ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup!

1Tripoda

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2009
Greatest sport spectacle in the world. USA beat Iran and advance to the next round against Netherland. The USA is an underdog not because of their abilities because of the youth of the team....

I thought the USA had a good chance of making a run. They are pretty young overall but have tons of talent, especially in the midfield. Musah is blossoming into a very good player, potentially elite. The Netherlands will be an interesting matchup for us....can Greg Berhalter go toe-to-toe with Louis van Gaal?

I really enjoy the World Cup. After missing it in 2018, I'm glad we made it out of the group stage. Dont have too high of expectations from here on out, but this is an accomplishment in itself. We have great young talent coming up and I expect 2026 will be much better

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
brazil flag GIF
Independence Day Usa GIF by CBS

I think the U.S. matches up pretty well with the Dutch. Van Dijk isn't the same lock down defender he used to be and the Netherlands aren't overly athletic. They've honestly looked a little slow and didn't dominate any of their games. Not saying we'll win, but we can.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
USA advances and Mexico doesn't. I'd have lost a ton of money if someone bet me that.
Haha. I love it. Honestly, Mexico wasn't that good in qualifying and I didn't expect much from them. I'm surprised how poorly Canada did though. Tomorrow has some fun games too. Germany needs to win to make it through and Japan could surprise Spain like they did with Germany. Unlikely but you never know

Sure hope Pulisic is close to healed up. Should be an interesting game for my father-in-law. He emigrated from Netherlands in the late 50's, so it'll be his native homeland vs his adopted homeland. I think he'll be rooting for USA. No question who my wifes cousins, who are still over there, will be rooting for. Hoping our guys give us a reason for some overseas ribbing. After watching them vs Senegal, I think we've got a chance.

Sure hope Pulisic is close to healed up. Should be an interesting game for my father-in-law. He emigrated from Netherlands in the late 50's, so it'll be his native homeland vs his adopted homeland. I think he'll be rooting for USA. No question who my wifes cousins, who are still over there, will be rooting for. Hoping our guys give us a reason for some overseas ribbing. After watching them vs Senegal, I think we've got a chance.
Hard to say. We have a pretty solid defense typically, but we need to figure out a way to score also. If Pulisic isn't healthy, that definitely gets tougher.

That unexpected on how Saudi Arabia took out Mexico. What a fu(cking way to go out.
Yesterday Mexico beat Saudi Arabia 2-1, Agentina beat Poland 2-0

Saudi's scored their goal in extra time. my understanding and I may be mistaken is if both games ended 2-0. Poland would have advanced because the next tie breaker they were tied in a lot of things was "fair play" and since Mexico had more yellow cards than Poland, Poland would have advanced. So for Mexico to advance they needed to score one more to make it 3-0 or if it ended 2-0 needed to have Agentina beat Poland 3-0, to give Mexico the edge in goal differential.

Crazy

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Haha. I love it. Honestly, Mexico wasn't that good in qualifying and I didn't expect much from them. I'm surprised how poorly Canada did though. Tomorrow has some fun games too. Germany needs to win to make it through and Japan could surprise Spain like they did with Germany. Unlikely but you never know
Mexico are like the biggest underachievers ever in the soccer universe.

freakin’ Japan upsetting Spain. That was freakin awesome!!

USA has nice defense and midfielders but just doesn’t have the world class striker element to compete moving forward. Remember 2 total goals in the group stage of 3 games. That’s not good. It’s nice experience for the squad heading towards 2026.

They need to play Gio Reyna if they want to score more. I don’t know why Berhalter is being such a donkey about it. He is easily one of our top 2-3 players and the player with the highest ceiling on our team.
Agreed. I don't know what the issue is with him, but he's been one to leave guys off due to personal issues with them. We need to have the best guys on the field to win the game, and he's one of the top US players. He needs more minutes!

Yesterday Mexico beat Saudi Arabia 2-1, Agentina beat Poland 2-0

Saudi's scored their goal in extra time. my understanding and I may be mistaken is if both games ended 2-0. Poland would have advanced because the next tie breaker they were tied in a lot of things was "fair play" and since Mexico had more yellow cards than Poland, Poland would have advanced. So for Mexico to advance they needed to score one more to make it 3-0 or if it ended 2-0 needed to have Agentina beat Poland 3-0, to give Mexico the edge in goal differential.

Crazy

I am not a moderator but I demand this thread be closed if the US is ousted by some silly
European country or one from South America with the GDP of Rhode Island.

They need to play Gio Reyna if they want to score more. I don’t know why Berhalter is being such a donkey about it. He is easily one of our top 2-3 players and the player with the highest ceiling on our team.
I agree as well, this one is a total head scratcher to me. Gio is arguably our most skilled player and so far he's played what, 10 minutes. I thought he might start against Iran because the Iranian defenders get beat off the dribble fairly easily and Reyna is our most skilled dribbler. We will probably need him tomorrow.

I agree as well, this one is a total head scratcher to me. Gio is arguably our most skilled player and so far he's played what, 10 minutes. I thought he might start against Iran because the Iranian defenders get beat off the dribble fairly easily and Reyna is our most skilled dribbler. We will probably need him tomorrow.
One of the reasons I hope Berhalter is out after the world cup. Strange inclusions on the World Cup team and strange substitutions. So much talent on the team. We have great defense. We need the offense that Gio would provide. A paltry 2 goals isnt going to cut it.

Thought the U.S. outplayed the Dutch in the 1st, but got beat on the only 2 chances the Netherlands got, while we squandered our chances. Not sure how Pulisic missed his chance, the only thing I can think of is that he thought he was offside so maybe he let up?

Ferreira needs to come off, Reyna needs to come in, move Weah to CF.

I thought the USA had a good chance of making a run. They are pretty young overall but have tons of talent, especially in the midfield. Musah is blossoming into a very good player, potentially elite. The Netherlands will be an interesting matchup for us....can Greg Berhalter go toe-to-toe with Louis van Gaal?
And the answer is.....nope!

Well, that blows. I thought we outplayed them, the difference........ they finished their chances, we didn't.
We are a strange offensive club, we have excellent wings and backs that are great at giving service, but we don't really have any solid 9s to get on the end of crosses. Even our more offensively minded midfielders aren't very clinical. Our goal today was essentially an accident. Given our offensive challenges, we certainly can't afford the lapses we showed on defense tonight. I thought McKennie and Robinson were especially poor today.
The Netherlands are a solid team, and they were happy to absorb and counter, especially after the early goal. We weren't clinical enough to score when we had real chances.

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
We are a strange offensive club, we have excellent wings and backs that are great at giving service, but we don't really have any solid 9s to get on the end of crosses. Even our more offensively minded midfielders aren't very clinical. Our goal today was essentially an accident. Given our offensive challenges, we certainly can't afford the lapses we showed on defense tonight. I thought McKennie and Robinson were especially poor today.
The Netherlands are a solid team, and they were happy to absorb and counter, especially after the early goal. We weren't clinical enough to score when we had real chances.
It was frustrating. Pulisic had a glorious opportunity early and missed, McKennie had a really good chance, but put it in the stands, Haji Wright had a goal served on a platter for him and he fumbled it, Pulisic then had Wright on a run, but passed it a second or two too late, Pulisic also had a chance to get Robinson a good scoring chance, but ARob stood still instead of running towards the goal, all in all, we could've and probably should've won that game. We had the youngest team in the WC, so that should excite everyone for 2026 at home.

It was frustrating. Pulisic had a glorious opportunity early and missed, McKennie had a really good chance, but put it in the stands, Haji Wright had a goal served on a platter for him and he fumbled it, Pulisic then had Wright on a run, but passed it a second or two too late, Pulisic also had a chance to get Robinson a good scoring chance, but ARob stood still instead of running towards the goal, all in all, we could've and probably should've won that game. We had the youngest team in the WC, so that should excite everyone for 2026 at home.

Sir this thread is closed.

Benjamin Franklin the greatest President in history didn't write the declaration of independence so that we could discuss the US failing at European Kickball.

Sir this thread is closed.

America the greatest country in the world, the country that gave the world Christmas and Thanksgiving allows these silly European countries to kick a ball around. We choose not to be good at a sport where you can't use your hands. It's unmanly and quite frankly unAmerican.

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT