ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Coach Sanchez event

spudreb

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2002
Who went? What was attendance in relation to room size? I imagine there was a healthy, energetic buzz about UNLV football (strange as that may sound to us!). Lets hear about it!

The place was jam packed, I was somewhat surprised. All the coaches were there, talked to a couple coaches - the younger ones are a pretty excitable lot. Coach Baer (DC) was at SJSU 2 years ago, he and Cotton are definitely the experienced guys. Some local HS coaches were there, talking about how they implemented some stuff he taught at clinics and how well it worked. Definitely well versed in the game and also a very frank person, he's been everywhere as well. He's done these rebuilds before.

Coach Christian (RBs/ST) is a real character, great recruiter and very intense. He was telling us a story of how he got a kid at Houston after most thought he was about to commit to Notre Dame. The coaches at UH there were in a bit of shock that he pulled it off, but I bet this guy will have a solid closure rate. He said he has some good guys lined up already.

Coach Belton (strength) is another intense guy, extremely outgoing as well. He's the type that is gonna just walk up to you anywhere in town if your wearing Rebel gear to talk about the team. He was at Baylor when they sucked, through turning the whole thing around (think he came in with Briles). Has a few RG III stories, he was on the Sarkisian staff in Washington then came down to USC. Super down to earth. At first I thought he was a student manager, he looks like he could be a Jr in college.

Those were the only ones I got to talk to really, it was pretty busy there. Saw a few former players in there including Ryan Wolfe, Casey Flair, and Ray Cheetany. They all seemed to be doing very well also.

This post was edited on 1/10 11:28 AM by RebboBiscuit

Thanks, RB. I like all I'm hearing about the staff. I like the fact that we've got some guys who've been through successful rebuilds. Also like the fact that the place was packed. I'm really jazzed for the upcoming season. I'm not thinking we'll see any huge turnaround in wins-losses (a modest one, tho) but I think we'll be a lot more competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT