ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect at UNLV

umeh43

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2008
I am seeing a lot of posts basically that if fans UNLV were not happy about UNLV winning last night, that they are not fans. That is simply just not true guys. Sorry.

First off, I want you to know my expectations for a coach at UNLV So you know they aren’t unrealistic or need to be fixed. My expectations for any UNLV coach is that they can prove to make the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. For example, what Kruger did. I would be completely content and totally ok with that being the ceiling of our program. I don’t need anything more to be satisfied and to enjoy UNLV basketball. That is a fair and realistic expectation for any UNLV basketball coach that takes over. We have the brand, facilities to do that in the Mountain West conference. Also, we had a coach (Kruger) that proved you can do that. Period.

Since Marvin Menzies has taken over the program, has he shown me/you that he can do that?

So far there is more proof of a no then a yes.

We schedule so poorly that he gives our teams no shot to ever get an at-large bid now or in the future.

The players that Marvin Menzies recruits and the way the roster is currently constructed, there are only 3 players on the team there are good enough to build a team that can go to a NCAA tournament.

Losing games that we should not lose. The Mountain West has been an awful conference since Coach Menzies took over. So obviously there should be an expectation to win more of these games then previous coaches. He continues to lose them.

The stadium being absolutely empty and completely not winning over the fan base. Obviously any coach we bring in, will not get 100% support. But Marvin Menzies doesn’t even get 30% support. That’s really bad. I took my wife to her first game last year and I was absolutely embarrassed to take her. Part of being the coach, is getting butts in the seats. He simply does not do that. It’s not fully his fault, but he has some to blame.

Despite all of that, I have continued to support him and the program. The Hawaii tournament this year was my last straw guys. I have lost a lot of faith in this current coach. I’m sorry.

The fact that UNLV fans are satisfied at the moment with a 3-0 conference start and where UNLV is this season, makes me sad and is embarrassing. I’m sorry, I can’t forget Loyola, Valparaiso, and Hawaii games. Just can’t. This will probably be 5th year in a row, we don’t dance.

Can Marvin Menzies turn it around and reach my expectations and make me eat my words? (I would be thrilled and esatic to.) Yes, and I can also be in the NBA if I was a foot talker.

The administration is probably debating whether this guy can lead the program. If the administration is thinking what I am thinking or is close to making a decision to let this guy go (I don’t know what they are thinking), why would I want this team to win enough to keep him around to where I don’t get to see where UNLV make the NCAA tournament? That’s just settling and being ok where the state of the program is at. I’m sorry guys, I can’t be ok with the program at the moment. I’m not happy. My expectations aren’t being met.

It is very tough to be happy when UNLV wins at the moment. I feel like we are stuck as a program at the moment. Where Marvin Menzies might win enough to keep his job but not give hardly any success for the program. That’s why I can’t be happy with a win. I don’t know what Menzies can deliver. I have a strong guess that it’s not much.

I know there are other UNLV fans that feel the way I do. We are UNLV fans. We just expect more than that. There is nothing wrong with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News