of games are determined by an equal mix of calls/execution and bit of individual.

Later in the game, I didn't love a couple of the play calls and how it was managed.

Probably first game this season I disagreed with some of how Odom handled the clock and Marion called the game.
Exactly my takeaway as well. Basically death by a thousand cuts due to lapses or failed execution.

I did have issue with onside kicking at 6 1/2 minutes to play. Clock math said it wasn't time to push the onside kick button. Both onside kicks were bad. Pinning them deep and getting stops would have seen us starting our offensive drives from the middle third of the field rather than starting twice from deep in minus territory. This alone cost us 1-2 minutes and may have been the difference in having more or the playbook open and being tougher to defend on the final drive.

Exactly my takeaway as well. Basically death by a thousand cuts due to lapses or failed execution.

I did have issue with onside kicking at 6 1/2 minutes to play. Clock math said it wasn't time to push the onside kick button. Both onside kicks were bad. Pinning them deep and getting stops would have seen us starting our offensive drives from the middle third of the field rather than starting twice from deep in minus territory. This alone cost us 1-2 minutes and may have been the difference in having more or the playbook open and being tougher to defend on the final drive.

Felt same way.

As much as I hate them usually, I almost would rather one of those pooch or squib kicks to make guys not use to returning have to handle the ball.

Shorter field but not as short as the onside.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The onsides I didn't have a huge problem with.

We struggled to slow them, let alone stop them at all between the 20's all game long. It was desperation with a huge deficit to overcome in one quarter. I can see an argument against that second onside kick since we stopped them before. But SJSU probably opens their playbook more and more likely to eat even more clock.

Seems like our QB looks ONLY right about 90% of the time ,but most of the big plays seems to be from the left WHEN he throws. I know he is a freshman i cant wait to see how he does when he starts to mature.

No you can't..

If it was the catch by SJSU late in the game that I am thinking of, the defense did everything they could, the WR just made a great catch!

If it was the catch by SJSU late in the game that I am thinking of, the defense did everything they could, the WR just made a great catch!

Yep.

The defensive call was right. Two defenders were in position to make play. When the pass was thrown I saw the angle Turner had on the ball and thought it was going to get picked.

Play like that you tip your cap to the other dude.

I just think it's funny when opponents make great plays it's because our guys suck or coaches screwed up. But if our guys make great plays it's because they are amazing.

Nobody ever posts 'LOL their corners suck, they let Ricky catch the ball'..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT