ADVERTISEMENT

How do we feel about Muss to UNLV?

I’d be fine with it, personally. He wins. He was at UNR but he wasn’t a UNR-ite. It was a soft landing spot and a start for him. Allegiance to them was shit, just like Alford’s current allegiance to UNR is very poor. Neither liked UNR, it was an opportunity and a paycheck.

But Muss also has to be incredibly aware of how Mickey Mouse UNLV is. A lot of close ties with the program …. I think there was a time where it could have worked …. But he’s far surpassed UNLV.

I’d be fine with it, personally. He wins. He was at UNR but he wasn’t a UNR-ite. It was a soft landing spot and a start for him. Allegiance to them was shit, just like Alford’s current allegiance to UNR is very poor. Neither liked UNR, it was an opportunity and a paycheck.

But Muss also has to be incredibly aware of how Mickey Mouse UNLV is. A lot of close ties with the program …. I think there was a time where it could have worked …. But he’s far surpassed UNLV.
We know the Mickey Mouse operation it has been but with someone serious like Harper, maybe could convince Muss that we’re serious this time and that we need someone serious to lead the program.

the strength of Muss was always his ability to get transfers to gel. worked in Reno, worked for a time in Arkansas.. Would absolutely work in todays game in Vegas. Anyone concerned about a coach leaving in a year or 2 needs to look at what that means. Wed have been to the tournament and or won a conference title. Changes like that make the opening more excitable for the next guy. It means we dont need to be beggars for some coach to come in and save us from terrible decisions. The shear entertainment value in Reno fans crying about how they never liked Muss anyways would be worth it as well. I just want someone thats going to win, and do it fast. I dont care if they leave after 2 seasons.

Reactions: unlove and UNLVbro
It's interesting when there is discussion about coaches switching. What is going to keep coaches around? Certainly not getting to the final four. And before I get at the situation I'm talking about, I know that this year is an anomaly but...

If someone had told you in August that 3 of the four teams in the College Football Playoff at the end of the season would have different coaches next season, what would you have said?

Washington
Alabama
Michigan

Who can truly feel safe?

We know the Mickey Mouse operation it has been but with someone serious like Harper, maybe could convince Muss that we’re serious this time and that we need someone serious to lead the program.
I agree that may change things. It’s working with football obviously. But football was largely a blank slate. Yes, history was poor, the culture was terrible. But other than neglect, I don’t think there was much in way of outside control (booster impact) , expectations, lack of patience, etc. I think you get far more opinions, threats, etc - with a hoops hire. Just more moving parts and people watching every move.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It's interesting when there is discussion about coaches switching. What is going to keep coaches around? Certainly not getting to the final four. And before I get at the situation I'm talking about, I know that this year is an anomaly but...

If someone had told you in August that 3 of the four teams in the College Football Playoff at the end of the season would have different coaches next season, what would you have said?

Washington
Alabama
Michigan

Who can truly feel safe?
Soon we will have a portal for coaches.

Entirely different era and it’s largely defined by instability.

Soon we will have a portal for coaches.

Entirely different era and it’s largely defined by instability.
Unfortunately, there's probably gonna be a lot of programs. Big programs that are looking for a new head coach. We will end up having get one of them that are fired or get lucky with a mid major head coach..

No matter who the coach is, much of his success will depend on our NIL resources. He'll have to get PLAYERS.

C’mon Joe no one is good enough for UNLV!

I’m finding it a little petty that 6 straight NCAAT’s with 2 early outs and a S16 at UNR and a S16 and 2 Elite 8’s at Arkansas aren’t good enough because he’s having a bad season. I don’t know. We might be even be happy with those results, and he won the MWC in those three last seasons at UNR.

I think finding him “not good enough” is probably because he’s a flamboyant ass, not results or ability.

Muss could probably convince DTJ to stay and bring in an actual offense with shooters that can help DJ’s stat line.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I’m finding it a little petty that 6 straight NCAAT’s with 2 early outs and a S16 at UNR and a S16 and 2 Elite 8’s at Arkansas aren’t good enough because he’s having a bad season. I don’t know. We might be even be happy with those results, and he won the MWC in those three last seasons at UNR.

I think finding him “not good enough” is probably because he’s a flamboyant ass, not results or ability.
The SEC is deeper than usual this season. But even so, he is having a pretty down year.

He is a proven winner at this level. He did with temporary players well before that was en vogue. I didn't like it at the time since he had little carryover year to year, but that's college sports these days. At least he has more experience navigating that environment.

But he is an ass. He is actually kind of like Alford in that way. Plus he gets extra stink for being at Reno. Alford didn't need the extra Reno stink

We could do way worse.

No matter who the coach is, much of his success will depend on our NIL resources. He'll have to get PLAYERS.
Isn’t NIL … part of the ADs job, partly success … partly coaches ability to sell? NIL will never be strong with an empty Mack … that tells you the level of interest in the program, the more interest, the more raised money …. So … wouldn’t part of it be an exciting hire that moves the gate?

Muss has two recruits for Arkansas next year. SF and SG both around 6'7 and rated in 98 percentile. His problem this year is big men not playing well. Guard who left also left last season. Fans are behind him so is Calipari who says HOgs need to jell. Young team with similar results to Miss State last year. I don't think he is in trouble unless he can't find some big men to defend.

Nice discussion but I can’t imagine he’d leave the SEC to rejoin the MWC. Well, let me take that back, I can imagine a scenario. I see UNLV hoops much like UNLV football in that if you’re a quality coach you can consistently finish top 3 in MWC and just about guarantee a ticket to the dance every year. Now if the quality coach also doesn’t value making the most money he can possibly make as the single most important goal above all other goals, such a coach can turn UNLV (back) into a power program with a relatively easy (comparatively) path to the dance. Not a bad gig. Make a few mil a year, job security, live in a great city, dominate your conf and every year you have a shot to make a deep run in the Trny. Despite all of UNLV’s very poor decisions over the decades, the program still has incredible potential. Harp’s just gotta find the right fit, that’s the hard part.

If I were an experienced head coach with a track record I would follow the Alford model and wouldn’t even consider the UNLV job with out a 10 year contract. The fans. boosters and administration are too fickle.

Also, why would Muss be on the hot seat based on one year when the 3 prior years he took the Razorbacks to one sweet 16 and two elite 8’s? They would be foolish to fire him because the man can flat out coach.

Nice discussion but I can’t imagine he’d leave the SEC to rejoin the MWC. Well, let me take that back, I can imagine a scenario. I see UNLV hoops much like UNLV football in that if you’re a quality coach you can consistently finish top 3 in MWC and just about guarantee a ticket to the dance every year. Now if the quality coach also doesn’t value making the most money he can possibly make as the single most important goal above all other goals, such a coach can turn UNLV (back) into a power program with a relatively easy (comparatively) path to the dance. Not a bad gig. Make a few mil a year, job security, live in a great city, dominate your conf and every year you have a shot to make a deep run in the Trny. Despite all of UNLV’s very poor decisions over the decades, the program still has incredible potential. Harp’s just gotta find the right fit, that’s the hard part.
This!

This is the thought I have for both football and basketball, just need to find the coach!

Reactions: billd99s
If I were an experienced head coach with a track record I would follow the Alford model and wouldn’t even consider the UNLV job with out a 10 year contract. The fans. boosters and administration are too fickle.
If there were ”interest”, I’m betting he’d use UNLV in the Ben Howland/Mick Cronin model to advance his own agenda.

What about Pitino or Wright. Just about as much of a chance. Muss isn’t looking at the MWC after he finally escaped it. Now let’s talk about Rice again and what could have been.

Only if he takes his shirt off after every victorb
Arkansas is 1-6 in conference and ranked 13 spots below us in KenPom. Had one, and possibly two, starters quit two days ago.
we haven’t had anyone quit on our team yet.

If there were ”interest”, I’m betting he’d use UNLV in the Ben Howland/Mick Cronin model to advance his own agenda.
Quite possibly. Difference in that equation is Harp. I don’t know how savvy he is in this regard, but wasn’t he around to watch his boss let Cronin walk back on the private jet without signing the contract? Hoping his experience will guide him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT