ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Jones ineligible to play!

jay_dela

6th man
Dec 19, 2014
"Derrick jones has been ruled ineligible to participate in further competition after ACT Testing cancelled his ACT score.
Jones was previously declared eligible to play by the NCAA in the fall, and he had appeared in every game for the Rebels this season."

I can't believe this. This season has got to have more drama than any other season I can imagine.

1. Goodluck walks
2. Fire Coach
3. Carter injured
4. Zimm Injured
5. Seagers Injured (but plays through(
6. Morgan gets hurt in practice
7. Jones gets his ACT cancelled --- a year later?!?!?!?!?

Well, what next, seriously.

Reactions: BleedRebelRed
I can't believe this. This season has got to have more drama than any other season I can imagine.

1. Goodluck walks
2. Fire Coach
3. Carter injured
4. Zimm Injured
5. Seagers Injured (but plays through(
6. Morgan gets hurt in practice
7. Jones gets his ACT cancelled --- a year later?!?!?!?!?

Well, what next, seriously.
Maybe we have to hit rock bottom to reach to the top

"Derrick jones has been ruled ineligible to participate in further competition after ACT Testing cancelled his ACT score.
Jones was previously declared eligible to play by the NCAA in the fall, and he had appeared in every game for the Rebels this season."

The NCAA must be really mad at North Carolina.

"CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Bogus classes and automatic A's and B's are at the heart of a cheating scandal at the University of North Carolina that lasted nearly two decades, encompassing about 3,100 students -- nearly half of them athletes.

At least nine university employees were fired or under disciplinary review, and the question now becomes what, if anything, the NCAA will do next. Penalties could range from fewer scholarships to vacated wins."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/2...andal-included-athletes-fake-classes-and.html

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."
Jerry Tarkanian

Ridiculous... They singled out Jones. The up and coming star freshman for the Rebs. He had no other test score to compare it to. Not like Jones took the test once and failed badly then all of a sudden scored 10 times higher on the next try. No probable cause what so ever to single him out and investigate his test score. I hope Jones sues the NCAA and wins just like Tark did.

I'm sure it has something to do with scaring off any potential power house coaches as well.

Jones - good grades in high school
Jones - Honor roll at UNLV
Jones - Passing ACT while meeting required standards
NCAA - maybe you should look into the ACT scores of player

"The NCAA Eligibility Center cleared Jones before the team's first game against Cal Poly back in November."
"Jackson said the center requested that the ACT look into the test scores of several athletes at the test site in Baltimore." Hint Hint -Why? A good student passed so why did they ask the ACT to look at scores?

"Jones, who said he currently has a 3.25 GPA at UNLV, said he has never spoken to anyone from the ACT or the NCAA throughout the entire process. He said he called the ACT after finding out he was ineligible in an attempt to gain more clarity."

Why would the ACT flag a score and accuse a test taker of cheating (rejecting a test score is the same as an accusation) without even talking to them? Do they do the same on all Ivy league students with lawyers as parents? What grounds did they have to reject his score?

"I took two prep classes before I took the ACT," Jones said. "I took the test. It was me. I didn't cheat. I didn't do anything wrong. I just don't understand it."

With a student who did fine in high school, is on the Honor roll at UNLV, and took prep classes (most students do not go that far), what reason does the NCAA and the ACT have to believe he cheated?

"NCAA red-flagged Jones about eight months ago and offered three possibilities: retaking the test, going to arbitration or throwing out the test score completely."

It is obvious the NCAA is accusing Jones of cheating, by telling him to retake the test, arbitration, or throwing out the score. This would mean a student who is on the honor roll should go back and retake a test from when he was in high school. This also means he would be required to either retake the test or pay for arbitration.

"Jackson said Jones "was provided with three options: (1) voluntarily cancel his test score, (2) re-take the test or (3) submit his case to binding arbitration" and would have to pay a $200 filing fee."

Why would any student agree to retake a test? Why would any kid or their parent agree to pay MONEY to go to binding arbitration? Why would they need arbitration if they believed he cheated?

My son just took his ACT in the last couple of days, and if the NCAA, whatever school he applies to, or the ACT company accused him of cheating, my first thought would be going to court, and the second thought would be to cut off the balls of the person that accused my son of cheating.

Jones - good grades in high school
Jones - Honor roll at UNLV
Jones - Passing ACT while meeting required standards
NCAA - maybe you should look into the ACT scores of player

"The NCAA Eligibility Center cleared Jones before the team's first game against Cal Poly back in November."
"Jackson said the center requested that the ACT look into the test scores of several athletes at the test site in Baltimore." Hint Hint -Why? A good student passed so why did they ask the ACT to look at scores?

"Jones, who said he currently has a 3.25 GPA at UNLV, said he has never spoken to anyone from the ACT or the NCAA throughout the entire process. He said he called the ACT after finding out he was ineligible in an attempt to gain more clarity."

Why would the ACT flag a score and accuse a test taker of cheating (rejecting a test score is the same as an accusation) without even talking to them? Do they do the same on all Ivy league students with lawyers as parents? What grounds did they have to reject his score?

"I took two prep classes before I took the ACT," Jones said. "I took the test. It was me. I didn't cheat. I didn't do anything wrong. I just don't understand it."

With a student who did fine in high school, is on the Honor roll at UNLV, and took prep classes (most students do not go that far), what reason does the NCAA and the ACT have to believe he cheated?

"NCAA red-flagged Jones about eight months ago and offered three possibilities: retaking the test, going to arbitration or throwing out the test score completely."

It is obvious the NCAA is accusing Jones of cheating, by telling him to retake the test, arbitration, or throwing out the score. This would mean a student who is on the honor roll should go back and retake a test from when he was in high school. This also means he would be required to either retake the test or pay for arbitration.

"Jackson said Jones "was provided with three options: (1) voluntarily cancel his test score, (2) re-take the test or (3) submit his case to binding arbitration" and would have to pay a $200 filing fee."

Why would any student agree to retake a test? Why would any kid or their parent agree to pay MONEY to go to binding arbitration? Why would they need arbitration if they believed he cheated?

My son just took his ACT in the last couple of days, and if the NCAA, whatever school he applies to, or the ACT company accused him of cheating, my first thought would be going to court, and the second thought would be to cut off the balls of the person that accused my son of cheating.

If all this is true, then this is bull crap. I am just flabbergasted. Is there anything we can do to help him?

Write to NCAA? Sign a petition? We probably need to do some research and find out options.

It's looking like when Lon was here and things were cruising along and we were winning 20+ games a year, meanwhile we were bitching and whining about that being the ceiling.. That Lon Kruger capped out, hit his peak, couldn't do any better.

Well that ceiling of rankings (only being ranked between the top 15-25), getting to the NCAA tournament, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the MWC is looking pretty damn good these days.

This basketball program and the admin that runs it is a freaking disastrous clusterf**k.

Reactions: UNLVAlumni
3.25 GPA at UNLV ..... it shouldn't matter what his ACT is/was. And wait until just before the final game of the season for this to come out? They couldn't wait 2-3 more weeks? And if he had anything above a 2.5 in HS, there is no need to challenge his ACT scores. And he is doing well grade wise at UNLV.

Can boosters or the school pay for this kids lawyer? Sure that is "against" NCAA policy to help a kid out.

This sounds like a huge load of shit.

so, 6-8 athletes that tested at this facility on the same day had their scores looked in to. all but dj were deemed ineligible immediately. his lawyer is saying that part of the reason for the timing is because the schools that lost those athletes started crying foul. they have no evidence that his score was manipulated. basically, he did better on the test than his high school GPA would have expected. this whole story doesnt make any sense unless a certain billion dollar organization is looking to deal with only one lawsuit, instead of 6-8 lawsuits. he took the test once, passed, and now they are canceling his score without releasing any information that would prove dj's test results were manipulated? something smells.

Reactions: RebelScrub
No surprise here, but Graney's new article on the RJ website is insinuating that there is some reason to question the validity of the test. He said Jones drove two hours away to take the test instead of taking it in his hometown.

It still sounds like the NCAA is doing this without any real evidence of wrong doing, but my initial reaction is that we have seen the last of him in a UNLV uniform.

At this point, anything but a Pitino hire would seem like things are going to continue to get worse before they get better.

What a friggin year. This is unbelievable.

No surprise here, but Graney's new article on the RJ website is insinuating that there is some reason to question the validity of the test. He said Jones drove two hours away to take the test instead of taking it in his hometown.

It still sounds like the NCAA is doing this without any real evidence of wrong doing, but my initial reaction is that we have seen the last of him in a UNLV uniform.

At this point, anything but a Pitino hire would seem like things are going to continue to get worse before they get better.

What a friggin year. This is unbelievable.

So the NCAA has now served notice that UNLV is on it's radar again and you still think it is a good idea to hire a coach that will only leave Louisville because he is either being asked to step down or because he is running away from the sh*t storm he likely created there. Gee didn't Tark leave Long Beach with the NCAA's blessing after they were found guilty of major violations only to bring the target with him to UNLV ? UNLV needs to stay away from any coach that has major NCAA violations under his watch.

So the NCAA has now served notice that UNLV is on it's radar again and you still think it is a good idea to hire a coach that will only leave Louisville because he is either being asked to step down or because he is running away from the sh*t storm he likely created there. Gee didn't Tark leave Long Beach with the NCAA's blessing after they were found guilty of major violations only to bring the target with him to UNLV ? UNLV needs to stay away from any coach that has major NCAA violations under his watch.

Disallowing Jones' test results has nothing to do with UNLV.

I am not sure why you are so dead set on your opinion that Pitino will bring trouble.

Would you take Calipari? He has had two final fours erased because of violations.

Even if, worst case scenario, we did have some violations after about 4 or 5 years with Rick at the helm, most likely those 4 or 5 years would put us back on the map and no longer a forgotten team in a mid major conference.

I am not conceding we would have sanctions imposed, in fact I feel pretty sure we wouldn't. There is no way he would allow anything like that to happen here if Louisville ends up taking a beating and he ends up here.

DO NOT EVER CLICK on a Ed Graney news story. Refuse to read it. No matter how much it pisses you off just ignore it. That is his whole angle. He knows we love our Rebels and the only way this hack writer can get attention is by going about it the wrong way. Boycott his articles and do not read them EVER !!!

Follow me on twitter........

DO NOT EVER CLICK on a Ed Graney news story. Refuse to read it. No matter how much it pisses you off just ignore it. That is his whole angle. He knows we love our Rebels and the only way this hack writer can get attention is by going about it the wrong way. Boycott his articles and do not read them EVER !!!

Follow me on twitter........

I hate the guy with a passion as well. When it comes to the Rebels I want all of the information I can get. I can't help it.

It sounds like you will use any excuse to bash Pitino. Using this same logic, UNLV should have never hired Tarkanian after Long Beach State either then. Can you imagine a UNLV without the Tarkanian legacy? I wouldn't give that up for anything.

Disallowing Jones' test results has nothing to do with UNLV.

I am not sure why you are so dead set on your opinion that Pitino will bring trouble.

Would you take Calipari? He has had two final fours erased because of violations.

Even if, worst case scenario, we did have some violations after about 4 or 5 years with Rick at the helm, most likely those 4 or 5 years would put us back on the map and no longer a forgotten team in a mid major conference.

I am not conceding we would have sanctions imposed, in fact I feel pretty sure we wouldn't. There is no way he would allow anything like that to happen here if Louisville ends up taking a beating and he ends up here.

How can you say disallowing Jones had nothing to do with UNLV.? The NCAA has had UNLV under a microscope for years ever since Tark beat them in court.

Why am I so dead set against Pitino? Because we would be hiring a coach in the middle of an NCAA investigation which he probably caused. Why bring trouble to UNLV? If Pitino is such a great coach, why would Louisville let him go unless he has become more of a liability than an asset. If he has gotten them into trouble, they would want UNLV to take him and his multi million dollar contract off their hands. I don't understand why so many here want to bring the NCAA plague that will come with him. Doesn't anybody here remember what happened to UNLV in the 90's having to fight in court just to play in the 1991 tournament? All the NCAA crap? Why bring that back when we can get a good coach with a solid record and no NCAA trouble?

How can you say disallowing Jones had nothing to do with UNLV.? The NCAA has had UNLV under a microscope for years ever since Tark beat them in court.

Why am I so dead set against Pitino? Because we would be hiring a coach in the middle of an NCAA investigation which he probably caused. Why bring trouble to UNLV? If Pitino is such a great coach, why would Louisville let him go unless he has become more of a liability than an asset. If he has gotten them into trouble, they would want UNLV to take him and his multi million dollar contract off their hands. I don't understand why so many here want to bring the NCAA plague that will come with him. Doesn't anybody here remember what happened to UNLV in the 90's having to fight in court just to play in the 1991 tournament? All the NCAA crap? Why bring that back when we can get a good coach with a solid record and no NCAA trouble?

What evidence do you have that the NCAA has us under a microscope? I don't remember having any trouble with them since... I don't even know.

We wouldn't be taking on his contract, he would get a new one with us.

I don't see Louisville trying to get rid of him. If he leaves at the end of the year they will prob make a statement saying it was a mutual decision. I seriously doubt he will be run out, it is possible though.

I will take him without even a second thought. In fact, if we don't get him I will prob go on antidepressants.

What evidence do you have that the NCAA has us under a microscope? I don't remember having any trouble with them since... I don't even know.

We wouldn't be taking on his contract, he would get a new one with us.

I don't see Louisville trying to get rid of him. If he leaves at the end of the year they will prob make a statement saying it was a mutual decision. I seriously doubt he will be run out, it is possible though.

I will take him without even a second thought. In fact, if we don't get him I will prob go on antidepressants.

We haven't been in trouble because Kruger and Rice ran a clean program. This situation with Jones is a procedural violation, and one that would have been ignored had it occurred at another school. If UNLV hires Rick, that will let Louisville off the financial hook for the remainder of his contract with them. Again, if he is such a great coach, why wouldn't they fight to keep him unless they know he is gonna be a liability. it is this, we don't care if he is a cheater, we just want to win attitude that I just don't understand. Pitino is a slimebag and I hope he doesn't represent my alma mater when we can get Archie Miller or someone else with that kind of money.

Nah, I don't get it.

You say the have been waiting to pounce on us for years, but we have not heard from them in years. Say it is because of Kruger and Rice... Whatever, they haven't been around so you have no idea if they are looking at all.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
NEWSFLASH: There is NO such thing as a clean anything in College Sports. No clean Programs at the top, not even close. And the judge of this cleanliness is the NCAA which is most certainly as dirty as hell.

NEWSFLASH: There is NO such thing as a clean anything in College Sports. No clean Programs at the top, not even close. And the judge of this cleanliness is the NCAA which is most certainly as dirty as hell.

ok, how about a coach who isn't coming from a program that is currently being investigated and punished for major rule violations. UNLV spent decades fighting for Tark who came to UNLV under similar circumstances only he was cleared of any wrong doing where as Pitino has been tied to the whole mess. There are plenty of successful coaches out there that don't have his NCAA trouble. Why bring in someone who could do more damage to the program than good. I guess most people here are either too young or weren't here thru the NCAA persecution years. The fact that Wynn is involved is really pissing me off since he was the one that ruined our program in the first place by demanding and getting Tark fired but people here don't seem to know or care.

Jones said that he was visiting family and that's why he took the test at that center. It is unfortunate that he happened to take the test at a site that was already under scrutiny but he didn't know that. As far as the NCAA having us under a microscope I don't think so. However, we have been bitten by some kinda bad luck bug and if they don't make this hire right then we're screwed. This is rough.

We haven't been in trouble because Kruger and Rice ran a clean program. it is this, we don't care if he is a cheater, we just want to win attitude that I just don't understand. .

Ding ding ding, you finally got it...everyone wants to win and I don't care about all the other crap...i would rather watch a 28-5 team that is banned then the bs I have seen for the past couple of years.

And fyi, no one runs a "clean" program

Wynn owes us big time for screwing UNLV back in the day...so he needs to cough up that 4 million+ to get Pitino here

Reactions: ThailandReb
What hy
Did you picket for Tark to get fired? I'm not understanding the hypocrisy here.

What hypocrisy? I liked Tark but didn't condone any rules violations that may have occurred under his watch at UNLV. If Tark was fired because of rule infractions at UNLV then fine, but Wynn got him fired for personal reasons, because he threw him out of his locker room. I don't understand saying you know Pitino is a cheater but that's ok if we win. Saying UNLV might as well cheat because everyone else does is repugnant to me.

What hy

What hypocrisy? I liked Tark but didn't condone any rules violations that may have occurred under his watch at UNLV. If Tark was fired because of rule infractions at UNLV then fine, but Wynn got him fired for personal reasons, because he threw him out of his locker room. I don't understand saying you know Pitino is a cheater but that's ok if we win. Saying UNLV might as well cheat because everyone else does is repugnant to me.
If you say Pitino is a cheater and you don't want him here because of that.... Were you cheering for Tark's teams when Tark was here? Did you want him gone? Did you not go to games because of accusations? Was your stance this adamant back then?

I'm not saying you should cheat because everyone else does. You inferred that somehow even though I didn't go close to making that statement.

Makes no sense to me that you could support one and demonize the other.

Reactions: ThailandReb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT