ADVERTISEMENT

Where we currently stand on '17 Recruits

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
We are at 17 commits. Here is the list with anticipated position. If I missed anyone let me know. Should have 6 or so Scholarhips left. This weekend I expect to see some D Line and Secondary players as those the remaining positions of need along with potentially another Fr. Quarterback .

UNLV 2017 Football Commit List

Tariq Hollandsworth – RB

Jamaal Neal – H/WR

Farrell Hester- MLB

Ashton Morgan – OL

Markell Grayson – QB/ATH

Jacob Rominger- LB (JUCO MID YEAR)

Nate Neal- DE

Noah Bean- TE

Sid Acosta – C (JUCO MID YEAR)

Greg Francis – Safety

Roger Mann- DE (JUCO MID YEAR)

Demetrious Gibbs- Safety (JUCO MID Year)

Daniel Schoene – OL

Drew Tjechman – WR

Bruce Hester – DL JUCO (summer)

Justice Oluweseun – OL

Jeremy Clark – WR

Yeah I know some spots opened up , with Dalton leaving it opened up a spot and I think a few guys who had eligibility but already had degrees might be done playing as well.

I hope they can lock up Winfield (5th year from Syracuse) or possibly his teammate Chauncey Scissum (5th year) or a JUCO to help sure up the Safety Spot with Gibbs, Austrie and whoever they are looking to get reps there.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
No matter who quits or transfers you still only get 25 initial counter scholarships. Anything else that opens can be given to walk one who have stayed with the program for more than two seasons. Cameron Carr and Jamal Holloway came in late last summer as "count forward" kids against this year meaning no matter what we get 23 scholarship spots for incoming kids.

I think next year we will only have 17 seniors so maybe the "extra" spots will be more count forwards or go to walk ons like you mentioned.

No matter who quits or transfers you still only get 25 initial counter scholarships. Anything else that opens can be given to walk one who have stayed with the program for more than two seasons. Cameron Carr and Jamal Holloway came in late last summer as "count forward" kids against this year meaning no matter what we get 23 scholarship spots for incoming kids.
You can sign more than 25 in the MWC depending upon your open spots under the 85 limit. Heck, SJSU signed 33 in 2015. It depends upon the conference rules regarding oversigning a class. The Big Ten's rule is that you can sign 3 extra players than you have spots for but the squad has to be down to 85 scholies at the end of fall camp. The SEC allows up to 30 per class. I can't find a limit in the MWC rules. If anyone knows, please fill us in.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You can sign more than 25 in the MWC depending upon your open spots under the 85 limit. Heck, SJSU signed 33 in 2015. It depends upon the conference rules regarding oversigning a class. The Big Ten's rule is that you can sign 3 extra players than you have spots for but the squad has to be down to 85 scholies at the end of fall camp. The SEC allows up to 30 per class. I can't find a limit in the MWC rules. If anyone knows, please fill us in.

NCAA Bylaws set the limit at 25 according to 15.5.6.1.
There are certain exceptions for replacing kids mid year but other than they it's a universal limit.

Technically you can "sign" and announce a kid without giving him aid but 25 scholarships is all ya got.

I think we have a few mid year spots. Not positive just some educated guesses at this point.

NCAA Bylaws set the limit at 25 according to 15.5.6.1.
There are certain exceptions for replacing kids mid year but other than they it's a universal limit.

Technically you can "sign" and announce a kid without giving him aid but 25 scholarships is all ya got.
You can over sign the 25. It's done routinely across the nation. The NCAA allows the conferences to manage how it accomplished by the schools in their conferences.

Here is a link to the signings of the 2016 class
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2016

As you can see
# 4 Michigan signed 29.
# 7 Texas signed 28
# 10 UCLA signed 30
# 22 Cal signed 27
# 24 UNC signed 26
# 27 SoCar signed 27
# 34 Utah signed 28
# 36 Louisville signed 28
# 38 WV signed 28
# 40 Beavs signed 26
# 50 BYU signed 26
# 52 Wazzu signed 29
# 53 Iowa State signed 29
# 56 Boise State signed 28
I'll stop there since there are several more who signed over 25. You can see the same thing for the 2015, 2014, 2013, etc classes.

Oversigning recruiting classes has become a very big issue across the country. Here is a very good article on the same >
http://collegefootball.about.com/od...igning-College-Footballs-Hidden-Problem_3.htm

You can over sign the 25. It's done routinely across the nation. The NCAA allows the conferences to manage how it accomplished by the schools in their conferences.

Here is a link to the signings of the 2016 class
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2016

As you can see
# 4 Michigan signed 29.
# 7 Texas signed 28
# 10 UCLA signed 30
# 22 Cal signed 27
# 24 UNC signed 26
# 27 SoCar signed 27
# 34 Utah signed 28
# 36 Louisville signed 28
# 38 WV signed 28
# 40 Beavs signed 26
# 50 BYU signed 26
# 52 Wazzu signed 29
# 53 Iowa State signed 29
# 56 Boise State signed 28
I'll stop there since there are several more who signed over 25. You can see the same thing for the 2015, 2014, 2013, etc classes.

Oversigning recruiting classes has become a very big issue across the country. Here is a very good article on the same >
http://collegefootball.about.com/od...igning-College-Footballs-Hidden-Problem_3.htm

Well I guess we are essentially getting at the same thing. While they may sign more they can only HONOR 25

Well I guess we are essentially getting at the same thing. While they may sign more they can only HONOR 25
One can also back count early enrollees to the prior class if it was under 25. That's why we were able to sign 28 in the 2016 class.

One can also back count early enrollees to the prior class if it was under 25. That's why we were able to sign 28 in the 2016 class.

So if everything is a rolling number from that 25, and we oversigned last year plus two count forwards, it would be safe to say we won't go over 23 this year unless we start chucking away at next year, right?

So if everything is a rolling number from that 25, and we oversigned last year plus two count forwards, it would be safe to say we won't go over 23 this year unless we start chucking away at next year, right?
It's more of a rolling number backwards. Last year we signed 28 but 5 of them were early enrollees who counted back to the prior class. Thus, we could count back 3 early enrollees to fill the 2016 class, which would allow us to sign 28 right now if we have 3 or more early enrollees. Remember that the total number of scholies can not be over 85 at the end of Fall practice. The total number of 85 always needs to be kept in mind because there could always be a valuable transfer coming in who had graduated from his current team. It wouldn't surprise me if there were two of them coming in for this season.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT