ADVERTISEMENT

Where did UNLV's defense go??

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
The defense was the strength of the team during the first half of the season but they've turned into a major liability. The tackling has become bad, almost no pressure ever on the QB, and bad coverage on receivers when the QB has all day to throw.

The easy explanation is to say we lack talent and depth on that side, and I would 100% accept that answer except for the fact that these same players looked MUCH better in prior games but have significantly regressed into a fundamentally challenged group. It doesn't matter how many points we score if the defense is going to get torched all game.

The defense was the strength of the team during the first half of the season but they've turned into a major liability. The tackling has become bad, almost no pressure ever on the QB, and bad coverage on receivers when the QB has all day to throw.

The easy explanation is to say we lack talent and depth on that side, and I would 100% accept that answer except for the fact that these same players looked MUCH better in prior games but have significantly regressed into a fundamentally challenged group. It doesn't matter how many points we score if the defense is going to get torched all game.
It was a really bad night. Suspect defensive calls, bad tackling, trouble shedding blocks etc.

CSU deserves some credit for executing well.

Look at it this way we looked like this on defense 10 out of 12 games last year. This is probably only the second time the defense played poorly.

Reactions: DocRebel
Defense was absolutelt abominable tonight.
It was bad. Nothing positive to take from this game at all. First time all season where I felt our guys were beat, in every aspect of the game on defense.

Considering how much the defense had improved this year from last, this performance was as surprising as it was disappointing.

This is the first game of the season where I felt like I was watching a Hauck coached team. They really didn't look good and the D was nowhere to be found.

I guess Sanchez has to have at least one really bad game for the year, and this is it.

Season is over in regards to any chance at a bowl game, now it is for pride with SDSU and Wyoming games coming up.

Either way, the overall season shows me a glimpse of the future being very bright for next season.

It was bad. Nothing positive to take from this game at all. First time all season where I felt our guys were beat, in every aspect of the game on defense.

Considering how much the defense had improved this year from last, this performance was as surprising as it was disappointing.
I should have said nothing good to take away from the defense. There were some very good performances on the offensive side of the ball.

It's mainly due to injuries, no depth and because the season is basically over. They are simply worn out and with that their drive has gone into reverse.

I would rather beat whales vagina than go to a bowl. It would be sweet to upset them.

Bring back 96

Beating unr and SDST in the same year would be a fantastic year. Just need our Defense to get their second wind.

It's mainly due to injuries, no depth and because the season is basically over. They are simply worn out and with that their drive has gone into reverse.
I don't agree that it's slipping because they lost the drive. Maybe with Hauck, but not CTS. There have been a couple a key injuries mid season that may still be hampering certain positions (Matt Lea, Valoaga, etc).

Also, with thin depth on defense, it's just a fact that they are wearing down.

I don't agree that it's slipping because they lost the drive. Maybe with Hauck, but not CTS. There have been a couple a key injuries mid season that may still be hampering certain positions (Matt Lea, Valoaga, etc).

It isn't lack of effort, you are right. Just not enough bullets in the gun right now or big enough guns. Like I said before Baer was able to cover up a few of our weaknesses on defense with scheme early on. Ultimately talent and depth outweigh scheme. Defensive numbers are better in nearly every category with virtually the same guys. I think as they recruit for what they want to do on defense that unit will get progressively better over next 2-3 seasons.

Reactions: Sam-I-am

Yeah. I should have used a better description. The will was there, just not the way.

Yeah. I should have used a better description. The will was there, just not the way.
That isn't to say there weren't a few guys that weren't ready for the season to be over. Any time you a team struggles there are going to be a few guys that go through the motions.I don't think as a whole the entire team shutdown, and most guys were competing to the end. You look at a team like Hawaii that really looked like they cashed it in after the loss to us.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT