ADVERTISEMENT

"Fans"

the Florian Trout

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 27, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
seems there are people a bit sad that Zimm chose UNLV. "i wouldn't have picked UNLV - terrible mistake - it's going to cost him - blah blah blah". the real bad thing is some of this is coming from "fans" of UNLV. you expect from Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, and Kansas, but not from "fans" of UNLV.

these losers hate Rice so much that they'd be happier to see UNLV go 11-20 without Zimm in order to bring in a big name coach. even though we couldn't. we'd end up with Noodles v 2.0 because yes, we still don't have loads of money.

wait and see how these dolts react if Wood opts to stay. "Final Four or Fire His Ass!!!" is my guess.

Reactions: GreedyGreg
???? Why not UNLV "fans?" Because we are so much better than UCLA, Kentucky, etc., fans? There are fans along the spectrum at every school. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so get over it. Does everyone on here hope we go to the tourney and at least get to a Sweet 16? Yes. But does everyone on here think it is going to happen? No. We all want to see us go 30-3 in the regular season, but with this staff, it just aint gonna happen. That is what you dont understand and fail to understand.

I don't think it does any good to attack people and insinuate that they are not real fans. Yes, there are people who strongly dislike rice and want to see him gone. I don't have a problem with that. They are entitled to their opinions. The facts are that rice has underachieved each season that he has been here at unlv. He has had some great wins, but overall with the talent he is bringing in, he hasn't hit the mark. On the flip side, you have people who are so gun-ho about keeping rice because of the recruiting that he is bringing in. Nothing wrong with that either.

I lean more towards rice needing to go. I want him to succeed more than anything. And I'm stoked that zimm picked unlv, and I'm hoping we can land Ike and NWG. The fact is, rice needs to produce when it counts, and that is in March. TKM and Rice have both stated that's where they want to be, obviously.

If wood does stay, my expectation for the team would be to finish 1-2 in the conference, win the MWC tourney, and get to the sweet 16. With that much talent, there really is no excuse as to why he shouldn't be able to do that with next years team. Yeah, it depends on match ups and stuff, but I don't want to see us losing to another low seed. It's embarrassing. And if rice can't achieve that, then I think TKM needs to really consider letting him go. The gray area for me would be if he made the tourney and won one game. But I would be okay with keeping him if that scenario played out.

You can spin it however you want, but it doesn't help to accuse people of not being true fans when the only thing is that they have a differing opinion from you.

My question is, what should happen if we don't make the NCAA tourney this next season? What if the team underachieves again? Do you think Rice should be let go?

This post was edited on 4/20 11:33 AM by Bleed_Red702

Originally posted by Bleed_Red702:
1) I don't think it does any good to attack people and insinuate that they are not real fans. Yes, there are people who strongly dislike rice and want to see him gone. I don't have a problem with that. They are entitled to their opinions....

I lean more towards rice needing to go. I want him to succeed more than anything. And I'm stoked that zimm picked unlv, and I'm hoping we can land Ike and NWG. The fact is, rice needs to produce when it counts, and that is in March.

If wood does stay, my expectation for the team would be to finish 1-2 in the conference, win the MWC tourney, and get to the sweet 16. With that much talent, there really is no excuse as to why he shouldn't be able to do that with next years team. Yeah, it depends on match ups and stuff, but I don't want to see us losing to another low seed. It's embarrassing. And if rice can't achieve that, then I think TKM needs to really consider letting him go. The gray area for me would be if he made the tourney and won one game. But I would be okay with keeping him if that scenario played out.

2) You can spin it however you want, but it doesn't help to accuse people of not being true fans when the only thing is that they have a differing opinion from you.

3) My question is, what should happen if we don't make the NCAA tourney this next season? What if the team underachieves again? Do you think Rice should be let go?
1) they are entitled to their opinions, as am i. what good does it do to "anti-Rice" every thread?
2) it's not the difference in opinions, it's the non-stop bashing that i'm attacking.

2a) it's completely okay that someone doesn't think Rice can't do it. depending on the day/game i am one of them. it's when every topic here, there, or conversation that ends up with a "Rice can't coach" that i have problems with. you know, the miserable losers who "spin" everything into a negative.

Zimm commits and the conversation (not from all) is "Rice better get to the Sweet 16", "Rice should bow to Zimm", "wonder how much he paid Zimm", etc....

3) if he underachieves again, i would have to lean towards letting him go, but it depends on what we would be getting. Rice is still very green, but getting better. i like the fact that expectations are high. under every other coach we never had expectations because we had average players.

some people say "if Fisher, Eustachy, or L Rice had the Rebels talent, they'd own the MWC". probably, but guess what, they don't.

if/when Rice catches up, it will be something special.

If we are giving opinions, then I reiterate what, in my opinion, should be the measurement of success and whether CDR is retained.

It has nothing to do with the results in the NCAA - it has EVERYTHING to do with conference finish: First or Second is the only acceptable finish. Anything else gets you the door (special caveat is finishing lower than 1 or 2 in conference in a 3 or more bid MWC league and a deep run into the Tourney).

We're going to have an extremely tough non-conference schedule, so I'm not too hung up on those results. NCAA games are an unpredictable matter (unless your Duke), so I think MWC finish is the best short-term measure.

Originally posted by MonsterJam:
If we are giving opinions, then I reiterate what, in my opinion, should be the measurement of success and whether CDR is retained.

It has nothing to do with the results in the NCAA - it has EVERYTHING to do with conference finish: First or Second is the only acceptable finish. Anything else gets you the door (special caveat is finishing lower than 1 or 2 in conference in a 3 or more bid MWC league and a deep run into the Tourney).

We're going to have an extremely tough non-conference schedule, so I'm not too hung up on those results. NCAA games are an unpredictable matter (unless your Duke), so I think MWC finish is the best short-term measure.
i agree with this. if we went 5-25 but got hot, won the league tournament, and won a game in the tournament...does that mean it was a good year? i don't. nice ending, but sucking for 2 months isn't okay.

I agree with that too, it is a very rational way to look at it. The way our fans react and behave, if we won 30 games and lost in the first round of the tourney they would want Rice gone.

I have been hearing this rational that calling some people not real fans does no good blah blah crap for awhile. Fact is, some people aren't. You can't say everybody hopes UNLV has this great record because you have no idea what everybody thinks. I guarantee some people actually want Rice to fail, and yes that does make them "not a real fan".
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Reactions: EFEX and GreedyGreg
Has anyone stated over here that they want rice to fail? I can only think of one guy who has said that and he was over on the MWC board. And there are a lot more anti rice people over there. But out of all those people, the majority want rice to succeed and would back him if he actually achieved what he should be.

And there isn't a constant bashing of rice. The only reason it seems like that is because this board is dead. There is really not much going on over here. You have a few people who post every now and then. And then to have a few people who post more often and just reiterate what they have been saying.

Why do you get so butt hurt when someone posts something negative about rice? I think rice is a hell of a recruiter. But for me, he hasn't shown he can be a great coach because he has underachieved every season. Plain and simple. I'm not saying that he can't be. But up to this point he hasn't shown it.

How long are you willing to wait around for him to produce the desired results? in my opinion this is the year. If he doesn't even make the NCAA tournament, then he should be fired for sure. But he should also have to win a minimum of a game there. You can't say that's not realistic with the team that he will have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT