ADVERTISEMENT

Joshua Jefferson

The team's post about DJ running it back was interesting. If he was never going to transfer like a lot of people say, then why would they make that post? Its almost as if they knew he was leaving, but he decided to "run it back" for whatever reason. They also made it after LJ Cryer announced he was coming back. All dominoes.

In terms of Jefferson, how does he fit with Whaley? Whaley posted that picture and we can imply that he is returning. I don't think a lineup with those 2 is the best move. I prefer Jefferson starting at the 4 and Rob off the bench. So perhaps Rob's post was more about Jefferson not coming here and Rob staying because of that? Idk.
Who knows, but I'll take talent wherever we can find it and if that means we have a guy who could start be a 6th man then we should be doing what ever we can to make that happen. Good teams have good backups.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
If Whaley or Hill aren't returning, than Josh Jefferson makes a TON of sense. Otherwise, apart from his relationship with DJ, I'm not sure what the role would be for another 4 who shoots under 30% from 3 and generates most of his offense from inside 12 feet.

This team desperately needs a wing shooter, preferably a 3 and D with some length, and a secondary ball handler, and then a shooter of any size well before we have any need for frontcourt depth. Maybe Hicks can groom his game to fill one of the two latter needs, but that still means we need at least 2 quality back court pieces.

If Whaley or Hill aren't returning, than Josh Jefferson makes a TON of sense. Otherwise, apart from his relationship with DJ, I'm not sure what the role would be for another 4 who shoots under 30% from 3 and generates most of his offense from inside 12 feet.

This team desperately needs a wing shooter, preferably a 3 and D with some length, and a secondary ball handler, and then a shooter of any size well before we have any need for frontcourt depth. Maybe Hicks can groom his game to fill one of the two latter needs, but that still means we need at least 2 quality back court pieces.
Duplication of low versatility is an awful way to construct a roster.

Duplication of low versatility is an awful way to construct a roster.
DTJ is the only “must keep” on our team. I hope that several others enter the portal including some that others have mentioned as ‘quality backups.’

If they don't leave, and if we don’t pick up some quality transfers, then CKK is digging his own grave before the season even starts. This is a new era. We shouldn’t be a developmental team. We should be getting some finished pieces.

DTJ is the only “must keep” on our team. I hope that several others enter the portal including some that others have mentioned as ‘quality backups.’

If they don't leave, and if we don’t pick up some quality transfers, then CKK is digging his own grave before the season even starts. This is a new era. We shouldn’t be a developmental team. We should be getting some finished pieces.
I'm really curious to see how this all shakes out. In general, when we've gotten portal guys, it's been a mix of some in March, most in April, and a handful after April. I'm sure the NIL situation makes things trickier than before though, so that may delay everything, IDK

Agree with that. He’s the only piece that is required. Put capable players around him instead of relying on him to be Bryce Hamilton, I think you’ll see him flourish even more. Sorry, but the rest of the players, they’re not bad, but they aren’t necessary as starters if you want a team that competes at a high level.

I don’t mind our players, but on the kind of team you want to have, the current starter types aside from Dedan should be your 6 through 10 group, not part of the starting lineup. IMO.

That was a lazy article by Grimala this morning on roster projection. I guess he’s got to fill a quota to collect a check.

So far it looks like CKK is going to be extremely quiet when talking about roster construction.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
He better be extremely successful or it’s adios and rightfully so, Kevin has been here too long already!
True, but I can’t recall a coach that wasn’t transparent with the media about his vision for next season. CKKs predecessor (love him or hate him) was pretty clear on what he was building.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Who knows, but I'll take talent wherever we can find it and if that means we have a guy who could start be a 6th man then we should be doing what ever we can to make that happen. Good teams have good backups.
We are dead in the water with a 5 star recruit.
As much as i love Thomas, he weighs 160 pounds, he was great, but calm down about the NBA, could he gain 20-25 pounds in the next few years, then maybe, but he has alot to work on his game, his defense is not good at all. Without him, UNLV would have been Air Force
We ARE AFA!! We just lost to them by 30 friggin’ points AT HOME!!

Are we watching the same team?

Oh by the way, my psychiatrist did his intern in Baltimore. Holy f’n crap. Imagine dispensing medication to people from the Wire.

Reactions: UNLVINMD
If a fruit fly is a coach who has been here 3 years already and really underachieved, then yes, he is a fruit fly and they are annoying.

He’s got to show or go!
That's your opinion. Yes games like LMU, Southern, AFA are a head scratcher...but we also get to watch UNLV beat SDSU, CSU, UNM twice, Creighton...some exciting basketball. Aint no one in the MWC is looking down on UNLV this year except our fans. It is far from perfect but we have some really nice games and the team is returning DJ and Whaley for next year. Sure doesn't feel like Drosophila to me.

That's your opinion. Yes games like LMU, Southern, AFA are a head scratcher...but we also get to watch UNLV beat SDSU, CSU, UNM twice, Creighton...some exciting basketball. Aint no one in the MWC is looking down on UNLV this year except our fans. It is far from perfect but we have some really nice games and the team is returning DJ and Whaley for next year. Sure doesn't feel like Drosophila to me.
I cannot spell Melanogaster...I hope that is right. Drosophila Melanogaster f*cking fruit fly

You are correct!

Reactions: edap23
I don’t mind our players, but on the kind of team you want to have, the current starter types aside from Dedan should be your 6 through 10 group, not part of the starting lineup. IMO.
THIS is SO true!

Sorry to become the negative fan the last couple of years. I'm really trying to be more optimistic. I swear. I just can't get past what I see with my own eyes. I'm no ex-coach at any level (although I did score 4 touchdowns in one game at Polk High), but I can see lack of plays/movement, and terrible defense in the form of switching. He's improved the defensive strategy some but the rest of it... I'm not buying it.

Then when I see how mediocre some of the players that we rely on are it makes me wonder if CKK made promises and can't renege. I see how short JJJ is and that he doesn't pass, but does CKK? I see how Shane should act like a 5-year old every time he hits a 3 since they both shoot it at that same consistency. Cotrell going for head fakes so easily makes me think that he wants to foul out for some reason.

Jones tries, bless his heart.

THIS is SO true!

Sorry to become the negative fan the last couple of years. I'm really trying to be more optimistic. I swear. I just can't get past what I see with my own eyes. I'm no ex-coach at any level (although I did score 4 touchdowns in one game at Polk High), but I can see lack of plays/movement, and terrible defense in the form of switching. He's improved the defensive strategy some but the rest of it... I'm not buying it.

Then when I see how mediocre some of the players that we rely on are it makes me wonder if CKK made promises and can't renege. I see how short JJJ is and that he doesn't pass, but does CKK? I see how Shane should act like a 5-year old every time he hits a 3 since they both shoot it at that same consistency. Cotrell going for head fakes so easily makes me think that he wants to foul out for some reason.

Al Bundy Omg GIF

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
THIS is SO true!

I don’t understand why you continue to be so negative.

You should be grateful that the last time we won an NCAAT game was 16 years ago. Count your blessings. There are dozens of other teams that have longer stretches.

We are dead in the water with a 5 star recruit.

We ARE AFA!! We just lost to them by 30 friggin’ points AT HOME!!

Are we watching the same team?

Oh by the way, my psychiatrist did his intern in Baltimore. Holy f’n crap. Imagine dispensing medication to people from the Wire.
Scrub: Baltimore, it's crap house, thank geez i live 45 miles from the dump, even the harbor area is gone to toast, if you never see Baltimore, your not missing anything, kill rate will go up this summer again.

When adam jones orioles cf at time was asked what his favorite part of baltimore was .." bwi airport so i can fly the hell home"..Shocked that jefferson taking a trip east visiting va...vcu...tho.. far from a done deal

• Haha
Im going to put this out there. I will be shocked if we dont make a splash this offseason. Have a team more suited for DJ. There is a reason why DJ is staying. There were plenty of suitors after him. Luckily for us his friends and family is out here.

Last Year:
Keylan Boone - April 19th
Kalib - April 20th
Hill - April 20th

There is plenty of time.
He will need a better haul than that to save his skin!

I get what you are saying but maybe knowing that this off season is not like last off season because this is your last if you fail.

I would try a different approach. I guess we will see what happens but when I say “this isn’t last year” above is what I’m getting at!

Last edited:
Im going to put this out there. I will be shocked if we dont make a splash this offseason. Have a team more suited for DJ. There is a reason why DJ is staying. There were plenty of suitors after him. Luckily for us his friends and family is out here.
The silence with recruiting is deafening so far. Hopefully it rounds to form.

Im not saying this is what they are doing, but what if instead of pursuing the bigger named realistic portal guys like we've don in the past, they're actually taking time to figure out what/who they need to bring in and are being more selective to find best fits? IDK, it makes me antsy as well, to only hear that Jefferson and the DePaul guard are scheduled visits, and a lot of silence on any one else..

If Peery leaves for BYU and why wouldn't he take a HC in the Big 12, who will actually run the program. Peery is very active on the sidelines. By the way Coach Odom has a new contract.

It is worrisome that we have heard almost nothing to this point about potential transfers other than Jefferson and that apparently isn't happening. Big holes to fill from a team that was a bit above mediocre in the first place.

If Peery leaves for BYU and why wouldn't he take a HC in the Big 12, who will actually run the program. Peery is very active on the sidelines. By the way Coach Odom has a new contract.
If Coach O can bitch slap Houston and Kansas in the OCC and go 4-0, I think that contract will be modified again.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT