ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take...

...for you think that UNLV football has turned the corner as a program?
Turned THE corner or A corner? Considering we have been so bad so long there are a lot of corners that have to be turned. Better recruiting, wins on the field, better student support, more community support improved facilities, beating Reno etc.

As to when I will feel like we turned THE corner if we become bowl eligible three straight years.

I think of unlv football as a giant container ship with multiple pieces that determine the size and weight. The ship is turning, it's going to take a minute, but it's definitely turning.

The corner will have turned when we have three years of the community having faith in the program and the team going positive.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Every time we say unlv turns the corner, we turn another corner back to where we started. I'm just looking for consistency

Really love the heart this team shows. Can't complain when there is 100 percent effort and no quit.

When we are in the PAC-12
I disagree. When we are in the Pac-12, we have arrived. Turning the corner is something that the team certainly did last night. THEY NEVER QUIT and that is really saying something for a UNLV football team. Sanchez has them playing like men and the team will continue to improve. Remember, the coaches are doing all this with primarily hauck's players; not to criticize hauck but Sanchez has turned them into a football team that believes they can win every game AND expect to win every game. I'm excited about the future!

...for you think that UNLV football has turned the corner as a program?
We have turned a corner already this season just with the massively improved fundamentals, attitude and coaching but it's just one of many more corners to turn. Winning more games this season than last season should be the next corner to turn. I'm fine with it happening one turn at a time. Just keep the steering wheel lubricated and the eye on the road.

This coach has proven to be the first corner turned. The attitude of the players in the locker room to want to play for this coach is another corner. The new uniforms with names on the back speaks to the pride and another corner. The dice numbers on the field to Sam Boyd and other upgrades is another corner. BEATING RENO IN RENO is another corner. Next corner will be a 3 star QB or better in this recruiting class and some big boys in the trenches. UNLV will then bring the consistency that a good football program will need. Finally in Sanchez 5th season, as we rally to keep him here, with the opening of the on campus facility, we will arrive at the top of the MTN West and Pac 12 will come knocking. This will also spark the men's track team...

At least 5 -10 years of continued success, ie Boise, Utah, TCU, Louisville

All of those schools had FB programs that were not in good shape, all but BSU parlayed sustained success into bigger conferences. Look at SDSU they have made I think 6 striaght bowl games but they are as irrelevant as UNLV is in FB still.

Reactions: j. spilotro
At least 5 -10 years of continued success, ie Boise, Utah, TCU, Louisville

All of those schools had FB programs that were not in good shape, all but BSU parlayed sustained success into bigger conferences. Look at SDSU they have made I think 6 striaght bowl games but they are as irrelevant as UNLV is in FB still.

SDSU's program could be in real trouble if the Chargers leave San Diego. They will have no stadium to play in and do not have the resources to build a new one.

They have been to 5-6 bowl games but have never had that breakout season like TCU or Boise State where they went 11-0 or scored a big upset.

BSU has very low addmissions which is part of the reason they haven't gotten into a bigger conference despite consistent success.

I agree though it will take 5 years of winning football to cement that the football program has turned the corner.

I think two or three good years is more than enough to turn the corner and have the country looking at UNLV football. My biggest concern is how tightly tied into UNLV and the community is coach Sanchez? I can already see how quickly things have changed from where 2-3 wins was what everyone on a national level figured to be the plateau for UNLV football to where most think UNLV can win 5-7 games. It is amazing to see some projection even have UNLV as an outside shot at a bowl game. I just hope we are able to come up with the money to quickly build the training facilities, purchase property for a new stadium, and find enough funds to insure that coach Sanchez wants to make UNLV a long term stay as part of his career.

If we can get Sanchez to stay, I can see a legacy where he gets UNLV into either the PAC12 or Big12. When you look at the programs out West that are even being considered for those two conferences, the one big thing they have on UNLV is football which we are seeing the gap close on quickly. The programs I see we must compete against are as follows:

CSU - Not strong in any area, but a consistently decent football and basketball program. This is a good sized school and would fit very well as either a Big12 school or a PAC12 partner for Colorado. They have two schools in Arizona, Oregon, and Washington.

Houston - A huge jump in the past few years in football, which may make them a big target for the Big12. This is a large school that has a very large connection to the market in Houston and has the potential to draw a lot of new fans. The big downfall is that the Big12 is heavily invested in the Texas market, and needs to expand outside of their traditional market.

BSU - Have a very good football program as well as a very competitive basketball program that could easily be a Big12 target, but not likely for the PAC12 because of very low academics. There is also the negative of a very small school and a very small TV market in the Idaho area. If they got into the Big12, it is likely they would lose more games and see a quick erosion of the following that they currently have on a national level.

BYU - This is a school that has a great sports program, large school, very good national following, and a Church policy that gets in the way of everything. BYU already turned down the Big12 due to not being willing to play on Sundays, and would have a difficult time fitting in with the PAC12. They probably could still get into the Big12 if they would be willing to change their policy. Do not be suprised if the church backs down on the no play Sunday policy in the future, otherwise they are doomed to irrelevance in the long run.

SDSU - This is a school that was in the perfect position a few years ago with a great basketball program, and a football program that was at the top of the MWC and had done very well verse BSU. They have the largest student enrollement in the MWC, have a large stadium (even if SD chargers did leave, the stadium would still be used, it is not owned by the Chargers), a large City with no other college competition. The downfall is that the basketball program may be on probation, the football program has seen a large drop off over the last couple of years. I think they could still be a target of the Big12, and to a lesser extent, the PAC12 due to their very good academics. They are most likely the biggest competition for a postion in a major conference from the West coast.

Utah St./Fresno St./unr/SMU/etc - There are a lot of programs that are up and down in regards to athletics, but may have a difficult time due to their small time markets and locations that are really not desirable to the major football conferences.

UNLV - On the positive side UNLV has a very good overall athletics department (basketball has been down last two years, but expect that will change this year), good sized school with 30,000 students, a large untapped TV market, and the funding that could move UNLV to the next level. The real hit on UNLV has been a total lack of support for the football program from fans, the school, community, and business community. The football program has shown a large improvement just over the last 8-10 months that has moved UNLV from being a total joke on a national level to the point where most people now believe with a couple of lucky breaks, they could sneak into a bowl game this year. I expect that most everyone will have UNLV in a bowl game next year. Now they need to keep things moving forward and fund the new facilities quickly to show the PAC12 and Big12 that they are serious about putting a better product on the field. If they do everything that they need to, I could see an offer from a major conference within the next 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT