ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread CSU - Rebels

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
This game will be the defining game of this stretch. I don't think we have enough in the tank for two upsets. That being said I don't think CSU has an answer for both Whaley and Boone IF they both play well. Could come down to one basket.

CSU - 68
Rebels - 67

This game will be the defining game of this stretch. I don't think we have enough in the tank for two upsets. That being said I don't think CSU has an answer for both Whaley and Boone IF they both play well. Could come down to one basket.

CSU - 68
Rebels - 67

CSU has slid since being vastly overrated. I think it’ll be tight the whole way but the Rebels will make enough plays in the last couple of minutes including free throws.

UNLV 73 CSU 71

Stevens and their center are the key to CSU win. Fouls or not fouling are the keys to Rebels win. Fatigue may set in at mile high altitudes as a factor. Overall, if Thomas, can get 9 assists we win.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Stevens is going to try to make DJ looks bad, bet on it. If he can get to 9 assists, I say Stevens failed.

Reactions: RebelScrub
If our boys keep playing with the same intensity, key players stay out of foul trouble, defend the 3 (much better than they did against USU), and shoot at least 70% FT, they can compete with any team in this conf with the possible exception of SDSU (but I’m no longer sure about that). They’re kinda due for a let down game given their history but I’m counting on CKK and his staff to keep these playing at the level expected of UNLV Basketball (bc that’s their job). Another strong showing may indicate that this staff has turned a corner with its own growth and approach.

63-57 CSU.

(I have been wrong on my predictions this season, let’s hope the trend continues.)

CSU - 68
Rebels - 67

Wow, we either have heart or we go out like bitches.

Bro, by 40…

CSU is looking for first blood. Damn it.

Based on how we've been playing in conference I say Rebs by 6 and scores in the high 70's. DJ's hip and Whaley's wind is only concern.

I got a Dofu link for the game. Godfather doesn’t want to watch sorry UNLV.

Dude, it’s those ugly retro Aggie orange colors. Yuck.

We are ditch stomping them. Waley > Hall.

I was gonna buy a Cartier watch back in the day. They retired the watch.

Who is better, Cartier or prime Ben Carter?

Dude what was he doing putting Webster in the game. He f’n sucks.

That’s a bullshit call on Boone to seal the deal for CSU.

Under Armour basketball shoes f’n suck.

**** u Rams. Thats a bullshit win to seal the deal.

Blew it... another conference game where we led majority of game and lose in 2nd half. Bad turnovers and offense late hurt

East Coast problems - It was past midnight - at halftime I feel asleep. I thought we would win the game.

I felt like we looked like the better team. I was again proud of the way they were executing and the effort. CSU was overrated earlier in the season when they were ranked so high, but still a very solid team. Their PG had an off game last night.

Webster - It happens in baseball too. Dude needs to learn how to breathe thru his ears. He is in his own head. I cringe when he gets the ball, I think he does inside a little too. HIs confidence it SHATTERED.

It sucks we lost, but ultimately It looks like we are still improving from week to week. Looks like we need some slight lineup adjustments and more discipline. The missed dunks by Ke Boone need to be addressed. Easy points squandered only to come back and bite you in the ass.

Our at large hopes are probably already laid to rest. Had we won the USU and CSU game - that would be a different story. I still like our chances this year in the MWCT. The parody thru out the MWC is actually kinda fun. 1-6 any team could win it all -

As long as they are improving - I will happily enjoy watching and cheer - They looked good last night.

East Coast problems - It was past midnight - at halftime I feel asleep. I thought we would win the game.

I felt like we looked like the better team. I was again proud of the way they were executing and the effort. CSU was overrated earlier in the season when they were ranked so high, but still a very solid team. Their PG had an off game last night.

Webster - It happens in baseball too. Dude needs to learn how to breathe thru his ears. He is in his own head. I cringe when he gets the ball, I think he does inside a little too. HIs confidence it SHATTERED.

It sucks we lost, but ultimately It looks like we are still improving from week to week. Looks like we need some slight lineup adjustments and more discipline. The missed dunks by Ke Boone need to be addressed. Easy points squandered only to come back and bite you in the ass.

Our at large hopes are probably already laid to rest. Had we won the USU and CSU game - that would be a different story. I still like our chances this year in the MWCT. The parody thru out the MWC is actually kinda fun. 1-6 any team could win it all -

As long as they are improving - I will happily enjoy watching and cheer - They looked good last night.
MWC is a very good basketball conference this year. The Rebs are almost there.

Reactions: unlove

I know people had hopes and started going to the metrics for chances at an at large, but they were always extreme long shots outside of nearly running the conference which isn’t realistic.

That people think our at large chances are “probably shot” … we are below 500 in conference and we are below 500 in non conference vs the games that actually count … again, outside of a 13 game win streak in there somewhere, they’ve been shot for quite a while.

I know people had hopes and started going to the metrics for chances at an at large, but they were always extreme long shots outside of nearly running the conference which isn’t realistic.

That people think our at large chances are “probably shot” … we are below 500 in conference and we are below 500 in non conference vs the games that actually count … again, outside of a 13 game win streak in there somewhere, they’ve been shot for quite a while.
Yeah, pull out the cheapies from our schedule under CKK and the W-L record isn’t very impressive. That’s what drives, rightfully, a desire to make a change after this season. I’m good with that provided the change is actually an upgrade, a serious upgrade, and not just another coach with a slightly better W-L record. If we make a change UNLV needs to make a statement with the hire that it is 100% committed to getting the program back into contention. Otherwise, I’d lean towards riding another year with CKK unless the team‘s progress completely unravels. Stability is important for this program given its coaching history over the last decade. The team has definitely improved this season. If it continues playing solid ball and cleans up its second half play, especially in the last 10 min., they have as good a shot as anyone in the conf (save SDSU) to win the MWCT, which in the end we all knew was going to be our shot at the Trny. CKK is in control of his own destiny. We’ll see how he and the team performs.

Yeah, pull out the cheapies from our schedule under CKK and the W-L record isn’t very impressive. That’s what drives, rightfully, a desire to make a change after this season. I’m good with that provided the change is actually an upgrade, a serious upgrade, and not just another coach with a slightly better W-L record. If we make a change UNLV needs to make a statement with the hire that it is 100% committed to getting the program back into contention. Otherwise, I’d lean towards riding another year with CKK unless the team‘s progress completely unravels. Stability is important for this program given its coaching history over the last decade. The team has definitely improved this season. If it continues playing solid ball and cleans up its second half play, especially in the last 10 min., they have as good a shot as anyone in the conf (save SDSU) to win the MWCT, which in the end we all knew was going to be our shot at the Trny. CKK is in control of his own destiny. We’ll see how he and the team performs.
It’s not even pulling out the cheapies, really. A cheapie could be considered low quad 4’s …. They count. They’re not impressive but they count.

But when evaluating, why evaluate it differently than the committees and metric systems evaluate it? These non-D1 victories have some value, in early season, as exhibitions, getting used to each other - and they help with skewing perspective. They simply do not count but people tend to rely on one thing - win/loss record. A completely ignorant way to see things and quite frankly, a desperate way to present a case.

I think there’s something to be said about the past coaching changes, the scars of firing Rice and the debacle that followed. I think that’s why there’s so much hopium about making the NIT, people just don’t want to go through it again. I understand, but I also understand we have different leadership and there’s a lot of (proven)coaches that have won elsewhere that will be available to unlv.

The NIT talk is pointless, we won’t get in as of today, tomorrow, next week. That discussion is a long ways off. Right now, unlv should be concerned about Air Force and not playing down to their level.

Crazy to think that Air Force is a must win game, in the middle of January.

It’s not even pulling out the cheapies, really. A cheapie could be considered low quad 4’s …. They count. They’re not impressive but they count.

But when evaluating, why evaluate it differently than the committees and metric systems evaluate it? These non-D1 victories have some value, in early season, as exhibitions, getting used to each other - and they help with skewing perspective. They simply do not count but people tend to rely on one thing - win/loss record. A completely ignorant way to see things and quite frankly, a desperate way to present a case.
Agreed. Definitely have to dive deeper into the team’s performance and the job done by the coach and his staff. Cuts both ways as well. UNLV may have an unimpressive W-L record at the end of this season but if they showed solid and continued improvement, competed in every conf game but come up just short by a few close losses (and one stolen by the refs) and lose in the MWCT championship game, that’s a much different script then previous seasons where they fall apart in conf and it needs to be taken into account in evaluating whether to fire or continue with Kevin (along with a number of other variables). Likewise, if this team performs ok in conf from a W-L perspective but isn’t making noticeable improvements that needs to reflect directly on the coach.

Agreed. Definitely have to dive deeper into the team’s performance and the job done by the coach and his staff. Cuts both ways as well. UNLV may have an unimpressive W-L record at the end of this season but if they showed solid and continued improvement, competed in every conf game but come up just short by a few close losses (and one stolen by the refs) and lose in the MWCT championship game, that’s a much different script then previous seasons where they fall apart in conf and it needs to be taken into account in evaluating whether to fire or continue with Kevin (along with a number of other variables). Likewise, if this team performs ok in conf from a W-L perspective but isn’t making noticeable improvements that needs to reflect directly on the coach.
How can the team have an unimpressive won loss record and show improvement?

There are a few jobs that success is measured by absolutes. Sales can me measured directly - either you are selling or not. I think coaching is another one of those jobs. Either you win or not. I think we can delude ourselves when we start talking about how "hard" the team plays or we only lost 5 games by a few points each.

Improvement will be shown with wins or losses.

How can the team have an unimpressive won loss record and show improvement?

There are a few jobs that success is measured by absolutes. Sales can me measured directly - either you are selling or not. I think coaching is another one of those jobs. Either you win or not. I think we can delude ourselves when we start talking about how "hard" the team plays or we only lost 5 games by a few points each.

Improvement will be shown with wins or losses.
UNLV hired a young coach. Young coaches are gonna take time to make mistakes, mature and grow into the role. I’d suggest that UNLV would have been much better off if we stuck it out with Rice compared with how it’s performed over the subsequent coaching carousel. That’s obviously influenced by who UNLV hired after Rice, but the point is that Kevin is similarly situated from a coaching growth perspective. We should expect mistakes, ups and downs, but over time we need to see improvement. Has the team improved this year? Well, over the last 4-5 games I’d say yes. Is it enough to indicate that Kevin will continue to improve the team and the program? Not in my opinion. But if Kevin shows that he has some coaching chops this season and the team shows improvement throughout, that should be taken into account, even if UNLV finishes in the middle of the MWC standings. That’s one of the points I was making in responding to and agreeing with Joe’s post.

Lack of a pure scorer is going to be CKK downfall . We have A few nice pieces (roleplayers).We have been horrible in late game situations, because of it. Who gets the ball when we need a big bucket? No goto guy. Unfortunately our Freshman PG as good as he has been is not the answer. 0-2 or 0-3 in late game situations. No true bigman also.

Last edited:
Yup. The argument about a young coach giving him time is a faulty argument at this point. Had Kevin tried to build by youth and create a young core we mightve bought off on it. Instead he tried to rally around Bryce and Harkless with a bunch of flashy transfers who as a group didn't pan out. He ran off his young talent because he didn't play them or trust them and we're left with a core that comprises inconsistent shooters and scorers. That's why we're all hoping Whaley and Hicks stick around because otherwise we're left with another offseason replacing 9 or 10 guys and hoping there's a 15-20ppg scorer hidden in a P5 transfer...

Lack of a pure scorer is going to be CKK downfall . We have A few nice pieces (roleplayers).We have been horrible in late game situations, because of it. Who gets the ball when we need a big bucket? No goto guy. Unfortunately our Freshman PG as good as he has been is not the answer. 0-2 or 0-3 in late game situations. No true bigman also.
He had two bailout ballers the past two years, yet we are still similar without one … I agree though, with this team, you have a Hamilton or Harkless and you are top 3 in league.

But recruiting players is easier than ever … they don’t have to sit, those that are leaving are looking for a decent NIL and playing time.

When I say easier, its still comes with so
thorns though.

He knew what we had and he knew we didn’t have a 15+ guy in the backcourt.

Think of this? DTJ doesn’t get the grades to skip a grade? Where’s the team now? 4-10?

Reactions: UNLVbro
Think of this? DTJ doesn’t get the grades to skip a grade? Where’s the team now? 4-10?

That’s a scary thought, but also one of the problems with the team is that we have zero PG backup so CKK is running DJ into the ground.

He’s been gimpy at times, and I think we should manage his time to avoid any further setbacks. I also think Hicks deserves more PT, he’s shined when he is given time but CKK doesn’t like playing freshman unless they are DJT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT