ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming vs UNLV spread.

You obviously know nothing about Wyoming. It has some of, if not the best facilities in the MWC.

Wyoming has good facilities now. Its was a general statement about UNLV failing to compete with programs that face similar issues or issues of their own. I should have clarified more. Wyoming's facilities were finished in 2018? So they are still new. And an upgrade over what they had in the past which were in line with most schools in the MWC.

Wyoming faces the problem of population density with recruiting.

Laramie is a tough place to recruit to.
It does not have a large population base which in turn means there isn't a ton of in state or local talent to pick from.

Add in Utah/BYU and USU eating up a lot of the nearby Utah talent. Same with Colorado and CSU gobbling up a lot of that state. The Pokes have it tough.

UNLV has Southern California and Arizona right next door. They do have to compete with a number of P5 schools, but there are a lot more players available. And that's not even acccounting for Las Vegas, which has a number of solid HS football programs and is one of the larger school districts in the country.

Wyoming's travel is also difficult and more costly when it comes to recruiting. Its a lot cheaper for a staff to jump on a flight out of Vegas and go recruit than for Wyoming.

Hawaii has brutal travel. Facilities aren't great, and a very tight budget. Part of the reason they get a 13th game to offset costs

San Jose has poor facilities an outdated stadium and tight budget..

Last edited:
I think Wyoming is gonna force him to pass the ball more because their defense is really good at stopping the run.

They will.

If he is unable to at least keep the defense honest, it probably looks like a lot of UNLV games, Rebs stay close, defense wears down Rebs lose by double digits.

They will.

If he is unable to at least keep the defense honest, it probably looks like a lot of UNLV games, Rebs stay close, defense wears down Rebs lose by double digits.
Looks like it will be pretty windy in Laramie on Saturday. Would think this will make throwing even tougher than it already is for us.

Same goes for WYO.

Wyoming has good facilities now. Its was a general statement about UNLV failing to compete with programs that face similar issues or issues of their own. I should have clarified more. Wyoming's facilities were finished in 2018? So they are still new. And an upgrade over what they had in the past which were in line with most schools in the MWC.

Wyoming faces the problem of population density with recruiting.

Laramie is a tough place to recruit to.
It does not have a large population base which in turn means there isn't a ton of in state or local talent to pick from.

Add in Utah/BYU and USU eating up a lot of the nearby Utah talent. Same with Colorado and CSU gobbling up a lot of that state. The Pokes have it tough.

UNLV has Southern California and Arizona right next door. They do have to compete with a number of P5 schools, but there are a lot more players available. And that's not even acccounting for Las Vegas, which has a number of solid HS football programs and is one of the larger school districts in the country.

Wyoming's travel is also difficult and more costly when it comes to recruiting. Its a lot cheaper for a staff to jump on a flight out of Vegas and go recruit than for Wyoming.

Hawaii has brutal travel. Facilities aren't great, and a very tight budget. Part of the reason they get a 13th game to offset costs

San Jose has poor facilities an outdated stadium and tight budget..
Wyoming has been in a continual process of facility improvement for the past 10 years or so. We've built an indoor practice facility, the High Altitude Performance Center, the Wildcatter Suites, up graded the basketball facilities, women's facilities, etc. That's just the athletic facilities. There's been several projects that have improved many of UW's academic and infrastructure facilities and now they are planning to build new dorms. When you are the State's only university in an energy-rich state. Things get done.

As to recruiting, Coach Bohl and his staff concentrate on what he calls "The Wyoming Profile" and recruit players that will fit his profile. They must not be doing too bad we've got two players that are sons of former NFL players, several from California, the Midwest, and of course Wyoming and Colorado.

Sure, there's a several of the challenges that you mentioned, but we're not using them as an excuse not to try and build a premier program.

Wyoming has been in a continual process of facility improvement for the past 10 years or so. We've built an indoor practice facility, the High Altitude Performance Center, the Wildcatter Suites, up graded the basketball facilities, women's facilities, etc. That's just the athletic facilities. There's been several projects that have improved many of UW's academic and infrastructure facilities and now they are planning to build new dorms. When you are the State's only university in an energy-rich state. Things get done.

As to recruiting, Coach Bohl and his staff concentrate on what he calls "The Wyoming Profile" and recruit players that will fit his profile. They must not be doing too bad we've got two players that are sons of former NFL players, several from California, the Midwest, and of course Wyoming and Colorado.

Sure, there's a several of the challenges that you mentioned, but we're not using them as an excuse not to try and build a premier program.

The point of the initial post was that other schools in the conference are finding ways to get it done or at the very least be competitive, despite similar hurdles or hurdles of their own.

It was a condemnation of UNLV's administration. They have failed to figure out any ways to improve the status of football over the last 20+ years. Every four or five years they slap a bandaid on it by naming a new head coach, and hope this one sticks.

Wyoming and its current staff have things figured out. They have a plan, they stick to it.

Considering some of the limitations brought on that I mentioned, they do a good job at remaining competitive.

Last edited:
At the moment, I would take Wyo's win over a bigger better team in Mizzou earlier this year, a win like that would give fans a little hope all year long. As a result of that win, they have to feel like they can be competitive with most if not all MWC teams and because of that win, they are 1 closer to bowl eligibility too! Wyo has things going in the right direction.. more good seasons than bad, facilities and they know who they are and recruit to that. I wish UNLV had that kind of foundation in all phases of the football program.

At the moment, I would take Wyo's win over a bigger better team in Mizzou earlier this year, a win like that would give fans a little hope all year long. As a result of that win, they have to feel like they can be competitive with most if not all MWC teams and because of that win, they are 1 closer to bowl eligibility too! Wyo has things going in the right direction.. more good seasons than bad, facilities and they know who they are and recruit to that. I wish UNLV had that kind of foundation in all phases of the football program.

Precisely.

As soon as UNLV is officially out of playoff format Sanchez should resign. No more excuses. New coach could come in full steam ahead.

As soon as UNLV is officially out of playoff format Sanchez should resign. No more excuses. New coach could come in full steam ahead.

He won't.

And I don't think there will be an in season firing, unless things go extremely south.

There's no real gain in firing him.

My guess, inquiries have already started.

I hope we don't have to find out though..

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Why do people always say this? It's one of the dumbest things I've heard. No coach should retire mid-season. Force them to fire you, get full pay.

".. if he really cared about the program or his kids he'd do the honorable thing and just step down and make things easier for everyone.. " You didn't say that, but it's a common argument when somebody says a coach should just resign. And that is ludicrous. Coaches work hard to get a contract that secures their future, they'd be a fool to voluntarily give it up. Don't ask somebody else to do something that you wouldn't consider doing.

I get the emotion attached as a fan, but man, oh man.

Why do people always say this? It's one of the dumbest things I've heard. No coach should retire mid-season. Force them to fire you, get full pay.

".. if he really cared about the program or his kids he'd do the honorable thing and just step down and make things easier for everyone.. " You didn't say that, but it's a common argument when somebody says a coach should just resign. And that is ludicrous. Coaches work hard to get a contract that secures their future, they'd be a fool to voluntarily give it up. Don't ask somebody else to do something that you wouldn't consider doing.

I get the emotion attached as a fan, but man, oh man.

If there were some type of scandal around the team, maybe then..

But not for subpar results..

Well, sure.

But I don’t know anybody in their right mind that would say - I’m going to do the honorable thing and step down, to hell with the 250k. It’s just not very real world.
I get all what u say, but this is so tiresome. Looking to get off to a good start next year. We r pretty far away from competing in the MWC. We r going to waste a whole year in the new stadium with very little IMPACT change. I know no one will give up that money.

The thing is, Armani doesn't have to throw for a ton of yards for the Rebel offense to put up points and move the ball. He just has to be more efficient. If he's 10-15 for 150 its enough. His ability to run, plus Charles Williams will make up the difference.

If Rogers is 10-15 then I agree that is good enough. But it is unlikely.

The thing is, in the 19 games Rogers has played in 3 seasons, he has only completed over 65% of his passes one time (in '17 in a win against SJSU he was 11-16 for 203 yards).

When Rogers completes 62% or better UNLV has gone 4-0. Those wins were against Idaho, SJSU, UNR, and Southern Utah.

In the other 4 wins Rogers has played in he has gone 13-25 (52% UNM), 6-13 (46.2% UTEP), 11-21 (52.4% Prarie View), and he left a Hawaii game early after completing only 2 passes.

In his 11 losses there have been only a few "good" passing performances, where he reached your 150 yard threshold, and they were all his freshman season:
11-19 (57.9%) 220 yards against Howard
12-27 (44.4%) 177 yards SDSU
12-23 (52.2%) 160 yards UNR

Rogers freshman year started with promising numbers. He was 57.9% or better in his first 4 games and had 177 or more yards in 4 of his first 5 games.

After that he turned into Nick Sherry, as far as passing.

If Rogers is 10-15 then I agree that is good enough. But it is unlikely.

The thing is, in the 19 games Rogers has played in 3 seasons, he has only completed over 65% of his passes one time (in '17 in a win against SJSU he was 11-16 for 203 yards).

When Rogers completes 62% or better UNLV has gone 4-0. Those wins were against Idaho, SJSU, UNR, and Southern Utah.

In the other 4 wins Rogers has played in he has gone 13-25 (52% UNM), 6-13 (46.2% UTEP), 11-21 (52.4% Prarie View), and he left a Hawaii game early after completing only 2 passes.

In his 11 losses there have been only a few "good" passing performances, where he reached your 150 yard threshold, and they were all his freshman season:
11-19 (57.9%) 220 yards against Howard
12-27 (44.4%) 177 yards SDSU
12-23 (52.2%) 160 yards UNR

Rogers freshman year started with promising numbers. He was 57.9% or better in his first 4 games and had 177 or more yards in 4 of his first 5 games.

After that he turned into Nick Sherry, as far as passing.

He seems to have regressed..

He seems to have regressed..

I have been one of Tony Sanchez' biggest believers (and I was one of Hauck's also) but I do see that he is either "loyal to a fault" or "too stubborn to make changes".

I'm not talking about Armani Rogers. AR is one of the best athletes in the MWC. He should be starting. But he should be developing and improving.

Rogers has needed more coaching than he's gotten since arriving nearly 3.5 years ago. He has been "mentored" by Ron O'Dell, who came to UNLV with CTS from Gorman HS.

CTS stuck with DC Baer longer than he should have, but Baer was owed a debt of loyalty for coming to coach under a HC with no college experience when Baer had a P5 resume.

Sanchez has had opportunities to add more mentoring for Armani. Caleb Herring is already an employee of the football program. Sanchez has Randal Cunningham's phone number since he coached his son. Last season the NCAA increased football staff size by 1 assistant. Nope, not a QB mentor. This year, OL coach also became OC. The open position was filled with an entry-level TE coach. But most of all, Sanchez had the opportunity to just directly replace O'Dell, who has had poor results at his position year after year. Nope.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT