ADVERTISEMENT

WHATS NEXT?

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Ok your chance to play Commish.

(Provided Hawaii accepts the full membership offer)

You've got your 8 in all sports.

Do you stay put?

Add more? And Who?

How many?

Look at possible FB/BB only options?

Reactions: RebelinWA
I’d stand pat for the moment, and I definitely wouldn’t be pursuing adding ONE team as a long term solution to anything. Hawaii is already here and adding UTEP was probably the most palatable choice, aside from the Texas St thing.

I would probably look at adding a group of teams at the same time that help more strategically. Maybe it’s two football and two basketball or something like that. Just something that appears to be an actual plan versus just picking up whatever donkey is wandering the wilderness.

I’d stand pat for the moment, and I definitely wouldn’t be pursuing adding ONE team as a long term solution to anything. Hawaii is already here and adding UTEP was probably the most palatable choice, aside from the Texas St thing.

I would probably look at adding a group of teams at the same time that help more strategically. Maybe it’s two football and two basketball or something like that. Just something that appears to be an actual plan versus just picking up whatever donkey is wandering the wilderness.

That seems like a lot right? Not sure MWC numbers.

You add 2 schools, maybe football only for now, maybe not.. But you need to get to 10 to have a championship game. There's no way they're not going to want a Championship game.
I thought the Big12 (Texas/Oklahoma) got the NCAA to eliminate the minimum number as long as the conference plays a full round robin schedule. With 8 teams 7 conference games is a full round robin and we should be able to hold a Championship Game.

@RebNReno

I can definitely see the merit in staying put. Problem is just like the stay put or PAC decision there are solid arguments the other way.

A lot of possible outcomes.

I think AAC is off the table even if Memphis and Tulane left. Most AAC schools can't afford that buyout. MWC still probably limited to FCS CUSA and Sun Belt.

Flipside is if AAC has spots open up, they could start hunting to reload and schools the MWC might want are in play for AAC as well.

I think MWC can wait but could be left once again picking up scraps.

Personally an Arkansas State, WKU, Sam Houston State and Sac State would be solid additions.

All comes down to does MWC next media deal offer enough to entice anybody to leave.

Saw reports The 5 million to make the jump plus the increase in scholarships might be to rich for their blood. We'll see. Sac State could be in mix for MWC.
Every indication I have seen from the MWC is that they are branching out east, as is the PAC.

Sac State will probably have to pay an entrance fee on top of the 5 million dollar fee to join the FBS.

Every indication I have seen from the MWC is that they are branching out east, as is the PAC.

Sac State will probably have to pay an entrance fee on top of the 5 million dollar fee to join the FBS.

They will. All FCS schools do I think to make jump.

I'm with you, I think MWC should look East as well. I wouldn't pass on SAC State.

I would look to add Sam Houston for another Texas School. I'd grab Western Kentucky and shoot for Arkansas State. Provides all three travel partners.

They will. All FCS schools do I think to make jump.

I'm with you, I think MWC should look East as well. I wouldn't pass on SAC State.

I would look to add Sam Houston for another Texas School. I'd grab Western Kentucky and shoot for Arkansas State. Provides all three travel partners.
I agree, probably add Wichita State for basketball as well.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I’m talking it would cost them more than 5 million FBS entrance fee. There’s two fees in my scenario, the 5 million FBS fee and a 10 million MW entry fee. We’re assuming all the risk of adding Sac State and it’s why PAC won’t add them. It will be a couple years before they get up to speed.

Ah gotcha. Makes sense.

How the hell could Tarleton State afford it I wonder.

I know why a championship game is important but I can’t stomach watching any MWC teams play each other more than once in a season and to think to get to 10 they will have dig deeper through the garbage to find a couple other schools.

This is true.
Texas is serious. Could you imagine tailgating the way you do on a Thursday (JV game), Friday (HS Varsity), Saturday morning (neighboring University), Saturday evening (local University), and then Sunday for the NFL?

Don’t get me wrong, if you’re in the grill I’m not complaining. I’ll happily eat away at the gourmet food that comes off the rack. But damn.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I know why a championship game is important but I can’t stomach watching any MWC teams play each other more than once in a season and to think to get to 10 they will have dig deeper through the garbage to find a couple other schools.
BSU/UNLV will be worth watching twice. Could be the best MWC conference championship gave if not ever at least a very long time.

Ah gotcha. Makes sense.

How the hell could Tarleton State afford it I wonder.
Tarleton State would probably only be added only as a sweetener/travel partner for Texas State or another nearby program. It doesn’t make any sense to have Tarleton on an island. That’s a no go for me, but if we can add Texas State and Tarleton and add two MAC schools, theoretically you could have 12 programs and 4 time zone slots for programming.

Whether Fox or CBS is pressing the MW for that is another matter.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
BSU/UNLV will be worth watching twice. Could be the best MWC conference championship gave if not ever at least a very long time.

That’s my point, BSU won’t be in the new watered down MWC and to get to 10 it will be watered down even more. Just an awful conference that gets worse the more they add because there are no good options. But to hold a championship game they will keep vetting the D1 bottom feeders and apparently even FCS schools and eventually will add a couple.

Last edited:
That’s my point, BSU won’t be in the new watered down MWC and to get to 10 it will be watered down even more. Just an awful conference that gets worse the more they add because there are no good options. But to hold a championship game they will keep vetting the D1 bottom feeders and apparently even FCS schools and eventually will add a couple.
Oh yeah in the new conference you will have a tough time watching a game worth watching once much less twice.

Reactions: rebswin2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT