ADVERTISEMENT

What If...?

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/feb/08/with-rice-reunion-imagining-the-unlv-team-that-cou/

It's truly a shame that some poor tree had to die so that this waste of words might find it's way into the Sun.

You could’ve written this piece every season during Rice’s tenure. He always had glittery recruiting classes. No one ever suggested that he couldn’t recruit. He just couldn’t coach. His four and five-star prima donnas wouldn’t play for him.

Should TK-M have dumped him mid-season? Probably not. It didn’t improve the results, and it hurt us with the coaching fraternity. It probably contributed to the circus that ensued in the search for a head man. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I confess that I applauded his departure, at the time.

But suggesting that we’d be “dancing” again if Rice had stayed, is pure fiction. They’d have chalked up a quality win or two in the OOC season, and then floundered in the MW, finishing somewhere in the middle of a mediocre pack. It’s “Groundhog Day”. The same bad dream, on a loop, over and over. No thanks.

Marvin Menzies was virtually no one’s first choice. But he’s here, and I like his style. He’s honest and he’s genuinely happy to be a Rebel. That earns him major points with me. I believe that, given a level playing field, he will return UNLV to the ranks of a respectable program.

Forget Rice. I bear him no ill will. He’s a Rebel. He’s just not cut out to be a head coach. And now that he’s gone over to the dark side , He’s not welcome at the T&M.

thumbs-down-hand-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

A better 'what-if' scenario would've been 'what if most of the team and recruits had stayed with Coach Menzies?'. It would've been interesting to see if he could've gotten a collection of AAU all-stars to play as a team.

Trouble with all of these hypothetical "what-if" statements is that so many are operating under the assumption that the players the would have been here if Rice had stayed would be performing at the same level that they are performing at at their current schools.

In many cases the players went to better teams, and in every case they went to better coaches. To suggest that all of these guys tearing it up would tear it up here is to ignore Rice's track record of underachievement. Even underachieving compared to the talent on the roster may have been enough to win the league this year, but I thought it was pretty clear that moving forward, CDR just wasn't going to get it done as we were trending in the wrong direction every year of his tenure.

From what I've seen rather Dave rice be fired midseason or end of season I just don't see where this coaching search Is any different. I think you wind up with the same result either way..

The only thing I know is that the bleeding stopped when a Rice "resigned". Where we are at right now is the painful rehab the comes after the procedure. It's not fun, no one likes doing it, but it's necessary in order to get back to normal. Rehab doesn't last forever, and it only gets better and easier as the wound heals. We will not watch this for much longer (in the grand scheme of things). It didn't take one season to cause this mess and it won't be fixed in one season. Patience is the best medicine right now.

The only thing I know is that the bleeding stopped when a Rice "resigned". Where we are at right now is the painful rehab the comes after the procedure. It's not fun, no one likes doing it, but it's necessary in order to get back to normal. Rehab doesn't last forever, and it only gets better and easier as the wound heals. We will not watch this for much longer (in the grand scheme of things). It didn't take one season to cause this mess and it won't be fixed in one season. Patience is the best medicine right now.
The bleed turned into a hemorrhage if you recall. We had a long, inefficient and nationally embarrassing coaching search, one that took so long before we finally landed on Menzies that we lost a few players that would have absolutely helped the team this year AND given Menzies a couple more weeks to recruit so we could at least be "decent" this year instead of setting records for all time worsts. That mangled process of mid-season firing to stumbling to a hire hurt UNLV in more ways than many people realize and it has somewhat (unfairly) handcuffed Menzies right out of the gate. UNLV, through absolutely ZERO fault of Menzies, has been "blackballed" to some degree in critical circles. Recruiting being one of them.

So no, the bleeding didn't stop - and the healing hasn't yet started to take place, IMO. I'd say it's starting once UNLV can get to the top half of the conference - maybe get to 20 wins vs a decent schedule.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
through absolutely ZERO fault of Menzies, has been "blackballed" to some degree in critical circles. Recruiting being one of them.
It’s apparent that you have access to information that we, what should I call us?, “ average” fans do not. I wish you could elaborate on what you referred to as blackballing on the recruiting trail. I can understand where a rival coach, vying for the same player might use our troubles in some way, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re talking about.

I can understand if you don’t wish to betray confidences. But if there’s any more you can comfortably share, of these behind-the-curtain goings-on, it would be greatly appreciated. I was under the impression that MM and his staff would be able to recruit as a once-great and rebuilding program. Convincing talented kids to come to UNLV shouldn’t be any harder than at least other Mountain West schools.

You’re implying that there are additional obstacles in our path. Any hints?

wtf-question-mark-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

It’s apparent that you have access to information that we, what should I call us?, “ average” fans do not. I wish you could elaborate on what you referred to as blackballing on the recruiting trail. I can understand where a rival coach, vying for the same player might use our troubles in some way, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what you’re talking about.

I can understand if you don’t wish to betray confidences. But if there’s any more you can comfortably share, of these behind-the-curtain goings-on, it would be greatly appreciated. I was under the impression that MM and his staff would be able to recruit as a once-great and rebuilding program. Convincing talented kids to come to UNLV shouldn’t be any harder than at least other Mountain West schools.

You’re implying that there are additional obstacles in our path. Any hints?

wtf-question-mark-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
Basketball circles are tiny. They're small. They don't whisper, they talk.

UNLV is a difficult sell right now. It will recover. For people that don't think the bumbling for 5 months starting last January didn't hurt, you're wrong. We came across as a school that hasn't got a clue what they're doing with basketball.

Menzies certainly can recruit. But it's difficult right now. It will dissipate.

Spiltoro..... do you ever have anything positive to say or do you wait till the losses to vent? The season was written off....just watch the games and support the team, bud. It's easy to bitch....it's harder to show support. Take the road less traveled for once.

Spiltoro..... do you ever have anything positive to say or do you wait till the losses to vent? The season was written off....just watch the games and support the team, bud. It's easy to bitch....it's harder to show support. Take the road less traveled for once.
Lol. 520 straight home games attended.

Things are beautiful. The sky is Rebel Red with Gray clouds.

I'm fine though, it's not pissing me off. Blood pressure isn't rising.

I'm pointing out that the environment isn't exactly conducive to success and it hasn't been.

Funny thing is, I'm being called out for being too positive, that I should be ripping this, that or the other. Worst season since the school was founded and I'm supposed to beat my chest about how we, like the Phoenix, will rise from the ashes and reclaim our Glory?

I'll sleep well, this isn't going to impact me. And if I want to a lighthearted laugh, I'll watch conference play again from DVR.

Reactions: Rebel Legend
So I'll take that as a no?
You'll find positives.

- Menzies can recruit
- we will recover
- none of this is Menzies fault

Don't know what has got you so upset. Nowhere in this thread have I been anything but cogent and respectful. If you deem it as too negative, maybe you are placing your own frustrations on me? No artist in the world can paint positives out of 20 loss seasons. It is what it is.

Reactions: Rod_the_Rebel
I really didn't see anything that Spilotro said as being all that negative. Facts the team is really bad, fact the team is in serious trouble and may only win a couple more games this season, fact Menzies is a good coach, fact Menzies can recruit, fact Menzies will fix things, but it will take a couple of season.

Everyone has the same criticisms after every game. They don't change, they just get said by different people. I'm simply asking to try and think of positives and focus on those before the entire fan base goes into this self fulfilling prophecy and the T&M because a literal ghost town. Tyrell green had 28 points tonight and was on fire. Jones had a great double double. Why can't we focus on that for once instead of farting out the same problems that everyone has known since the start of the season? That's all I meant and I do not believe I am wrong.

Everyone has the same criticisms after every game. They don't change, they just get said by different people. I'm simply asking to try and think of positives and focus on those before the entire fan base goes into this self fulfilling prophecy and the T&M because a literal ghost town. Tyrell green had 28 points tonight and was on fire. Jones had a great double double. Why can't we focus on that for once instead of farting out the same problems that everyone has known since the start of the season? That's all I meant and I do not believe I am wrong.
We've had players all year long with great indivual performances. But like they'd take the win instead of a great game, that's what fans focus on.

I already stated many times that I'm looking forward to what several of these younger guys will become and I'm excited to see them grow. I do think there's some good talent to work with. Much of it is inexperienced and underdeveloped, but it's there and only time can take care of it.

And all that is fine and well, but it's not the here and now.

It is already too late to save the T&M from becoming a ghost town. The damage was done by TKM, and all we can do now is give Menzies time, but that doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of people that do not want to go to the games to see UNLV lose, and in some cases lose badly.

UNLV is in the same situation as the football team was for Sanchez during his first season. Just like football still trying to get where we want after two full seasons, it will be the same situation for the basketball program. UNLV football finally will have a lot of upperclassmen with experience going into the third season and you are going to see things finally payoff with a very good shot at making a bowl game. Now the basketball program is also going to require 2-3 seasons to put UNLV back up on top of the conference, and things may not be very pretty for another year or longer.

Look guys, I’ve been with the Rebels for 40+ years. I consider myself, in addition to being very, very old, as much of a fan as anyone here. This season was doomed from the start. We all knew it going in. We can lay that at the feet of Tina Kunzer-Murphy and some influential boosters. Those of us with no particular power in the process, must still suffer the consequences.

Sniping at each other, while not unexpected in this sorriest season, is counter-productive. I’m not looking to take sides, but I don’t feel like JS has been particularly negative. I’ve seen him have opinions both positive and negative. I’ve appreciated his offerings as he is well-connected to the program. Other than some hard feelings towards one particular poster, I find his contributions quite informative. If you want to see true negativity, go back to the time that I believe his beef with lvhiker began. The purge of Jerry Tarkanian. I profess my love of the Rebels, but even I swore that I’d never set foot in the T&M again. The division after that, was deeper than you can possibly imagine.

Expressing frustration with the overall performance of our cellar-dwelling team, is perfectly understandable. Some may prefer to focus on individual efforts that are encouraging. That’s good.

JoJo’s emergence as a decent point-guard and team leader has been a fine thing. Dembele has such a huge upside. Zion Morgan’s move to starter as a freshman. Green has had some great efforts recently. Someone wants to celebrate CJ’s double-double today? Frankly, although I certainly appreciate his contributions, I also thought he was responsible for too many turnovers. Does that make me too negative? I suspect that if you asked Jones he’d say the same.

We’re all suffering this season together. Lesser supporters have surely checked-out by now. They’ll be back when MM has turned it around. That makes us few the die-hards. We should try to direct our anger outward, not inward. As some great American once said “Can’t we all get along?”
jumpy-boxer-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Facts are the facts.
The admin burned down this team.
This admin is little league.
It's not MM's fault ( I'm still impressed he was able to put anything together in such short notice )
Fans here have always and I mean always responded to the success of the team with turnout.
Expectations are and always will be very high for this fan base. There is no doubt we are a national brand.
Oh and Eustachy should be coach of the year. That dude can coach!

Reactions: JTthe2nd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT