ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne

Rebel77fl2

Conference POY
Apr 15, 2016
This guy is usually plugged in on who is in the mix. He also has strong opinions but in terms of who is being targeted he usually is accurate.
First time I have seen confirmation that Kenny Payne is on UNLV’s radar.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
Kenny Payne or Jason Kidd would be okay. As long as it isn't Todd Simon, I can get behind them. Except maybe Frank Martin.

Payne or bust. Unless you can land a Matta or Beilein. Guy can recruit. Look how Kentucky has struggled since he left and Knicks are doing good. Player development , motivator , and his players love him. Not to worried about Xs and Os with what potentially the type of players he could bring in. Leave that to the assistant coach.

I am a no on Jason Kidd, but hey could be worse. I just don’t see the upside with no college experience. I also saw a rumor that John Welch might be a candidate for the U of Denver job. Just someone to keep an eye on if we need to find a coach again two years from now. With no college experience I don’t think he is realistic but maybe if he succeeds somewhere. He came to mind as his son just graduated as a walk-on from Kentucky and played under Payne last year.

edit:I should say recent college experience for Welch.

Step in right direction not hiring a search firm to do the ADs job. Might also mean there is interest from a party DRF is happy with, ie Payne, C. Martin.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
IMO, if you are getting a coach with no Head Coaching experience Payne is a great choice. My only downside is his lack of West Coast ties. His only coaching experience in the West is 15 years ago as an Oregon assistant. Also would he be able to immediately leave the nicks?

IMO, if you are getting a coach with no Head Coaching experience Payne is a great choice. My only downside is his lack of West Coast ties. His only coaching experience in the West is 15 years ago as an Oregon assistant. Also would he be able to immediately leave the nicks?
With his KY connections/AAU, I am sure he's been in Vegas during the summer, I am sure he will have West Coast Especially California Pipeline. KY recruits nationally, so not worried there, I am sure Payne will ask Coach Cal about hiring the proper staff to help him.

Thank Geez DRF no search firm. UNLV is way better than Depaul, granted Chicago is great city.

One question. Many seem to be a-ok with Payne who has no heading coaching experience and is many years removed from his collegiate assistant gig in Oregon and has no tie or relationship to the UNLV glory years but for some reason many think Augmon would be a bad choice. So are the pro Augmon and pro Payne. In one group and the anti Payne and Augmon in another group?

Reactions: willlevi
One question. Many seem to be a-ok with Payne who has no heading coaching experience and is many years removed from his collegiate assistant gig in Oregon and has no tie or relationship to the UNLV glory years but for some reason many think Augmon would be a bad choice. So are the pro Augmon and pro Payne. In one group and the anti Payne and Augmon in another group?
Both guys look like they would be very similar hires, no head coaching experience but lots of NBA assistant coach experience with some years of college assistant experience. Some will say Payne might be a better recruiter, as far as player development I'm not sure. Augmon is a former player and has wanted the job so I say if you give Payne a look you have to give a hard consideration for Augmon! I just think based on what happened a few years ago when they didn't name Augmon the interm coach they won't give him a shot but we do have a different AD now and she knows this hire could determine her job status very soon so you never know!

I still prefer a proven big name coach but @Rebel_Luv has me convinced we’d be okay with an unproven coach as long as he’s an ELITE recruiter like Kenny Payne (or Mike Miller was another name Luv mentioned). I’m definitely not Anti-Augmon and I would be 100% behind a Stacey hire but I think we need to kick the tires on some other options first.

I still prefer a proven big name coach but @Rebel_Luv has me convinced we’d be okay with an unproven coach as long as he’s an ELITE recruiter like Kenny Payne (or Mike Miller was another name Luv mentioned). I’m definitely not Anti-Augmon and I would be 100% behind a Stacey hire but I think we need to kick the tires on some other options first.
If we kick too many tires the transfer portal will have dried up.

Give me Ryan Miller or Stacey Augmon (if possible) and call it a day! This shouldn't be that difficult which is exactly why I think the AD will mess this up!

The only problem with Payne is, he wouldn't be able to start until after the Knicks season ends in mid May, or later if they make the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a good idea for a team that will most likely have a bunch of roster spots to fill.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Stacey has no chance under this administration, the Marvolous One has better chance being named.

Payne vs Augmon

Playing Career. Augmon had a hands down better career than Payne. Stacey had a Better college record, Better Pro record by far.

Coaching. Comparable careers with IMO a slight edge to Payne. Augmon has had a longer pro coaching career by far with stints at four organizations and a year as a head coach in a Korean League. Stacey was a assistant for a UNLV team that had some success but nothing compared to the success Payne had at Kentucky. Payne has a college coaching career at both Oregon and Kentucky. He was an assistant on a National Championship team. He recruited many current NBA players and some stars. Has only one year as a pro coach. I give him the nod because he coached in college up to last year and Augmon has been out for 5 years.

Looking at the recent news it looks like Payne won't be in the mix much longer. If he was I think he and Stacey are close to tied with a slight edge to Payne due to he more recent college coaching experience.

Warthog, there is no comparison on Kenny Payne and Stacey Augmon at a college coaching level.

I like Augmon, but there is no reason to put Augmon even near Payne.

Here is a good article on Payne from when he joined the Knicks.

The only problem with Payne is, he wouldn't be able to start until after the Knicks season ends in mid May, or later if they make the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a good idea for a team that will most likely have a bunch of roster spots to fill.
No way anyone waits till May to have him join. Makes no sense. Maybe his name is big enough where kids will wait? Hard to do 2 jobs at the same time.

My biggest concern with Ice which is no different that its always been. Does he have the make up to be a head coach? He is very reserved, low key, soft spoken and to has never seemed to be very comfortable with the media. There are some guys that have the "it" factor, Ice doesnt really have that. Either did Rice and many other HC's across the county so its not a requirement but it helps to have that driver personality.

Man I was listening to a podcast with Grimalla and Ray Brewer, man did that getting me depressed! Them talking about potential guys to take over the program, talk about not having some imagination! Brewer said he likes Kruger followed by Simon, reason being cause they would stay long term and they know the city/university! I don't have a problem going that route (not Simon though, would put Augmon in there instead) but not as your first option! He literally had no other guys he liked, what! Grimalla brought up some other names; Archie Miller, No! Why? You don't think he comes here and we get in to some NCAA trouble with our history. What! Grimalla was like that has nothing to do with him, oh but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You think he comes here after being in Indiana? Yeah but no power 5 will.hire him for a bit and he had Dayton as one of the best mid majors for 4-5years Wow! He then brought up Augmon and he said ok, maybe! I'm not saying that going the ex rebel route is wrong but man if you can get a proven winner to come here you have to take a look at that first! I think our AD knows that her job could very well be on the line with this hire so she can't do another Otz hire, it's got to be a good well know name or if she can't get that then she might roll the dice on a Kruger/Augmon type of hire. With that buyout money she should be able to pay up to about 2.5 million per year, that's going with normal booster support. It would only go higher if she allowed heavy booster involvement. I know she didn't do that last time but since her contract ends next year she might change her mind!

I think you go after the bigger names first then work you self down from there, tier 1, tier 2, and then tier 3. But you have to move quickly and not take your damm time especially with all this transfer and play right away stuff! In the end if you end up having to hire from tier 3 just don't let it be a "Menzies" type of hire! I can't believe I read that when the Cronin and then Beard thing fell apart Menzies was chosen over Lavin, unbelievable! If you can't get the guys you want then.i rather go with a guy connected to the program rather that a "Menzies", "Otz" type of hire!

**** the transfer portal, next year is a giveaway year.
I think the transfer portal is extremely important for the first year. A couple of good Sr. transfers along with two JC's and the 4 from our current team gives you an 8 man rotation. Hopefully we keep Kaluma too. 9 men.

I think the transfer portal is extremely important for the first year. A couple of good Sr. transfers along with two JC's and the 4 from our current team gives you an 8 man rotation. Hopefully we keep Kaluma too. 9 men.
He already decommitted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT