ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Patrick McCaw and Stephen Zimmerman

Happy for these two Rebels! Will be routing for them to succeed in the NBA
McCaw's situation with the Warriors sounds really promising. Those guys share the ball really well, and he could thrive there. Plus, they'll love his defense, and be happy if he just does that.

The GM's quote is awesome:

“We don’t have a first-round pick next year,” Myers said. “We made that deal, and we were confident we would get somebody we liked. With McCaw there, our scouts loved him.”

CBSSports.com reported the Warriors paid $2.4 million to acquire McCaw.

“We bought the pick,” Myers said. “We expect him to be on the team. We expect him to sign a contract with us, and I think that’s what we’ll end up doing. We have good expectations of him. He’s a guy we had even higher than (No.) 30 on our board. Hopefully we were right. He’s got a way to go to be ready.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...-mccaw-stephen-zimmerman-drafted-second-round

The Warriors are going to be very happy with Patrick McCaw. They know that he will be a defensive asset, and as he ages and bulks up, his other skills will improve accordingly. What the scouting reports fail to mention, is what an extraordinarily good kid he is. He’s never been within a jump-shot’s distance of any kind of trouble. He’s a serious person, who will take the instructions given to him, and strive to learn the lessons.

Most players of Pat’s age have been treated like prima donnas ever since they first exhibited the skills which ultimately landed them in the enviable position in which they now sit. But McCaw never saw himself in that way, so he’s never developed the massive ego that most draftees possess. I relish watching his progression as an NBA player. I suspect that he will have an Augmon-like career.

Big Zimm is a very different story. He obviously possesses the physical attributes to be a solid pro. But the jury is out on whether he will be able to toughen-up enough to avoid being pushed around by the animals that patrol the lanes in the NBA. I certainly wish him all the best. But his short stint as a Rebel couldn’t be judged a success, by any measure. Think back to his recruitment and ultimate decision out of Bishop Gorman. He was projected to be a sure-fire lottery pick. Probably first or second in the draft. I know, he was injury-plagued, but even so, he fell so far, that he was lucky to be taken at all. He’s viewed as a “project” who might bulk-up enough to be a space-eater. Not where he expected to be a year ago.

So the best of luck to both of them, and here’s hoping that DJ Jr, Goodluck, and the others who chose to turn pro, find success. It all reflects positively for UNLV. Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Reactions: the Florian Trout
It says a lot what Golden State did to make sure they got McCaw. I think he'll do the best of all of Rice's Rebel players drafted in the NBA. He, Zimm, and DJ could've done much better staying another year but I can understand their motivations for going pro. Best of luck to them all.

If I'm McCaw I would be thinking (and not saying this out loud) "They feel that acquiring me and KD is what puts them back on top!" Then I would learn everything I could from KD, SC, CT, and of course Steve Kerr on how to practice, play, handle off court time and anything else.

I am excited for McCaw's immediate future

Reactions: LVKryptonite
McCaw has the chance to be an Avery Bradley, Cory Joseph type. Tough nose defense and selfless player with a decent scoring touch. He's got to put the work in though, nothing will be handed to him.

Big Zimm has signed with Orlando so they obviously liked what they saw during his Summer League play already. That's good to see, he's got a real shot on a young team to make his mark!

McCaw has the chance to be an Avery Bradley, Cory Joseph type. Tough nose defense and selfless player with a decent scoring touch. He's got to put the work in though, nothing will be handed to him.

28 points.

"...McCaw continues to show that he could actually play a role for the Warriors next season, dropping 28 points on 10-of-17 shooting with five threes.

McCaw was the 38th overall pick by the Warriors in the 2016 NBA Draft, with a good number of analysts saying it was a steal that he fell to Golden State. "People are gonna be sorry they didn't draft him," Warriors executive board member Jerry West said shortly after the draft."

Video highlights here: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/15...ck-mccaw-drop-28-on-raptors-at-summer-league/

Last edited:
Reactions: LVKryptonite
As I previously stated, I am of the opinion that Pat McCaw is going to have an NBA career that compares favorably to Stacy Augmon. His excellent work-ethic and lack of ego combined with his god-given physical attributes will serve him well over the next 15 years.

He will be an excellent asset for UNLV. Go Rebels!

So, from newer reports, it looks like McCaw will make the team and play a lot for the Warriors. Jones has a shot to make the team with Phoenix (?). What's the latest on Big Zimm?

6 NBA players now. Derrick Jones made Phoenix, Vaughan still at Milwaukee, Christian Wood made Charlotte roster, McCaw of course at Golden State, Zimm in Orlando, and Bennett in Brooklyn.

6 NBA players now. Derrick Jones made Phoenix, Vaughan still at Milwaukee, Christian Wood made Charlotte roster, McCaw of course at Golden State, Zimm in Orlando, and Bennett in Brooklyn.

Louis Amundson still playing. He's on the Knicks.

Joel Anthony on the Pistons.

Just saw some disturbing behavior from Rebel Girl on twitter insulting Big Zs mother. Made a mockery of rebel fans. We need to stand up to behavior like this.

That is why I have her blocked on both twitter and this site. She is a total embarrassment to all UNLV fans and alumni.

Just saw some disturbing behavior from Rebel Girl on twitter insulting Big Zs mother. Made a mockery of rebel fans. We need to stand up to behavior like this.
what disturbing behavior? I commented on a tweet by Ron Futrell that said UNLV not getting Troy Brown was bad for UNLV.
I said nothing wrong. I said he is a probable 1 & done like Zimm. Something Coach Menzies has said repeatedly he does not want to recruit for UNLV. When questioned why I said that I said I felt 1 & dones benefit the player more than the school. I simply critiqued Zimm's performance, saying he didn't play hard and in doing so would get pushed around under the basket, very similar to what TarkisGod said in this very thread. I was respectful and never made any personal attacks, as SlickMick did me here and on twitter. Anyone is free to review the thread. It is unfortunate that Zimm's mother is bothered by it but it is my opinion & one many share, and I entitled to it. I have always, as I did in the twitter thread, wished him nothing but the best. I have never here or on twitter made personal attacks on anyone and I won't be slandered.

Last edited:
That is why I have her blocked on both twitter and this site. She is a total embarrassment to all UNLV fans and alumni.
How am I a total embarrassment to UNLV FANS and Alumni. I've been a respectful member of this board since 2003. I represent UNLV very well by being a very sucessful business woman, being a Runnin' Rebel season ticket holder for over 25 years, making sizeable donations to both academic and athletic UNLV scholarships and I also lecture quite frequently to Hospitality and Gaming classes. Just because my opinion differs from yours does not give you the right to attack me personally. If you want to debate me on topic, fine but I have done plenty to proudly represent and support UNLV.

You seem to be forgetting your past disparaging tweets regarding both of us. You don't like him or me, that's fine. But how about moving on and celebrating the Rebels you do like and stop the negativity towards my son.

You seem to be forgetting your past disparaging tweets regarding both of us. You don't like him or me, that's fine. But how about moving on and celebrating the Rebels you do like and stop the negativity towards my son.
I have never made any disparaging tweets about either of you. I have no personal opinion about either of you, I don't know you. I have critiqued your son's game, that is all.Why are you not addressing TarkIsGod, he said almost exactly the same thing I said. I am entitled to my opinion and have been nothing but respectful and have wished your son success. I said in the twitter thread lets move on & I have.

I have never made any disparaging tweets about either of you. I have no personal opinion about either of you, I don't know you. I have critiqued your son's game, that is all.Why are you not addressing TarkIsGod, he said almost exactly the same thing I said. I am entitled to my opinion and have been nothing but respectful and have wished your son success. I said in the twitter thread lets move on & I have.

Obviously you have forgotten your tweets with negative and downright untrue statements you made when Dave was fired and since then. That's fine. I'm simply asking you to stop the negativity you seem to thrive on with my son and focus and the Rebels you do like. Shouldn't be too much to ask. And you are correct you don't know us and have no idea what Stephen went through, you just continue to bash him for your perception of his play. I have moved on, I haven't responded before but enough is enough. Negativity and bashing seems to be what brings happiness and that's a sad thing in the world today.

Look, I don't know what was said on Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, or whatever other social media outlet you guys have all chosen to put wayyyyy too much stock in. @Rebel Chi-girl is entitled to her opinion no matter how bad it seems to whomever she has it against. As well as @DVBballMom is well within her right to defend against the same. However, I will say that if your son is getting criticized, no matter how unwarranted it is, you better get used to it and get some thicker skin quickly. You know what I mean Mom. Also, If you choose to criticize Players or Ex-Players, do so at your own risk. I have no pig in this race, I like both of you, but if it aint gunna be civil, leave it off here. Personal attacks here are deleted. I will monitor this thread for the time being.

No personal attack on my side whatsoever. I've ignored her constant bashing and only asked her to move on and cheer for the players she sees value in. Every once in a while you get tired of someone bashing your kid and need to say something.

No personal attack on my side whatsoever. I've ignored her constant bashing and only asked her to move on and cheer for the players she sees value in. Every once in a while you get tired of someone bashing your kid and need to say something.

I agree and as such said so. You have a right to defend yourself and your family. I would never dream of taking that away.

Zimmerman going to the D League. Saw that coming a mile away. He was not ready for the big boys in the NBA. He got pushed around last year by guys 6'2". Will see if he can crawl out of the cellar. I am not confident that he can.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
He's already got his flight back. Just getting playing time in while they're on the road. Thanks for the concern!

No concern. Good players and those players that do not need extra help do not get sent down to the D league for PLAYING time! I understand, momma bear protecting her cub. I have my opinion and I call it how I see it. Until he proves me wrong then I am right. I wait patiently.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Man think if we still had Steven in the middle this season. Still don't understand how playing a couple garbage minutes here and there and some d league games would have been better than being the focal point of the team in your home town. Especially when he went 2nd rd and didn't get much guaranteed money. But as Steven told us "if you were in my position you would do the same thing" so we should just accept it right?Because no one has ever stayed an extra year to improve their game and their draft stock.

Man think if we still had Steven in the middle this season. Still don't understand how playing a couple garbage minutes here and there and some d league games would have been better than being the focal point of the team in your home town. Especially when he went 2nd rd and didn't get much guaranteed money. But as Steven told us "if you were in my position you would do the same thing" so we should just accept it right?Because no one has ever stayed an extra year to improve their game and their draft stock.
It doesn't matter the player or person we are talking about or even the circumstance. We all think people should do as think we would do. I think it's human nature to think that way. But we all come from different backgrounds and have different biases and priorities, values, etc. With a decision such as his, the variables that apply to him are probably going to be a different set from your own.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong really, only what's right to that person at that time. Personally, I think nearly every non Kobi/Lebron type "should" do two years in college. So much to learn. But I see the other side. There's money, there's potential injury if you stay (insurance for loss of future earnings is expensive, real schools can and do pay for it), etc.

I hate that the college game has come to this, I really do. But I cannot blame a kid for chasing that dream on his own terms. I'd hate to be told I couldn't/shouldn't take a high paying job that's been offered when I'm a sophomore in college. It's my life, my decision, I don't owe jack to UNLV or anyone else.

It's really easy to say "if I was in his shoes, I would have stayed another year an improved my stock". But we don't know the shoes, none of us do. Those shoes are filled with assumptions based on our own experiences and biases.

I wish all these kids well. The only time I don't care if they do poorly is when they screwed UNLV in some way, intentionally. Other than that, go get 'me, make your money.

It doesn't matter the player or person we are talking about or even the circumstance. We all think people should do as think we would do. I think it's human nature to think that way. But we all come from different backgrounds and have different biases and priorities, values, etc. With a decision such as his, the variables that apply to him are probably going to be a different set from your own.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong really, only what's right to that person at that time. Personally, I think nearly every non Kobi/Lebron type "should" do two years in college. So much to learn. But I see the other side. There's money, there's potential injury if you stay (insurance for loss of future earnings is expensive, real schools can and do pay for it), etc.

I hate that the college game has come to this, I really do. But I cannot blame a kid for chasing that dream on his own terms. I'd hate to be told I couldn't/shouldn't take a high paying job that's been offered when I'm a sophomore in college. It's my life, my decision, I don't owe jack to UNLV or anyone else.

It's really easy to say "if I was in his shoes, I would have stayed another year an improved my stock". But we don't know the shoes, none of us do. Those shoes are filled with assumptions based on our own experiences and biases.

I wish all these kids well. The only time I don't care if they do poorly is when they screwed UNLV in some way, intentionally. Other than that, go get 'me, make your money.

I understand what your saying. However its a completely different story when your a first round pick and you have 3 years guaranteed at over a million a year. Don't know the specifics of Zimmerman's contract but as a 2nd rd pick I cant imagine the kid would be guaranteed much after this season if he had a career ending injury. And then he made what? A few hundred thousand? A college degree is worth more than that in the long run.

I'm sorry I will never agree with Stevens decision to leave when he did after the way he played and it was clear to everyone he wasn't going to be a 1st rd pick. Leaving for money is a poor argument in this case because he could have moved into the first round next year and would make up for any money he didn't make this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT