ADVERTISEMENT

Cronin

No. You don't understand this whole thing very well.

UNLV's basketball budget is 4.6 million, revenue is 9.2M. We can't pay a coach 3 million who doesn't bring in an equal or greater amount in increased revenue. If you think Mick Cronin is capable of doing that when Cincy's revenue has decreased in the last three years, you're an idiot. It's a losing proposition. We need either an up and coming coach with serious potential or a sure thing big name hire. Cronin is neither.

I would gladly take Cronin at this point, but I would rather have Martin.

Cronin seems a little like Martin 2.0 so we might as well just get the real thing.

I tried to find a link but couldn't. The other day when I first heard his name, I went back and looked at whatever I could find about him.

He did an interview after the conference tournament game they got screwed out of. Let's just say he says what's on his mind and I am ready for that.

The player that was up there with him gave the reporters a look like I am glad I am not you guys.

I am actually excited about this guy, I think he has an upside.

Sorry manic, I am not seeing the Lavin thing.

No need to be sorry rebelluver, I'm not even a Lavin fan I just prefer him at a better price than Cronin. I'm not convinced either of those guys are the right move for the program.

Frank Martin? Boy, he'd certainly shake things up around here. Whether that's good or bad, probably the former leading to the latter lol.

Manic, with all due respect.. I enjoy your posts and arguments when our opinions differ. That said, why in the world do you care how much some filthy-rich boosters decide to pay for the next coach?! I don't understand it. They could pay 50 million per as long as the coach is the best we can get; the money ain't mine or yours so as long as it doesn't drastically affect ticket prices or donations, why should it affect you?

I'd rather the filthy rich boosters pay 3M for a guy who will take us dancing every year and win some games there, than 500k for similar results than we've seen...

Fair enough Thailand, even if it's boosters paying for the whole deal, which it won't be, we still need the right hire. I don't believe Cronin is good enough for that kind of coin or the right fit at UNLV and if he fails at 3M/yr, how willing will those same boosters be to reach in their pocket again for the next guy and how much will it cost? The bar is being set high for a guy who may not be able to jump it. Especially when he's only 5'7" haha j/k.

Dayton; do your own homework kid!

Reactions: ThailandReb
Well Athlon does this write up each year. in 14 he was 32nd and this past year theyhad him at 42

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16

Obviously supports some of your concern.

Yeah, so top 50 was a fair estimate.

It just doesn't feel like the right hire to me and especially for that price. I don't believe Mick Cronin is the best coach we can get for 3 million. Kruger was on 1.2 here and I doubt anyone would rate Cronin a better coach.

Comparing the upside of Cincinnati to UNLV's is a whole different animal, their all in on football we still need basketball to be our number one until Sanchez gets rolling, but the hastily of this town and basketball shows how much support and dollars can be generated here, the price tag is steep but if he can turn Huggins' dumpster fire around he is driven and determined he can win big here way more then at Cincinnati.
I think his track record and pedigree warrant this type of investment in todays market we simply cannot afford anyone unproven, or with less of a record of success especially with what he's done where he's done it.

Let me ask you something rebelx, is Mick Cronin worth paying a top ten salary in the country? A coach was has been to one sweet sixteen because it sounds ridiculous to me. You don't pay Lexus money to drive a Toyota.

Reactions: willlevi
Oh man, the anti-Cronin trolls are already forming up.

If Cronin is the best we can do right now, I'll take it. He's a Huggins disciple and has had plenty of success. How can multiple NCAA tourney bids and wins, winning seasons, etc, not be good enough for us?
Troll? Kiss my a.. Nobody said he's not good enough but 3 million a year??? That's top ten coach money. If you think Mick Cronin is a top ten coach, you're a crackhead.

Troll? Kiss my a.. Nobody said he's not good enough but 3 million a year??? That's top ten coach money. If you think Mick Cronin is a top ten coach, you're a crackhead.

If we want to compete with the big boys, we have to offer that kind of money. Inflation is a bitch.

Also, it's not going to be 3 million a year. I wasn't referring to you either.

Reactions: ThailandReb
The 3 million is steep once I looked at a list of the highest paid coaches. He is up there with some pretty accomplished guys.

Still, it isn't my money so I don't care. We need a guy that we know can get the job done.

After it was obvious Pitino wasn't going to happen, Dixon headed to TCU, and Underwood went to Ok St, all so quick one after another, I started panicking a little.

Now Cronin sounds like a helluva idea. If it takes a million of under amour money and a million of booster money, so be it.

No more crap shoots!

Someone's gotta play devil's advocate, Rebelsoldat.

Cronin is a solid coach but based on his record, he's not a sure thing. And if we've really got 3 mil, why aren't we going after some bigger names? That's Jay Wright, Bob Huggins type money.

Reactions: BleedzRebelRed
Someone's gotta play devil's advocate, Rebelsoldat.

Cronin is a solid coach but based on his record, he's not a sure thing. And if we've really got 3 mil, why aren't we going after some bigger names? That's Jay Wright, Bob Huggins type money.

Mayne Jay Wright and Huggins aren't interested?

Let me ask you something rebelx, is Mick Cronin worth paying a top ten salary in the country? A coach was has been to one sweet sixteen because it sounds ridiculous to me. You don't pay Lexus money to drive a Toyota.
Not an easy question but in my opinion yes if you look at his pedigree and characteristics, he can lead a program to a national championship in my opinion, but thats the difficult part is it always takes some good fortune, but yes in today Market I think MC is a top ten/twenty salary. There is also speculation and you have to do that hell if we would have bough Apple stock early wed all be rich, sometimes you have to look at the big picture and gamble a little bit on performance in the end, but his dad was a coach, he's driven, he's young he's got some fire, he's detailed almost obsessive, he's turned around a dumpster fire, and he's consistently won averaging 23 wins a year at a football school, no less in Cincinnati, UNLV is a gold mine but only for the right personality we've proven that premise both ways the past 30 years.
I 100% think Cronin is worth the gamble. This is Las Vegas we don't do well with dave Rice we need to be aggressive and live up to the rebel moniker, Tark was that kind of hire since then we lost our balls and have taken the safe the easy and you know what nothing in life that is safe or easy gets you anywhere especially if the aspiration is to win a national championship again.

Thanks for the reply, maybe you're right. I wonder if Howland is still on the market and if Frank Martin should be a candidate. Now he sounds like a real gamble lol.

Mayne Jay Wright and Huggins aren't interested?
I know right. Archie Miller, Pitino... and the list goes on. Seems like we've asked a lot of girls to the prom and are down to the ugly chicks already.

I was getting ready to post something along this line, was looking at the highest paid head coaches, and couldn't find anybody around $2M who would seriously want to come here much less $2.75M or $3M when they would have to go to $3.5M+.

Thanks for the reply, maybe you're right. I wonder if Howland is still on the market and if Frank Martin should be a candidate. Now he sounds like a real gamble lol.
Have to take into some consideration that some deals are virtually "undoable" for UNLV. Yes, you may be able to hammer out a contract, but some guys have HUGE buyouts. And if the school being left requires that money in full, up front, you are SOL. That UNLV was able to piece a contract like this together was stretching things extremely thin.

The buyout of Dixon was 7 million. I'm sure it could have been negotiated down, but even half of that is sky high. So, in theory, you'd have to give Pitt 7M just to sign him to a 2.5M contract. This while you still owe Rice. Coming from a department that barely treads water.

Listen, I wish we had a T Boone that gave money hand over fist, but we don't. The financial situation at UNLV is and has been tenuous. We all want a huge name coach but we want to pay very little for him. Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

So one of the huge keys in these things is, what is the buyout? You can avoid that by hiring an assistant or a lower level D1 guy or an NBA guy or somebody currently not working.

Have to take into some consideration that some deals are virtually "undoable" for UNLV. Yes, you may be able to hammer out a contract, but some guys have HUGE buyouts. And if the school being left requires that money in full, up front, you are SOL. That UNLV was able to piece a contract like this together was stretching things extremely thin.

The buyout of Dixon was 7 million. I'm sure it could have been negotiated down, but even half of that is sky high. So, in theory, you'd have to give Pitt 7M just to sign him to a 2.5M contract. This while you still owe Rice. Coming from a department that barely treads water.

Listen, I wish we had a T Boone that gave money hand over fist, but we don't. The financial situation at UNLV is and has been tenuous. We all want a huge name coach but we want to pay very little for him. Champagne tastes on a beer budget.

So one of the huge keys in these things is, what is the buyout? You can avoid that by hiring an assistant or a lower level D1 guy or an NBA guy or somebody currently not working.
Timing is everything. We had our chance at Howland last year and the Powers that be decided Rice's recruiting class was more important, like Howland is not capable of recruiting to Rice's level. Idiots.

It isn't my dime that is going to pay the new coach. If UNLV has secured enough outside money to pay a new coach 3 million dollars, good for them. I have never begrudged the salaries of coaches but they know upfront that they need to attract paying customers to the games. That means winning, and winning big.

Is Mick the right guy? I have no idea but if he gets the job, then we all need to get behind him 100%.

But... but... a Lexus is a Toyota with a fancy logo on it.....

Timing is everything. We had our chance at Howland last year and the Powers that be decided Rice's recruiting class was more important, like Howland is not capable of recruiting to Rice's level. Idiots.

Cronin is just like Howland. What's the big deal?

anyone hear how much Ok State paid Underwood? did we offer Underwood $3 million or did we low ball him? not saying either is worth that much, but i was curious.

if MC comes here, when Dave Hall is the ref, i'm betting he gets thrown out ever other game.

anyone hear how much Ok State paid Underwood? did we offer Underwood $3 million or did we low ball him? not saying either is worth that much, but i was curious.

if MC comes here, when Dave Hall is the ref, i'm betting he gets thrown out ever other game.

Whose to say we could? Under Armour would pay Cronin about $1M, that's how this $3M thing is possible.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Apparently our Nike deal is almost up and under armour wants to sign us. They are throwing a mil down on coach and have a deal with Cinci already. Guess that means they want him.

Winner..

UNLV is in poor financial shape. I said this in another thread, last year was the first year the Athletic department ran in the black for some time.

To get to the money we are talking about, UNLV needs booster and some outside source help. Getting that outside help could be tied to particular coaches but not available for others.

Yeah, so top 50 was a fair estimate.

It just doesn't feel like the right hire to me and especially for that price. I don't believe Mick Cronin is the best coach we can get for 3 million. Kruger was on 1.2 here and I doubt anyone would rate Cronin a better coach.
And Kruger left for more money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT