ADVERTISEMENT

It's a done deal

If the trouble in paradise is referring to Thomas not coming in this year I sure hope Kevin finds a serviceable pg otherwise we will be week at the most important position. We don't have anybody on the current squad that is a pg unless Hicks is better than most think.
Reading between lines based only on Twitter and nothing else it looks like Diongue played a UNLV into a bigger fish offer...I'm sure @lobbybuu will be here shortly to provide any insight...

Reactions: Rebeldog04
Hello all,

It was a done deal, until it wasn't. I truly apologize on this one. I had it in good faith that this was a done deal and it really was, but something had to be worked out and it wasnt. I cant speak on the nature of the issue, but regardless, I'm sorry. I hope you all dont question my heart because I would never come on here and lie for clicks and views.

Momentum was bustling and this would have been the cherry on top. Feels like we take a huge step forward and 3 huge ones back. Again, I'm sorry this didnt work out and I apologize for getting everyone on this board excited with no results to show.

Hello all,

It was a done deal, until it wasn't. I truly apologize on this one. I had it in good faith that this was a done deal and it really was, but something had to be worked out and it wasnt. I cant speak on the nature of the issue, but regardless, I'm sorry. I hope you all dont question my heart because I would never come on here and lie for clicks and views.

Momentum was bustling and this would have been the cherry on top. Feels like we take a huge step forward and 3 huge ones back. Again, I'm sorry this didnt work out and I apologize for getting everyone on this board excited with no results to show.
Appreciate your Intel. Keep giving us the inside news. Understand some things fall through, but keep posting and keeping Rebel vibes

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hello all,

Too good, lobbybuu. I was floored when I first heard. Thank you for sharing your information, though. Keep it coming....a miss is a miss. It is recruiting. You miss more than you gain. Top 100 player to a bench on a team ranked outside 100 is not realistic at this point. Hopefully soon, though..
Not a big deal at all at this point.

I think it is pretty obvious Udeh isn't coming here, just like Love isn't either. Sorry bad humor. Maybe 30 years ago but not in the current shape of UNLV

I thought I'd share a funny story;

A so called expert messaged me on Twitter and said that the current players didnt think Diongue was worth a spot on the team and they wanted someone that they know will be worth it.

1. This is a blatant lie
2. If players felt this way, they would not go around telling people that are not on the team this type of stuff.

Wont say who messaged me this but lol yall can put your guesses in

A so called expert messaged me on Twitter and said that the current players didnt think Diongue was worth a spot on the team and they wanted someone that they know will be worth it.

1. This is a blatant lie
2. If players felt this way, they would not go around telling people that are not on the team this type of stuff.

Did he include smiley faces this time?

I'd actually be pretty impressed if the players did do that and then actually delivered though... I'm thinking a certain big man from North Dakota would fit that criteria, lol...

1. This is a blatant lie

The kid was on the team that UNLV beat last year. He didn't play much, though. And that UNLV team playing in the OOC games was totally different than the UNLV team that play in the MWC conference games. Injuries to Parquet was a devastating event. Plus LuRod injury. UNLV defense was ranked nationally until those events....

In all seriousness, lobbybuu who’s next on the big man radar?
What are your thoughts on Kevin’s chances with who’s left out there?

Hey we are UNLV. We got Cronined, again. We know how this works. It's not in the bag until papers are signed.

Sometimes that's even not enough, cough, Beard, Cough.

Thanks for the info Lobby. Fully appreciate it keep it coming!

Last edited:
Oh well not the end of the world. Would have been a great signing long term but it isn't like we built next year's team around him. Could have been much worse bad news.

IMO the kid didn't want accept his role which would be limited this year and backed out. He wants to start and in now way should he. He is a project and has a lot of work to do. Nothing wrong with that. That’s the problem with rankings. They create unrealistic expectations and are more wrong than right.

Hey we are UNLV. We got Cronined, again. We know how this works. It's not in the bag until papers are signed.

Sometimes that's even not enough, cough, Beard, Cough.

Thanks for the info Lobby. Fully appreciate it keep it coming!
Appreciate you D Cut!

In all seriousness, lobbybuu who’s next on the big man radar?
What are your thoughts on Kevin’s chances with who’s left out there?
I'll just list centers I'd reach out to (again, in some cases). idk the chances and all that because we went all in on Diongue

1. Diallo - SJSU
2. Vanover - ORU
3. Yetna - Seton Hall
4. Etienne - UCLA
5. Brennan - ASU
6. Ashton Smith - A&M

Last edited:
I'll just list centers I'd reach out to (again, in some cases). idk the chances and all that because we went all in on Diongue

1. Diallo - SJSU
2. Vanover - ORU
3. Yetna - Seton Hall
4. Etienne - UCLA
5. Brennan - ASU
6. Ashton Smith - A&M
Is there a timeframe that portal players have to decide? Or basically just as long as they can decide in time to enroll in school, it's fine?

If the trouble in paradise is referring to Thomas not coming in this year I sure hope Kevin finds a serviceable pg otherwise we will be week at the most important position. We don't have anybody on the current squad that is a pg unless Hicks is better than most think.
U have no confidence in JJ3 😂😂

Thankfully, decades of disappointment have mentally prepared me for situations like this. A loss but not a disastrous loss. I wouldn't anyone that didn't really want to be here anyway.

Every staff has a backup plan. In my case, I see Lu Rod as the back up plan along with Nowell. Both are excellent passers and can dribble through tough man on man. It would be a little unusual to see two 6'6 point/sg but with all the ball handlers and Big 12 experience, SEC and Pac12 experience in this group of tall guards, it would be a replay of BSU at times last year. Also Brooklyn, JJ and Webster would be an option vs smaller pg's like NM has. Dedan is playing a tough circuit right now so his decision on early graduration has to be thought of in that context.

JJIII at Hargrave MA averaged 6 assists per game. Led team to a 31-1 record. Shane did well at Eastside as leader in assists with pg who went to Gonzaga. Lu Rod has great hands, led SEC in steals at one point.

JJIII at Hargrave MA averaged 6 assists per game. Led team to a 31-1 record. Shane did well at Eastside as leader in assists with pg who went to Gonzaga. Lu Rod has great hands, led SEC in steals at one point.
Highschool is very different from college though, in regards to JJJ. He didnt show that same ability last season.

Shane is not a PG and will not successfully run an offense in college. LuRod is also not a PG. Being able to get assists is very different than running an entire offense.

Highschool is very different from college though, in regards to JJJ. He didnt show that same ability last season.

Shane is not a PG and will not successfully run an offense in college. LuRod is also not a PG. Being able to get assists is very different than running an entire offense.
So , Lobby...are you saying we still need a pt guard ?

So , Lobby...are you saying we still need a pt guard ?
Everyone is free to interpret my comments how they like.

What am I saying is I dont think JJJ, Nowell, or LuRod are capable of running the 1.

I never said anything about adding a new PG or if DJ wasnt coming in 2023, which is why this topic came up in the first place

I think JJ3 has the ball skills to run point on a team with a lot of offensive players. He doesn't need to dribble the ball around and create space and collapse defenses by himself, then make the perfect pass.
He needs to protect the ball in the back court, create enough space to make the FIRST pass. It would be super nice if he could feed the post, which is a skill that is tougher than it looks. Bit again wings need to be able to do that too
I think Webster could embrace this role too. Though A. he is not as quick, B it would limit his catch and shoot opportunities which is his biggest attribute. Also I think JJ is a better perimeter defender. At the end of last year he moved his feet well and could actually stop dribble drive penetration.
Of course all of this is dependent on an actual halfcourt offense which we haven't seen yet. But again no excuse not to have one with the personnel we will have next year.

Everyone is free to interpret my comments how they like.

What am I saying is I dont think JJJ, Nowell, or LuRod are capable of running the 1.

I never said anything about adding a new PG or if DJ wasnt coming in 2023, which is why this topic came up in the first place
I still maintain we need to bring in another veteran PG and another 5.. Yes I know we have 1 scholarship left, so there is some trimming that can still be done to the roster to accomplish this. Never want to place all the stones in one basket...

Reactions: rebel5280
I still maintain we need to bring in another veteran PG and another 5.. Yes I know we have 1 scholarship left, so there is some trimming that can still be done to the roster to accomplish this. Never want to place all the stones in one basket...
I agree with both statements.

Everyone on this board would run me off if I said which player I wanted to trim off of this current roster to accomplish this lol

• Haha
Reactions: the Florian Trout
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT