ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread UNLV vs Arkansas State

unreal. armani limping out there. 40 to 10. does cts not want us to see what Oblad has?

Wow. Could have been a different game. This fiasco, like so many before, is on Sanchez.

I'm glad that Oblad kid was on the bench most of the game. Our secondary would have had a long night. They are the weakest point of our defense for sure.

I'm glad that Oblad kid was on the bench most of the game. Our secondary would have had a long night. They are the weakest point of our defense for sure.
I didn't get this until I realized you are on the other side lol. Our coach was prepping for Northwestern. He didn't want to show our entire game plan.

I read through a lot of you guy's posts touting Oblad and thought it was just a classic case of the "backup QB being the most popular guy on the team", but watching him come off the bench and put together a nice drive, I agree. If your coaches watched any film on us from the SMU game they would have quickly realized that they could have picked apart our secondary with a decent passer.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
We talked at the game tonight, and actually every year, with fans around us. The topic was how this is the same stuff we have been seeing almost every year for 35 seasons. And, yet, we fall for it every year.
"UNLV is bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced. Bowl game this year.!"
Yeah, right.

I read through a lot of you guy's posts touting Oblad and thought it was just a classic case of the "backup QB being the most popular guy on the team", but watching him come off the bench and put together a nice drive, I agree. If your coaches watched any film on us from the SMU game they would have quickly realized that they could have picked apart our secondary with a decent passer.

I knew from the get go that the stAte staff would basically force Armani to make throws into tight windows and work hard to stop the run. Armani can be electric, but he needs to make a lot of easy throws early and use those to open up him making plays with his legs. I don't think anyone was prepared for how much pressure you guys generated just bringing 3-4 DL on passing downs, our OL was supposed to be a strength and those Red Wolf boys, especially 15 were a pack of nightmares all night. Your LBs ran free and your safeties got to cheat up in the box because there was no way we were challenging you vertically. This is basically a script in how to beat UNLV, regardless of how well you played on offense.

I figured this would be an L because I know Arkansas State has a really nice, well built program and is generally well-coached--you don't go to 8 straight bowl games on accident--but I really thought this was going to be a little closer. I don't think I was prepared for how easily and thoroughly you were going to win in the trenches, but boy did you ever. Getting the headman back gave y'all a nice psychological lift too. You guys might be a little weak in the secondary, but we're as bad a passing team as you're going to see this year. As you could probably tell when we're down 26 and run 10 successive running plays. Regardless, I feel like west coast fans don't understand how high the quality of football they play in the Sun Belt truly is, and how good a program you guys have built down in Jonesboro.

Good luck with the rest of your season, go win the Sun Belt!

I knew from the get go that the stAte staff would basically force Armani to make throws into tight windows and work hard to stop the run. Armani can be electric, but he needs to make a lot of easy throws early and use those to open up him making plays with his legs. I don't think anyone was prepared for how much pressure you guys generated just bringing 3-4 DL on passing downs, our OL was supposed to be a strength and those Red Wolf boys, especially 15 were a pack of nightmares all night. Your LBs ran free and your safeties got to cheat up in the box because there was no way we were challenging you vertically. This is basically a script in how to beat UNLV, regardless of how well you played on offense.

I figured this would be an L because I know Arkansas State has a really nice, well built program and is generally well-coached--you don't go to 8 straight bowl games on accident--but I really thought this was going to be a little closer. I don't think I was prepared for how easily and thoroughly you were going to win in the trenches, but boy did you ever. Getting the headman back gave y'all a nice psychological lift too. You guys might be a little weak in the secondary, but we're as bad a passing team as you're going to see this year. As you could probably tell when we're down 26 and run 10 successive running plays. Regardless, I feel like west coast fans don't understand how high the quality of football they play in the Sun Belt truly is, and how good a program you guys have built down in Jonesboro.

I'm sure they just dusted off the game plan from last season and put it into action this game...

Thank you for the kind words. We have some glaring holes, but overall decent line play. Early in Blake Anderson's tenure we were getting whipped on D-line and O-line by some of the MAC teams we encountered (namely Toledo), so we changed our recruiting philosophy some and sacrificed some of the speed we had for size. So far it seems to be paying off. I feel like you guys are a better team than you are giving yourselves credit for. I wish you guys the best of luck with the rest of your season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT