ADVERTISEMENT

Consensus of TJ as a coach?

I would be surprised if otz went anywhere this year. I think you will see him at UNLV for at least 2 more years no matter his record. Iowa st is not going to invest the buy outs and salary at this point for him. (For clarification before someone starts crying this is my opinion not based off of fact)
Next year will be a real telling point and year four he will be on the hot seat.
Just hope football starts a serious progress so we have the funds to hire a top notch coach next time around.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Quite a few posters on the ISU boards disregard Otz record here saying that our program sucks so bad it would take a miracle worker to get it back.

Yeah, some of them have suggested that UNLV's current struggles are not Otz' fault, and some have called UNLV fans "idiots" for suggesting that Otz isn't a great recruiter. I'd say it's at least 50/50 over there whether they want him or not.

Yeah, some of them have suggested that UNLV's current struggles are not Otz' fault, and some have called UNLV fans "idiots" for suggesting that Otz isn't a great recruiter. I'd say it's at least 50/50 over there whether they want him or not.
Remember when we got Kruger? I remember fans not liking that hire either. IF or WHEN he goes we have to start from scratch once again. Either get a TOP recruiter assistant AKA Mike Miller or go after a OLDER coach like Pitino or Calhoun because in all likelihood we would be their last stop and both are GREAT coaches!!

UNLV will be in a huge opening season tournament with 3 high quality teams. This should help recruiting.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Remember when we got Kruger? I remember fans not liking that hire either. IF or WHEN he goes we have to start from scratch once again. Either get a TOP recruiter assistant AKA Mike Miller or go after a OLDER coach like Pitino or Calhoun because in all likelihood we would be their last stop and both are GREAT coaches!!
I like what you’re saying but every damn time the UNLV job opens up we hear about all these GREAT coaches that want the job (Karl, Pitino, Matta, etc) yet we end up with Rice, Menzies, and Otz. I’m at the point now where I don’t believe our administration can or will land an already great coach. We just have to hope Otz becomes a great coach. I do think he’s a better coach than Rice/Menzies. Hopefully next year shows it.

I like what you’re saying but every damn time the UNLV job opens up we hear about all these GREAT coaches that want the job (Karl, Pitino, Matta, etc) yet we end up with Rice, Menzies, and Otz. I’m at the point now where I don’t believe our administration can or will land an already great coach. We just have to hope Otz becomes a great coach. I do think he’s a better coach than Rice/Menzies. Hopefully next year shows it.
His winning percentage is less than both. Vs Menzies, makes sense, Menzies was afraid to play other teams. He trails Rice by a bit and Rice played teams and the conference was better (at least the first couple of years before it started slipping significantly).

Jury is still out. I think we will know a lot more (gain faith/lose faith) midway through the season next year.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I would be surprised if otz went anywhere this year. I think you will see him at UNLV for at least 2 more years no matter his record. Iowa st is not going to invest the buy outs and salary at this point for him. (For clarification before someone starts crying this is my opinion not based off of fact)
Next year will be a real telling point and year four he will be on the hot seat.
Just hope football starts a serious progress so we have the funds to hire a top notch coach next time around.
" year four he will be on the hot seat. "

Why do you think Otz gets at least four years and Marv got three?

On Marvunless, I say 99.5% of the fans hated his hire, and hated his schedule. On Otz, he will get 4, because of the mess, and DRF is her hire, can't fire him, unless next year he goes 10-22 like.

He really shouldn’t if there’s not a huge improvement but Marv was hired by TKM. It was easy for DRF to make a move and blame her predecessor for making a bad hire. Firing Otz after 3 years would require her to admit she made a huge mistake. Plus Marv’s buyout was tiny compared to the ridiculous buyout she gave TJO so she’d probably get fired herself at that point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT