ADVERTISEMENT

Final Timeout Call

A complete collapse when it counts. I wonder if me writing something positive a few minutes before the end of the game was bad karma?

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Didn’t that cost us another game, too?
I think so.

My thinking is they are getting the ball to the guy they want to run the play. Make him think about it, force it, maybe have to give it up too early and it diffuses the set play.

Of course, that can leave you vulnerable elsewhere in the court.

But USU did the same with Dedan. They didn’t slow him. And he got a great look, it just didn’t drop.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
We called our finally timeout right after they hit the 3 and we fouled then. Which is a fine timeout. In the huddle you draw up your final play, we knew we weren’t going to be down 3. It was either up 1, tied or down 1.

You tell the guys in the huddle obviously if he misses both we box out and make our free throws. If he ties it or takes the lead here is our play we are running.

We had a play for the last shot of the game. Dedan just didn’t knock it down.

Tough on a freshman. I remember Anderson Hunt not executing in the final seconds a couple times as a freshman. Hope it turns out for DJ as it did for Hunt for UNLV’s sake.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Tough on a freshman. I remember Anderson Hunt not executing in the final seconds a couple times as a freshman. Hope it turns out for DJ as it did for Hunt for UNLV’s sake.
It will, DJ is a baller, he will be fine!
Imagine if Harkless was in the lineup with DJ, there would have been a go to guy who could score on all three levels by creating space, all DJ would have had to do is pass the rock!

It will, DJ is a baller, he will be fine!
Imagine if Harkless was in the lineup with DJ, there would have been a go to guy who could score on all three levels by creating space, all DJ would have had to do is pass the rock!
Will be fine..yes ..wind up a star elsewhere ..not sticking around .. ckk after being tossed will not.. mwc tourney champion or bust at this point ...all other games meaningless at this point..

On ball defense is the answer. Brooklyn is the answer until he is not. Not enough minutes to prove he can't play. JJ is willing but too small. USU drives to basket and he allows it. Then they drop ball to Osofor in the key for a jump hook. They did this at least 6 times. Number 4 lit him up too in the first half. Then in the 2d half, JJ missed about 5 in a row and Brooklyn or someone else does not get the ball. Great effort by everyone on the team but defensive ability needs to show up on tape. Lu Rod was great on the ball and in rebounding.

Will be fine..yes ..wind up a star elsewhere ..not sticking around .. ckk after being tossed will not.. mwc tourney champion or bust at this point ...all other games meaningless at this point..
I think fighting for a top 5 spot in conference makes the other games … you say mwct champ or bust at this point (which i agree with) … so best chance at mwct champ is not playing on day 1 (having to win 3 games instead of 4).

That in itself makes the remaining games meaningful. Once we hit x amount of losses, then the remaining games are meaningless.

It’s a really awful new goal, new normal - let’s go out and do this, letz’e finish top 5 in conference! - but it’s the program we have become and it’s become a pretty accepted line of success for our fans (some, certainly not all).

Now can we finish top 5? We’ve seen 3 of what is supposedly all top 5/top 6 teams. Did SDSU and USU appear like strong teams? UNM is more flawed than UNLV (don’t defend and can’t shoot). So there are a couple of other teams, UNR, CSU, Boise …. They are in that similar neighborhood as the others I mentioned, all very beatable. The conference tops are going to be smushed together, it’s going to be very competitive, there won’t be 2/3 loss top teams. Everyone is going to beat up on each other.

".all other games meaningless at this point.."

The players should play like savages no matter what the overall meaning of the game becomes. First, they are still playing for an at-large bid. Second, if that's impossible then they play for a bye in Conference. Last, if that slips away then they play as a spoiler to stick it to other teams so they can also enjoy some pain.

But for a fan, the number of losses to look for are "5" and "8". 5 conference losses or less gives us a chance at an at large bid when you compare what our record would be to past "last in" teams. If we lose more than 5, then 8 conference losses becomes the immediate goal. Traditionally a 10-8 Conference record gets you a first day bye.

Last edited:
".all other games meaningless at this point.."

The players should play like savages no matter what the overall meaning if the game becomes. First, they are still playing for an at-large bid. Second, if that's impossible then they play for a bye in Conference. Last, if that slips away then they play as a spoiler to stick it to other teams so they can also enjoy some pain.

But for a fan, the number of losses to look for are "5" and "8". 5 conference losses or less gives us a chance at an at large bid when you compare what our record would be to past "last in" teams. If we lose more than 5, then 8 conference losses becomes the immediate goal. Traditionally a 10-8 Conference record gets you a first day bye.
This is a helpful breakdown of what to look for as a fan. After yesterday’s game, I’m trying to find something clear to focus on. This helps a lot. Thank you!

Reactions: WarthogRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT