ADVERTISEMENT

Why none of this may matter.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas

All the realignment nonsense, arguments of go to the PAC don't go. Position ourselves for the BIG12 etc could be just wasted energy.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. But this isn't the first time something like this has been floated as an idea. Now there could be legs behind it (or something like it) if that type of money is getting thrown around. Not saying it will happen either. Only that it's a real possibility.

UNLV and the rest of the G5 would essentially get relegated to a subdivision, and play for their own Championship. But who would really care at that point.

If I'm reading this right the current model UNLV would be in? It's pretty convoluted with a relegation aspect to it. My God that's what they do in Europe and Soccer! They want to bring communism to America!

Last edited:

All the realignment nonsense, arguments of go to the PAC don't go. Position ourselves for the BIG12 etc could be just wasted energy.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. But this isn't the first time something like this has been floated as an idea. Now there could be legs behind it (or something like it) if that type of money is getting thrown around. Not saying it will happen either. Only that it's a real possibility.

UNLV and the rest of the G5 would essentially get relegated to a subdivision, and play for their own Championship. But who would really care at that point.
UNLV and AF would certainly come out ahead with all our bonus money for staying in the MW. So, let it happen. If we aren't the top 70 at least we will have a nice pile of cash.

UNLV and AF would certainly come out ahead with all our bonus money for staying in the MW. So, let it happen. If we aren't the top 70 at least we will have a nice pile of cash.

Thats the thing though. If you aren't that money means nothing. I need to read this in more detail to get a full understanding.

It’s coming and it’s sobering. It’s part of, if not the main reason, I support the move that UNLV made. 6 to 10 years from now is too late and won’t matter… the next several do though and having the extra resources matters a ton.

Will it be enough? Who knows, but it’s a shot.

Had we gone to or merged with the PAC we’d be very short on resources to operate within a condensed time frame.

There are 3 spots available (if 70) for teams outside the AQ4. Are we in the 3 now? No. Can we be? Might be a longer shot than we’d like but I still think there’s a shot. Has to be “all in” now.

It’s coming and it’s sobering. It’s part of, if not the main reason, I support the move that UNLV made. 6 to 10 years from now is too late and won’t matter… the next several do though and having the extra resources matters a ton.

Had we gone to or merged with the PAC we’d be very short on resources to operate within a condensed time frame.

There are 3 spots available (if 70) for teams outside the AQ4. Are we in the 3 now? No. Can we be? Might be a longer shot than we’d like but I still think there’s a shot. Has to be “all in” now.

Should have been all in years ago but what's the point in rehashing all the missteps.

Although I will say I remember posting stuff about Football on the confidential board when I first joined years and years ago and being told by many a poster to take it to the football board 'we're a basketball school. Nobody cares about football.'

Whelp! I tried to warn folks...Fans were just as shortsighted and naive as any AD we've had.

Rant over.

Yeah, I'm more in the camp of staying was the right call ultimately. We'll see. There are some risks with it as well.

Nice pile of cash with no chance to "move up" means we are really an fcs school. No reason for the investment we have made in sports. Special place in hell for unlv administrators that wasted decades of opportunity that would leave us outside of the cool kids club.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Nice pile of cash with no chance to "move up" means we are really an fcs school. No reason for the investment we have made in sports. Special place in hell for unlv administrators that wasted decades of opportunity that would leave us outside of the cool kids club.

Yeah well right next to them will be the 'Sam Boyd is to far I can't be bothered with it, I'll show up when the win' contingency of fans.

Reactions: RebelinWA

If I'm reading this right the current model UNLV would be in? It's pretty convoluted with a relegation aspect to it. My God that's what they do in Europe and Soccer! They want to bring communism to America!
Seems like a dumb plan honestly. IMO, the only ones that would want to do that are the ones that would fall in the top tier. Everyone else would be fighting an uphill battle if the top tier teams make 2-4 times more money than you do. At least now, for the most part, the schools that you're fighting it out against for the conference title are all getting the same money. But if you're in a big mega league, and the money is getting spread out in a different way, you could be getting 1/4 the amount of money as other teams in your league.

For discussion purposes, lets say that Colorado gets high marks for their consistently high TV viewership, so they get the top tier money. Meanwhile, Cincinnati, who is in the same conference, gets only 1/4 of the money that Colorado gets. In the long term, how is that sustainable for Cincinnati?

And even if this goes through, I actually think that it would hurt the overall viewership of that mega-league. I'm a bit stubborn, but I would likely stop watching all football games for teams that are in that league entirely. Kind of like the NBA. I have no interest anymore. If they start a separate league and only play against teams in it, then fine, but know that me and I'm sure many others like me will just stop watching it altogether.

What that would do to leagues like the MWC, PAC, AAC, etc is a big question. I think they'd still have a similar market, and depending on which broadcast companies get on board with the mega league, it could even open up other opportunities for the teams outside of this new league. My guess is that if this new league is putting this much money into it, they'd start their own network kind of like the Big10 network, Pac12 network, etc, have done in the past. If they did that, then maybe ESPN, ABC, Fox, CBS, etc, would go back to offering to get these other leagues media deals.

In the end, just lots of speculation and guesses. But I don't think it would destroy UNLV or any other programs in the long run as some are speculating.

Seems like a dumb plan honestly. IMO, the only ones that would want to do that are the ones that would fall in the top tier. Everyone else would be fighting an uphill battle if the top tier teams make 2-4 times more money than you do. At least now, for the most part, the schools that you're fighting it out against for the conference title are all getting the same money. But if you're in a big mega league, and the money is getting spread out in a different way, you could be getting 1/4 the amount of money as other teams in your league.

For discussion purposes, lets say that Colorado gets high marks for their consistently high TV viewership, so they get the top tier money. Meanwhile, Cincinnati, who is in the same conference, gets only 1/4 of the money that Colorado gets. In the long term, how is that sustainable for Cincinnati?

And even if this goes through, I actually think that it would hurt the overall viewership of that mega-league. I'm a bit stubborn, but I would likely stop watching all football games for teams that are in that league entirely. Kind of like the NBA. I have no interest anymore. If they start a separate league and only play against teams in it, then fine, but know that me and I'm sure many others like me will just stop watching it altogether.

What that would do to leagues like the MWC, PAC, AAC, etc is a big question. I think they'd still have a similar market, and depending on which broadcast companies get on board with the mega league, it could even open up other opportunities for the teams outside of this new league. My guess is that if this new league is putting this much money into it, they'd start their own network kind of like the Big10 network, Pac12 network, etc, have done in the past. If they did that, then maybe ESPN, ABC, Fox, CBS, etc, would go back to offering to get these other leagues media deals.

In the end, just lots of speculation and guesses. But I don't think it would destroy UNLV or any other programs in the long run as some are speculating.
Ton of speculation for sure… and yeah, I agree with you that it could actually create some opportunities not yet seen.

Something bigger IS coming though and it’s coming sooner rather than later.

Your first sentence said it all. (Not being snarky).

THE INs are the ones with the power to dictate all of this, so they would want it.

Not so much destroy as cheapen the product maybe?

The newest CFP system at least offers the G5 a seat at the table.

Not sure this set up would.

Yeah, I'm more in the camp of staying was the right call ultimately. We'll see. There are some risks with it as well.
I see less risk, probably because I see the future without “big time” affiliation as death. I could easily be wrong though.

If you figure there are maybe 3 seats left at the table, how many teams have a legitimate shot at them?

Washington St, Oregon State? Maybe, but you’ve already got Washington and Oregon… do you really need those two?

Boise? Maybe, but Idaho? The whole state is less than 2 million.

SDSU? Meh. But maybe with the SD market?

Memphis? Likely it would seem, seems like a small market though relatively speaking.

UCONN? No idea really. Big bball name obviously. I’d say probably for the brand but Connecticut is about the same size as NV and I’m not sure how their markets are.

UNLV? No history other than bball, which has stunk for a while. But a larger market, albeit untapped, and Las Vegas brand.

I know there are maybe a couple others I didn’t mention, maybe USF and Tulane?

UNLVs not at the top of the list, but it’s not like leapfrogging a lot of those teams is out of the realm of possibility.

I see less risk, probably because I see the future without “big time” affiliation as death. I could easily be wrong though.

If you figure there are maybe 3 seats left at the table, how many teams have a legitimate shot at them?

Washington St, Oregon State? Maybe, but you’ve already got Washington and Oregon… do you really need those two?

Boise? Maybe, but Idaho? The whole state is less than 2 million.

SDSU? Meh. But maybe with the SD market?

Memphis? Likely it would seem, seems like a small market though relatively speaking.

UCONN? No idea really. Big bball name obviously. I’d say probably for the brand but Connecticut is about the same size as NV and I’m not sure how their markets are.

UNLV? No history other than bball, which has stunk for a while. But a larger market, albeit untapped, and Las Vegas brand.

I know there are maybe a couple others I didn’t mention, maybe USF and Tulane?

UNLVs not at the top of the list, but it’s not like leapfrogging a lot of those teams is out of the realm of possibility.
I agree and was thinking along the same lines. Las Vegas has a market and appeal that most places don't. We've shown in the past that we can have top basketball teams. We're trending much higher in football also and have top notch facilities.

And, its easy to get to from pretty much anywhere in the country

Why 70? I think Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame etc. would like the concept but want to keep it at around 40 teams. $ 9 billion much better split 40 ways rather than 70.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
At some point cutting out programs will also cut out the media market. How long will the interest be there if only a selected few colleges are involved with the game at the top? With very few exceptions, most schools only have a regional following, and even with the big boy schools like Notre Dame and Alabama, very few people on a national level watch their games. The average viewership for an NFL team is around 18 million with the Cowboys averaging around 25 million. College football games with power 4 teams average around 7 million with a high end of around 15 million on ABC (most other games drop way down from there with many games at around 1 million or less viewers. College football with a Power 4 team has a low end of less than 1 million (0.3% of the US viewer market) and a high end of around 15 million (4.5% of the US viewer market). How much will that market cut back if more and more cities have no connection to college teams? I mostly watch other teams based on my interest in how UNLV can do on a national level, how many other people also are casual watchers at best like me? Cut out all of the fat leaving only 40 major schools, and you will likely also cut out much of the TV viewership and thus TV revenue. Am I wrong?

Your first sentence said it all. (Not being snarky).

THE INs are the ones with the power to dictate all of this, so they would want it.

Not so much destroy as cheapen the product maybe?

The newest CFP system at least offers the G5 a seat at the table.

Not sure this set up would.
Its designed not to give us a seat at the table. That’s not good for the bottom line, unless its a Cinderella story with national attention. But considering how rare it is to get those type of success stories on the national level; it is a much safer guarantee of money to have no g6 seats.

Media companies are risk adverse. It’s why there is so much structure in how seasons go and how tournaments are played. The lack of creativity is whats hurting football at different levels.

It will be 2-3 tiers in near future. Not sure what the splits will be, probably 30-40 programs at the top. I doubt the top programs will want to split more revenue than that. I don't see conferences being a thing anymore for football only as I imagine this would be a football program only thing.

It will be 2-3 tiers in near future. Not sure what the splits will be, probably 30-40 programs at the top. I doubt the top programs will want to split more revenue than that. I don't see conferences being a thing anymore for football only as I imagine this would be a football program only thing.

If they go to a regulation system it won't be a conference format but more of a regional format.

Reactions: oneepstein
Whining about coulda shoulda isn't going to change anything. Not saying you're whining as I can whine with the best cheeses. At least for whatever level we end up we still have some cash.

There’s a real risk this path will backfire and make college football more of a regional sport like baseball where folks only watch their team. If my team doesn’t have even a Cinderella shot why would I waste my time watching a school 2500 miles away or even 250 miles away? I’ve no rooting interest, literally zero.

If they go to a regulation system it won't be a conference format but more of a regional format.
The relegation system WOULD actually be sort of fun and make things way more interesting. Obviously we don’t have stupid sports (I kid)like soccer here in ‘Merica, so I don’t know a whole hell of a lot about it other than what I’ve learned from Ted Lasso, but it could be fun as shit to watch.

Reactions: InZoneU
Not sure if top 70 means top 70 teams. Will they leave out Vandy or Texas Tech just because they aren't top 70 and replace them with Liberty? I think there will be many factors in their "top 70."

According to this it would be just the current four power conferences (is that 70 teams?) and would eliminate any future games vs group of 5 teams. So that would be the death knell for us and other programs if no chance to move up. Fans aren't paying, not in Vegas, to see us play Montana State.

According to this it would be just the current four power conferences (is that 70 teams?) and would eliminate any future games vs group of 5 teams. So that would be the death knell for us and other programs if no chance to move up. Fans aren't paying, not in Vegas, to see us play Montana State.

I saw a similiar model with like 8 regions (Basically Group of 8). Power conferences would be aligned similarly. Then there would be yearly relegation. Top of each region replaces bottom of 'upper' division region. Basically conference affiliation wouldn't exist anymore.

It sucked but at least there was some path up.

The relegation system WOULD actually be sort of fun and make things way more interesting. Obviously we don’t have stupid sports (I kid)like soccer here in ‘Merica, so I don’t know a whole hell of a lot about it other than what I’ve learned from Ted Lasso, but it could be fun as shit to watch.

I'll block you if you support this Euro trash soccer adjacent communism. My God man this is what the French do!

There are currently 67 in the 4 AQ conferences.

Make sure to live in the moment and enjoy what we have, while we still have it. With the direction things are moving, nothing is guaranteed for schools like UNLV in the future.
If raising awareness, rallying people, etc …. Made any difference whatsoever …. Then you do that. But it doesn’t. We don’t control what’s going to happen, it’s bigger than us individually or collectively.

So you’re with, enjoy any good that there is … the rest will play out.

I am a big fan of promotion-relegation model. As a die-hard fan of Norwich City (where Josh Sargent plays), nobody understands the experience quite like our fans. In last 20 years - promoted 5 times, relegated 6 times. The most of any club in England. They call it the Yo-Yo.

What it does is make you care about the entire season all the way through. Even if you have a shitty year, you're still gripping over every game hoping not to get relegated. If you ever watched Relegation Sunday in EPL, you'll see how much it means to the last place teams to win and survive.

I watched the Wrexham (soccer) series on Netflix and quite enjoyed it with the whole relegation aspect of it. They were able to move up 2 divisions in 3 years after being in the lowest division for 15 years. Some time ago, they were in the 2nd highest division (Champions League) for a while and had a number of bad seasons dropping them down to the lowest.

Relagation would be interesting, but it would then mean a p4 school losing status and their share of tv money. So do you really see that happening?

Relagation would be interesting, but it would then mean a p4 school losing status and their share of tv money. So do you really see that happening?
They handle that with what they call 'parachute payments' to the clubs that get relegated, to offset the loss of TV revenue from being in the Premier League.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT