ADVERTISEMENT

Support for McKie

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011
Evidently he deleted his social media pages overnight. Probably catching a ton of grief from people in the fandom.

However we can support the team, but him specifically (even though I don't think we look at the loss as "his fault"), we should make a point to show these guys support. Especially after something where they'll take blame on themselves. Hate to see a youngster beating himself up. Had Thomas's "fumble" or a maiava int been right in the closing window, they'd likely feel the same.

Not sure how we can specifically support a player short of NIL, any thoughts?

Nah, as someone highlighted. With compliments also comes criticism. Personal attacks are unnecessary. But UNLV had the chance to do something special last night and put themselves in the driver's seat for a championship. It appears the moment was too big. Players were tentative and kind of looking like we played well in the first half but what now? Honestly, I'm truly interested to see what the crowds will be for the last two home games. Some people are excited but most people I think are just of the mindset this is where UNLV should be and nothing more.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
I'm hoping he was getting ahead of vs reacting to some nonsense.

Stinks he should have to.
Hopefully.

You can’t avoid it, really, not across the masses - but I think it’s a bad idea during the season for all athletes.

We could “blame” a lot of individual plays. Sure, his stands out because of the timing and the ease of the play. But getting out scored 20 whatever to 0 in the third because of turnovers

The posts I saw after searching all came from profiles that appear to be sports bettors and not really Rebel fans... some really unhinged folks out there saying he should be investigated for that drop...

I really respect the way Odom handled the situation. A lot. Even in that he was poised, not over reactionary. I remember Huggins doing that in the NCAA tournament with a star player (injury). Gained a lot of respect from me.

Closer to home, Sunshine Smith missed a layup at the buzzer at the Mack and we lost to Hawaii, probably in 97, maybe 98. Bayno did the same exact thing on the court with Smith. It went a long way with me, tells me a lot about the character of a person. Sometimes things are measured, they’re fake, they’re for the cameras. In each instance, it was 100% reactionary, it was genuine ….

I agree with Coach Odom and how he handled things. That singular play didn’t decide the game. UNLV had 140-150 other plays. It sucks his was so crucial to the moment, but theres no reason to trash him. He’s still a young man trying to find his way in the world.

I really hope nobody went after him, but that is very wishful thinking unfortunately. I don’t condone that type of behavior at all, but if he were a professional, I’d understand it a little more. At the end of the day he is just a kid and an amateur. As they say, you win and lose as team. UNLV had tons go wrong and one could point to a number of different plays that cost them. I know some disagree (and that is perfectly fine), but I personally haven’t been thrilled with the play calling. Really feel that we’ve become very predictable. Better play calling would have given us a better chance to score the series before and it wouldn’t have come down to the play to begin with. Really hope he bounces back with a monster game, and I too did gain a lot of respect for Odom following the play.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I can (and do) get fleetingly mad at our Rebs when they do something silly, and it comes and goes in a few seconds or minutes….because these are 19-20 year old kids playing a sport….how one could personally go after a kid/young man because the fan “didn’t get their way” doesn’t compute with me… sick losers

There were definitely a lot of people that took personal shots at him. His Instagram was filled with comments from current UNLV students.

There were also some hate comments directed at a family member of Jayden Maiava on social media as well for his interception.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
There were definitely a lot of people that took personal shots at him. His Instagram was filled with comments from current UNLV students.

There were also some hate comments directed at a family member of Jayden Maiava on social media as well for his interception.
That's terrible. Yeah, it sucks that we lost, but it's not all on any one of them. Even if it was though, there's no reason to attack people personally. They're all out there doing their best, and sometimes, people make mistakes.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

It sucks but that’s the age we live in. The only way to stop it is to not pay attention to it, get off socials, etc.

Those people can be chastised, vilified, whatever … those types will pop back up.

… and then you’ll have the warfare of opposing fans posing … hell, the AFA could have (but didn’t) or any other team … have one of their fans posing as another teams fans throw snowballs to get unsportsmanlike penalties … common decency is gone, cheating is more pronounced but more hidden …

It sucks, but here we are …

Coach handled it perfectly. That one play happens in every game. Odunze from UW dropped one vs Stanford. On another one he let the db get body position on a corner fade. Odunze is from Henderson and a first rounder in the upcoming draft. Stuff happens and like Odom said that one play did not lose the game as it takes 11 to make it work on every down. On to the Lobo's and cold weather conditions.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT