ADVERTISEMENT

Active shooter at UNLV??

Wow. I guess it was just a question of when and not if. Hope they caught or shot the guy.

How can anyone care about a basketball game tonight? There’s an active shooting going on. People on this board have family members, friends, and maybe even themselves at UNLV right now. Do you think they care about the game tonight?

Glad the game was cancelled. It had to be. I was afraid for a minute that it would still go on so thats why I asked. All of the Dayton officials are saying the right things too. Sad times.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
What goes through people's heads when they decide to do this crap?! I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. You feel sad and terrible for the victims and their families and anybody on campus that had to live through it. At the same time you just got to be angry with the stupid shooter or shooters.

What goes through people's heads when they decide to do this crap?! I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish. You feel sad and terrible for the victims and their families and anybody on campus that had to live through it. At the same time you just got to be angry with the stupid shooter or shooters.
It's impossible for a sane person to understand the reasoning of a psychotic.

Thank god it wasn't more people killed.. or more than one shooter ...

Between this and the 2 police officers killed last week.... shit feels heavy right now and I feel for the police that have had to go through it all... hopefully they are doing okay.

I posted this on Confidential Board earlier.

This post is in no way a political statement.

Emotions are high right now.

This is a horrific tragedy.

I am posting this merely as information because there is going to be a lot of rhetoric as a result of this tragedy.

We are going to see people say things like 'It's easier to buy a gun than get a driver's lisence talk' over the next few days.

I am not here to argue gun laws only provide people with what laws are in place. So they are informed.

To purchase a firearm in the State of Nevada:

You must fill out a 4473. The 4473 is a Federal form. This is a portion of the background check. You will answer questions that can immediately disqualify you from purchasing a fire arm. This form has to be filled out to legally purchase a firearm. A background check is then run with the department of public safety. A drivers lisence or state ID is required to run background. The background check covers local state and federal. Your driver's lisence number is used to do the background check.

These are some, not a complete list, of things that would disqualify you from purchasing a firearm.

You must be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. If you are under 21 there is an automatic 10 day delay in Nevada on the background check. At the ages of 18-20 you can only purchase rifles or shotguns, you cannot purchase a handgun and or a lower receiver. (Housing portion of firearm where fire control unit goes. Triggers pins etc.)

Must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

You cannot be a resident of another state and purchase a handgun. You can however purchase a rifle. The 10 day automatic delay for under 21 still applies.
Again not here to debate merits of that law.

A felony will disqualify you.

A misdemeanor of domestic violence will disqualify.

An active restraining order against you will disqualify you.

A dishonorable discharge will disqualify you.

Any outstanding tickets or warrants will disqualify you. There is a caveat here. An unpaid parking ticket will likely get you an unresolved status. A gun store CAN release a firearm under an UNRESOLVED STATUS but most will not. A bench warrant for tickets will disqualify.

A suspended lisence will disqualify you.

If you were court ordered (not voluntarily admitted) into a mental institution you will be disqualified.

You cannot be a user of Marijuana. Even if it is prescribed.

A DUI within I believe the last 7 years (I need to check that) will disqualify you.

Unpaid child support will either disqualify or potentially render an unresolved. I need to confirm this one as well.

In regards to firearms and online sales.

Anything serialized (All firearms require a serial number) must be sent to a firearm dealer and background check must be filled out as stated above. It cannot be sent to a residence or private business legally.

If you purchase a firearm, that background check is good for that day/transaction. If you return the next day you must fill out another background check. You can however purchase multiple firearms on one transaction. This results in firearm store filling out another form called a 3310 which is given to the ATF.

If you have a Concealed weapons permit you must fill out the 4473 but no background is run. Reason for that is if you do anything that would disqualify you purchasing a firearm the CCW permit is confiscated immediately.

There are other disqualifiers but those are the main ones.

Again not a political statement. Not here to debate the merits of the laws. Just providing context.

I get people are angry and rightfully. I also feel people should be informed.

I think it's important also to remember I am discussing legally obtaining a firearm. A dealer who does not perform a background check is breaking the law.

If people have any questions feel free to ask.

I posted this on Confidential Board earlier.

This post is in no way a political statement.

Emotions are high right now.

This is a horrific tragedy.

I am posting this merely as information because there is going to be a lot of rhetoric as a result of this tragedy.

We are going to see people say things like 'It's easier to buy a gun than get a driver's lisence talk' over the next few days.

I am not here to argue gun laws only provide people with what laws are in place. So they are informed.

To purchase a firearm in the State of Nevada:

You must fill out a 4473. The 4473 is a Federal form. This is a portion of the background check. You will answer questions that can immediately disqualify you from purchasing a fire arm. This form has to be filled out to legally purchase a firearm. A background check is then run with the department of public safety. A drivers lisence or state ID is required to run background. The background check covers local state and federal. Your driver's lisence number is used to do the background check.

These are some, not a complete list, of things that would disqualify you from purchasing a firearm.

You must be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. If you are under 21 there is an automatic 10 day delay in Nevada on the background check. At the ages of 18-20 you can only purchase rifles or shotguns, you cannot purchase a handgun and or a lower receiver. (Housing portion of firearm where fire control unit goes. Triggers pins etc.)

Must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

You cannot be a resident of another state and purchase a handgun. You can however purchase a rifle. The 10 day automatic delay for under 21 still applies.
Again not here to debate merits of that law.

A felony will disqualify you.

A misdemeanor of domestic violence will disqualify.

An active restraining order against you will disqualify you.

A dishonorable discharge will disqualify you.

Any outstanding tickets or warrants will disqualify you. There is a caveat here. An unpaid parking ticket will likely get you an unresolved status. A gun store CAN release a firearm under an UNRESOLVED STATUS but most will not. A bench warrant for tickets will disqualify.

A suspended lisence will disqualify you.

If you were court ordered (not voluntarily admitted) into a mental institution you will be disqualified.

You cannot be a user of Marijuana. Even if it is prescribed.

A DUI within I believe the last 7 years (I need to check that) will disqualify you.

Unpaid child support will either disqualify or potentially render an unresolved. I need to confirm this one as well.

In regards to firearms and online sales.

Anything serialized (All firearms require a serial number) must be sent to a firearm dealer and background check must be filled out as stated above. It cannot be sent to a residence or private business legally.

If you purchase a firearm, that background check is good for that day/transaction. If you return the next day you must fill out another background check. You can however purchase multiple firearms on one transaction. This results in firearm store filling out another form called a 3310 which is given to the ATF.

If you have a Concealed weapons permit you must fill out the 4473 but no background is run. Reason for that is if you do anything that would disqualify you purchasing a firearm the CCW permit is confiscated immediately.

There are other disqualifiers but those are the main ones.

Again not a political statement. Not here to debate the merits of the laws. Just providing context.

I get people are angry and rightfully. I also feel people should be informed.

I think it's important also to remember I am discussing legally obtaining a firearm. A dealer who does not perform a background check is breaking the law.

If people have any questions feel free to ask.
The main issue I’ve always had is, whenever there’s a shooting, the anti gun people always blame the gun and not the person, but when someone is DUI and they kill someone, why don’t they ever blame the car?

The main issue I’ve always had is, whenever there’s a shooting, the anti gun people always blame the gun and not the person, but when someone is DUI and they kill someone, why don’t they ever blame the car?

I'm not going to go down any rabbit holes on this topic.

I just wanted to provide people context.

That's in no way me trying to be a jerk or dismiss your point.

I just don't want to engage in a debate with people.

A lot of people will advocate for gun control and laws and not realize a lot of the things they are advocating for are already in place.

I am safe. I was gonna go eat at House of Commons today but slept in.

Holy freakin’ crap.

Was the shooter..white, black, Latino, Asian?

Yo, I’m not going out.

Yo I was hellbent on getting Roberto’s but the entire street was shut off.

So I ate at this place where the food sucked. Not enough eggs..

Looks like victims were faculty / staff, I am just another heartbroken Rebel.
ironically he got his master’s at Duke.
Yup. A sad day. Sad for my school. Sad for the victims and families. Sad for the students who had to witness and feel the experience. But, I know we will pull together and we will overcome this tragedy.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Like he retired to LV, lost his life savings at Cheetah’s, Eastside Cannery, Sunset Station and Dottie’s and needed income so went looking for a job at UNLV?
This may be pretty accurate. I read a Facebook post of some of his former students who say he was obsessed with Las Vegas and all he would ever talk about during class was about his trips to Vegas.

Like he retired to LV, lost his life savings at Cheetah’s, Eastside Cannery, Sunset Station and Dottie’s and needed income so went looking for a job at UNLV?
I wouldn't doubt any story that comes out these days. What in the world would move a professor to decide 'today I'm going to kill some faculty members'?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT