ADVERTISEMENT

We'll Be Alright

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Call me crazy, naive, stupid, a CTS-nut-hugger, whatever you want; I think we'll be alright. Why? In short, I really think this was a freak loss, considering all of the things below. Bear in mind, some of these are outside Rebs control, some are just strokes of luck, and others are totally controllable and need to get better. But again, just a cocktail of bad things that lead to a loss.

- No film on Howard
- Newton's first TD scamper when 2 guys knock each other off the tackle
- 2 missed FG
- Fumble-6. Lucky bounce. Right in lineman's hands. Formation brought all Rebels' speed to other side. No one to stop return. Not to mention Rebs were driving and on Howard 20. Direct 7, 10, or 14 point swing
- Fumble KO return. Wind played a role, as did the fact it was a freshman in a weird spot. Short field and quick TD.
- Late fumble stops any hope of OT/late win
- New QB and new center. Bad snaps early, snap counts seemed off (false starts). Probably cost us at least 8 points (FG vs. TDs)

I'm not throwing in the towel. Stuff happens. A lot of stuff happened tonight. We'll be 1-1 in a week.

Call me crazy, naive, stupid, a CTS-nut-hugger, whatever you want; I think we'll be alright. Why? In short, I really think this was a freak loss, considering all of the things below. Bear in mind, some of these are outside Rebs control, some are just strokes of luck, and others are totally controllable and need to get better. But again, just a cocktail of bad things that lead to a loss.

- No film on Howard
- 2 missed FG
- Fumble-6. Lucky bounce. Right in lineman's hands. Formation brought all Rebels' speed to other side. No one to stop return. Not to mention Rebs were driving and on Howard 20. Direct 7, 10, or 14 point swing
- Fumble KO return. Wind played a role, as did the fact it was a freshman in a weird spot. Short field and quick TD.
- New QB and new center. Bad snaps early, snap counts seemed off (false starts). Probably cost us at least 8 points (FG vs. TDs)

I'm not throwing in the towel. Stuff happens. A lot of stuff happened tonight. We'll be 1-1 in a week.
To many excuses, bottom line we lost to a very weak team that we should have driven out the building. We win 1-2 games this year and Sanchez and company are out

To many excuses, bottom line we lost to a very weak team that we should have driven out the building. We win 1-2 games this year and Sanchez and company are out
These aren't "excuses". Bottom line, we should have won that game, and we should have won it convincingly. I'm not excusing the loss. Trust me, I was freakin pissed about the loss last night, and I don't feel any better about it this morning. But as I see it, I think this game will be more of a blip on the radar than it is an indicator of how our season is going to go.

My reasons for optimism:

- Downfield coverage was really good all night. Considering that covering the deep ball was one of our biggest weaknesses last year, I'm hopeful that that problem might be resolved.
- The rushing attack looked like what we expected.
- We had a 16 yard punt return. You know how many TOTAL punt return yards we had last year? Anyone, anyone?... -1 yard. Take away the 11 yards we were credited on our punt block/TD against CMU, and we really had -12. No single punt return last year was over 10 yards.
- I'm hopeful that the false starts and snapping issues will be resolved. Brand new QB. Brand new center. Game experience will clean those things up. If we didn't have those issues, we likely have at least 8 more points.
- Plain and simple: Newton killed us. Aside from Ohio State, USU is really the only other team we'll face with a dual-threat QB. AFA and UNM run option schemes where the QB is a run threat, but that's a much different scheme than what Newton threw at us yesterday.

There is a lot of blame to go on the coaching staff for yesterday. Cotton's decision to go in shotgun/pistol after the long Boyd catch put us on the goal line was moronic. Baer needed to be better at getting guys to defend the run/pass option plays. Baer had to get guys to contain edges and not allow rush to leak outside. We might have run a QB spy a little, but we should have done it more.

But I'm also not ready to blame it all on coaches. Did coaching cause Williams to cough it up and give away a 75-yard fumble return? Did coaching cause Tjechman (sp?) to have terrible ball security and give up that fumble? Did our coaches tell Pantels to miss those 2 FG just to keep things interesting?

I'm also not gonna get my man panties in a twist over "biggest upset in CFB history". This was week 1. Howard with London, Newton and co. were a complete unknown — not only to our coaches, but also to oddsmakers. We were an unknown with a brand new QB, center, and defense.

We'll be aright. And we'll be 1-1 next Saturday night.

I've seen some stunning performances , but the Rebels lack of preparation last night could have been measured by Richter scale.

309 yards allowed rushing there is no hiding from that. That is not something that gets fixed or cleaned up.

But I'm also not ready to blame it all on coaches. Didcoaching cause Williams to cough it up and give away a 75-yard fumble return? Did coaching causeTjechman (sp?) to have terrible ball security and give up that fumble? Did our coaches tell Pantels to miss those 2 FG just to keep things interesting?

Argument could be made that yes, it is the coaches fault, for all of those questions. It's the coaches responsibility to teach fundamentals, ball security being one of the most important of those.

Reactions: goraphareb
The team was not prepared to play last night. Just like how the team did not come prepared vs Reno last year. That my friend is blamed on the Coaches. It should not have come to 2 fumbles and freaking Prantels missing 2 fg's.

The team was not prepared to play last night. Just like how the team did not come prepared vs Reno last year. That my friend is blamed on the Coaches. It should not have come to 2 fumbles and freaking Prantels missing 2 fg's.
I agree. They did not look ready to play.

These aren't "excuses". Bottom line, we should have won that game, and we should have won it convincingly. I'm not excusing the loss. Trust me, I was freakin pissed about the loss last night, and I don't feel any better about it this morning. But as I see it, I think this game will be more of a blip on the radar than it is an indicator of how our season is going to go.

My reasons for optimism:

- Downfield coverage was really good all night. Considering that covering the deep ball was one of our biggest weaknesses last year, I'm hopeful that that problem might be resolved.
- We had a 16 yard punt return. You know how many TOTAL punt return yards we had last year? Anyone, anyone?... -1 yard. Take away the 11 yards we were credited on our punt block/TD against CMU, and we really had -12. No single punt return last year was over 10 yards.
- I'm hopeful that the false starts and snapping issues will be resolved. Brand new QB. Brand new center. Game experience will clean those things up. If we didn't have those issues, we likely have at least 8 more points.
- Plain and simple: Newton killed us. Aside from Ohio State, USU is really the only other team we'll face with a dual-threat QB. AFA and UNM run option schemes where the QB is a run threat, but that's a much different scheme than what Newton threw at us yesterday.

There is a lot of blame to go on the coaching staff for yesterday. Cotton's decision to go in shotgun/pistol after the long Boyd catch put us on the goal line was moronic. Baer needed to be better at getting guys to defend the run/pass option plays. Baer had to get guys to contain edges and not allow rush to leak outside. We might have run a QB spy a little, but we should have done it more.

But I'm also not ready to blame it all on coaches. Did coaching cause Williams to cough it up and give away a 75-yard fumble return? Did coaching cause Tjechman (sp?) to have terrible ball security and give up that fumble? Did our coaches tell Pantels to miss those 2 FG just to keep things interesting?

I'm also not gonna get my man panties in a twist over "biggest upset in CFB history". This was week 1. Howard with London, Newton and co. were a complete unknown — not only to our coaches, but also to oddsmakers. We were an unknown with a brand new QB, center, and defense.

This has to be a joke.

I agree. They did not look ready to play.
It's been a common thread. Not every time, not every game.... happened in a quarter of the games last year. I didn't expect we'd be up to par talent wise in the first couple of years. But I did expect consistent grit and effort. That's been the most disappointing aspect to me.

Look. We had a bad defense last year, and that defense lost a lot of its best players. How anyone could expect this years defense to be better was just drinking kool-aide. This team could set some ridiculous school record for rushing yards and points given up in one season.

My reasons for optimism:

Number one : Need to blitz once in a while. Number two Rebels have better athletes I assume but could not fight off blocks by their wide receivers in the read option. Got to want it more than the other guy (effort) .

Number one : Need to blitz once in a while. Number two Rebels have better athletes I assume but could not fight off blocks by their wide receivers in the read option. Got to want it more than the other guy (effort) .
Tony is so fiery and effort should be within somebody, so that's been the biggest disappointment to me.

It would be "(too) many excuses"...bugs the friggen crap out of me when people don't know how to use simple elementary English !!! TWO O's ..get it right !!! or go back to 4th grade and learn English AGAIN !!!

Rule number one of He Said Opposite Of What I Wanna Hear Club is, grammar Nazi!

Reactions: LasVegasReb

- No film on Howard
- 2 missed FG

Good stuff. I think it's a fluke where we were caught in a perfect storm converging in Howard's favor. Howard is a great deal better than most expected but it still sucks. I don't like it one bit but now you just get up off the canvas and fight like hell. The next game is going to tell us a lot about this team.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Call me crazy, naive, stupid, a CTS-nut-hugger, whatever you want; I think we'll be alright. Why? In short, I really think this was a freak loss, considering all of the things below. Bear in mind, some of these are outside Rebs control, some are just strokes of luck, and others are totally controllable and need to get better. But again, just a cocktail of bad things that lead to a loss. ...

Smart man.

How many are truly surprised by the game yesterday. As in, I would never think in a hundred years that we would convincingly? I'm just curious.

Me? I am not that surprised. I think this team has some talent, more talent than Idaho. After the week one showing, I wasn't necessarily confident in a W, but still realized that we have the guys to win that game.

Also, we didn't play lights out either. On either side of the ball. That is more promising to me. They still have a huge uphill battle to get to 5+ wins this year. But there is potential. Hopefully they can realize some of it.

How many are truly surprised by the game yesterday. As in, I would never think in a hundred years that we would convincingly? I'm just curious.

Me? I am not that surprised. I think this team has some talent, more talent than Idaho. After the week one showing, I wasn't necessarily confident in a W, but still realized that we have the guys to win that game.

Also, we didn't play lights out either. On either side of the ball. That is more promising to me. They still have a huge uphill battle to get to 5+ wins this year. But there is potential. Hopefully they can realize some of it.
I didn't expect to win that convincingly but did play money line Rebels. Also had money line Boise and that ended up a bad beat, the morons.

But, quite honestly, it's kinda what I expected out of the offense. Defensively, yeah, we were much better than previously but Idaho did UNLV all sorts of favors to make the defense "look" better. That much confusion in the secondary is a cause for concern. Multiple times guys running downfield without a UNLV guy within 5 yards.

But overall, good bounce back game for the Rebs. For sure.

I did not expect to blow them out. Having said that I agree that they heped us out a lot. Missed passes, bad passes, missed tackles. Run defense looke respectable. A good QB on a good day would have hurt us badly. The offense did a nice job, however.

Reactions: willlevi
Good stuff. I think it's a fluke where we were caught in a perfect storm converging in Howard's favor. Howard is a great deal better than most expected but it still sucks. I don't like it one bit but now you just get up off the canvas and fight like hell. The next game is going to tell us a lot about this team.
Since we're quoting ourselves :sunglasses:, I think we learned a lot about our team last night. Not everything but a lot and I like it. :cool2:

Since we're quoting ourselves :sunglasses:, I think we learned a lot about our team last night. Not everything but a lot and I like it. :cool2:

I completely agree Rebel bro. We cought a plane (1800 miles) and bought seets on the 49-50 yard line and took my entire family at 60.00/seat. I had not seen them win in 7 years. So...I thought this game would be a slam WRONG. But, I will do it again next year. I was there (college) in the Sam King beat YBU days. So I am infected. :sunglasses:

I completely agree Rebel bro. We cought a plane (1800 miles) and bought seets on the 49-50 yard line and took my entire family at 60.00/seat. I had not seen them win in 7 years. So...I thought this game would be a slam WRONG. But, I will do it again next year. I was there (college) in the Sam King beat YBU days. So I am infected. :sunglasses:
Very cool. I'm giving you some credit for the win [cheers]

Also had money line Boise and that ended up a bad beat, the morons.

Ugh. Tough loss for the conference. Gave it away. And I thought BSU made a big mistake not going for 2 in the 2nd OT.

WSU had the momentum for most of 4th quarter and OT. BSU had 3rd and 15 or so and scored, and for that one second, they had WSU on their heels. Should have gone for the dagger right there. You're Boise State. I k ow you've got a play in that playbook where you're gonna convert that 2PC almost every time.

As soon as they went for PAT, it felt like WSU was gonna take it.

I was up at the game at bywho when UNLV won. Never seen so many shocked people after the last TD!

I was at unlv when we kicked butt on ybu. I heard comments like this is a tune up game, small stadium and other such comments. My fovirite was lavel edwaeds saying we will never play unlv again after our victory. Lol so proud was he said yoda.

I didn't expect to win that convincingly but did play money line Rebels. Also had money line Boise and that ended up a bad beat, the morons.

But, quite honestly, it's kinda what I expected out of the offense. Defensively, yeah, we were much better than previously but Idaho did UNLV all sorts of favors to make the defense "look" better. That much confusion in the secondary is a cause for concern. Multiple times guys running downfield without a UNLV guy within 5 yards.

But overall, good bounce back game for the Rebs. For sure.

To me a lot of those open receivers looked to be more of a schematic choice vs a "getting beat" situation by the player. It seemed that we played bend not break D trying to not getting beat deep. Many of those easy completions, the DB was playing far off of them and keeping them in front of them. A few times there were obvious missed assignments, but the bulk was just Idaho taking what we were giving them. And to the credit of Baer, it worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT