ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne

Nah, Kaluma is gone. His coach left. I don’t expect him to stick around.

There are 2, maybe three guys currently on the roster that should be Rebels. The rest never belonged here from the jump.
Yea, but if we dont replace with better players we might be a 250 rpi team.

No mention of Augmon. Alright, I’ve moved on from reality.

we don’t have 10 millionfor Pitino buyout. That’s a pipedream.

Damn, this is depressing.

Kevin Kruger as coach is my tier 3 choice.

Reactions: Trax0r
No mention of Augmon. Alright, I’ve moved on from reality.

we don’t have 10 millionfor Pitino buyout. That’s a pipedream.

Damn, this is depressing.

Kevin Kruger as coach is my tier 3 choice.
Augmon and Kruger are for sure if we can't get our top choices! But why is everyone thinking if we don't get a Belien, Thad Matta, or a Pitino it's straight to "tier 3"! There is so many coaches that we could go after or want to come here that no disrespect but are a better option than just settling for what we can get! I know that we can all disagree on who we think is the best fit but look at some of the teams that have been or are successful in this conference. San Diego St.= they have been at or near the top for about 15 years, who did they hire? A name coach that was fired from a big program and came with some baggage, I mean he end up at SDSU in The late 90s which was in the toilet at the time! It took him about 5 years but he got it rolling and it never stopped! His assistant took it over and it has continued!

New Mexico did it to with Alford, he was fired from Iowa and he came to a smaller conference and got the Lobos rolling! Yeah he went to UCLA and it didn't work out but here he is at UNR and from the looks of it he will have it rolling again there too!( man I hate to say that!) New Mexico now is doing it again with R Pitino and I have a feeling he's going to get it going again!

My point is that we haven't done that since Kruger,
and it worked but our dumb administration and some boosters didn't think he was winning enough! Then came Rice, then Menzies, and Otz. A guy with no head coaching experience but has ties, and two coaches from lower level programs. The only one there with success was Rice!

I say a name coach if possible, maybe someone trying for a second chance, then it would be the NBA coach or assistant coach route, and if that doesn't work then you say ok let look at K Kruger or Augmon

It is not so simple to hire a coach. There are negotiations that take time. The higher profile, the more time. The more time spent chasing chimeras, the less time to find a viable coach. And then the new coach has to rush to assemble a staff and recruit for the upcoming season. The balance is between rushing and hiring a “lesser” coach to get done quickly and taking too long and hiring a “consolation “ coach after the viable candidates said no.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
It is not so simple to hire a coach. There are negotiations that take time. The higher profile, the more time. The more time spent chasing chimeras, the less time to find a viable coach. And then the new coach has to rush to assemble a staff and recruit for the upcoming season. The balance is between rushing and hiring a “lesser” coach to get done quickly and taking too long and hiring a “consolation “ coach after the viable candidates said no.
Why bother posting that? Yeah, the sky is blue.....

Better yet,Don’t run off one of the greatest coaches ever and we wouldn’t be in this predicament.The succession plan would have been in order to continue to dominate.

It is simple. Look how long it took UNM to upgrade.

There’s always excuses for everything UNLV ... they suck because... they’re slow because ... built in excuses for failure, pick from the basket of excuses and slap it on as an application.

This isn’t rocket science. This isn’t even Pascal’s law. If there’s a wrong way, UNLV will find it 9 out of 10 times.

Reactions: Trax0r
Better yet,Don’t run off one of the greatest coaches ever and we wouldn’t be in this predicament.The succession plan would have been in order to continue to dominate.
Where the hell did Hiker's savior Maxson took UNLV?

Didn't Matta have some health issues he was dealing with when he left tOSU? Also, his teams had been fading the last few years he was there and his recruiting had gotten worse. He's had ample opportunity to get back in the game and hasn't. I don't think the fire is there anymore. Everytime I see his name I smh. Nope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT