ADVERTISEMENT

Cronin

Mjs_702

National Player of the Year
Aug 4, 2012
twitter.com
Since the last MC thread turned into a total sh## show lets try this again.

Apparently there's mutual interest. Discuss.

Ya, dude was on his period or something.

Cronin is underwhelming, not the big splash hire we were hoping for. Town is becoming big time with an NHL franchise and a state of the art football stadium on the way, would be nice to get a big name BB coach in too.

What happened to Howland, is he out of the mix?

I'd still rather have Lavin than Cronin, much better recruiter and motivator. Who's the better coach, the jury's out. Lavin sure did turn St John's around fast. Not that impressed with Cincy during Cronin's tenure.

What happened to Howland, is he out of the mix?

I'd still rather have Lavin than Cronin, much better recruiter and motivator. Who's the better coach, the jury's out. Lavin sure did turn St John's around fast. Not that impressed with Cincy during Cronin's tenure.
i like Lavin. i really like his hair. reminds me of a Pat Riley or Rick Pitino. anyone who can grease their hair back stands out for me.

i like Cronin too because he reminds me of the angry leprechaun that fights in the UFC.

i like Cronin too because he reminds me of the angry leprechaun that fights in the UFC.

I was thinking Paul Giamatti

paul-giamatti.jpg

Reactions: toonkee

I can't believe how anyone would want Lavin more than Cronin. Lavin is like an upper middle-class man's Bill Bayno or Dave Rice. Throughout his career he has recruited lights-out, and drastically underperformed with those super recruits.

You say he really did turn St. John's around fast... he had a 60 percent winning percentage there (81-53 record) and was barely over .500 in conference games. Made 2 NCAA tourneys in 5 years, didn't win a game.

I will say his post-season record with UCLA was very impressive; 5 Sweet 16's in 6 years including an Elite 8 trip. But people forget that those teams drastically under-performed in the regular season and in PAC-10 conference games every year, with top national recruiting classes. Also, since his impressive post-season run his first 6 years of coaching, he's only made 2 NCAA's his last 6 years of coaching, not won a game. Fabulous hair aside, NO THANKS to Lavin!!!

I'm sick of having the UNLV brand associated with underachieving; with both Bayno and Rice (and arguably Spoon and even the first few seasons of Kruger, as well), our teams underachieved. I want a coach who, like Kruger in his past 5 or so years here, actually got the talent to perform.

^ Way to rewrite history, Kruger's teams were not very good the last few years, hence he was looking for a way out. You must have forgot that humiliating Illinois beatdown.

Lavin took St John's from last place to 3rd in a loaded Big East his first season then he got cancer. He's a much better recruiter than Cronin so I have no idea why you're getting giddy over him. Where's the evidence of him being such a superior coach because his record surely doesn't prove it?

Cronin is 5-9 at the NCAAs vs Lavin who is 10-1 in the first and second rounds of the NCAAs and you're talking about you're tired of mediocre, I don't think you know what mediocre is. Neither of the two are mediocre but Lavin's record is clearly better.

Isn't that what you want, a guy who can actually win games when we get to the tourney because that's what I want. Cronin can get you there but are you gonna win? Lavin knows how to win and he's the superior recruiter. I don't even know if I want him but between the two, the numbers don't lie.

The fact the majority of people are against Lavin probably tells you he should be the hire because the majority are usually wrong. They majority didn't want Kruger and he got us back on track, without a doubt.

For the record I'm still hoping for Howland, but if it's down to Cronin or Lavin, it's Lavin for me. No matter whose those idiots hire I'll be stuck rooting for them, here's hoping...

^ Way to rewrite history, Kruger's teams were not very good the last few years, hence he was looking for a way out. You must have forgot that humiliating Illinois beatdown.

Lavin took St John's from last place to 3rd in a loaded Big East his first season then he got cancer. He's a much better recruiter than Cronin so I have no idea why you're getting giddy over him. Where's the evidence of him being such a superior coach because his record surely doesn't prove it?
Actually, I think he was in person to witness that beat down. No better way to forget it than witness it first hand.

Reactions: ThailandReb
What's your top 3-5 preferences for coach of all the names that are supposedly candidates, Joe?

Man, I don't know how you guys did it. That was horrendous. I had to leave BWW before a plate went through their big screen lol
The dejection was indescribable. Two guys I traveled with headed to the concourse to drink BEFORE HALFTIME. I sat there like a lump on a log, absorbing the pain for them, my eyes witnessing complete disaster.

What's your top 3-5 preferences for coach of all the names that are supposedly candidates, Joe?
Good question.

Don't hold out hope for Howland or anything like that, though. If it gets down to Lavin, I'd be surprised. Right now, Cronin, all things considered, is the best get, IMO.

After that... I just don't know.

You are correct Joe, I was there at the game watching next to you. It was ugly and depressing, and there was a feeling in the air that it could possibly be the end for Kruger, even if the unexpected (at the time) OU job offer wasn't imminent.

I was and still am a huge Kruger fan because his teams did more than any other UNLV coach i've witnessed, and the feeling when he was here (nationally, at least) was that he got the most of his talent. I was one of the few who were sad to see him go, and worried that UNLV would take a big step down (which it has). I do agree that his last few years were "blah" and a step down from the 2 straight years we won NCAA games, but at least he won games in a much more competitive MWC, and made the NCAA's. Basically his record his last 2 years were more or less identical with Rice's record his first 2 years.

Lavin WAS 10-1 in the NCAA's first weekend in his first 6 seasons at UCLA. 11-2 overall. However, in his last 5 seasons of coaching (I won't put in the year he got cancer, obviously), he was 0-2 in the NCAA's, with 3 years he didn't make it.

I can't criticize Lavin's record in the dance, even though after his initial 6 seasons he's done nothing there. Still, like I said earlier, 5 Sweet 16's including an Elite 8 is undoubtedly impressive. Where I am skeptical is that literally every year the consensus was that he mightily underachieved in the regular season. I agree that NCAA appearances and wins is what it's all about, but I just feel that Lavin has SHOWN what he can do with elite talent (consistently underachieve with it; and then possibly go on some runs in the NCAA's).

On the other hand, Cronin, as others have said and I feel, can get much better talent to UNLV than he could to Cincy, and IMO he will be able to do much more with it.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Good question.

Don't hold out hope for Howland or anything like that, though. If it gets down to Lavin, I'd be surprised. Right now, Cronin, all things considered, is the best get, IMO.

After that... I just don't know.
Fair enough. I guess the school missed the boat on Howland when they let it sail last year. I'm not convinced Cronin is better than Lavin but I hope I'm wrong if he's our guy.

What about some of the other names mentioned, were Scotty Brooks or Mike Brown ever serious candidates?

Well, Thailand I hope you're right because they seem to be making a move. As far as Lavin is concerned, he got cancer after his first season at St John's and still managed to come back and get them back into the tourney, you might be a little hard on him.

I remember his UCLA teams and yes, the impression at UCLA was that he was underachieving but like you said 5 sweet sixteens and an elite 8 is nothing to scoff at and the guy can recruit like crazy.

If a guy who can't coach a lick can get nationally ranked recruiting classes to UNLV, here's hoping a real coach can take it that step further, maybe you're right and Cronin is the right fit, right now.

Fair enough. I guess the school missed the boat on Howland when they let it sail last year. I'm not convinced Cronin is better than Lavin but I hope I'm wrong if he's our guy.

What about some of the other names mentioned, were Scotty Brooks or Mike Brown ever serious candidates?
Maybe very, very early on, but I wouldn't call it serious early. Plus, I know a D1 head with some experience and some success was greatly preferred.

Reactions: manic water
[QUOTE=

Picture this: Mick Cronin, dressed as a leprechaun, coaching against Notre Dame, in South Bend.

From the Cinncinnati board (about Cronin):

"So, who could we find that could finish better than 4-5 in a weak mid major league? Or, who could do better than " never" winning a conference tournament? Or, who could do better than "never" winning an outright league championship? Or, who could do better than 1-2 NBA players in 10 years? Or, who could do better than rarely to never having a recruiting class ranked in the Top 30?"

I had deja vu after reading the bearcat board. They're a little warmer on Mick then we were on Lon. After that Illinois beat down most of us wanted more from our coach. Mick has gotten them to the tournament the last 6 years and most of their fans want more.

OT-My top 4 tournament losses that had me seeing blood red: The loss to Duke; When Tulsa spanked us; The Illinois beat down and probably the final 4 loss to IU.

Mick will be a good pick up for UNLV, he'll recruit at a higher level here and we can only hope that translates in deeper tourney runs
http://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=10797&page=41

Good discussions here. Thanks to all for not jacking it up.

I see both sides of the Lavin vs Cronin discussion. I'd be happy with either. I do think Lavin would be a lifelong Rebel if he came (and succeeded), just seems more like a Vegas guy to me.

In the end, glad we didn't get Underwood because I really felt he would've bolted quick. Too many lights in sin city for that guy. Look for him to make some big noise at OSU.

In the end I just don't want a Pasterneck or an Alford or someone else I hate.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
A few things about Cronin I have wittnesed. He really scouts out players. I have been at AAU tournaments where all the big name players and coaches are gone and he is still ot looking for the diamond.
He doesnt seem real personable but if you talk to him he is cool and knowledgeable. Of the three or four coaches in this area (Mack, Miller, Donlon) I like him the best and think in the right situation can be really successful.
I do know he has had some health problems in the past, i would definitely check into that before hiring.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
A few things about Cronin I have wittnesed. He really scouts out players. I have been at AAU tournaments where all the big name players and coaches are gone and he is still ot looking for the diamond.
He doesnt seem real personable but if you talk to him he is cool and knowledgeable. Of the three or four coaches in this area (Mack, Miller, Donlon) I like him the best and think in the right situation can be really successful.
I do know he has had some health problems in the past, i would definitely check into that before hiring.
He had a serious health issue, it's been fully resolved. It's not something that should pop up again, surgery is the cure.

The dejection was indescribable. Two guys I traveled with headed to the concourse to drink BEFORE HALFTIME. I sat there like a lump on a log, absorbing the pain for them, my eyes witnessing complete disaster.

It was the first rebel game I've ever turned off at halftime. Sadly, there have been many since.

It is odd, that a guy with Lavin's resume generally gets pretty mediocre reactions from people when his name pops up.

There have been whispers that the locker rooms were real divided at UCLA.

There have been brushes with the NCAA.

Rumors of player misconduct swept under the rug.

Somebody posted a quote from a former player who said 'we are the only team to make the sweet 16 without a coach'

Like I said, for a guy with a resume as good as his, there always seems to be some reservations when his name pops up. Its hard to figure out.

For the record I am not pro or con Lavin. Just pointing out some things beyond the W/L column.

Last edited:
3 million for Cronin is ridiculous if reports are true. The guy hasn't won spit and they want to pay him how much? Lavin could be had for close to half that and is a better fit for Vegas.

What a joke this coaching search has been. In it's third month and they're throwing darts at the wall.

There are 3 million reasons we can do better. Just making the tourney is not a result and it does not match with the remuneration. The guy is probably just using the courtship as leverage anyway.

3 million for Cronin is ridiculous if reports are true. The guy hasn't won spit and they want to pay him how much? Lavin could be had for close to half that and is a better fit for Vegas.

What a joke this coaching search has been. In it's third month and they're throwing darts at the wall.
Seriously...Whats it to you how much he gets paid? Its not your money so calm down. He is one of the best defensive coaches in the game and the stats back it up. I don't think people who are so down on this potential hire are really informed basketball fans. Cronin is a huge get for a program like ours.

Seriously...Whats it to you how much he gets paid? Its not your money so calm down. He is one of the best defensive coaches in the game and the stats back it up. I don't think people who are so down on this potential hire are really informed basketball fans. Cronin is a huge get for a program like ours.
Signed up last week with the name "Slick Mick". Nice, now we're geting trolled by Cincy fans desperate to get rid of him.

I love when people get upset about money lmao I didn't know that its coming from your own check book
You're still living at home huh? lol

The HC's salary affects the entire athletic budget. If the results don't come, the progam goes under and it gets ugly real fast.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Signed up last week with the name "Slick Mick". Nice, now we're geting trolled by Cincy fans desperate to get rid of him.
Signed up before Mick was an open idea. You have been here a long time, so what? Does not mean your points are more valid and by the way statements like that are so weak.

Reactions: ReBsFanatiC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT