ADVERTISEMENT

DJ

unlove

Rebel Legend
Feb 24, 2004
The kid has been far more than we could expect from a high school senior/college freshman. He’s carried a heavy load for the team and continues to get better it seems. Yesterday he led the team in scoring again and led the team in rebounds for most of the game, ending up tied for the most rebounds. He also leads the team in minutes per game and that has begun to worry me. Yesterday he was hobbling around a bit in the first half. He seemed ok in the second but I’m concerned about his stamina thru the end of the regular season and into the MWCT. Without DJ this team is bottom third in the conf and has no shot in the MWCT. With Wyoming and especially SJSU coming up next Sat at home perhaps CKK should give DJ some rest in those games and play him sparingly (unless needed). After those games come SDSU and then at UNR, then the MWCT. The next two games will be the last chance to get him some rest and fully healthy for the final push.

We're winning games by a bucket or 2... when is he going to rest him? It's not like we blow out teams and have the luxury of running bench guys for Long stretches. It would require Webster or JJ3 to step up and actually score/move the offense around, which neither has done. It's one of the negative side effects of a poor bench. We're just not good outside the starting 5 and we can only buy him a minute here or there otherwise teams go on runs against us. Same goes for Whaley

Reactions: RRebel
We're winning games by a bucket or 2... when is he going to rest him? It's not like we blow out teams and have the luxury of running bench guys for Long stretches. It would require Webster or JJ3 to step up and actually score/move the offense around, which neither has done. It's one of the negative side effects of a poor bench. We're just not good outside the starting 5 and we can only buy him a minute here or there otherwise teams go on runs against us. Same goes for Whaley
Nearly every MWC team is down to a 7 player rotation ( with another couple getting in the mid single digit minutes ). We are the same. Without Whaley either Cottrell or Webster will have to get his minutes.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I don’t want to put a version of the announcer’s jinx on him, but I have to give this stat because it speaks to his toughness and resilience and, more generally, to how great he’s been as a freshman point guard in a league with pretty solid guard play: 14/14 at the line since the UNR game. If we somehow sneak into the tournament this year it’ll be because of him. If he’s here next year I think we make the NCAAT no matter who is coaching. I had to say it. Please, basketball gods, let the jinx pass him/us by.

I will add, who has played better than DJ as a true freshmen at UNLV? The kid is averaging 12.8 ppg and is top 30 in the nation in both assists at 5.6 apg and assist to turnover ratio at 2.84. Also, his growth as the season has progressed has been amazing.

I will add, who has played better than DJ as a true freshmen at UNLV? The kid is averaging 12.8 ppg and is top 30 in the nation in both assists at 5.6 apg and assist to turnover ratio at 2.84. Also, his growth as the season has progressed has been amazing.

That a great question and great discussion of best true freshman to play for UNLV.

Anthony Bennett for one, Was Kambala a true freshman or RS? Dalron Johnson.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
That is a fun question. People who I think are in that conversation with just their 2 primary stats since you could play freshmen:

Anthony Bennett: 16.1 ppg 8.1 rpg
Brandon McCoy: 16.9 ppg 10.3 rpg
Rashad Vaughn: 17.8 ppg 4.8 rpg
Wink Adams: 10.9 ppg 3.3 rpg + Best Defender on the Team
Anderson Hunt: 12.0 ppg 3.6 apg + great defender
Boobie James: 12.6 ppg 3.6 apg
Sydney Green: 15.6 ppg 11.1 rpg

These guys were all really solid, and if someone made a hard argument for some of them you'd at least listen

Joel Ntambwe: 11.8 ppg 5.5 rpg
Derrick Jones: 11.5 ppg 4.5 rpg
Steven Zimmerman: 10.5 ppg 8.7 rpg
Katin Reinhardt: 10.1 ppg 2.5 apg
Dalron Johnson: 11.1 ppg 6.9 rpg
Kaspars Kambala: 11.6 ppg 7.4 rpg
Stacey Augmon: 9.7 ppg 6.1 rpg + best defender on the team
Eldridge Hudson: 9.3 ppg 5.6 rpg
Larry Anderson: 11.4 ppg 3.0 rpg
Spiderman Burns: 10.1 ppg 6.3 rpg
Eddie Owens: 10.1 ppg 4.8 rpg

But as far as PGs go, I think DJ stands alone for freshman. I think the closest is probably Oscar Bellfield

Last edited:
That is a fun question. People who I think are in that conversation with just their 2 primary stats since you could play freshmen:

These guys were all really solid, and if someone made a hard argument for some of them you'd at least listen

Eddit Owens: 10.1 ppg 4.8 rpg

But as far as PGs go, I think DJ stands alone for freshman. I think the closest is probably Oscar Bellfield
I went to high school with Spiderman Burns. It was sad that after his junior year he totally imploded. I think he was kicked off the team, but really can not remember since he was a few years ahead of me and went to UNLV in 1978.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Eddit Owens: 10.1 ppg 4.8 rpg

What makes DJ so good are the little things. The poise for one, the ball handling, the changing of speeds. He just feels like he is seasoned well beyond his years.

But it really has been the consistency game in game out. We've had impact freshman, but rarely they are consistent as what DJ has been.

He isn't a perfect player just yet, but I can't remember being more pleasantly surprised from a highly touted recruit coming in. Pat McCaw was a pleasant surprise, but he wasn't a big time recruit.

His numbers are good, but I don't think they tell the whole story. Considering the slower pace, how he leads the team in minutes, and he is improving as the year has gone on, it has been quite remarkable.

Reactions: unlove
What makes DJ so good are the little things. The poise for one, the ball handling, the changing of speeds. He just feels like he is seasoned well beyond his years.

But it really has been the consistency game in game out. We've had impact freshman, but rarely they are consistent as what DJ has been.

He isn't a perfect player just yet, but I can't remember being more pleasantly surprised from a highly touted recruit coming in. Pat McCaw was a pleasant surprise, but he wasn't a big time recruit.

His numbers are good, but I don't think they tell the whole story. Considering the slower pace, how he leads the team in minutes, and he is improving as the year has gone on, it has been quite remarkable.
He reminds me so much of Stephon Marbury.

I dont think hes similar to Marbury at all. Stephon was more of a scorer and show time. Played with that attitude and grit. DJ has different traits but is still very good.
Starbury grew up in NY and play at Rucker Park on a regular basis. He is more developed at the GT but remember DJ should be in HS as a senior this year. What I am trying to show is the cunning of their mental make up that is similar. Look at the passing abilities and how they find ways to get buckets.

Still very good. DJ should be the best PG in the nation. IF UNLV managed to get into the NCAA Dance, the nation will see it. I hope Whaley is healthy as well and the rest of the team. It is going to be game on!

Last edited:
We do need LuRod to play lights out defense and score on the runs.

If you had to compare him to a renown GaTech PG, he' a little more Kenny Anderson than Starbury. But I don't really see a ton of either of them in him, really.

Reactions: lobbybuu
Where’s he transferring to…

That’s the million dollar question

I'd rather my school do what's best for the program rather than be held hostage by a player over and over again... it would be disappointing to see Dedan go, but a single player/parent shouldn't dictate to the program what it's buisness is

HOW is everyone going to feel about Kevin Kruger

When His Dad (Dedan Sr) says

"of coarse Dedan will be back at UNLV for his Soph year - as long Coach Kevin is still the head coach we will be back"
Do what’s best for him and his kid.

He’ll get more exposure going to a better program and get paid more.

I dont think hes similar to Marbury at all. Stephon was more of a scorer and show time. Played with that attitude and grit. DJ has different traits but is still very good.
Yeah I agree. Besides the “PG” by their name, I’m not seeing the similarities. Kenny Anderson maybe but not Starbury.

If you had to compare him to a renown GaTech PG, he' a little more Kenny Anderson than Starbury. But I don't really see a ton of either of them in him, really.
Is this better, Couev?

LSU's Chris Jackson

You played at Rucker's?

Is this better, Couev?

LSU's Chris Jackson

Jackson was an elite ball dominant scorer, and not a distributor at all. He averaged nearly as many turnovers as assists in his college career and his sophomore year his A:T ratio was 0.67--for every 2 assists he had 3 turnovers. I think he was quicker and faster than DJ and his jumpshot and runner skills were way better.

If we're just naming PGs from the late 80s or 90s who he reminds us of, i'm not sure where you're coming from. Is the next guy The Glove?

Going by those metrics I'd put him as a bit of an average between Brevin Knight from Stanford for his size, head always up and controlled handles, and poise and Keith "Mister" Jennings from East Tennessee State in his quickness and distribution. Maybe that average ends up being a little bit undersized Ed Cota from UNC?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT