ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Jones ineligible to play!

If you say Pitino is a cheater and you don't want him here because of that.... Were you cheering for Tark's teams when Tark was here? Did you want him gone? Did you not go to games because of accusations? Was your stance this adamant back then?

I'm not saying you should cheat because everyone else does. You inferred that somehow even though I didn't go close to making that statement.

Makes no sense to me that you could support one and demonize the other.
As I said, I supported the Runnin Rebels but never condoned cheating or a win at all cost attitude. My point is, we know Pitino is trouble with the NCAA, so why bring the heat to UNLV. It is sad that I have to explain why I don't like cheating.

You don't have to explain why you hate cheating. You have to explain why Tark gets a pass and Pitino is a piece of crap in your mind.

They are very similar men and your feelings about them couldn't be more opposite.

You don't have to explain why you hate cheating. You have to explain why Tark gets a pass and Pitino is a piece of crap in your mind.

They are very similar men and your feelings about them couldn't be more opposite.
Basically.

Unless I'm interpreting her posts wrong, it sounds like she hates Pitino with a passion. Sounds like she won't support the Rebels because he's such a bad person, a cheater, etc.

But she celebrated Tark.

Makes no sense.

It's like chastising drunks while snorting cocaine.

When did I ever say Tark got a pass? Tark had a clean record when he was hired, meaning the NCAA said there would be no ramifications to UNLV from the Long Beach State case, if they hired Tark. What he may have done after was still unacceptable to me. We know Pitino is in BIG trouble with the NCAA so why hire him and bring that trouble to UNLV and our players. They may suffer for what happened at Louisville like the 1990-91 players suffered for what happened at Long Beach State.

Last edited:
Basically.

Unless I'm interpreting her posts wrong, it sounds like she hates Pitino with a passion. Sounds like she won't support the Rebels because he's such a bad person, a cheater, etc.

But she celebrated Tark.

Makes no sense.

It's like chastising drunks while snorting cocaine.

You are "interpreting" my words wrong. I don't hate Pitino, I am concerned with what will happen to UNLV if we hire him. What the NCAA will do to our program for what he did wrong at Louisville. How hard is that to understand? I am a UNLV Alumna and have had season tickets for over 25 years, so of course I will continue to support my school and their teams. My preference is that they look elsewhere than Pitino for a coach. My opinion, everyone's opinions, here doesn't matter. It is up to the few rich boosters and who they want, so all this discussion is really mute anyway.

You are "interpreting" my words wrong. I don't hate Pitino, I am concerned with what will happen to UNLV if we hire him. What the NCAA will do to our program for what he did wrong at Louisville. How hard is that to understand? I am a UNLV Alumna and have had season tickets for over 25 years, so of course I will continue to support my school and their teams. My preference is that they look elsewhere than Pitino for a coach. My opinion, everyone's opinions, here doesn't matter. It is up to the few rich boosters and who they want, so all this discussion is really mute anyway.
If your concern is "what will happen to UNLV if they hire him" was your concern 25 years ago "what will happen to UNLV if they continue to employ him?"

When did I ever say Tark got a pass? Tark had a clean record when he was hired. What he may have done after was still unacceptable to me. We know Pitino is in BIG trouble with the NCAA so why hire him and bring that trouble to UNLV and our players. They may suffer for what happened at Louisville like the 1990-91 players suffered for what happened at Long Beach State.
Tark had a clean record when he was hired here? You mean the LBSU investigation/findings never happened?

Tark was being (unfairly) hunted before he landed at UNLV....

Tark had a clean record when he was hired here? You mean the LBSU investigation/findings never happened?

Tark was being (unfairly) hunted before he landed at UNLV....

he was cleared by the NCAA when UNLV hired him which was a part of the basis for why they won the law suit. You just made my point, have we learned nothing from that?

If your concern is "what will happen to UNLV if they hire him" was your concern 25 years ago "what will happen to UNLV if they continue to employ him?"

c'mon. Your saying because I have been a loyal fan and supported UNLV for all these years that I condoned cheating by UNLV. How many times do I have to say this? Don't hire someone who is gonna bring the NCAA shit storm with him to UNLV. I'm done.

I couldn't care much less about the cheating/not cheating/allegations/witch hunts. They can happen at any time, any non-P5 place, with any coach if the NCAA wants it.

But, sorry, can't help but find it extremely hypocritical to stand up/accept/celebrate/tolerate one man while tearing down the other and then casting it as "I'm worried for the university"... Unless you were helping to plant cameras or you were one of Maxson's henchmen back in the 80's.... Then it's not hypocritical.

I couldn't care much less about the cheating/not cheating/allegations/witch hunts. They can happen at any time, any non-P5 place, with any coach if the NCAA wants it.

But, sorry, can't help but find it extremely hypocritical to stand up/accept/celebrate/tolerate one man while tearing down the other and then casting it as "I'm worried for the university"... Unless you were helping to plant cameras or you were one of Maxson's henchmen back in the 80's.... Then it's not hypocritical.

Back in the 90's, i was young and naive. I didn't know or believe UNLV and Tark were guilty of rule violations. To look back now, had I known, I would have been conflicted for sure.I do remember I was really bothered that UNLV players in 1990/91 were being punished for something that happened at another college and before most of them were even born. I'd hate to see that happen to players now and in the future. As for Maxson, I never liked him, not because of Tark but because of the way he treated several student organizations I was active in. If you want me to say I liked Tark and dislike Pitino, fine that doesn't make me a hypocrit.

If you want me to say I liked Tark and dislike Pitino, fine that doesn't make me a hypocrit.

That's COMPLETELY hypocritical! The circumstances with Coach Tark and Pitino are nearly identical. You're basically the text-book definition of a hypocrite. Any reasonable person without any biased feeling toward either Tarkanian or Pitino would see how very wrong your are.

If we could go back in time, I doubt any of us would give up hiring Coach Tark and pass on our national championship title. IMO, the Tarkanian hire was the BEST thing that could have ever happened to UNLV--even with the NCAA investigations. We were the hottest thing in college basketball at the time. You'd have to be absolutely CRAZY to give all that up just to save players from the "grief" and "trouble" that was associated with it. If Pitino is even half the coach Tarkanian was, I'll take him in a heartbeat!

That's COMPLETELY hypocritical! The circumstances with Coach Tark and Pitino are nearly identical. You're basically the text-book definition of a hypocrite. Any reasonable person without any biased feeling toward either Tarkanian or Pitino would see how very wrong your are.

If we could go back in time, I doubt any of us would give up hiring Coach Tark and pass on our national championship title. IMO, the Tarkanian hire was the BEST thing that could have ever happened to UNLV--even with the NCAA investigations. We were the hottest thing in college basketball at the time. You'd have to be absolutely CRAZY to give all that up just to save players from the "grief" and "trouble" that was associated with it. If Pitino is even half the coach Tarkanian was, I'll take him in a heartbeat!

whatever. SO all of you who are parents are teaching your children it's ok to cheat as long as they win, right? You don't care until it is your child that gets cheated. Got it. This is so twisted. sorry, not jumping on the win at all cost bandwagon.

Last edited:
whateve

whatever. SO all of you who are parents are teaching your children it's ok to cheat as long as they win, right? You don't care until it is your child that gets cheated. Got it. This is so twisted. sorry, not jumping on the win at all cost bandwagon.
So you're admitting that you don't like Pitino because he cheated yet you said earlier that you didn't say that.. Good thing that's not hypocritical.

The NCAA and many others were "convinced" that Tarkanian had cheated too... so much for that argument girl.

So you're admitting that you don't like Pitino because he cheated yet you said earlier that you didn't say that.. Good thing that's not hypocritical.

it was said that I didn't like Pitino because he cheated on his wife.I never said THAT. I don't like Pitino because he is under investigation by the NCAA for rule violations which must have some foundation because the President of the university put them on a self imposed post season play ban in anticipation of the NCAA investigation.

so? what does that have to do with not wanting to hire another coach under NCAA investigation having seen what it put UNLV thru?

What did it put UNLV through? It gave UNLV an elite coach, some final fours, and a national championship title! If that the outcome, I think I'm willing to risk it.

This discussion is really quite enlightening. This will be a big decision for Jessup. Does he want to be known for hiring a disgraced basketball coach to appease some b-ball fans or supposed boosters? Or is he really interested in making unlv a tier one university?

To be honest, I find this all fascinating. Also it makes me even happier to be retired than I was before this disaster of a season started. I abhor cheating but I love winning. The question has always been: is the latter possible without the former? And I REALLY do not know!!

But there is no doubt that the circus is in town.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
This discussion is really quite enlightening. This will be a big decision for Jessup. Does he want to be known for hiring a disgraced basketball coach to appease some b-ball fans or supposed boosters? Or is he really interested in making unlv a tier one university?

To be honest, I find this all fascinating. Also it makes me even happier to be retired than I was before this disaster of a season started. I abhor cheating but I love winning. The question has always been: is the latter possible without the former? And I REALLY do not know!!

The problem here is that you are insinuating that there are only two possible outcomes:

1. Pitino is hired, causes trouble with NCAA, and Jessup goes down in history as the President who hired the disgraced basketball coach. Or,

2. UNLV stays clear of Pitino and becomes a Tier one university.

These two issues are not mutually exclusive. Consider this scenario: UNLV hires Pitino and takes the basketball program to new heights, possibly final four or national championship. The billion dollar football stadium gets built and football starts to prosper as well. With a new Medical school, decent law school, and world class hospitality program, UNLV is sitting pretty. There's no reason not to think we could easily get Tier 1 status AND have an elite basketball program. If that's the case, I could see UNLV being invited to a better conference. Having an elite coach makes our case that much stronger.

Everybody is assuming that hiring Pitino is absolutely 100% going to lead UNLV into trouble with the NCAA. I don't think that's the case! If anything, hiring Pitino will help UNLV be very successful--and not just for the sake of the basketball program or its fans.

A "disgraced" basketball coach. And if he hires him and there are no issues - as has been the case the vast majority of RP's career - and he does his thing..... Hmmm, think a prez might ok with that? You look at it as appeasing boosters or fans only because it doesn't fall in perfect line with academia. It doesn't have to be about appeasing anything. Why can't it about trying to be the best program you could be???? You automatically jump a chasm.

I think there are a few good candidates on the menu and I'd be happy with them, including Pitino. In the end, I'm still not buying into the ability to land a Pitino by way of the current resources.

The problem here is that you are insinuating that there are only two possible outcomes:

1. Pitino is hired, causes trouble with NCAA, and Jessup goes down in history as the President who hired the disgraced basketball coach. Or,

2. UNLV stays clear of Pitino and becomes a Tier one university.

These two issues are not mutually exclusive. Consider this scenario: UNLV hires Pitino and takes the basketball program to new heights, possibly final four or national championship. The billion dollar football stadium gets built and football starts to prosper as well. With a new Medical school, decent law school, and world class hospitality program, UNLV is sitting pretty. There's no reason not to think we could easily get Tier 1 status AND have an elite basketball program. If that's the case, I could see UNLV being invited to a better conference. Having an elite coach makes our case that much stronger.

Everybody is assuming that hiring Pitino is absolutely 100% going to lead UNLV into trouble with the NCAA. I don't think that's the case! If anything, hiring Pitino will help UNLV be very successful--and not just for the sake of the basketball program or its fans.
Thank you. Painting black or white is very close minded.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I hear what you're saying Chi -girl about not wanting a guy under the NCAA lamp but here's the reality: It's a BIG NAME or BUST for UNLV at this point, we're 4th and inches away from becoming DePaul.

I hear what you're saying Chi -girl about not wanting a guy under the NCAA lamp but here's the reality: It's a BIG NAME or BUST for UNLV at this point, we're 4th and inches away from becoming DePaul.

I totally agree, but there are plenty of big name coaches out there not under investigation by the NCAA. Why people here are so obsessed with Pitino is beyond me.

I totally agree, but there are plenty of big name coaches out there not under investigation by the NCAA. Why people here are so obsessed with Pitino is beyond me.
Probably because the risk of not winning at a high level is low.

Agreed that he's high risk, high reward. I think many people are ok with that given the history of the past 20+ years. I don't think you can blame people for that. I surely can see both sides of the argument but at this point, I'd be more than happy with RP.

There are no-risk and low-risk, pretty high reward guys on the docket, it's safer, might be smarter. But you might not reach the same heights. I don't have a problem with that either.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Chi girl, I'm not getting into the Pitino thing here, but let's get the history straight.

During his tenure at Long Beach, Tark penned a column about the NCAA's selective rules enforcement. That brought the NCAA enforcement police after him there. As he moved to UNLV, the NCAA put LBSU on probation. Angry that he had left, they moved over to begin investigating him.

Indeed, some of the first "violations" at UNLV occurred when John Bayer was coach. I will not re-litigate the 1972-1977 investigation. (6 years, you read that right.) The lawsuit, etc. has been well publicized.

My point is, the NCAA was after Tark well before he came here to coach. Read my handle. I'm old, but I remember it well.

Fans are starved for a winner, Pitino has been a winner at the college level. He is a HoF coach.

I totally understand people having reservations with Pitino after getting burned in the past.

Unlike Calipari, Pitino to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) hasn't had to forfeit any wins or rip down banners. He had one brush with the NCAA as an assistant at Hawaii. That may change after the smoke clears with the current investigation. Until then I will presume he is innocent of any wrong doing in the scandal at Louisville. Whether I think he knew or was part of it is irrelevant.

He is not a douche. Alford is a douche. Pitino is really quite classy. He would be a great fit for Vegas. Please do not bring up indiscretions with mistresses as banal evidence that he is not. That has been going on for ages. Heads of state, dignitaries, royalty- it's practically a rite of passage for them. In America, the type of success Pitino has had coaching makes him nearly royalty. It's easy to see how a situation like that could unfold. The Pitino family handled that situation with class and are good people in my humble opinion.

As for the allegations, we don't know what happened. It's all speculation as to what he did or did not know or suspect. At the very least it becomes very hard to prove he knew anything at all. I would be proud to have a man like Pitino coaching at UNLV. Let scoffers scoff and be damned.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot to add other than the fact that it seems every time a specific poster throws her two cents into a thread, a flame war erupts. I'm not gonna name names though...

When did this shit turn into a conversation that RP cheated? I will be L'ingMAO when the investigation returns and states he had no knowledge whatsoever. Heat fine, brining a microscope, again, fine, but judging character based on an incomplete investigation when you are talking about a top 5 coach's potential to land here is ludicrous.

...and why is this on a DJ thread?? Take this to one of the thousand coaching threads.

LOSING TO SDST LIKE THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! I dont care if this whole team transfers. Finishing 7th again and getting whomped by SDST is disgusting.

I hope after we lose to Air Force that Rick Pitino is announced as coach and then maybe we can get 5 years of stink off us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT