ADVERTISEMENT

Face it - UNLV is improving

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
I keep reading about how a lot of people don't believe that Rice can coach and things are not getting better, but from what I have seen, they are improving quickly. The team was struggling to beat anyone at the beginning of the season, they were blown out by Stanford and Arizona State back a few weeks ago. UNLV improved to the point of beating a decent Portland program. UNLV was able to stay with a top 15 Utah program that almost beat Kansas even with a horrible offensive showing. Utah struggled on offense due to the defensive pressure UNLV put on them, UNLV struggled on offense due to missing a lot of free throws and poor shooting.

It is obvious that UNLV has put together a good defensive game, but still needs to work on an offense that struggles. With a team made up of almost all freshmen, a sophomore in Woods, and a senior in Doolin, you must expect it will take a good portion of the season to get the offense to play as a team. Now I am reading how UNLV has no chance to make the playoff without winning the conference tournament. Seriously, three loses and a team is already out of the playoffs? I guess only 1 or 2 teams will qualify for the tournament. If the team was not getting better, I would be concerned, but can you call a team bad that loses to a top 15 team by a dozen points? Based on that thinking, SDSU is also already out for the year.

There are two remaining possible marquee non-conf win. UA and @KU. UNLV currently has an RPI around 90. How do you propose they get an at-large bid without winning one, or maybe even both, of the big upcoming OOC games?

Portland is not a good team, they are KenPom rated 136. UNLV is KemPom rated 133 this morning and has not beaten any teams rated better than them. To date the Rebels have zero quality wins in OOC schedule. If they are improving they may want to get busy and show it on the court tomorrow night.

This post was edited on 12/22 1:09 PM by TomKingsley

The reason I think the conference tournament is the only realistic shot at making the NCAA Tournament isn't the 3 losses. It's how this team has looked. Clearly, this team isn't good. And I think the team is too young and not going to be good enough when conference play comes around.

I think I'm actually being optimistic. I'm hopeful that by the time the conference tournament comes around, this team will have improved enough that they might have a shot at winning that. Some will say that Rice can't coach so the team will not get better and that the season is over. I'm the optimist here.

I'd have to agree. The reason that the Utah game was so frustrating is because they were in it and could have won if not for a record low offensive performance. The defensive performance was remakable, especially in the first half. At one point late in the half I know Utah had 0 points in the paint. On the offensive side of things they had good looks but couldn't capitalize. I don't think it was the defense shutting them down, the rim just appeared to be greased. The offense is going to take a while regardless of whatever scheme Rice has and however hard he tries pound it into their heads. The main ingredient has and always will be time and experience with flow. 9 games isn't long enough for any team to a learn to be effective, let alone with 5 freshman in the rotation and one other who is just joining the program. Most people seemed to understand that before the season started but somehow they're under the impression that we are now in mid march.

fact = short of winning both of these upcoming "big" games and/or winning the conference tourny, we will NOT be dancing this year.

cant wait until next year once dave rice has all of his own players and can implement his system.

Yea prior to us playing Portland, the teams they had beat had a combined record of something like 13-40 something.

Agree UNLV seems to improving. But it is not going to be enough to get an at large without a miracle. Depending on how conference play goes, might not even be good enough for NIT again.

Originally posted by GoRebs2000:

fact = short of winning both of these upcoming "big" games and/or winning the conference tourny, we will NOT be dancing this year.

cant wait until next year once dave rice has all of his own players and can implement his system.

That wouldn't be a fact, it would be an opinion, one with which I agree.

Will be plenty of chances for wins against bubble teams/locks that the committee will look positively upon in conference play:
Sdsu
CSU
WYO
Boise St.

UNM-to an extent
Posted from Rivals Mobile

They don't have to beat Arizona and Kansas. One will do. Arizona is ripe for an upset. Last I checked the line was even though I expect that to change

Originally posted by WeMissYouShark:
Originally posted by GoRebs2000:

That wouldn't be a fact, it would be an opinion, one with which I agree.
I think splitting the KU and UA series and finishing 1st or 2nd in the conference could put us in the tournament. But I don't know if I see it happening.

Also, does anyone watch Vaughn and Wood and think that they look as though they're just phoning it in this year? A lot of the times, Wood especially, they look disinterested. Yeah the mock drafts have them going in the first round but if they think all they gotta do is show up and they'll be NBA-ready, they're in for a REALLY rude awakening.

I'd be interested to see the shot selection for and against. Seems like the Rebels give up a lot of Corner 3's, don't take enough of their own, and shoot a lot of long 2's. I'd like to see the stats and graphs to show it.

Anyone know how much Coach Rich is in to analytics? Would be interested to hear his views. To me anyone talking about effort and hustle is coach speak.

Actually, I think we are regressing...
Screen_Shot_2014_12_23_at_12_13_27_AM.png

An 8 man rotation with 5 highly talented freshman struggles early, then starts to figure it out about 10 games in.
That shouldn't surprise anybody.

If you're shocked by this, it's probably because you hate Dave Rice too much to admit that not only was rapid improvement possible with this group, it was likely.

Looking forward to seeing more positive steps. Last night was a huge win for the program. Go Rebs.

No one hates Coach Rice. Stop with the flame throwing. In a previous thread earlier this wekl I commented that there was no reason the team could not show improvement. Very happy with the team and coaching staff pulling off the huge win. Great win to build on for the upcoming conference schedule. Still lots of work to do on offense in the half court sets, but great effort on the boards against one of the best front lines in CBB. Dribble Doolin maybe better suited to playing the 2 with Pat at PG. Again it seemed the offense died when he had the rock. Coach Rice was brilliant to trust Pat in a critical 2nd half comeback. CDR took the bull by the horns in that situation. CW, RV, Pat, GO, DM, CDR, the Rebellion and the hone crowd all deserve huge kudos for the effort last night against a very good Arizona team.

This post was edited on 12/24 9:00 AM by TomKingsley

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
No one hates Coach Rice. Stop with the flame throwing.

Exactly. Everyone wants Rice and Co. to be successful. But many also don't want to be the delusional fans many complain about other fan bases being.

Great win last night by the team, and was wonderful seeing the energy in the T&M and fans having a legit reason to rush the floor and celebrate such a big win. Best win since beating UNC. Hopefully this win does as much for this team as beating UNC did.

RE: (Kruger's brother Fred) "If we beat SUU and Wyoming, but lose to Kansas, are we still improving?"

==> Yes - it would be improving if we beat Wyoming in Laramie. That will be a brutal travel schedule for the first time for this young team and a test of not looking past Wyo to KU.

Wyoming is 10-0 at home this year, including a 23-point blowout of Colorado and a win over NMSU. San Diego St has lost their last two trips there.

Since the 2011/12 season Wyoming is 54-15 at home. It will put the conference on notice if the RunninRebels go in there in win on New Years Eve.

Originally posted by BleedRebelRed90:
RE: (Kruger's brother Fred) "If we beat SUU and Wyoming, but lose to Kansas, are we still improving?"

==> Yes - it would be improving if we beat Wyoming in Laramie. That will be a brutal travel schedule for the first time for this young team and a test of not looking past Wyo to KU.

Wyoming is 10-0 at home this year, including a 23-point blowout of Colorado and a win over NMSU. San Diego St has lost their last two trips there.

Since the 2011/12 season Wyoming is 54-15 at home. It will put the conference on notice if the RunninRebels go in there in win on New Years Eve.
All road wins in conference play are good wins. And lets not stink up the T&M this year with any losses.

Funny how one win moves UNLV from only getting into the tournament if the win the conf. tournament, to being a bubble team. Most of the country can see that UNLV has improved from being a team that would be blown out be mid level Pac12 teams, to a team that can play with anyone in 1 month. That shows great coaching, and more important, that shows a team that is improving.

When the NCAA selection committee pick teams to get in, they look at those that are improving. Currently UNLV is in great shape to make the tournament and has a lot of big games coming up that can put them in better shape (SDSU, CSU, BSU, Kansas, Wyoming). If UNLV wins the SUU and Wyoming game and plays a good game verse Kansas (win or lose) they should be in the talk as a bubble team or better.

Call it what you want but there is people on here that turn every thread into a Rice sucks thread. All year I have criticized at times and defended at times. The people critical of Rice never have a decent thing to say.

You guys have become so preoccupied with not being the "delusional" fans that you don't even make sense anymore.

Anybody should be able to find SOMETHING nice to say about the guy and if you don't then YOU are the one that is delusional.

I've been critical/skeptical of Rice myself, but if I believed some of the stuff I've seen people say about him here, then I absolutely would hate him. It's really hard for me to believe that nobody hates him, and I don't think that's unusual btw because when I read comments on other forums, I find that a lot of fans hate their coach. That's even more true of fans that root for bad teams. Those head coaches get even more criticism.

Originally posted by Rebel1986:

Funny how one win moves UNLV from only getting into the tournament if the win the conf. tournament, to being a bubble team. Most of the country can see that UNLV has improved from being a team that would be blown out be mid level Pac12 teams, to a team that can play with anyone in 1 month. That shows great coaching, and more important, that shows a team that is improving.

When the NCAA selection committee pick teams to get in, they look at those that are improving. Currently UNLV is in great shape to make the tournament and has a lot of big games coming up that can put them in better shape (SDSU, CSU, BSU, Kansas, Wyoming). If UNLV wins the SUU and Wyoming game and plays a good game verse Kansas (win or lose) they should be in the talk as a bubble team or better.
Currently, we are NOT in great shape to make the tournament unless you are referring to the MWC tournament. We have one quality win and a bunch of wins against bottom 1/3rd of teams where we barely got by.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
Call it what you want but there is people on here that turn every thread into a Rice sucks thread. All year I have criticized at times and defended at times. The people critical of Rice never have a decent thing to say.

You guys have become so preoccupied with not being the "delusional" fans that you don't even make sense anymore.

Anybody should be able to find SOMETHING nice to say about the guy and if you don't then YOU are the one that is delusional.
We are talking about something completely different and you have to bring this topic up again. You always blame others for making threads into anti-Rice threads but you are the one throwing gas on the fire...give it a rest.

Rice is a great person...there is something nice about the guy.

I am responding to a post with another post. I didn't start anything.

If you don't like being called out for what you do then don't do it.

This isn't a Wyoming team missing multiple starters like the one we routed in Laramie 2 years ago. They're an experienced team whose five starters are all at least 20 years and older, they're 11-2 with losses to SMU in Dallas and Cal in Berkeley. Oh and they play in an arena that's 7,500 above the California coastline. That makes a difference too. If UNLV goes into Laramie and wins that game, it's a big deal. Kansas might be a better match up for us.

No one hates Coach Rice. Stop with the flame throwing.
You may not, but then, I wasn't talking about you. I happen to believe some here take more joy in ripping a coach they hate after a loss than celebrating him after a win.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I'll "throw flames" at whatever I feel like. If you don't like it, don't respond.

Ms 702, Merry Christmas, hate is a powerful word. I have seen no post that would bring a poster to that level. If you want to throw around that word, anonymously, on a internet board be ready to be challenge.. If you think being critical of Coach Rice is hate on a internet posting board - get real.To all the pro-Rice posters - thank you for your opinion and your willingness to share it. To all the posters who challenge the coaching staff and direction of the program - thank you for your opinion and the willingness to share it. Thank everyone that cares enough to be emotional vested in the program.

Go Rebels!

Mjs_702 posted on 12/24/2014...

If you're shocked by this, it's probably because you hate Dave Rice too

Wow, Forum mods must be HATE Coach Rice:
mboard06_newsicon.gif
Rebels pull off shocker

Had no idea T.E. Parker hated Coach Rice. .

This post was edited on 12/24 4:49 PM by TomKingsley

So you don't understand the concept that some people, even after a great win, still have nothing nice to say about the guy?

You try and break it down all simple and act like if you are critical of Rice you are thought to hate him. It has been made very clear that isn't the case. Everybody should be able to see both ways.

UNLV only has one quality win? Don't tell that to Kansas, they may not agree with you!

P.S. UNLV has a strength of schedule of #17 and an RPI of #33. If they win verse SUU and Wyoming, they will go into a game against Kansas who have a #2 RPI most likely with a top #25 RPI and quality wins verse Temple and Arizona.
This post was edited on 12/24 5:34 PM by Rebel1986

Originally posted by rebelluver:
So you don't understand the concept that some people, even after a great win, still have nothing nice to say about the guy?

You try and break it down all simple and act like if you are critical of Rice you are thought to hate him. It has been made very clear that isn't the case. Everybody should be able to see both ways.
Clearly he does not.

Ms 702, Merry Christmas, hate is a powerful word. I have seen no post that would bring a poster to that level. If you want to throw around that word, anonymously, on a internet board be ready to be challenge.. If you think being critical of Coach Rice is hate on a internet posting board - get real.To all the pro-Rice posters - thank you for your opinion and your willingness to share it. To all the posters who challenge the coaching staff and direction of the program - thank you for your opinion and the willingness to share it. Thank everyone that cares enough to be emotional vested in the program.

Go Rebels!
Then you haven't been looking hard enough- they're there. And once again, since you didn't hear me in my last post, I wasn't talking to you, so try not to take these things so personally. Merry Christmas.

For the umpteenth time, being critical of a coach isn't a crime. Intentionally being a Dbag and ONLY spouting negative (often false) garbage is another story. Its kinda like when blatantly political guy claims to be objective- then proceeds to rip one side or the other with their next 10 comments. I see nobody here incapable of criticizing Rice, but there sure are some who'd rather die than say something positive about the guy,

You keep on believing you're doing everyone a favor with your "constructive criticism" Tom, I could care less. But stop defending every negative poster on this board as sharing your good intentions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT