ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread UNLV vs. Seton Hall

Seton Hall came out with home court advantage and set a VERY physical tone, and the refs are letting them really get some contact. I'm not sure we were ready for the athleticism and polish of Seton Hall's team, which is weird because that should have been a concern. I have no beef with it as long as it's consistent.

You punch us in the mouth early we sort of walk around with surprised looks on our faces. Kevin also, holding on to those time outs when you could just FEEL big runs coming really made me frustrated.

Seton Hall is a very good team, the Big East is a really tough and physical league. I don't think we have the offense to get back in this especially given our outside shooting. I would like to see us cut the lead to single digits rather than let it get to 25. But Seton Hall is punching us in the mouth and we're hoping that someone will break it up.

Seton Hall came out with home court advantage and set a VERY physical tone, and the refs are letting them really get some contact. I'm not sure we were ready for the athleticism and polish of Seton Hall's team, which is weird because that should have been a concern. I have no beef with it as long as it's consistent.

You punch us in the mouth early we sort of walk around with surprised looks on our faces. Kevin also, holding on to those time outs when you could just FEEL big runs coming really made me frustrated.

Seton Hall is a very good team, the Big East is a really tough and physical league. I don't think we have the offense to get back in this especially given our outside shooting. I would like to see us cut the lead to single digits rather than let it get to 25. But Seton Hall is punching us in the mouth and we're hoping that someone will break it up.
Well said here!

Totally outclassed this game. 18 assists to 7 for us. Half our turnovers. 8 steals to our 1. We're rebounding well though!

Did anyone think they'd call fouls in the NIT? BC had what like 6 called all night.. it's the NIT

Did anyone think they'd call fouls in the NIT? BC had what like 6 called all night.. it's the NIT
Wouldn’t matter..

We mailed it in the first half. The Boone twin experiment has failed.

Thanks for your 1 season contribution to the program.

At its worse, this is Kruger ball. Getting railed in the post season against live body competitition on the roads

I’ve heard all the excuses on the board..family issues, broken foot from high school, bad refs.

It’s all an exercise in futility.

Gonna be a long long off season. Year 5 in a reloading year.

We’re stuck with a lame duck coach.

Hall players are gassed but the Rebs still isn't pushing the pace....we deserve to lose this game.

I don’t think the Rebels had much interest. Maybe they were tired. I don’t buy the whole gassed 20 year old thing though, never have. To an extent, maybe in some more rare circumstances. They’re prime athletes, 3 games in a week after a season … just don’t see it.

It’s why I don’t like these tournaments. Though everybody likes to compete, for many, and I’ve seen it very first hand - the disappointment of a non-NCAA season is heavy. All you have to do is look at how many teams rejected this tournament. Their friends and ex teammates are on the big stage; the very thing they focused on growing up isn’t happening to them. Most go through the motions, I think that’s what we saw tonight. Even SH wasn’t great; they were porous and sloppy at times.

Still, given that they blew any chance at real post season within a month, they ended fairly well and it’s better than the typical. But it also saved a job, it looks like. I don’t have any great hopes for longer term but I sure as hell hate coaching searches (because of our finishes). But I think a step forward isn’t made (an at large), I’m pretty certain we will be in the middle of a coaching search this time next year.

Things will move fast now... Portal has been open for some time. If Kevin is staying, those that need to move on should enter the portal quickly. If hes not, Harper needs to make a move quickly. I think he stays due to the NIT run, but a 20 point blowout on the road isnt going to feel good or help his cause if there was still any back room conversations happening. Either way, there needs to be a lot of information flowing here shortly from guys hoping into portal or other important decisions.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I guess fatigue could have something to do with it. I don’t know where Dedan ranks among freshman with minutes played and he is the train that makes the engine go. I honestly thought he’d tucker out at about 25 games given his number of minutes, the responsibility he carried and how much the team depended on his performance … so maybe he did fade at the end and it had a significant impact.

I honestly think it’s about the mental makeup of this team, beginning of the year Kalib had a DUI, keylan was ineligible because our reasoning was dumb for the waiver.

Just not very strong season to me, considering the veterans on it. Once SH started making 8-9 consecutive buckets tonight, that was it. They folded, just like the AFA game, and you could just see DEFEAT written all over them.

CKK went all out last offseason and did very well, the Las Vegas Sun had a prediction article as they always do, and predicted that unlvmbb would win 25 games and go dancing. We won 19 or 21 depending on if you want to count the exhibition games. There’s clearly talent to win and go to the dance, yet they didn’t. How can you shred the #12 team in the country and then get boatraced by AFA at home?

Does not make any sense, and I can only figure that this season was a roller coaster because guys were not all in. I would not call the season a success and not a failure exactly, but it wasn’t good. CKK needs to get guys with fire in their belly’s, guys that give a shit about winning.

I honestly think it’s about the mental makeup of this team, beginning of the year Kalib had a DUI, keylan was ineligible because our reasoning was dumb for the waiver.

Just not very strong season to me, considering the veterans on it. Once SH started making 8-9 consecutive buckets tonight, that was it. They folded, just like the AFA game, and you could just see DEFEAT written all over them.

CKK went all out last offseason and did very well, the Las Vegas Sun had a prediction article as they always do, and predicted that unlvmbb would win 25 games and go dancing. We won 19 or 21 depending on if you want to count the exhibition games. There’s clearly talent to win and go to the dance, yet they didn’t. How can you shred the #12 team in the country and then get boatraced by AFA at home?

Does not make any sense, and I can only figure that this season was a roller coaster because guys were not all in. I would not call the season a success and not a failure exactly, but it wasn’t good. CKK needs to get guys with fire in their belly’s, guys that give a shit about winning.
I’m probably one of the few that considers it a not good season. Measuring from pre-season expectations, my own, you compete for an NCAA bid. We didn’t. We were only one of thr top 7 finishers not to get a bid and we weren’t a tiny bit close and we backed into an NIT with so many teams rejecting it. So from that macro view of the season, it wasn’t good. Some good wins along the course of the season, some really bad losses too. When they played well, they seemed top 50. When they played poorly, they were bottom 100. In comparison to the last several seasons, it was “good” but we are in the midst of a historic NCAAT drought; so it’s all relative.

I just hope we get several more “dogs” as tripoda puts it. We’ve got a lot of easily defeated players, zero mental toughness. A couple of keepers in that regard, but that’s it.

We will see how he does in the portal. But I can pretty much guarantee we will get multiple site consensus 12/8/4 studs that end up 3/1/1.

I’d like to see us start the season far more ready than this season against a similar type OOC schedule. Some actual cohesion instead of drunken pick up ball that allows teams like Howard to beat us or even be close to us.

I’d like to see some capable shooters to help out Dedan. I’d like to see some players that are more than above average but inconsistent in one area and subpar of the others.

People think we are close. I think we still have a lot of work.

I’m probably one of the few that considers it a not good season. Measuring from pre-season expectations, my own, you compete for an NCAA bid. We didn’t. We were only one of thr top 7 finishers not to get a bid and we weren’t a tiny bit close and we backed into an NIT with so many teams rejecting it. So from that macro view of the season, it wasn’t good. Some good wins along the course of the season, some really bad losses too. When they played well, they seemed top 50. When they played poorly, they were bottom 100. In comparison to the last several seasons, it was “good” but we are in the midst of a historic NCAAT drought; so it’s all relative.

I just hope we get several more “dogs” as tripoda puts it. We’ve got a lot of easily defeated players, zero mental toughness. A couple of keepers in that regard, but that’s it.

We will see how he does in the portal. But I can pretty much guarantee we will get multiple site consensus 12/8/4 studs that end up 3/1/1.

I’d like to see us start the season far more ready than this season against a similar type OOC schedule. Some actual cohesion instead of drunken pick up ball that allows teams like Howard to beat us or even be close to us.

I’d like to see some capable shooters to help out Dedan. I’d like to see some players that are more than above average but inconsistent in one area and subpar of the others.

A ton left 2 do. I think CKK leaving is inevitable . Wished we just reset now. Tired of this mediocrity. Too inconsistent. Have not had a solid team build in 3 years. DJ the Freshman is the main reason CKK is still our coach.100 plus teams make it to post season .not including CBI Yet it took some luck to make it in year 3. Too many flaws in his style. Better suited for a div II school . Until he learns more.

Certainly think that the case could be made for both... did making the NIT and winning 2 games show that the team just missed its goal but there was definitely something there to build on.. IDK
Or does Harper pull the Arroyo move and let him go despite having the culmination to a "building season" ie- beating Reno.

The roster is going to see alot of turnover again, I dont care what people think we should keep on the roster, outside Whaley/DTJ there really isnt anyone Id be disappointed that we arent seeing back. Id rather try to build a decent roster of the right caliber and at the right spots instead of getting castoffs from bigger schools. I dont want to see another group of 6-2, 6-3 guards that cant shoot unless they actually can shoot at like 40% or better. So yeah theres a good reason/time to make a move rather than wait another year, bu some will argue that doing so will ruin the program and that we have no money and that no one wants the job so we should just keep him...

Certainly think that the case could be made for both... did making the NIT and winning 2 games show that the team just missed its goal but there was definitely something there to build on.. IDK
Or does Harper pull the Arroyo move and let him go despite having the culmination to a "building season" ie- beating Reno.

The roster is going to see alot of turnover again, I dont care what people think we should keep on the roster, outside Whaley/DTJ there really isnt anyone Id be disappointed that we arent seeing back. Id rather try to build a decent roster of the right caliber and at the right spots instead of getting castoffs from bigger schools. I dont want to see another group of 6-2, 6-3 guards that cant shoot unless they actually can shoot at like 40% or better. So yeah theres a good reason/time to make a move rather than wait another year, bu some will argue that doing so will ruin the program and that we have no money and that no one wants the job so we should just keep him...
There is at least 3 coaches in the MWC that are better than CKK that would jump at the chance to take the job.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
I am holding out hope that the AD pulls an Arroyo type of surprise but I don’t think so.. not looking forward to another miserable year under Kevin!

Reactions: Rebel Hoya

I think tonight showed how far off we really are. Remember SH was first team out and they had some real “dogs” (as you put it) on their team. They were confident and they knew they were going to win tonight. We just folded like a cheap Chinese tent once they got rolling. Just not mentally tough this season for whatever reason.

They had a nice little run in conference but the damage was done. It’s another what if/coulda season under CKK. We were supposed to be in the NIT in year one, but we blew the away game in New Mexico. Last year, hot start and the wheels came off. This year a roller coaster of a season I’ve never seen at unlv.

Maybe Lon Kruger can scout some air conditioning vs Plumbers game and find the next Corey Bailey. Need some guys that give a shit and will run through a wall to get a rebound.

I am holding out hope that the AD pulls an Arroyo type of surprise but I don’t think so.. not looking forward to another miserable year under Kevin!
Yup. I've already resigned myself to accepting that CKK will be back. And, we will be here same time same place next year talking about why has God abandoned our basketball program.

Just saw that seton hall destroyed Georgia in the F4 NIT game. Either Seton Hall is loaded and should have made the NCAA field or we suck and Seton Hall had an easy pathway to the finals.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Just saw that seton hall destroyed Georgia in the F4 NIT game. Either Seton Hall is loaded and should have made the NCAA field or we suck and Seton Hall had an easy pathway to the finals.
Not a Seton Hall expert, but from the talking heads I've heard, they should have been in the dance.

🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT