ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 Spring Ball

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Darrien Jones stood out again. This is the second day in a row that he's really turned heads.

He turned heads in the spring and summer last year, but got no burn so I hope this isn't the same situation again. Uber talented.

Edit: just realized I posted this in the wrong forum

Last edited:
Darrien Jones stood out again. This is the second day in a row that he's really turned heads.

He turned heads in the spring and summer last year, but got no burn so I hope this isn't the same situation again. Uber talented.

Interesting prospect. Wasn't highly recruited out of HS...Not that, that really matters, neither were some of our best backs like Lexington or Tim Cornett..

Interesting prospect. Wasn't highly recruited out of HS...Not that, that really matters, neither were some of our best backs like Lexington or Tim Cornett..
Seems like the team is able to really recruit and find good players. Jet is the best example.

Georgia Southern or Georgia State thought he wasn't good enough for them? He would have put up monster numbers at either of those spots.

Seems like the team is able to really recruit and find good players. Jet is the best example.

Georgia Southern or Georgia State thought he wasn't good enough for them? He would have put up monster numbers at either of those spots.

Let me preface this by saying I really do like Jet.

I'm just not quite as high as others. He was really really good as a freshman. Lester and Davis both had better YPC. More or almost as many yards. Jet's TD total got a little inflated by that UTEP game with 4.

I definitely think he'll contribute this year, no doubt, but wouldn't be surprised to see somebody else get more carries than he does. Especially considering how many backs they like to use.

Small thing to fans but huge to coaching staff is ability to pass protect. He could lose reps to a guy like K. James who's bigger and definitely a good pass catcher as well.

I agree though early on this staff has shown an ability to find guts a little under the radar. How he wasn't good enough for Georgia Southern is baffling.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Let me preface this by saying I really do like Jet.

I'm just not quite as high as others. He was really really good as a freshman. Lester and Davis both had better YPC. More or almost as many yards. Jet's TD total got a little inflated by that UTEP game with 4.

I definitely think he'll contribute this year, no doubt, but wouldn't be surprised to see somebody else get more carries than he does. Especially considering how many backs they like to use.

Small thing to fans but huge to coaching staff is ability to pass protect. He could lose reps to a guy like K. James who's bigger and definitely a good pass catcher as well.

I agree though early on this staff has shown an ability to find guts a little under the radar. How he wasn't good enough for Georgia Southern is baffling.
I totally understand what you're saying. I like Jet and liked that he was able to get 100+ carries as a freshman. That means he's trusted, even with the 4 seniors in the room with him.

I like Kylin a lot. Some were acting like I was crazy when I said I thought he'd be our leading rusher lol

I totally understand what you're saying. I like Jet and liked that he was able to get 100+ carries as a freshman. That means he's trusted, even with the 4 seniors in the room with him.

I like Kylin a lot. Some were acting like I was crazy when I said I thought he'd be our leading rusher lol

I think his ability to catch the ball and pass protect will get him on the field a lot. Also think with his size he could see bulk of the short yardage and goal line carries.

Will he lead us in rushing? Hard to say. He'll likely be in the mix. I think it could change week to week depending on opponent and how Marion wants to attack the defense.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Spring Ball in the basketball board while we're on a 9-1 run? We really are a Football school now...lol

But really, we're going to have multiple backs touch the ball 5-10 times a game... it's going to be interesting to see who becomes the back that moves chains vs the one who gets the passing downs and gimmicks. It's going to be a fun offense that's stacked and should only get better, especially since Marrion is finally going to be in a "year 2" at one program

Attended Georgia Southern (GSU) post undergrad for a semester 10 out of 10 would NOT recommend.. they're D1 now but it's a sad place.... They could always recruit good running backs being so close to FLORIDA but it never turned out well. They also had a pretty awesome fraternity row but had the highest STD rates in the state. 💫 #The-More You know🥴

Last edited:
Marion is going to have to add more wrinkles to the playbook, we’re going to have different tendencies and players. It’s going to be a different offense than last year. That was always the plan, we won 9 games but if we are being honest never really dominated at the end.

Based on the roster composition and players brought in, I expect a very high uptempo, fast offense.

Whoever is the QB is going to have to move fast and make decisions fast. Like last year, there’s going to be a lot of contributors and more competition this year.

Theres more established guys this year and that means everyone else will have to work much harder to get any playing time.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I want to see Jacob get more touches out of the backfield.

He showed well in the bowl game having to fill in at running back. 6 carries for 40 yards. Was close to 100 receiving as well.

With addition of Cain he should move into the slot where he's more suited as a #3 WR.

I'm with you I'd like to see him line up in the backfield and see some touches running the ball, it might also get him matched up with a LB in passing situations which is a potential mismatch

With White and to lesser degree Cain drawing a lot of attention on the outside DeJesus could be poised for a big year.

My take on the offense as a whole assuming Sluka wins the job.

Rebs won't throw for nearly as many yards this season. I think we'll be a little more run heavy (Sluka being a big part of that). But. We'll see a lot more big plays downfield. I think White's catches and TDs may drop this year but his yards per catch go up. Plus there should be more options to spread the ball around.

If OL holds up offense could be explosive.

He showed well in the bowl game having to fill in at running back. 6 carries for 40 yards. Was close to 100 receiving as well.

With addition of Cain he should move into the slot where he's more suited as a #3 WR.

I'm with you I'd like to see him line up in the backfield and see some touches running the ball, it might also get him matched up with a LB in passing situations which is a potential mismatch

With White and to lesser degree Cain drawing a lot of attention on the outside DeJesus could be poised for a big year.

My take on the offense as a whole assuming Sluka wins the job.

Rebs won't throw for nearly as many yards this season. I think we'll be a little more run heavy (Sluka being a big part of that). But. We'll see a lot more big plays downfield. I think White's catches and TDs may drop this year but his yards per catch go up. Plus there should be more options to spread the ball around.

If OL holds up offense could be explosive.
I can see us running more tempo with a more effective run game on first and second down. Having 2 backs in the backfield, potentially DeJesus or even a wideout as a run option in a jet sweep, then a mobile QB adds a lot of reads/assignments for the defense to account for.
We have a lot of returning OL. Hopefully they get better this year ( as OL tend to do).
As good as our offense was last year. We threw a lot more than this offense was meant to do, and our running game was not effective on early downs, which really took the go-go out of the go-go, if we can't run tempo.
I can see the offense really opening up this year.
I also think Cain will also add more dimension as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT