ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV verse bsu

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
I think it is interesting that bsu fans think this will be an easy blowout game:

1) bsu has only beat one team at home by more than 14 points. That is ull from the sunbelt conference

2) next biggest victory was over sjsu by 14 points.

3) Hawaii is the only win by over 28 points for bsu

4) They beat NM by 28 points which would not have covered.

I just hope their team comes into the game with this feeling that it will be an easy blowout the same way Wyoming fans and the team thought they would win easily.

Hope to see UNLV play a great game and either keep the game reasonably close or even pull another UNLV soccer game style upset.

Go Rebels!

I think it is interesting that bsu fans think this will be an easy blowout game:

1) bsu has only beat one team at home by more than 14 points. That is ull from the sunbelt conference

I just hope their team comes into the game with this feeling that it will be an easy blowout the same way Wyoming fans and the team thought they would win easily.

Hope to see UNLV play a great game and either keep the game reasonably close or even pull another UNLV soccer game style upset.

Go Rebels!
I think them taking us lightly was shredded by our offensive output vs Wyoming.

Just throwing it out there...

But what if we are able to pull off the upset tonight? How epic would that be? Setting up a match up with UNR with bowl eligibility on the line?

Expecting a win tonight on the blue turf with our 3rd string back up down 3 WR's playing DBs and QBs is expecting a miracle. I know that. But man would it be sweet...

Just throwing it out there...

But what if we are able to pull off the upset tonight? How epic would that be? Setting up a match up with UNR with bowl eligibility on the line?

Expecting a win tonight on the blue turf with our 3rd string back up down 3 WR's playing DBs and QBs is expecting a miracle. I know that. But man would it be sweet...
Oh, it be amazing. I think they'd see a huge crowd next game.

Not happening, though I think the 28 pt line is awfully high. I mean, I honestly can see us getting smashed. But even though this is a good BSU team, it's not like we are playing who they once were.

(I feel like a SJSU fan talking about their chances beating UNLV in basketball during a "decent" UNLV year).

We are pretty banged up guys. Our depth is null. I am hoping for competitive game but it could easily be a blow out.

I am a huge Rebel fan but football is not like basketball. You need to have personnel and we are a little short in that department.

That being said. I hope we come out offensively and throw everything we got at them. Offense is going to need to come up big for us to have any shot.

90% runs and 10% pass = win!!!
I dunno, man. If we get this conservative, I feel like we get pounded. You have to be balanced. Against WYO, KP passed 32 times and our RBs rushed 48 times. Thats a 60/40 split. Now, KP ran it 16 times, too, but many of those were scrambles. Gotta keep them on their toes.

UNLV was just as banged up verse Wyoming. We lost two of the players at the beginning of the game and in trade for Boyd we get Lex back. But, we do need to hope that the freshmen receivers can step up.

Go Rebels!
You don't think this will be an easy blowout win? In Boise? I'm not a bsu fan but I think it will be.

Karaoke - far from a blowout. BSU had 380 yards to 302 yards for UNLV. A couple of stupid penalties or the game would have been even closer.

XFactor - don't accept a slaughter before it happens. The game was not a slaughter, and UNLV looked very respectable.

call it whatever you want. That game was 42-17 with 5 minutes to go in the last quarter. You may not feel like that's getting blown out, my perception is a little different

Reactions: RebtillDeath
It was 35-17 entering the 4th quarter. They scored and UNLV came back and scored. You don't get to pick what second you use for the score.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding what the definition of a blow out is. Regardless, this game was a comfortable win for them.

Reactions: RebtillDeath
We'll have to agree to disagree regarding what the definition of a blow out is. Regardless, this game was a comfortable win for them.
BSU was never uncomfortable, the game was never in jeopardy. It was relatively competitive for a stretch, but never in doubt. Myself, I wouldn't call it quite a blowout. UNLV looked competent and capable for enough stretches.

BSU was never uncomfortable, the game was never in jeopardy. It was relatively competitive for a stretch, but never in doubt. Myself, I wouldn't call it quite a blowout. UNLV looked competent and capable for enough stretches.
Undermanned offensively, unpowered defensively, horrendous special teams play took away any intangibles.

These guys have heart and CTS and coaches have them headed in the right direction. Another year of recruiting and development we will be looking at a competitive program in years 3 and 4.

New facility and stadium (Raiders or on campus) will cement the growth of UNLV football.

Had UNLV been able to put points on the board coming out of halftime, maybe things would have gotten interesting.

Regardless, the effort was there and they competed until the end of the game.

I thought Palandech played well considering his lack of options on the outside. X. Campbell has bounced back with two strong showings in consecutive weeks. According to a former player he had been in the doghouse with coaches.

Defensively, Vaolaga was dismissed from the team. For a unit already struggling this didn't help. Vaolaga has had a disappointing season overall, but we are hardly in a position where we can lose anybody.

One guy that bounced back this week was Mouton. I believe he was credited with 3 pass break ups, didn't give up anything deep, and was solid in run support.

Had UNLV been able to put points on the board coming out of halftime, maybe things would have gotten interesting.

Regardless, the effort was there and they competed until the end of the game.

I thought Palandech played well considering his lack of options on the outside. X. Campbell has bounced back with two strong showings in consecutive weeks. According to a former player he had been in the doghouse with coaches.

Defensively, Vaolaga was dismissed from the team. For a unit already struggling this didn't help. Vaolaga has had a disappointing season overall, but we are hardly in a position where we can lose anybody.

One guy that bounced back this week was Mouton. I believe he was credited with 3 pass break ups, didn't give up anything deep, and was solid in run support.
Mouton had been pretty horrible - up until last night. I almost didn't recognize him, polar opposite.

The expectation was never to win the game, it was to be competitive and to show that the team is improving. In the past UNLV would have lost that game by 40-50 points. This team still has its ups and downs, but overall the team is far better than it ever was under coach Hauck.

Mouton had been pretty horrible - up until last night. I almost didn't recognize him, polar opposite.

Its surprising how much he has struggled. He had a promising Freshman campaign, good Spring. I think he gave up a couple big plays early in the year, and it became a mental thing to some degree. I expect him to bounce back next year.

I think given the injuries we had on offense we played a respectable game. Good use of the tight ends. Kurt played well. Its tough when receivers can't get open. I liked the way X has played.

I'm so glad that the UNR is the final game as it should be again. It becomes a mini bowl game with a legit trophy. Unfortunately its not with bowl eligibility on the line, but a potential 5-7 year would be a pretty good sign of progress for this program. Of course beating UNR is always oh so sweet.

Enjoyed sitting amongst the few Rebel fans at this game, cold and wind notwithstanding. Many thanks to whoever it was who made the "We Believe" signs and passed them out among the faithful.

BSU has had an issue with these late kickoffs, especially late in the season when it's cold, with a large chunk of the fans not returning to their seats after halftime. It speaks to the Rebels' competitiveness that so many people stayed rather than head for home (or other warmth) early. As Joe mentioned above, the outcome was never in doubt, but the Rebs kept playing hard and just never let BSU fans get comfortable enough to leave early.

I thought the BSU passing game coordinator called an awful game. I know the book on the Rebs is to throw deep and often but A) it was windy and cold and B) the Rebel DBs were up to the task. Shoulda shortened the passing game and used the TEs more. And, yeah, why reach into your bag-o-tricks and get all cute when playing straight up will suffice. Dumb to put stuff on tape when you don't need to. I definitely agree that the gap is closing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT