ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton

Crazy, does show talent is spread out quite a bit so coaching means more now than back in the day where good recruiters that were bad coaches were successful for a long time. Guys like Norm Sloan, Bill Frider of Mich, George Ravling of Iowa/Usc come to mind.

The same Creighton that UNLV easily beat destroyed #1 UConn today. Where did that team go?
UNLV might end up with one degree of separation from a national championship.

I can see UNLV’s preseason write up for next year.

“The Rebels, who dominated the Creighton Blue Jays - the only team in the nation to beat NCAA champion UConn by a dizzying 17 points - will look to extend upon their fourth straight season of finishing above .500 in conference play. Led by returning sharpshooter Shane Nowell, the Runnin’ Rebs will have their sights set upon their 7th NCAA appearance since 2000.”

And it’ll be reposted with a childlike giddiness by the Kumbaya Krew.

So I think there's a lot more parity in the top 40 programs or so this year. Creighton when they're shooting well are capable of beating anyone. They shot really poorly against us and CSU this year. I know I'm an old-head, but it's tough not to notice the quality and cohesion of most NCAA buckets is way down.

Reactions: billd99s
So I think there's a lot more parity in the top 40 programs or so this year. Creighton when they're shooting well are capable of beating anyone. They shot really poorly against us and CSU this year. I know I'm an old-head, but it's tough not to notice the quality and cohesion of most NCAA buckets is way down.
Way down is being very kind.

Fundamentals have been eroding for a long time, it’s nothing new. We see more one dimensional players now than ever. Some are super high skilled in that one dimension but incomplete players make incomplete teams. Post guys with one move and poor feet, shooters that can’t dribble, guards that don’t defend, wings that are nothing more than athletes … and, in general, just low IQ basketball across the board, total lack of cohesion, purpose.

Four of the top 10’s of the old days would meet in the Final Four undefeated. Just kidding but you know what I’m saying. Spoon’s St Louis teams would be top 10, his UNLV team would be top 25.

Reactions: billd99s
Yeah, having more minutes
Way down is being very kind.

Fundamentals have been eroding for a long time, it’s nothing new. We see more one dimensional players now than ever. Some are super high skilled in that one dimension but incomplete players make incomplete teams. Post guys with one move and poor feet, shooters that can’t dribble, guards that don’t defend, wings that are nothing more than athletes … and, in general, just low IQ basketball across the board, total lack of cohesion, purpose.

Four of the top 10’s of the old days would meet in the Final Four undefeated. Just kidding but you know what I’m saying. Spoon’s St Louis teams would be top 10, his UNLV team would be top 25.
Yeah, AAU basketball I think is a big chunk of it. Used to be you just played AAU to get some burn during HS off-season. Now, the AAU is the team that travels and people come to watch and they want to see highlights. I try not to be too grumpy about it--sort of have to accept the zeitgeist or walk away--but Man, it's hard not to get too nostalgic.

UNLV might end up with one degree of separation from a national championship.

I can see UNLV’s preseason write up for next year.

“The Rebels, who dominated the Creighton Blue Jays - the only team in the nation to beat NCAA champion UConn by a dizzying 17 points - will look to extend upon their fourth straight season of finishing above .500 in conference play. Led by returning sharpshooter Shane Nowell, the Runnin’ Rebs will have their sights set upon their 7th NCAA appearance since 2000.”

And it’ll be reposted with a childlike giddiness by the Kumbaya Krew.
You forgot "Coming off their best finish in conference play since 2020 T-3 having beat several NCAA tournament teams,..."

Reactions: j. spilotro
I say write the offer to the new coach. Reason KK will not based on his players coming back and new center who cannot shoot a fifteen footer, no power forward who can shoot a fifteen footer, Hicks and DJ Thomas and Nowell will not be able to run like New Mexico does with this slow down offense. The rest of the teams in the league will get better just with the players they have now. KK's ability to recruit transfer players has been put to rest with the inconsistent play of his Big 12 athletes. With just one credible recruit (Evans) we have no new offense coming. It is time to move on. We need a dynamic coach who can recruit Texas, SEC, and So Cal and then get them to play hard every night. I have to watch BYU/Baylor to see a basketball game where everyone plays hard even if BYU can have horrible shooting nights, their 6'7, 6'6, 6'5 guards hit the boards. Their center made 4 3 pointers and played well vs Baylor's 7 footer. Losing to BYU at altitude is what everyone does except Houston and Cincinnati. In other words, the game is changing and KK has shown me no awareness of that.

Reactions: rebel5280
I say write the offer to the new coach. Reason KK will not based on his players coming back and new center who cannot shoot a fifteen footer, no power forward who can shoot a fifteen footer, Hicks and DJ Thomas and Nowell will not be able to run like New Mexico does with this slow down offense. The rest of the teams in the league will get better just with the players they have now. KK's ability to recruit transfer players has been put to rest with the inconsistent play of his Big 12 athletes. With just one credible recruit (Evans) we have no new offense coming. It is time to move on. We need a dynamic coach who can recruit Texas, SEC, and So Cal and then get them to play hard every night. I have to watch BYU/Baylor to see a basketball game where everyone plays hard even if BYU can have horrible shooting nights, their 6'7, 6'6, 6'5 guards hit the boards. Their center made 4 3 pointers and played well vs Baylor's 7 footer. Losing to BYU at altitude is what everyone does except Houston and Cincinnati. In other words, the game is changing and KK has shown me no awareness of that.
I have been saying Kevin has reached his ceiling here and we are seeing the best it will be under him. Recruiting has been DJ, Whaley, and someday maybe Hicks and Evans. The transfer portal has been more miss than hit for Kevin and the class coming in is pedestrian and I doubt he pulls anyone worthwhile from the portal this year. We have seen enough of world class underachieving and I hope Harper has to!

I have been saying Kevin has reached his ceiling here and we are seeing the best it will be under him. Recruiting has been DJ, Whaley, and someday maybe Hicks and Evans. The transfer portal has been more miss than hit for Kevin and the class coming in is pedestrian and I doubt he pulls anyone worthwhile from the portal this year. We have seen enough of world class underachieving and I hope Harper has to!
You very well may be right. The entire season has been like a game of ping pong going back and forth. One game they look good and the next the fall back apart. UNLV had a nice scoring buffer between them and unr, and all they did was commit fouls and try to toss up 3's instead of slowing the game down.

As for me, I have given up on trying to figure out if Kruger stays or goes, I guess it depends on how he coaches in each game, and he didn't show up against unr, but who knows what will happen in the next game?

You very well may be right. The entire season has been like a game of ping pong going back and forth. One game they look good and the next the fall back apart. UNLV had a nice scoring buffer between them and unr, and all they did was commit fouls and try to toss up 3's instead of slowing the game down.

As for me, I have given up on trying to figure out if Kruger stays or goes, I guess it depends on how he coaches in each game, and he didn't show up against unr, but who knows what will happen in the next game?
Don’t worry. Tonight’s 20 point win swings the reaction back to three year extension, we are one bad call from the final four. Damn those refs.

The idea that Kruger has reached his ceiling in less than 3 years is just preposterous. We can argue if his resume warranted this job, that is fair.
But the flipside of not having experience, is that you tend to better with experience. Otherwise the argument that he didn't deserve the job is basically nullified. You can't have it both ways.
So did Kevin deserve the job or not?
Will they try to "spin" it. Sure they will, it is their job. If Kevin is retained there isn't going to be a lot of buzz into next season. Maybe some juice depending what he could do in the portal.
But all of those hilarious "spin" point mentioned above ( I know not you) are 100% true. More wins against ranked than the past 2 coaches combined is not made up, it is truth.
I'm not saying Kevin for sure is the long term answer, look around, no one is. The idea of Kumbayah doesn't exist on Rebel Net. I am one of the few campaigning for him to return, but I don't think he should be extended just yet. I have my criticisms.
I just think there are enough positives to warrant another year. See if he can make the next step. If he can compete and beat tournament teams on the regular there is some potential. It doesn't mean he will reach it, but it is possible.
As for next year? I think there are pieces in place for sure. IF DJ returns as expected, Whaley continues to be a force, Evans should be able to be a good contributor. Hicks is coming along. Bear and Pape should be a pretty 1-2 punch at the 5. Add in some portal pieces and you can have a squad. They do have the top recruiting class in the league, and that is before any transfers.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The idea that Kruger has reached his ceiling in less than 3 years is just preposterous. We can argue if his resume warranted this job, that is fair.
But the flipside of not having experience, is that you tend to better with experience. Otherwise the argument that he didn't deserve the job is basically nullified. You can't have it both ways.
So did Kevin deserve the job or not?
Will they try to "spin" it. Sure they will, it is their job. If Kevin is retained there isn't going to be a lot of buzz into next season. Maybe some juice depending what he could do in the portal.
But all of those hilarious "spin" point mentioned above ( I know not you) are 100% true. More wins against ranked than the past 2 coaches combined is not made up, it is truth.
I'm not saying Kevin for sure is the long term answer, look around, no one is. The idea of Kumbayah doesn't exist on Rebel Net. I am one of the few campaigning for him to return, but I don't think he should be extended just yet. I have my criticisms.
I just think there are enough positives to warrant another year. See if he can make the next step. If he can compete and beat tournament teams on the regular there is some potential. It doesn't mean he will reach it, but it is possible.
As for next year? I think there are pieces in place for sure. IF DJ returns as expected, Whaley continues to be a force, Evans should be able to be a good contributor. Hicks is coming along. Bear and Pape should be a pretty 1-2 punch at the 5. Add in some portal pieces and you can have a squad. They do have the top recruiting class in the league, and that is before any transfers.
I will say this I don’t mind debating with you, you stick to your guns, I respect that!

We don’t agree on coaching matters that often because I’m not one for staying in the same situation until things get better. I prefer being proactive and I don’t see Kevin as the guy, too many things that I have mentioned before are my reasons but we will see if things stay the same or move in a different direction.

My hope is Kevin goes bye bye like Marcus Arroyo!

Fan Foam Finger GIF by Microsoft Cloud

We are so close to being the #1 team in the country

On any given day we can beat ANYBODY !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT