ADVERTISEMENT

What happened

1rebelfan1

Conference POY
Dec 1, 2012
What exactly happened this this team? Hustlin Rebels were picked to finish first in the league and didn’t even make the ME tourney. Unfortunately I was not in town to attend and unable to watch many games. Does sonríen have some insight?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
What exactly happened this this team? Hustlin Rebels were picked to finish first in the league and didn’t even make the ME tourney. Unfortunately I was not in town to attend and unable to watch many games. Does sonríen have some insight?
I’d love to know, too.

I’ve followed them via Twitter mainly and saw some early success that did not carry over for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1rebelfan1
I watched quite a few games. I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was. It seemed as though they couldn't put pitching and hitting together. They didn't win very many close games.
Yeah, my first thought was that the pitching let them down. A 6.5 ERA for the team is tough to overcome unless you're an amazing hitting team. It seemed we went through stretches of good hitting, but also had plenty of games where we couldn't get much going. In the end, it's a team effort, and they just didn't get it done. It's a shame. Is baseball going to use any NIL money to get some guys in?

Reactions: j. spilotro
Yeah, my first thought was that the pitching let them down. A 6.5 ERA for the team is tough to overcome unless you're an amazing hitting team. It seemed we went through stretches of good hitting, but also had plenty of games where we couldn't get much going. In the end, it's a team effort, and they just didn't get it done. It's a shame. Is baseball going to use any NIL money to get some guys in?
Are we even at the point of a full schollie for each roster player yet? I can’t remember the numbers - team roster vs total full scholarships. Don’t you have to tackle that before NIL? Or do you give 7 full schollies to your best plus some sort of NIL, and have 14 players on half schollie? You’d have a much better idea how that stuff works traditionally vs now and I’m curious as to how it works.

Are we even at the point of a full schollie for each roster player yet? I can’t remember the numbers - team roster vs total full scholarships. Don’t you have to tackle that before NIL? Or do you give 7 full schollies to your best plus some sort of NIL, and have 14 players on half schollie? You’d have a much better idea how that stuff works traditionally vs now and I’m curious as to how it works.
No, not even close to a full schollie per player. You get around 12 scholarships to split between the players. Some schools give more full rides and have more walk ons, but most divide the schollies up as partials to about 25-30 players, and then have walk ons, or guys getting academic money. The total # of scholarships available is an NCAA thing though, and I believe it was put in place due to trying to give mens sports the same # of schollies as womens sports, so I'm not sure how much leeway there is.

This whole run of trans men in womens sports may kill that concept though, but who knows.

I would think that the NIL stuff could basically make it to where you could bring in players on a NIL package in addition to a partial schollie, which would make it equal to or above a "full ride". I'm sure there's money for that sort of thing at some schools, but I'm not sure how much there would be at UNLV. It just seems like it wouldn't take close to as much money as it would in football/basketball to bring in some portal guys.

No, not even close to a full schollie per player. You get around 12 scholarships to split between the players. Some schools give more full rides and have more walk ons, but most divide the schollies up as partials to about 25-30 players, and then have walk ons, or guys getting academic money. The total # of scholarships available is an NCAA thing though, and I believe it was put in place due to trying to give mens sports the same # of schollies as womens sports, so I'm not sure how much leeway there is.

This whole run of trans men in womens sports may kill that concept though, but who knows.

I would think that the NIL stuff could basically make it to where you could bring in players on a NIL package in addition to a partial schollie, which would make it equal to or above a "full ride". I'm sure there's money for that sort of thing at some schools, but I'm not sure how much there would be at UNLV. It just seems like it wouldn't take close to as much money as it would in football/basketball to bring in some portal guys.
Would you expect Marnell to pick up a chunk of any NILs? I don’t know the family but seems like they’d been baseball friendly in the past.

Would you expect Marnell to pick up a chunk of any NILs? I don’t know the family but seems like they’d been baseball friendly in the past.
I really don't know. Like I said, I'm not even sure if this is happening much yet with baseball, since it's not much of a revenue sport at most schools. That being said, if you were proactive and were able to get NIL deals for 5-6 real difference makers, it could totally change the face of the program, and possibly, for not a huge amount of money.

NCAA allows 11.7 scholarships in baseball to be divided amongst the team.

Some schools like LSU are in states that give free tuition to HS grads with a certain GPA and SAT/ACT requirements, the program is called TOPS, I think Georgia and FL have similar programs. So they can take in state baseball players and they are not paying tuition

Other schools like Stanford give free tuition to students whose family income is below a $150k pay no tuition and below $100k pay No tuition, room or board. So they can add players this way without using any of the 11.7 rides.

Let’s start a tranny baseball team. I’d watch..maybe.

6.5?? My son would love to pitch for UNLV. He has gone to enough basketball and football games that he is now a fan. His coach said he is more at the Charleston/Georgia Southern level of D1. But looking at that ERA maybe he was wrong and he could make UNLV LOL. He has three years to get bigger and get that pitching speed up!

6.5?? My son would love to pitch for UNLV. He has gone to enough basketball and football games that he is now a fan. His coach said he is more at the Charleston/Georgia Southern level of D1. But looking at that ERA maybe he was wrong and he could make UNLV LOL. He has three years to get bigger and get that pitching speed up!
The ERA's are typically fairly high at UNLV. It's a great hitters park, and the ball travels well here. But yeah, 6.5 is too high

The ERA's are typically fairly high at UNLV. It's a great hitters park, and the ball travels well here. But yeah, 6.5 is too high
I’m still having trouble comprehending why UNLV isn’t more competitive. You played … can you tell me, specifically? Is youth ball no longer strong in the Valley? I remember when UNLV was competitive for a decent stretch and they had a load of Silverado players … I grew up with the Whitakers playing ball nearly year round, the coaches there, my cousin played for them at Silverado during the same time.

Is it the scholarship situation, is it different/lesser at UNLV than other MWC schools?

I’ll be honest, I thought Chambers would have been the answer but I wasn’t fully aware of his personal issues … I thought he was the answer based upon his previous results.

But UNLV baseball, as far as I can see it - should not struggle. Help me out here. Just wrong hires or is it solely recruiting? What gives?

I’m still having trouble comprehending why UNLV isn’t more competitive. You played … can you tell me, specifically? Is youth ball no longer strong in the Valley? I remember when UNLV was competitive for a decent stretch and they had a load of Silverado players … I grew up with the Whitakers playing ball nearly year round, the coaches there, my cousin played for them at Silverado during the same time.

Is it the scholarship situation, is it different/lesser at UNLV than other MWC schools?

I’ll be honest, I thought Chambers would have been the answer but I wasn’t fully aware of his personal issues … I thought he was the answer based upon his previous results.

But UNLV baseball, as far as I can see it - should not struggle. Help me out here. Just wrong hires or is it solely recruiting? What gives?
It's hard to say. There's tons of talent locally, so that's definitely not the cause. IMO, it comes down to coaching and roster management. If you have great hitting but not much pitching, you'll be fun to watch but not win the big games. If you're great pitching but crappy hitting, you'll still win some games, but probably will lose your fair share due to lack of offense. It seems like we've had a hard time getting both at the same time.

The scholly situation is similar everywhere, so that shouldn't be an issue. The facilities now are 1st class, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. There's tons of talent locally, so that's definitely not the cause. IMO, it comes down to coaching and roster management. If you have great hitting but not much pitching, you'll be fun to watch but not win the big games. If you're great pitching but crappy hitting, you'll still win some games, but probably will lose your fair share due to lack of offense. It seems like we've had a hard time getting both at the same time.

The scholly situation is similar everywhere, so that shouldn't be an issue. The facilities now are 1st class, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just need to build the culture and get the right guys developing on both sides of the ball. Easy to say but harder to accomplish.
Have they been getting the local guys or have they been going elsewhere? We played in a tourney with the Vegas Canes 16U and they were stacked. They should be getting some of those players.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

The scholly situation is similar everywhere, so that shouldn't be an issue. The facilities now are 1st class, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just need to build the culture and get the right guys developing on both sides of the ball. Easy to say but harder to accomplish.
So, in a nutshell …. It’s coaching that’s been the problem … not admin, not recruiting or budget … is UNLV in the right ballpark with coaching and coaching staff pay or do we lowball?

Why don’t you go for it? ;)

Have they been getting the local guys or have they been going elsewhere? We played in a tourney with the Vegas Canes 16U and they were stacked. They should be getting some of those players.
They've rarely held on to the best local players. Not sure that will change unless they can entice them with NIL deals or something. Some locals have turned out to be really good, but a lot of the local kids have gone out of town for college or been drafted

They've rarely held on to the best local players. Not sure that will change unless they can entice them with NIL deals or something. Some locals have turned out to be really good, but a lot of the local kids have gone out of town for college or been drafted
Are the Marnell’s still large contributors? Would that be the route for NIL?

So, in a nutshell …. It’s coaching that’s been the problem … not admin, not recruiting or budget … is UNLV in the right ballpark with coaching and coaching staff pay or do we lowball?

Why don’t you go for it? ;)
LOL. I mean, ultimately the coaches are responsible for the product, right? I'm not too close to the current group of coaches, admin, etc, so hard to say if there are other dynamics at play. I guess when you look at it from a budget stand point, yes, that is on the admin. I have no idea how much we pay our current coach, but know that years ago, we lost Schlossnagle to TCU after a successful short stint at UNLV. I'm sure money was part of it. But you could say that about any place or sport. Throw more money at it, and hypothetically, you should improve...unless you're the NY Mets.

I'm not sure if the NIL money has gotten high for baseball yet, but that seems like a good way to improve quickly. We have great facilities, so if they can throw some money to improve the team, it could make a difference pretty quickly.

LOL. I mean, ultimately the coaches are responsible for the product, right? I'm not too close to the current group of coaches, admin, etc, so hard to say if there are other dynamics at play. I guess when you look at it from a budget stand point, yes, that is on the admin. I have no idea how much we pay our current coach, but know that years ago, we lost Schlossnagle to TCU after a successful short stint at UNLV. I'm sure money was part of it. But you could say that about any place or sport. Throw more money at it, and hypothetically, you should improve...unless you're the NY Mets.

I'm not sure if the NIL money has gotten high for baseball yet, but that seems like a good way to improve quickly. We have great facilities, so if they can throw some money to improve the team, it could make a difference pretty quickly.
You're right. Throw a few hundred thousand at three or four pitchers and you should get a really nice rotation.

Last edited:
That should be priority one a coach who can keep a few in your backyard.

Obviously, players have to perform too though. They can be good players, coached up well, but not perform at critical times, and it results in a loss. That's the beauty of sports, it's all related. Make good hires, recruit good players, coach them well, then hit the field and see how it shakes out.

I hope it didn't come across as me badmouthing our current or previous coaches, that was not my intention. I think if you asked any coach, they would take the blame for their teams performance when they underperform.

I hope it didn't come across as me badmouthing our current or previous coaches, that was not my intention. I think if you asked any coach, they would take the blame for their teams performance when they underperform.
I didn’t take it that way. I’ve seen quality coaches fail and poor coaches succeed to a degree. Fit has a lot to do with it.

I swore that Chambers was the answer we were all looking for, too (thought that about Rice, but that's another story).

I played for him when he just got to Gorman so I wasn't aware of any of his adult habits, except for nearly fighting one of the pitchers on the team... but we don't need to talk about how he and I jawed.

Honestly, I was shocked that Marnell contributed to our school/baseball team since he went to UofA. Obviously, he and Chambers still shared the bond from Gorman.

Those schools probably have equal or not better baseball programs than UNLV. Massachusetts not exactly the hot bed of baseball but both of my brother in laws got multiple scholarship offers. One went to UMass and was drafted by the Mets in the 10th round the other to Northeastern played 4 years but arm trouble ended his playing career. They both made the NCAA tournament as well which doesn’t happen often at those schools.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Those schools probably have equal or not better baseball programs than UNLV. Massachusetts not exactly the hot bed of baseball but both of my brother in laws got multiple scholarship offers. One went to UMass and was drafted by the Mets in the 10th round the other to Northeastern played 4 years but arm trouble ended his playing career. They both made the NCAA tournament as well which doesn’t happen often at those schools.
This is true though they just had a player drafted in the first round. They have more luck with pitchers like your in laws because they don’t pitch year round like warmer states. My son starts with a new travel team next year and they have had 3 players drafted every year for like 7-8 straight years most of them pitchers. The coach said the reason is usage rates in off season.

He can start talking with coaches a year from now so we will see if UNLV has interest. He has to get bigger and stronger.

This is true though they just had a player drafted in the first round. They have more luck with pitchers like your in laws because they don’t pitch year round like warmer states. My son starts with a new travel team next year and they have had 3 players drafted every year for like 7-8 straight years most of them pitchers. The coach said the reason is usage rates in off season.

He can start talking with coaches a year from now so we will see if UNLV has interest. He has to get bigger and stronger.
By any chance does he play for GBG? My nephews play for that club.

By any chance does he play for GBG? My nephews play for that club.
No but half of his high school teammates do. He would like to but they are too far from us I’m not driving an hour to and an hour back from practice 3 days a week. He played for L&M Baseball the last three years and has moved to NEB (Northeast Baseball) next season. GBG is a very good organization as well though. I am sure your nephews have had a very good experience with them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT